PDA

View Full Version : can skinny guys gain muscle?

hardboiled
06-16-2006, 06:16 AM
I keep hearing this debate. The skinny guy says "no matter what I do I can't gain muscle." But I want to look like Barret of FF 7! I'm pretty skinny think I could do it?

Really though, what is everyone's experiences working out and trying to gain muscle?

I've gained some muscle and dont' really want to be big, but just in shape. But I guess I worked hard in the beginning. Now I only work out 2-3 times a week and work out pretty light weight but still look kinda big/defined. I would prefer to just be more cutup, but I eat too much junkfood, which is probably why I gain more mass. Anyhow, I was once a skinny guy.

So I'm your proof that any skinnny guy can get muscles!

kikimm
06-16-2006, 06:19 AM
I was working out pretty regularly for a few years, and I put on some weight - muscle mass. It was all right, but it's just so boring. And I like being leaner like I am now, as opposed to being kinda bulky like I was before.

Most of the skinny guys that I know DO have muscles. That's all they are, is muscle and skin and bones. It's kinda freaky cause you don't expect someone that little to be strong.

jjjjjjjjjj

G SpOtZ
06-16-2006, 06:20 AM
Haha. I like this thread already. XD

Yeah, I'm skinny now, but I've got a decent build, toned 6 pack, and long (not big) muscles but I'm a gymnast, so not much more you can expect. So yeah, skinny people can definitely gain muscle. Fast metabolism definitely tries to hold you back from getting huge, though. I don't even wanna be huge.

escobert
06-16-2006, 06:23 AM
No matter how much or what I eat I can't seem to gain weight. If I worked out ever (which I doubt I will) I know I could be muscular.

Hawkeye
06-16-2006, 06:26 AM
It's all about diet and how you eat to get built. Well, not only, but to get truly ripped and big you MUST have intensity and reps in your workout, which is much more important than power lifting in my opinion. Make sure when you work out you do different exercises for the same muscle, because this is the faster way to gain results. Again, do not focus so much on power lifting; focus on reps and intensity.

Markus. D
06-16-2006, 11:12 AM
I myself seem to bulk up rather quick o_0...

I followed what my friend at work told me to do.

"dont do this /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif where you have to be careful and follow directions, go all out until you cant lift anymore... then switch muscle"

Captain Maxx Power
06-16-2006, 11:37 AM
Different people have different body types. For example with me, though I don't seem to get particularly bulky, I am much stronger than I appear. Generally speaking the taller you are the more likely you are to gain weight (if only because you have more bone and muscle tissue to work with). Like kikimm said, guys who appear skinny can indeed be surprisingly strong, but I guess it's up to you, whether or not you want to be just big or big and strong.

http://www.actoractressgallery.com/bruce_lee/bruce_lee05.jpg

And just to iterate this point, this guy could kill a man with a single punch. Go figure :P

Chris
06-16-2006, 12:17 PM
I'm pretty skinny, and I do have some troubles gaining muscle mass in certain places. I still work out everyday to keep in shape, and I do see some results after a week of workout. My advice is just to keep at it, and you'll see some results eventually.

Sylvie
06-16-2006, 01:14 PM
I'm really skinny, But I have no fat on me whatsoever. I'm muscle, skin, and bone. But I am not too strong either. I've been trying to work out a LITTLE. I actually like being skinny, for if I got into a fight, I could surprise someone like hell.:plotting:

Loony BoB
06-16-2006, 01:37 PM
Everyone has muscle.

If you have a crapload of drugs or whatever, I'm sure you can bulk up. There are probably high-iron diets (or high-something, anyway) that can bulk you up too.

Some skinny guys can, some can't - at least not by merely working out a lot. I can work out a lot but I won't bulk up. My muscles might get stronger, but they don't get bigger.

Sylvie
06-16-2006, 01:40 PM
Everyone has muscle.

If you have a crapload of drugs or whatever, I'm sure you can bulk up. There are probably high-iron diets (or high-something, anyway) that can bulk you up too.

Some skinny guys can, some can't - at least not by merely working out a lot. I can work out a lot but I won't bulk up. My muscles might get stronger, but they don't get bigger.
I'd rather be stronger, not bigger.

Chris
06-16-2006, 02:49 PM
I've found that it is pretty easy for me to strengthen the muscles around my stomach and thereabouts. I hate showing pictures of myself, but here's what I mean:

http://i5.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/14cqstf.png

:D

*Dies*

Zell's Fists of Fury
06-16-2006, 03:40 PM
Everyone has muscle.

