PDA

View Full Version : A 20-year-old with childish interests = hate from the public...

Peter_20
06-14-2006, 02:17 PM
I'm a guy who really likes to play around with "childish" stuff, and I take it very seriously.
However, none of my acquaintances really share this passion, and that's pretty boring.
My friends are generally much more interested in cars and vehicles, and my parents think it's "unfitting" to spend time with it "because I soon turn 20".
But really, why should I stop spending time with it if it brings me happiness?
I mean, they don't think I should play video games because it's "for kids" (yeah right, Perfect Dark and Resident Evil...?), they start whining whenever I read comics (Donald Duck ftw!) and I'm approached pretty much the same way by everyone around me.
I think this is very sad, I shouldn't have to adapt to their prejudiced views or anything; I'm an individual, I like childish stuff, they don't, alright, but they should at least shut up almost it! :mad:

Rye
06-14-2006, 02:23 PM
Aw, don't stress out about it too much. :) I am a 16 year old (well, in 2 weeks) that is madly in love with Spongebob Squarepants. I have so much Spongebob stuff in my room, it's crazy! I still watch kids shows. It makes me happy. My parents don't really care though, aside from some teasing, because they know I'm very mature for my age, I just enjoy Spongebob and kid shows. xD

Chris
06-14-2006, 02:26 PM
Live your life the way you think it should be lived. Why even care about what others think or say? You seem to have a lot of issues, as do we all, but why not try and come at it from a different point of view? We all rise above reality.

:)

RSL
06-14-2006, 02:28 PM
I'm 26 years old and I play video games. I'll admit, I play them a whole lot less than I used to, I have lost interest in them a bit. But if a great game comes out, I'm usually right there picking it up!

It sucks that people give you a hard time about it, but you should be you, not who others want you to be.

Christmas
06-14-2006, 02:28 PM
If you have no intention of changing for the sake of them, then you should alway remain as who you really are and if they are really your friends, they will compromise and accept you.

PS: I did changed a bit of my childish way when I started working though.

No.78
06-14-2006, 02:42 PM
S'what I say too, "who cares so long as I'm happy".

So long as it doesn't impind on other people's happiness of course.

Roto13
06-14-2006, 02:45 PM
Your interests seem healthy enough, so go for it.

Not like you're breastfeeding...

~SapphireStar~
06-14-2006, 03:02 PM
My family do see me as a child cause I love Harry Potter, computer games, manga, anime, Miffy and Hello Kitty. Because I would rather book or game shop then shoe or clothes shop, Im seen as immature and not very feminine! Just be yourself and enjoy what you want to enjoy. Who cares if your not the same as every other 20 year old on the planet? That would be dull and boring, we are all individual, so enjoy your life and your interests. Not someone elses.

bipper
06-14-2006, 03:22 PM
I have never really seen:
A 20-year-old with childish interests = hate from the public...
I have seen:
A 20-year-old with child interests = hate from the public...

That is about it. I have worked both grunt work and and corperate in the past year; and though both cultures are exremley different, I have only seen people think that those whom are interested in "little" things are 'cute'. People often have snippets of thier child hood they carry with them, and I for one am definatley on whom carries his in the form of memories. I envy those whom kept thier childhood interests close.

I would guess it is mainly a per regional stance; or prehapse more regional to your immediate group of peers :)

Bipper

Old Manus
06-14-2006, 04:14 PM
EoFF welcomes social outcasts.

Dignified Pauper
06-14-2006, 04:32 PM
i'm 20, most of my friends don't care. Some of my friends play video games, some of my friends are into sports.

I guess I'm an anomaly though. I'm a gay, sporty, gamer... WTF? I KNO RITE?!

RPJesus
06-14-2006, 05:29 PM
The people who make that stuff are all adults. Though, I guess people think thye're childish too.

People just don't treat video games as a media (thing). They treat it like a toy, for kids. Most of it's not. It's why people are so bothered by things like GTA- kids shouldn't be playing it. No, they shouldn't. That's why '18' in the big red letters? A lot of kids games are crap anyway.
And comics- Judge Dredd? Really kiddy. Nothing better for toddlers than fascist police states and all that spiff!

Laugh at face of Danger
06-14-2006, 05:41 PM
You only have one life, live it how you want. I mean, if i want to waste my life on the internet or on my playstation or drawing little doodles i will, nothing will get in my way. Just because you enjoy the simpler things in life doesn't mean you should try to conform with the stereo type! You seem head strong enough to know that already though, i'm just giving another thumbs up to do what you want!

Madame Adequate
06-14-2006, 05:44 PM
By 'childish' things I presumed you meant lego or Lazytown or some such. Videogames aren't childish. The preponderance of gamers are in their twenties.

And it doesn't matter what they think anyway, as long as you enjoy what you're doing. If you wanna play videogames, go for it. If you wanna play with barbies, go for it.

