PDA

View Full Version : Forums or Chat?

starseeker
06-13-2006, 02:54 PM
Do you prefer the EoFF forums or #eoff chat?

I like the forums because you can think about your response without the conversation carrying on without you.

Christmas
06-13-2006, 02:55 PM
FORUMS.

Tavrobel
06-13-2006, 02:56 PM
Forums > Chat. Chat has its uses, but Forums are just plain better.

bipper
06-13-2006, 03:06 PM
Stop saying we have a chat. ugh - the ignorance!

Reine
06-13-2006, 03:11 PM
I like both. When your new in chat, the regulars tend to pick on you and so on, especially if you bring up FF games as soon as you join xD

But when your a regular yourself, its very fun (imo)

Awrini
06-13-2006, 03:15 PM
You realize this is going to be a very biased poll.
At least half the people that go to chat no longer even come to the forums.

It might be smart to avoid me in chat. But everything I say or do is all in good fun.

Meat Puppet
06-13-2006, 03:18 PM
Times have changed for the better since I last frequented #eoff.

Flying Mullet
06-13-2006, 03:24 PM
I like the forums more. There's nothing wrong with chat but I like being able to walk away from my computer and read the forums as opposed to scrolling through lines and lines of text trying to catch up with what people are talking about.

Markus. D
06-13-2006, 03:26 PM
Chat, because that where posts occur in real time.

not some shoddy turnbased manner.

there are some people I dont like to chat to though...

Chris
06-13-2006, 03:26 PM
Meat Puppet is permanently banned from the chat. Hahahahaha! But, yeah. I prefer the forums.

Awrini
06-13-2006, 03:34 PM
Meat Puppet is permanently banned from the chat. Hahahahaha! But, yeah. I prefer the forums.

Yeah, and half the people in chat are permanently banned from the forums.

Though us chatters don't care.

Jess
06-13-2006, 03:35 PM
I prefer the forums a lot more but I like chat but compared to the amount of time I'm on the forums I'm barely ever in chat. :jess:

Old Manus
06-13-2006, 03:44 PM
You can't copy people's avatar and signature on chat.

Awrini
06-13-2006, 03:47 PM

But its already an undisputed fact that mine are the best. :rolleyes2

Madame Adequate
06-13-2006, 03:56 PM

But its already an undisputed fact that mine are the best. :rolleyes2

I remember that game.

But I muchly prefer forums. As in, I never ever go into chat, ever.

Spiffing Cheese
06-13-2006, 03:59 PM
The forums, probably, because I tend to get really, really bored really, really quickly in chat. I used to be in there ALL the time, though, and I've had some really fun times in there. :D

Spatvark
06-13-2006, 04:00 PM
I hate them all. I hate you all. I hate it here. I'm just here to make you hate it too =D?

Yamaneko
06-13-2006, 04:03 PM
chat is ghey lol

Awrini
06-13-2006, 04:10 PM
chat is ghey lol

LIES! LIES AND DECEIT! GET OUT! OUT I SAY! BLASPHEMER!

*dies*

Flying Mullet
06-13-2006, 04:23 PM
I hate them all. I hate you all. I hate it here. I'm just here to make you hate it too =D?
We hate you too, shnookums! :love:

Shauna
06-13-2006, 04:26 PM
The forums, probably, because I tend to get really, really bored really, really quickly in chat. I used to be in there ALL the time, though, and I've had some really fun times in there. :D

Yeah. :D I'm in chat for the most part, but I don't chat all that often. :p

Christmas
06-13-2006, 04:28 PM

Well said.

Clouded Sky
06-13-2006, 04:29 PM
Well, it used to forums, but once I started going to the chatroom more frequently, I don't post here as often.

Awrini
06-13-2006, 04:42 PM
Well, it used to forums, but once I started going to the chatroom more frequently, I don't post here as often.

It happened to you as well, eh?

~SapphireStar~
06-13-2006, 04:44 PM
Ive never done eoff chat, but I prefer forums.

Madonna
06-13-2006, 04:58 PM
*fora

Loony BoB
06-13-2006, 05:19 PM
Lynx: *points to the top of your window* Forums, 'sup.

The forums and the chatroom are two different things for the single community. I like both, a lot. I'd be very annoyed if either of them were to disappear, and having one without the other would just plain suck.

#eoff is great because you can chat to people who aren't often around in the forums, and often if an oldbie comes back, they'll go to the chatroom first (eg. Dan Walkie turns up once every six months, but the forum-only members would never know it), and of course Snizz is in #eoff, which gives it massive points, at least when he's active, which varies from month to month. It's more casual in chat so you don't have to freak out about as many rules and so forth when it comes to 'spam', for example.

I don't need to explain much about why the forums are cool because anyone who views this thread probably already knows. :D

At the moment, most of the people in chat are regulars in the forums, which is always a good thing in my opinion. Chat is a far, far better way to get to know people on a more personal level.

Look at it this way - If I want to discuss something, I'll go to the forums. If I want to get to know people, I'll go to chat. Both can be fun, though, so it's all good.