Yes you will. Not overnight, but if you seriously go through a workout regiment for a couple months complete with a high-protien diet and maybe some dietary supplements, you'll put on muscle. Anyone can put on bulk muscle, it just depends on how hard you workout and such.

Loony BoB
06-16-2006, 04:46 PM
Everyone has muscle.

Yes you will. Not overnight, but if you seriously go through a workout regiment for a couple months complete with a high-protien diet and maybe some dietary supplements, you'll put on muscle. Anyone can put on bulk muscle, it just depends on how hard you workout and such.
Like I said, not by merely working out a lot. They'd have to have a diet to fit it. Working out, on it's own, I can say does not cut it. I was far, far stronger after a few months or more at the timber yard. But you wouldn't have seen any visible sign of it. Working out on it's own, no. Diet + Working Out, yeah, I'm sure you can.

Madame Adequate
06-16-2006, 04:54 PM
...BoB was a lumberjack? ;D ;D ;D

Loony BoB
06-16-2006, 04:58 PM
Nope. We didn't cut down the trees, we just dealt to the wood and sold it off to builders. My muscle was gained from moving 10m long 6x7's around in the rain from one end of the yard to the other. Something I have no immediate intention of doing again... although I won't completely cut out the possibility as I have to admit it was a great workout. Wood gets really heavy in the rain. As if those lengths weren't heavy enough when they were dry!

Mirage
06-16-2006, 05:00 PM
If you're skinny, you'd probably benefit from eating more proteine-rich food after working out (or just in general). Proteines are vital to increasing your muscle mass.

Zell's Fists of Fury
06-16-2006, 05:03 PM
Everyone has muscle.

Like I said, not by merely working out a lot. They'd have to have a diet to fit it. Working out, on it's own, I can say does not cut it. I was far, far stronger after a few months or more at the timber yard. But you wouldn't have seen any visible sign of it. Working out on it's own, no. Diet + Working Out, yeah, I'm sure you can.
But you said in the very next sentance "I can work out alot but I won't bulk up."
Stop confusing me, BoB.:(

Loony BoB
06-16-2006, 05:09 PM
But you said in the very next sentance "I can work out alot but I won't bulk up."
I meant what I said - if I was to start working out for months on end, I would not bulk up. If I was to start working out for months on end AND start eating some major diet supplement iron power whatever pills, then I might. But just working out? Naw.

Manny Mo
06-16-2006, 07:26 PM
It's all about diet and how you eat to get built. Well, not only, but to get truly ripped and big you MUST have intensity and reps in your workout, which is much more important than power lifting in my opinion. Make sure when you work out you do different exercises for the same muscle, because this is the faster way to gain results. Again, do not focus so much on power lifting; focus on reps and intensity.
your dead on,ive been doing this and it works! make sure you eat alot of protien!

RPJesus
06-16-2006, 07:59 PM
I fat people can get muscley, so can skinny people. Working out and diet and bleh. Diet being steroids.
My dad muscle-trains. He takes all sorts of funny candies. It's just whey something and protein and stuff. Almost seems like cheating, but it helps. :)

So yeah. Unless you've got a funny little body are a just a lazy sod, you'll probably be fine. Even my tiny mater (an archaeologist) got muscley from digging with shovels all the time.

lovehurts
06-16-2006, 08:41 PM
I am skinny :cry: I can lift over 160 lbs though , well I used to be able to . Im so weak I can only do like 65 push ups at once for everyday. I know guys that can do like 120 or more. So Im pretty skinny and weak but I can suprise myself sometimes....;)

Peegee
06-16-2006, 09:26 PM
Limitations on metabolism and genes aside (you can't get an 8 pack unless you are 'born' with it, for example), you can get big.

How? By eating like a lunatic and pushing yourself to lift more and more. Basically work out like you mean it. You will grow.

Steroids also help. :lol:

Jojee
06-16-2006, 10:05 PM
You have to work out and gain muscle during your teenage years which gives you potential in the future, my HS track coach told me that once you're an adult and you never gained muscle, then it's so extremely hard for you ^^

Edit: Arg hardboiled what is with your avatar *hides under a tree*

anacacia
06-16-2006, 10:08 PM
Hmm... I'm pretty sure you can... but I know that skinny guys can gain weight... simply by eating McDonalds every day!!! :p

McLovin'
06-16-2006, 10:09 PM
Working out is a drag. I don't know if doing it every couple days does anything though...

escobert
06-16-2006, 10:11 PM
See I worked out last night!

