PDA

View Full Version : A Holiday from The Internets

Shaun
06-15-2006, 04:27 PM
Or vacation, to you Americans...

Yeah, I've had exams and stuff and I've really had to prioritise. So, that's why none of you have seen me lately. The exams are over now, and I have returned (yes, you can weep now). I really can't believe I missed the Ciddies though. I didn't think anyone here was bothered about me - I thought I could just fizzle away into the shadows without anyone noticing. I'm really glad I got some nominations though. I mean, there was being evil (oh, you know I am) and being nominated for being hit by a bus (it'll be that or a train one day, I bet), but I also got some votes for favourite regular.

I think it was eight votes, so, there's more members here who liked my rants and outburts and pointless advice than I thought. So, I thank those of you who voted for me (it's not like the Ciddies is a truly serious thing, but thanks anyway).

To put an end to my rambling, I'm going to set a topic to this thread: what is the longest time you've been parted from the Internet? Has it been on holiday, or during exams? Did it bother you?

Despite not having a connection at home, I usually go to the local libraries or use the college computers, so I often have an opportunity to get online. Anyway, how about you (yes, I know this whole topic is pointless, but I had to make a new one)?

~SapphireStar~
06-15-2006, 04:31 PM
Welcome back Shaun! Hope the exams went well!

I cant really say, hm. I guess it was when I went to Ireland last week for a week and a half with my family and boyfriend. He didnt like it cause he couldnt play CS. I was ok, didnt really miss it much.

bipper
06-15-2006, 04:40 PM
My lunchbreak is about 1 hour so I would say that. Though, my drive to and from work is 2 hours (one way) so... during that time I am a somber, meek, and depressed individual. I actually tap the keys on my laptop, and try to pretend... but it just aint the same :cry:

Bipper

Shoeberto
06-15-2006, 05:38 PM
I once did a three month break. There's some backstory involving how I wanted to leave this place behind and move on for whatever reason and stuff that led to my eventual return, but I won't bother going into it. Three months.

Shaun
06-15-2006, 09:32 PM
I'm sure this thread will soon evolve into a 'How much of a geek are you really?' one. :D Three months? Crazy. But then again, thanks to my bastard parents, I haven't had a connection at home for about a year and a half.

Also, may as well say it in this topic: who actually nominated me for those things? I'm just curious. Is there any way of finding out this, or would they have to tell me?

drunkymonkey
06-15-2006, 09:34 PM
LOL exams.

I've been having my GCSEs these past couple of weeks, but I'm rock-hard and didn't bother revising.

Jess
06-15-2006, 09:37 PM
I can't remember the last time I was away from the internet for more than like, 2 days.

...:( Oh god.

I'll be parted with it for a week in the summer though, as I'm going to Newquay with my boyfriend and friends for a holiday. :jess:

drunkymonkey
06-15-2006, 09:39 PM
You can't escape the Internets. It is impossible.

Fonzie
06-15-2006, 09:41 PM
2 and a half years O_o

Shaun
06-15-2006, 09:42 PM

Yes. You'll use your MOBILE PHONE! :eek:

Jess
06-15-2006, 09:42 PM
It's true. Although I'll be on holiday, I'll probably end up coming online in an internet cafe or something.

...I'm always online. Infact, the only time I'm not online is when I'm either asleep or not at home.

EDIT: I hope your exams went well, Shaun. :)

drunkymonkey
06-15-2006, 09:43 PM

Yes. You'll use your MOBILE PHONE! :eek:My phone is apparently WAP enabled. I'll be buggered if I find out how to use it though.

escobert
06-15-2006, 09:44 PM
I wen tot Europe for an month so I didn't have the internet. When I posted that pic that I got introuble for, Iw as in New Zeland at the time.

SammieBabe
06-15-2006, 09:44 PM
Most recently, the longest I've been away was last year, for about week when I got married and went on my honeymoon...

drunkymonkey
06-15-2006, 09:47 PM
I wen tot Europe for an month so I didn't have the internet. When I posted that pic that I got introuble for, Iw as in New Zeland at the time.Yeah, New Zealand doesn't have the Internet.