Jojee
06-14-2006, 06:06 PM
I like legos XD And I love stuffed animals hehee. And Disney movies for life <333 When I was around 9 I used to watch the Lion King every day until my parents 'lost' the tape XD (But now I have the DVD so I can still watch it every day! :p) I don't play video games as much anymore but I play happy childish mmorpgs where 85% of the people on there are younger than me (I'm 19) so that counts ;) Screw the people trying to be so 'grown up' and looking down on 'kids' xp

Resha
06-14-2006, 06:12 PM
Do not worry! I'm 16 and some of my favouritest things in the world are Winnie the Pooh, and Disney cartoons. I love watching Cartoon Network. You have right idea :p If you're enjoying yourself, why stop? Besides, people make such a big deal of acting "grown up" and "mature", but when they hit 30, they whinge endlessly about their lost youth and wish they'd done all the things they haven't. Don't have any regrets, I say, and do what you wanna do.

*So long as it's within the law not murder or rape etc etc ^__^

DeathKnight
06-14-2006, 08:06 PM
PLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY your heart out! Fuck the world and their boring AIDS-filled lives.

Be yourself!

MageLuingil
06-14-2006, 08:14 PM
Heh, I love legos too, I've got a lovely fleet of lego starships gathered on the windowseat in my room. Probably not a good place for them, pieces keep coming off...

Yeah, do what you want, what do those people care anyway? Besides, videogames really aren't "childish"

drunkymonkey
06-14-2006, 08:21 PM
If you are doing a legal and moral thing to get enjoyment, then no-one should question or belittle you because of it. Only ignorant people do, and they suck ass.

Rye
06-14-2006, 08:32 PM
By 'childish' things I presumed you meant lego or Lazytown or some such.

But... I like Lazytown. Don't you like Sporticus? ;__;

drunkymonkey
06-14-2006, 08:35 PM
Lazy-Town is a travesty to man-kind, created by Satan's minions to spur us all into suicide.

SuperMillionaire
06-14-2006, 08:38 PM
Oh, I like a whole bunch of childish stuff, like Animaniacs and LazyTown.

drunkymonkey
06-14-2006, 08:41 PM
Animaniacs was good. I quite liked Grim and Evil too, and the other one, with the bear with the brain, that owned as well.

Mirage
06-14-2006, 08:58 PM
This thread gave me a good idea.
I'm 21, and my parents call my games childish, yet both my mom and dad seems to enjoy the Harry Potter films. That makes for a nice counter.

Avarice-ness
06-14-2006, 09:00 PM
Omg, My sister and bro in law are 30 years old have two children one is 7 and one is a year old. My sister and Bro-in-law play the ps2 and my -neices- game cube as if they're 'kids' It's not the fact that they have children that they can act like 'children' when my sister was 23 and had my neice she was addicted to Ocarina of Time. =P But because of my sister's, my bro in laws, and my interest in gaming my neice plays video games. xD There's nothing wrong with it, as my sister said "Maddy (my neice) has been upstairs playing Mario Party for 2 hours, and you know what, I have no problem with that" "That's how we were raised" "Exactly" Just tell them to shut up, I'm sure if your friends arn't going around playing video games like you, they're prolly drinking and partying. Video Games are much safer than that. =}

I'm 21, and my parents call my games childish, yet both my mom and dad seems to enjoy the Harry Potter films. That makes for a nice counter.
My dad used to say my gaming and watching some anime was childish, until he took in the fact I want to do animation one day. So now I don't get harassed about that anymore.

Peter_20
06-14-2006, 09:01 PM
I'm 21, and my parents call my games childish, yet both my mom and dad seems to enjoy the Harry Potter films. That makes for a nice counter.Exactly.
Just show off some good childish stuff here! :D

drunkymonkey
06-14-2006, 09:05 PM
Gah, I hate it when people dismiss games as being childish, despite the over-whelming evidence to prove otherwise.

Alive-Cat
06-14-2006, 09:14 PM
Why should it bother you what view the puplic has of you? If I was in your situation, I'd alienate myself even more by running around the neighbourhood in a super hero outfit, to prove how childish I REALLY was. :)
But then again, I've went to school non unform day in boxers. :(
So it's best you do the OPPOSITE of what I've said. Which is NOT run around in super hero costumes, if my calculations are correct.

drunkymonkey
06-14-2006, 09:17 PM
One time there was a non-uniform day at school and I went in an luminous green tank-top. I still get people asking me whether I am gay or not.