Denmark
06-13-2006, 05:28 PM
I prefer chat because it's a much easier way to make fun of n00bs. just one typo and I can be like "LOL SUP N00B LERN TO SPEL". whereas if I do that on the forums I'll get yelled at by Leeza. :(

and chat provides me with a good medium on which to talk to my friends. because I don't have all the PM space that all my friends do (because most of them are CKs wtf), plus I prefer the chatroom setting to a one-on-one conversation through private messaging. et cetera.

Gullick
06-13-2006, 05:34 PM
gotta be chat, im used to be in there all the time, but now im seeing how long i can go without it.

Chat is more personal, you get to really know the person you talking to, much more than you can in the forums. Chat ftw! :P

-Gull-

Awrini
06-13-2006, 05:42 PM
*fora

HMAU is correct. Fora!

Madonna
06-13-2006, 05:42 PM
It's not my fault that even admins fail, BoB. If you're complaining, however, then sure, I'll fix it as soon as I get a couple of shoulder taps. :|

Sefie1999AD
06-13-2006, 05:44 PM
I prefer the forums. While chat has the advantage of posts happening in real time, you can get answers to your questions faster and you can get to know some people better, you can write longer posts in the forums and take your time to analyze things, and you can also edit your posts later. The conversation can also keep on going in the forums. For example, if you want to create some discussion about something, you can make a thread about it in the forums, and it may go on for months without dying, but that same conversation most likely dies very quickly in the chat (most likely in less than an hour), whenever the conversation changes to another topic.

EDIT:
fo·rum Audio pronunciation of "forums" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (fôrm, fr-)
n. pl. fo·rums, also fo·ra (fôr, fr)

1. The public square or marketplace of an ancient Roman city that was the assembly place for judicial activity and public business.
2. A public meeting place for open discussion.
3. A medium of open discussion or voicing of ideas, such as a newspaper or a radio or television program.
2. A public meeting or presentation involving a discussion usually among experts and often including audience participation.
3. A court of law; a tribunal.

I'd say both forums and fora are valid. :D

Awrini
06-13-2006, 05:46 PM
At the moment, most of the people in chat are regulars in the forums, which is always a good thing in my opinion. Chat is a far, far better way to get to know people on a more personal level.

I somewhere in the middle at the moment, I usually frequent chat, and have spurts of posts on the fora. Sooner or later I will still frequent chat and hardly post on the fora. Then again, if there are good topics on the fora I would stay longer. Or something like that.

RSL
06-13-2006, 05:53 PM
I prefer the forums. I always get lost in chat. That's not to say I've never had fun in there, because I have. I think my chat days are pretty much over though. I just don't seem to think of ever going in there anymore.

Loony BoB
06-13-2006, 05:55 PM
I should probably note that when it comes to having a laugh, I'm way more likely to have a good laugh in the chatroom than the forums. Timing is paramount to humour.

Zeldy
06-13-2006, 05:57 PM
Ive started going in chat again, and Ive missed it xD

I prefer Forums though ^__^

Laugh at face of Danger
06-13-2006, 06:19 PM
I'm not cool enough for chat *cries in pain*

Shoeberto
06-13-2006, 06:19 PM
I enjoy IRC just because of the 'bo prettymuch. But it still beats the fora most of the times so eh.

Miriel
06-13-2006, 06:25 PM
Oh man, I really love #eoff.

Laugh at face of Danger
06-13-2006, 06:27 PM
the thought of #eoff scares me :( i'm just so pathetic

RPJesus
06-13-2006, 06:29 PM
Chat, because that where posts occur in real time.
not some shoddy turnbased manner.
Turnbased?! If it were not for the wonders of turn-based, we would not be here. Would we even be ourselves? :cry:

I like the forums better. Chat is an extra doohicky. It's nice that EoFF has that, but it's not the main thing. Chat is good (the bestest chat thing I've been to... and the only one), but more people use the forums, so more interesting and more conversation.
Chat's nice though, because you can talk to people... proper-like?

Samuraid
06-13-2006, 06:35 PM
I prefer the forums. There's more time to think about what to write.

Yamaneko
06-13-2006, 06:47 PM
More time to plan out how to overthrow Cid, eh Sam? ;)

Loony BoB
06-13-2006, 06:57 PM
I enjoy IRC just because of the 'bo prettymuch. But it still beats the fora most of the times so eh.
The... 'bo?

Psydekick
06-13-2006, 07:22 PM
Well, these forums are cool, but if chat counts as msn i say chat:p

rubah
06-13-2006, 09:13 PM
B0BxD, #fat_chocobo (wtf is it capitalized atm?, someone kick everyone out and undercase it)

I live for #A_Room myself. But you can have indepth conversations in chat, and it's easier to get more people involved. And you can do all sorts of fun things. Forums are rather dull because you have to click to get your point across, or tab then enter, rather than just hitting return6 _^

Shiny
06-13-2006, 09:14 PM
Forums. Chat is awkward.

