PDA

View Full Version : The government is so stupid....

Peegee
06-15-2006, 04:14 PM
...that they gave PG a driver's license.

To put it in perspective:

- The first time I took the test, I made about 500 traffic violations under the pretense of being nervous

- The second time I took the test, I drove 80 KM (50mph) in a 50 KM (around 30mph) zone for about an entire block because I missed the sign

- The third time I took the test, I got stuck behind a truck (not a big deal but still) and didn't pass it, and then I made a left turn at an intersection with a motorcycle incoming (but wasn't really that close...still failed me based on that)

Today I passed with a 78%

Topic: how many times did you fail your test (if any), and if you haven't failed, explain how you did that! ahhh!

Zell's Fists of Fury
06-15-2006, 04:33 PM
I didn't even take a test. I took a class. Done and done.

bipper
06-15-2006, 04:38 PM
I failed the frist time at the NAZI boot camp Arden Hill, MN. Those bastards litterally set up every obstacle you could POSSIBLY come across. I did very well, till I had to take a left on a three lane one way street. When I turned, I went stright for the right most lane, and I failed. The one way road started right at this intersection, so after a little investigation ( I gotta learn to let things go) I found out that they fail a lot of people for that, and it is completely legal to turn as such there.

So how is that for encouraging. Not even the testers know the rules; as this testie found out.

Bipper

Peegee
06-15-2006, 04:46 PM
Wait

Is it legal to only turn when you are in the left lane to the far lane, or can you also turn into the left lane from the right lane?

Because the "500 traffic violations" test I took, I made that mistake despite telling myself just before the turn 'turn into the far lane -- you are in the middle of the offramp lane'

Talk about nervous.

bipper
06-15-2006, 04:49 PM
When the one way street (one way only) is just starting, or you are turning on to what is effectivly the begining of the street, you may pick which lane you want to take. This is in Minnesota. This exists becase of the short distance of many oneway streets in grid city layouts. Some exist for only a block, etc. That was the reasoning I was given.

Your logic was the same as mine at the time (just keep right).

Peegee
06-15-2006, 04:51 PM
That is never going to happen IRL so I can ignore this piece of knowledge, like I ignore most pieces of knowledge.

:D

bipper
06-15-2006, 04:53 PM
That is never going to happen IRL so I can ignore this piece of knowledge, like I ignore most pieces of knowledge.

:D

In a grid city layout (IE: New York City, Minneanapolis) you will run across this very OFTEN. I thought the same thing, then I ended up working in downtown minneanapolis.

bipper

Peegee
06-15-2006, 05:22 PM
This thread is officially dubbed: "Idiotic traffic laws no normal person needs to know but we'll still get tickets for" :D

Zell's Fists of Fury
06-15-2006, 05:36 PM
On that subject:
My buddy was driving down a three lane road in the middle lane at about 10:30pm. It seemed to him he was the only one on the road at the time, so he made a lane change without bothering to use the signal, as there was no one to signal to.
Suddenly, the cop who was following him with his headlights turned off lit up and pulled him over. My buddy got a ticket for changing lanes without a signal, which is bull/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif, and there was noone there to signal TO, or so he thought. Stupid.

War Angel
06-15-2006, 05:50 PM
I failed 3 times. I'm a terrific driver. It's just the testers here are corrupt bastards, and work for the most corrupt ministry EVAH.

I didn't really fail any of the tests. The testers just made up fabricated rules and said I didn't obey them, or stepped on the brakes for no apparent reason, etc.

Not to mention those fecking tests cost about 85$ each, and each lesson another 30$. It adds up to massive amounts of money, and I hope I'll be able to spend those sums again sometime.

Peegee
06-15-2006, 06:19 PM
I failed 3 times. I'm a terrific driver. It's just the testers here are corrupt bastards, and work for the most corrupt ministry EVAH.

I didn't really fail any of the tests. The testers just made up fabricated rules and said I didn't obey them, or stepped on the brakes for no apparent reason, etc.

Not to mention those fecking tests cost about 85$ each, and each lesson another 30$. It adds up to massive amounts of money, and I hope I'll be able to spend those sums again sometime.

I'm arguably a bad driver or not very good.

A more apt term is 'uncaring' or 'apathetic'. I just drive.

:)

bipper
06-15-2006, 06:30 PM
On that subject:
My buddy was driving down a three lane road in the middle lane at about 10:30pm. It seemed to him he was the only one on the road at the time, so he made a lane change without bothering to use the signal, as there was no one to signal to.
Suddenly, the cop who was following him with his headlights turned off lit up and pulled him over. My buddy got a ticket for changing lanes without a signal, which is bull/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif, and there was noone there to signal TO, or so he thought. Stupid.

while the ticket violation is very valid, did you ask the cop why the fuck he was driving at night with out his lights on? I mean, he has a duty to protect the public - not endager it. Of course, unless he was pulle off to the side of the road.