Hey, it was only a joke!

Shaun
06-15-2006, 10:08 PM
I hope your exams went well, Shaun. :)

Thanks Jess/Quina. :) They went generally okay but I won't find out till two months time! :mad: Didn't you have exams? Hope they went well.

EDIT: Might as well say thanks to SapphireStar too. :p Did you take exams? Aren't you at Uni? Oh yeah, tell your boyfriend to get SWAT 4. If he likes Counter-Strike, he'll love that.

Dearest Leeza, I'm not trying to turn this into general discussion but this is within the topic of exams hindering our eLife. I will try and stay on topic though.

drunkymonkey
06-15-2006, 10:10 PM
I only have one GCSE left, and that is the dreaded History Paper 3. Overall, I think I did pretty fine for my exams, especially in English and English Literature.

Rye
06-15-2006, 10:11 PM
Hm... about 4 days, when I went to Washington DC, actually? That's all that comes to mind. I'll be gone from it for 8 days though, when I go on my cruise in a few days. :p

ff7+ff10 gurl 100
06-15-2006, 10:13 PM
Um..longest ive been gone is...I think about a week. I was pretty sick and couldnt get on :) All better now :D

themagicroundabout
06-15-2006, 10:13 PM
I don't know, about a week maybe. I need to take a few weeks break from the internets though! Probably over summer time. :greenie:

Chris
06-15-2006, 10:30 PM
[B]To put an end to my rambling, I'm going to set a topic to this thread: what is the longest time you've been parted from the Internet? [B]
About a month. I did leave the internet for an entire month when I traveled across the great divide back in 2004. What an amazing trip I had.

Slade
06-18-2006, 04:30 AM
Man, you're lucky. The entire time I've been a part of this forum I've never been nominated for a Ciddie. I've been through 3 Ciddie competitions now and have never even been concidered........even when I used to be on here every day for hours :cry:

Oh well, next year perhaps *hint hint*;)

The longest I've been away from the net would either be when I left home to live somehwere else and couldn't be stuffed ringing the telephone company for a connection OR about two months ago when I went to Australia for two weeks.

G SpOtZ
06-18-2006, 04:43 AM
No idea, actually. Not very long. The internet's pretty important to me... not just for forums, but for communicating with friends and people about anything, or just looking up things that I might need.

Of course, if for some reason I lost internet communication with friends, I could just call em. Good stuff, cell phones. *cough*testicular/ovarian cancer*cough*

kikimm
06-18-2006, 06:05 AM
Haha, I think it was...almost 2 weeks, last year. I just needed a break from all things internet. It was nice, although I don't think I have it in me to do anything like that again. To be honest, keeping in touch with friends is usually more important to me than exams. But perhaps I only think that way because I seem to do pretty well on tests/exams without any studying. If I really needed to prepare and study, things would probably be different!

Next year I'll be gone for about a month and a half though. I don't know what I will do if I can't get ahold of a laptop. Oh god

Shaun
06-18-2006, 07:50 PM
I've actually logged into EoFF using my mobile phone before and even checked PMs. Haven't tried posting or replying, but it generally worked. Costs a lot though (if you do it via Google you can turn off images - saves major cash). Going on UrbanDictionary with my phone is absolutely hilarious. Thank God for mobiles. They're certainly overrated, but even their minimal Internet capabilities have given me some form of justice.

Loony BoB
06-19-2006, 12:45 PM
Since I started using the internet regularly, I've not really spent a week away from it. The most would be a few days, at a guess. Having said that, I would spend more time away from it if I was, for example, spending time with Danielle instead. Maybe I'll take her on some vacation someday. But yeah, when we're together and there is no internet around at all, we don't tend to think about it. When we're together and it's around, the time we spend on it isn't large, just the odd voice chat or quick check of LJ's or something.