G SpOtZ
06-16-2006, 10:18 PM
Limitations on metabolism and genes aside (you can't get an 8 pack unless you are 'born' with it, for example), you can get big.

How? By eating like a lunatic and pushing yourself to lift more and more. Basically work out like you mean it. You will grow.

Steroids also help. :lol:
Err... I'm close to an 8 pack, so does that mean I was born with it? XD

-N-
06-16-2006, 10:56 PM
Sweet! I've been trying with marginal success for my whole life. It might have to do with my low metabolism not giving me enough nutrients, but I'll give it another shot once I get back to the States and get my free gym access.

Vincent, Thunder God
06-16-2006, 11:21 PM
I'm sort of mid-weight for my height, not too skinny through-out the body but I have skinny arms at the moment. I'm working on building my muscles and it's going very well. So I feel that even if you're skinny you can become well-muscled. My muscles are already building visibly after a week of push-ups. My legs, however, were very powerful from the start due to heavy-duty biking.

Zell's Fists of Fury
06-16-2006, 11:52 PM
I meant what I said - if I was to start working out for months on end, I would not bulk up. If I was to start working out for months on end AND start eating some major diet supplement iron power whatever pills, then I might. But just working out? Naw.
To be honest, you'd still gain muscle without the protien diet, just much more slowly.

lovehurts
06-16-2006, 11:57 PM
I wish I was so strong that I could tear my own nuts right off.

RAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Jojee
06-17-2006, 12:12 AM
. . .

XD

I can help you with that. And anyone else, too. ;)

lovehurts
06-17-2006, 12:37 AM
Hmm maybe I should start working out so that when Im 80 years old in the old folks home ...no one will be able to catch me in my wheel chair to steal my white dentures.

TRUTH!!!

IVE SEEN IT!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

escobert
06-17-2006, 01:10 AM
. . .

XD

I'm down!

lovehurts
06-17-2006, 01:14 AM
. . .

XD

I'm down!

:tongue:

hardboiled
06-17-2006, 06:01 AM
Working out is a drag. I don't know if doing it every couple days does anything though...

It does get repetitive and boring if you aren't training for anything in particular. I used to train hardcore for MMA. Now I hardly work out, like 1-2 days a week, 3 if I'm lucky. But I get ripped easily because I still have the same muscle cells from before. So once you work your ass off, you can chill and not workout so hard.

FallenAngel411
06-17-2006, 06:11 AM
I've been working out every day for YEARS. Yeah, I'm in good shape I guess, but I'm not lean and muscled or anything, just skinny. And I know I have abs, I can feel them in there. But I can't see them. It saddens me. EXERSIZE IS A JOKE. :cry:

GOD GUNDAM
06-17-2006, 07:00 AM
Well, you need to burn off the fat that are covering your abs, so in order to do that just jog/run a mile or two every other day! Also, the fat that are covering your abs would be the last portion of your body fat to be burn off from jogging! Also, what kind of pills should I take (brand(s)) since I'm also skinny and not muscular!

Zell's Fists of Fury
06-17-2006, 05:28 PM
Pills are for chumps.

If you want to gain muscle, as I've said, you need to start a wieght lifting regiment. A high-protien diet would be VERY benificial, as your muscles need protien to rebuild themselves after a workout. I personally use a creatine supplement, which help you build muslcle quicker. With that, you have to drink a ton of water, as one of the things it does it helps muscles store more water, which in turn helps them rebuild faster and more efficiently. Or something like that. i dunno.

If you're serious about gaining wieght and muscle, I'd suggest finding a professional trianer or something to help you out.

GOD GUNDAM
06-17-2006, 10:19 PM
Does anyone know a site that would help me to find out what kind of a high protein diet that I should use? Since a lot of meat=a lot of proteins=the problem is a lot of meat is a bad thing!

Zell's Fists of Fury
06-18-2006, 12:03 AM
Just cruise your grocery store or whatever to find out. Look at nutrition labels. Meats, dairy, eggs, fish, nuts, legumes, seeds, etc all have high protien in them.

You can also buy protien powder to make protien shakes. The kind I use is Muscle Milk and it actually tastes pretty damn good. Especially the Cookies and Creme kind.

Loki Fenris
06-18-2006, 12:58 AM
I like skinny guys with long muscles