PDA

View Full Version : Country Music.

Chris
06-13-2006, 08:05 PM
Thanks to Kirobaito, I've actually become quite curious about Country music. I bought a best of Dolly Parton and a best of Loretta Lynn, and I love it so far. I don't usually listen to men, so I need some suggestions. I don't really know that many Country singers, so I need some advice. I don't want any of the Pop/ Country music of today (Faith Hill, Carrie Underwood and so on), I want some old fashioned Country Divas. So, please help me out here folks. My favourite Country song so far is: Lazy Bones. I love that song. I need some help!

Kirobaito
06-13-2006, 09:13 PM
Emmylou Harris is the best name I have to give you. I first found her when she did a duet with John Denver ("Wild Montana Skies"), and I loved her voice because it was so unique, so I found out more about her. She's pretty good. Unfortunately, there aren't a whole lot of traditional country female voices.

It's not exactly country, but Judy Collins and Joan Baez both have incredible soprano voices, if you'd like to check them out.

Necronopticous
06-13-2006, 09:20 PM
Colin Meloy has written and performed some of the only country-western songs I can bring myself to listen to and enjoy. "The Bandit Queen" is a good example. Petty Booka is an all girl Japanese punk band that does country-western inspired music that is extremely adorable. You should definitely check it out.

Chris
06-13-2006, 09:21 PM
I know all the women you mentioned, and I will definitely them check out. I love when a woman sings the quiet- storytellling Country songs. I love how Dolly Parton wraps her silky voice around a song. I was thinking about Rosemary Clooney, but is she Country? I never knew how good this sort of music actually was.

Spammerman
06-13-2006, 09:26 PM
Charles Daniels Band. not the greates tever but i like them./

Samuraid
06-13-2006, 09:33 PM
I'm not that into country in general, only a few select artists.

Kirobaito
06-13-2006, 09:37 PM
I know all the women you mentioned, and I will definitely them check out. I love when a woman sings the quiet- storytellling Country songs. I love how Dolly Parton wraps her silky voice around a song. I was thinking about Rosemary Clooney, but is she Country? I never knew how good this sort of music actually was.
No, Rosemary Clooney is more jazz or big-band. She is good, though.

Rengori
06-13-2006, 10:50 PM
My mom, being born and raised in Bakersfield, California, loves country. When she only listens to 96.9 in the car, which seems to only play like 20 different country songs, it gets rather annoying rather fast. There is some country music I like though.

Hawkeye
06-13-2006, 11:59 PM
Johnny Cash, Jerry Lewis = Real Country

Today's 'so called country' = not country.