PDA

View Full Version : Steamboy

Sefie1999AD
06-13-2006, 10:21 PM
I ran into an Anime called Steamboy, and I'm thinking about renting and watch it. Has anyone seen it? Can you recommend it to me? It seems the DVD has both English and Japanese voices available, which is good. I don't really know who the Japanese voice actors are, though the English actors seem to be pretty interesting: Xavier and Rogue's actors from X-Men, Doctor Octopus' actor from Spider-Man 2 and Ashe's voice actor from Final Fantasy XII. How's the storyline, is it any good? How about character development and the action? If I watch the movie, I'll rent it later this week since it's over two hours long, and I want to see it both in Japanese and in English.

Necronopticous
06-13-2006, 10:28 PM
The only reason I could see going out of your way to see Steamboy is if you really loved Akira. Personally, Akira was one of the first anime films I ever saw so it has a bit of a special place in my heart, even though I consider it highly overrated.

Obviously I saw Steamboy really close to the time when it first came out, and I was extremely excited about it. Sadly, I found it to be an incredible bore. I nearly fell asleep numerous times while watching it and about 3/4 of the way through I couldn't wait for it to be over. If it wasn't for the reputation Katsuhiro Ôtomo had from Akira, I doubt Steamboy would have even been localized to the U.S.

I say don't bother with it.

~SapphireStar~
06-13-2006, 11:21 PM
I wanted to go see it at Leeds Film Festival, but I never got round to it. I also want to see it because Im a huge fan of Akira. But I doubt it will surpass Akira's greatness.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
06-14-2006, 12:32 AM
The consensus on Steamboy is that it was years of anticipation for a wholly lukewarm result. If you want to see a great Otomo movie, watch <a href="http://www.animejump.com/index.php?module=prodreviews&func=showcontent&id=665">Memories</a>.

Winter Nights
06-14-2006, 03:40 AM
The consensus on Steamboy is that it was years of anticipation for a wholly lukewarm result. If you want to see a great Otomo movie, watch <a href="http://www.animejump.com/index.php?module=prodreviews&func=showcontent&id=665">Memories</a>.
True nuff. Memories has a nice place on my shelf. I liked Steamboy, myself, though the English dub was pretty cringe-worthy. Especially, Anna Paquin. Love her to death in alot of things she's done, but that was pretty horrible.

Moon Rabbits
06-14-2006, 04:34 AM
I thought Memories wasn't directed by Otomo... Wasn't it kinda like Four Rooms?

Anyways, Steamboy was pretty good...there are better anime films, like Tokyo Godfathers, or Millenium Princess.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
06-14-2006, 05:32 AM
I thought Memories wasn't directed by Otomo... Wasn't it kinda like Four Rooms?Memories is divided into three segments, and although Otomo didn't direct them all, he still had his hands all over them. He created the short manga upon which Magnetic Rose was based; he wrote Stink Bomb; and he wrote, directed, and provided character designs for Cannon Fodder.