And puregheto, If you can admit you are bad at somthing, you know where you can imporve. Those whom claim to be awsoem or excellent drivers, have less areas to improve so less growing to do. Whether they claim this out of arrogance, or whatever is another point. :)

Bipper

Zell's Fists of Fury
06-16-2006, 01:20 AM
I wasn't there, as it happened to my buddy, but I think it's quite obvious he was waiting for my friend to slip up and make some dumb infraction so he could write him a ticket.

And sure,t he ticket may be a valid complaint under different cincumstances, but in this case he was on a road all alone. The purpose of a turn signal is to let other people driving along the road know you are turning or making a lane change, so they can adjust thier trajectory as such. If there's no one else there, what's the point of the signal?

bipper
06-16-2006, 01:41 AM
You are supposed to signal no matter what. IF you have a burnt out bulb, you have to use your Hand/Arm signals. You never know when someone is going to be driving with thier lights off or going 1000km/h, or whatever. Most driving laws are created to be fairly universal, so that you get in the habbit of doing it, not assuming there is no one present. That would be a horible habit to adopt.

Also, if you were to not use signals, this would define you as at fault in most no no-fault states, no matter what the other car was done. The law is there to protect you in multiple ways, and create senarios where liabilty can be determined quickly and easily. In a no-fault state, not using a blinker would not seem as big of a deal, except for detemining percentages each insurance company or propiator is expected to fork over to the other injured parties, or in the case of insurance, how much the insurance company would have to pay.

Laws have to be consistant, unless your famous. Its for our own good.

Bipper

Madonna
06-16-2006, 01:43 AM
I wasn't there, as it happened to my buddy, but I think it's quite obvious he was waiting for my friend to slip up and make some dumb infraction so he could write him a ticket.

And sure,t he ticket may be a valid complaint under different cincumstances, but in this case he was on a road all alone. The purpose of a turn signal is to let other people driving along the road know you are turning or making a lane change, so they can adjust thier trajectory as such. If there's no one else there, what's the point of the signal?The idea is that you may think that no one is around, but that's only what you see. It may even be true; the streets could be deserted, 3 AM, and no souls in sight. Still signal, because one night there could be someone you just don't see and wham, accident.

I passed my driver test flawlessly. It helps to get a lot of practice with your parents or whoever to gain the confidence needed not to freak out when tested. Instructors that yell at you for every small mistake help too because you learn to a) not make those mistakes and b) drive with someone yelling at you, which is, ah, distracting.

Kirobaito
06-16-2006, 01:45 AM
I got close to a perfect score on my driving test. Down over by Bellaire Drive, where I had never driven before, there was a stop sign that came up kinda suddenly on me (it still does). I didn't run it, but I had to slam on my brakes.

That was the only time I had to take it.

SammieBabe
06-16-2006, 02:28 AM

Yeah. And I made a B...:)

Hawkeye
06-16-2006, 02:29 AM

G SpOtZ
06-16-2006, 02:37 AM
Driving with the parents was the worst part. Let me explain my situation, or rant, or whatever you wanna call it.

So I went through my class, all I needed was my 25 hours of driving with my parents because that's just how it is in Illinois. I was nearly done with the 25 hours, pain-staking hours with my parents yelling at me for times where I didn't even make a mistake. It was terrible. But I was so close to being finished.

Mom crashes the car. She doesn't want me driving it, so I couldn't get my hours done. Therefore, couldn't take the test. How terrible. Normally I would wait until car was repaired, but, we moved to Hawaii before it was repaired, and we sold the car anyway. Now I have to figure out what to do, because getting your license in Hawaii is different, apparently. I don't know, still trying to figure it out. Permit might not even be acceptable in Hawaii since I got it in Illinois.

And there's my story. Just had to do with driving, and had to let it out eventually.

On topic though, some driving laws are whack, some are there for very good reasons. There's some stop signs that don't even need to be there, but believe it or not, they might've prevented even just one accident or collision. Oh well.

bipper
06-16-2006, 02:52 AM
gspotz; all 50 states play pretty well when you go for your license. I jumped between wisconsin and minnesota. Minnesota give you one try on a different states permit. From my understanding, minnesota is the worst state to get a license in if you are moving into state (as they have killer welfare and they try to protect it well). Long story short, when the bitch testing lady failed me, I had to wait one year with a minnesota permit to get my license. As I stated before, I clearly should not have failed there. So in general, you should be able to get your license there with little to no hitch.

Also. Minnesota FAILS.