Sefie1999AD
06-14-2006, 10:20 PM
I play Kingdom Hearts games and watch animated cartoons, such as Disney movies, which I think are a lot better than the average films out there. My little sister used to be a bit like "What the heck's up with you playing some children's game?" and she's never played the game so there's no use explaining to her there's some depth too... though I don't think she makes a fuss about it anymore. To those of my friends who think cartoons are overly childish, I don't talk about cartoons with them, and I still don't tell everyone that I'm a Disney fan. >_>

Here's something our student adviser said when he was training us to be tutors for the Freshman students. He said when people are reaching the legal age, many of them (though not all) will feel like they're now adults and "too old" to do play around, have fun and do other childish things, but when they grow up some more, they'll notice how fun those things can actually be, and that life doesn't have to be all serious and "adults doing only adults' stuff" after all. So I guess it's a part of growing that you'll learn to enjoy the childish things and playing around once again, so in a way you could say it's actually quite mature. As long as you don't overdo it. :p

*ETERNAL FANTASY*
06-15-2006, 12:00 AM
dont worry about it man growing up is overrated anyway!:D

Hambone
06-15-2006, 02:21 AM
I'm 12 so, I don't really know what to say about this, but, um, be yourself and stuff, Peter_20.

Madame Adequate
06-15-2006, 03:46 AM
By 'childish' things I presumed you meant lego or Lazytown or some such.

But... I like Lazytown. Don't you like Sporticus? ;__;

Of course I like Sportacus. He's no Robbie Rotten, of course, but still. Anyway, I <3 Lazytown. And that's clearly for kids. So, as with me, you must be big enough to not care what others think!

Lychon
06-15-2006, 04:24 AM
Anyone who says that video games and comic books are for kids deserves to be torn apart by a pack of hungry tazmanian devils. Console/computer games are here to smurfing stay and no one should give a smurf over what some idiot traditionalists say.

-LYCHON

Rainecloud
06-15-2006, 06:57 AM
I wouldn't have thought playing computer games would be considered a 'Childish Activity' in this day and age. I'm 22 years old, and I still play computer games fairly regularly - games like Super Mario Sunshine, Zelda: Wind Waker and Sonic Mega Collection to name a few. I've never been approached by anyone who thinks my hobby is childish.

Don't worry about it. They're probably just jealous that you have meaningful and enjoyable interests.

Leeza
06-15-2006, 07:28 AM
It's your life so you get to do what makes you happy. As long as you're not hurting anyone, that is. And I don't see how playing video games is hurting anyone. :cat:

Loony BoB
06-15-2006, 10:45 AM
Bah, I don't think the public hates people who play video games at all. People of all ages do it, and it's becoming more and more common every day. It's not the people who think it's okay that have issues, it's the people that think it isn't okay. Live! Have fun! Laugh! Play games! It's healthy to act like a big kid once in a while, if not often.

Peter_20
06-15-2006, 11:33 AM
Anyone who says that video games and comic books are for kids deserves to be torn apart by a pack of hungry tazmanian devils.Couldn't have said it better myself! :D
Ten points for you, man! :thumb:

hardboiled
06-16-2006, 06:10 AM
hey I read comics still and play music all day long and also try to get video games in and I totally have fun! Forget what people say, though you'll end up cold, lonely, and bored.. Really, I think you have to eventually "grow up" and take on more responsibility I guess. Hopefully it has something to do w/ your interests though. Ya know?

Like People view musicians who don't make any money from it as bums. But once they get a record deal they worship the ground those "bums" walk on. So it's all a matter of perspective. So forget those idiots and what they think. Do what you love, and try to bank off the people that are dissing you. Maybe opening up a comic shop would be your calling or something else that your interested in.

fantasyjunkie
06-16-2006, 07:07 AM
I'm 39 and people freak out when I talk about my favorite hero, Batman. Don't listen to the naysayers, ENJOY your life!

drunkymonkey
06-16-2006, 01:17 PM
But Batman hangs around with an obviously gay butler and and a man who likesgoing out wearing no trousers!

fantasyjunkie
06-17-2006, 07:35 AM
But Batman hangs around with an obviously gay butler and and a man who likesgoing out wearing no trousers!
:D :thumb: :laughing:

Peter_20
06-17-2006, 07:58 AM
:D :thumb: :laughing:

Reine
06-17-2006, 03:52 PM
Im 19 and I get made fun of for playing games. I also have an overactive imagination that further gets me made fun of.

Hell, my friend and I created a huge saga out of something as small as pretending we were villains in an RPG...yet weve been told to grow up and do something real.

Peter_20
06-17-2006, 04:01 PM
Im 19 and I get made fun of for playing games. I also have an overactive imagination that further gets me made fun of.

Hell, my friend and I created a huge saga out of something as small as pretending we were villains in an RPG...yet weve been told to grow up and do something real.Haha, dude, absolutely DON'T listen to those people who yell about "doing something real" all the time.
Tales and fantasies are IMPORTANT, ffs! :D

Spatvark
06-17-2006, 04:24 PM
EoFF welcomes social losers.

There, fixed.