Venom
06-13-2006, 09:16 PM
I cant even go into chat so I cant really say if I like the forums better.

Cz
06-13-2006, 09:59 PM
Forums for me. I never worked out how to use that chat thingy. :D

Rase
06-13-2006, 10:06 PM
I like to think about what I'm going to say, so I prefer the forums. Chat just goes too fast for me. I'll finally think of a response and it'll be to something that happened five minutes prior, yet it is now old news.

Also, I can make some pretty horrendous typos when trying to type fast, and that bugs me like no other. :(

SammieBabe
06-13-2006, 10:06 PM
Forums. I just don't have the time to devote to chat...
Unless BoB starts his webcam antics again...XD

-N-
06-13-2006, 10:49 PM
Chat (specifically #fat_chocobo) is leaps and bounds above the forums. It's like the perfect filter to the forums: filters out all the idiots, topics I don't care about, and people I don't really care about and voila, all my friends are there and we muck around, chitchat, and have fun.

I'm pretty sure Meat Puppet was unbanned. Unless something happened...

Leeza
06-13-2006, 11:17 PM
chat is ghey lol
I would have to agree with Yams. :)

I never go to chat. :cat:

-N-
06-13-2006, 11:48 PM
The... 'bo?It's the 'bo, baby! Get with the times!

Fire_Emblem776
06-14-2006, 12:16 AM
We have a chat??

Jebus
06-14-2006, 12:22 AM
Chat > forum.

Any place where I have power can't be bad. *nods*

Psychotic
06-14-2006, 12:23 AM
The forums. Although I do like to stop by chat once in a blue moon, however that always ends up with #eoff set to mode +m. Maybe this means I am too awesome for Internet Relay Chat.

Yuffie514
06-14-2006, 12:37 AM
message board > chat.

message board
it's like preparing for a report, xD. i edit my posts almost all the time.

chat
close friends in reality and those i meet online.

kikimm
06-14-2006, 02:20 AM
Forums forums forums. I don't like chat cause I'm unfriendly and don't want to get to know new people. That's only half true. But it's an excuse.

I like reading threads. And chat doesn't have usernotes. And well

ugh

eestlinc
06-14-2006, 02:26 AM
I voted you best chatter kikimm!!

in fact i will go in chat right now.

KentaRawr!
06-14-2006, 03:01 AM
Forums, totally. In chat people are too fast for me. :p

Hambone
06-14-2006, 04:33 AM
Seeing as my computer won't let me go on chat, (not because it's blocked) I like the forums more.

Christmas
07-09-2023, 12:49 AM
Chat/Discord has been proven better. :(

Psychotic
07-09-2023, 09:35 AM
I still prefer forums. :shobon:

My brain just doesn't really mesh well with the real time nature of chat and Discord. I know most people sit in there, idle, until there's a comment or remark that interests them. I find that really tough to do. If I'm there, I'm switched on and focused on every message and notification, even if they're not really of interest to me. I noticed with IRC, if I was in the chat that was it for my evening - I would not be doing anything else like browsing, watching videos or TV, or playing games. I'd be watching and waiting for every message that rolled in.

It's also why, if I want to watch gaming content, I'll do it on YouTube rather than live on Twitch. It's kinda become the same in my professional life with the ubiquitousness of Microsoft Teams and I often set Do Not Disturb on there if I need to focus.

I do pop into the EoFF discord every couple of months or so, or if someone @'s me, as there's some people I like who prefer to hang out there rather than forums but I don't make a habit of it. I'm also in a lot of other bigger Discords, like a few FFXIV ones for things like hunt trains and island sanctuaries, and you better believe they are all on perma mute.

tl;dr FORUMS UNTIL I (and/or they) DIE

Miriel
07-09-2023, 04:54 PM
I still prefer forums. :shobon:

My brain just doesn't really mesh well with the real time nature of chat and Discord. I know most people sit in there, idle, until there's a comment or remark that interests them. I find that really tough to do. If I'm there, I'm switched on and focused on every message and notification, even if they're not really of interest to me. I noticed with IRC, if I was in the chat that was it for my evening - I would not be doing anything else like browsing, watching videos or TV, or playing games. I'd be watching and waiting for every message that rolled in.

YES TO ALL OF THIS. How do people keep up??? And there’s no real way to even go back and read only engage with older comments/topics. It all just moves forward like an endless stream of consciousness. Like a massive group text on steroids.

Jessweeee♪
07-09-2023, 07:54 PM
forums like this just aren't what they used to be and sadly they never will be
i enjoy discord for the same reason i liked the forums, its a fun way to talk to cool people who share my hyperfixations
sure my discord/forum time split is probably 99%/1%
but its not because discord is "better," they just encourage very different types of communication
some of my eoff friends i posted with for years and we didnt truly become friends until discord because our personalities just mesh better when we word vomit in that stream of consciousness sort of way
i am personally a very poor communicator and i find it easier to talk on a more dynamic platform