Bipper

nik0tine
06-16-2006, 04:29 AM
wtf aren't you like 20?

I failed it twice. The first time I failed it because I can't parallel park, the second time I failed because of alot of harmless traffic violations. (in other words, I missed my turn and stopped in the middle of the road. :p)

Alixsar
06-16-2006, 04:42 AM
I fly when I need to get somewhere. Cars are for people with polio.

escobert
06-16-2006, 07:27 AM
I failed horribly twice with the same guy then, I got a new guya nd got a near prefect score. The first guy was a meanie :(

Blitz Ace
06-16-2006, 07:39 AM
i got my licence first go!!, but almost didnt... i was speeding in a school zone (which i didnt realise was there because i was so nervous... DAM PUBLIC EDUCATION SYSYTEM!!!) but luckily, the speedometer in the car i was driving was really far into the dashboard, and the instructor couldnt see it!! YAY!! wouldve sucked to have had to do it again...

Peegee
06-19-2006, 07:12 PM
wtf aren't you like 20?

Who, me or Bipper?

bipper
06-19-2006, 07:23 PM
wtf aren't you like 20?

Who, me or Bipper?

prolly you. Nik0 knows my age.... i think....

moreover, you don't display your DOB in your profile, where as I do.

Bipper Z. GOES!

GOD GUNDAM
06-19-2006, 08:27 PM
Well, I will have my first test on June 27th, but can anyone remind me step by step procedure for parallel parking and the 90 degree turning since I have to remember where the cones have to be in the car's window!

Madame Adequate
06-20-2006, 12:51 AM
I haven't failed because I haven't taken it.

Fuzakeru
06-20-2006, 05:33 AM

Hurray for Driver's Ed in High School.

I never scored less than a 95% on any driving test.

rubah
06-20-2006, 05:38 AM
I crammed the night before to get a 92% on the written part, and I stopped at every stop sign and went exactly 20 mph to pass the road test. If you go above 20mph or miss a stop sign, they'll fail you right there.

GhandiOwnsYou
06-20-2006, 06:49 AM
I went to a driving school, for two reason. if you're under 18 in VA, you have to take a week long "behind the wheel" class to get your license (it's like 6 seperate 2 hour days, you rotate with 2 other people. so its 40 minutes driving, 80 "observation" and then a 40 minute test) so you have to either go to a school, or take it at high school. and all the gym teachers at my high school (they're the ones who teach it) hated me. with a passion.

The driving school however, gave me a teacher that me and my friends (who also got their licenses their) came to call Instructor Hellen Keller. we started trying to fail to see if he'd notice. I did 95 on the interstate one time, purposefully did 30 over in school zones, and even ran a solid red light at an empty intersection (i could clearly see down the left and right, it was "safe" persay) my favorite was hopping a median to get into a left hand turn lane because the left strait lane was backed up to where i couldn't get in. I passed with a 100%. it was hilarious. makes me worry about the other people who go to that course though.... one of my friends rear ended someone at an intersection on day two because they slammed on brakes (it was a large SUV with a couple small cars in front of it that he couldn't see) and he still passed.

Peegee
06-23-2006, 04:22 AM
wtf aren't you like 20?

Who, me or Bipper?

prolly you. Nik0 knows my age.... i think....

moreover, you don't display your DOB in your profile, where as I do.

Bipper Z. GOES!

That's interesting considering I'm nowhere near 20 years old.

Dr Unne
06-23-2006, 04:32 AM
I absolutely could not drive, so I spent a couple weeks memorizing the road course I knew the test would follow. During the test, to start, my dad had parked the car in a fire lane (you could barely tell it was one; the test center was located in an all but abandoned old mall parking lot), so I was in trouble before I began. I forgot my turn signal while parallel parking, and I have no idea if I actually made it into the stall, but he told me to keep going, so I did. I sped through the parking lot and got yelled at for that. I parked extremely crooked (I hadn't really learned parking at that point) and had to back up and try again. I almost ran into a lady with a baby when I was backing up. I got out of the car and left my headlights on, and had to unlock it and get back in to turn them off.

I still passed on that first try. Gotta love Pennsylvania. Unless you commit 2nd degree murder during the test, I don't think you can fail.

abrojtm
06-23-2006, 06:49 AM
I passed my first time, even though I apparently had one of the harder testers. And also I messed up parking on an incline. And apparently, I'm a crappy driver.

Meh.

LunarWeaver
06-23-2006, 06:51 AM
I did horrible on the actual driving test...messed up everything. And yet I passed for reasons I don't know...oh wait, yes I do :shifty:

Rostum
06-23-2006, 07:21 AM
I passed on my first try. ^^; Wasn't really that hard, but I had a month or two of paid lessons before hand.