PDA

View Full Version : What do you think mainly makes The Lord of the Rings so great?

Peter_20
06-16-2006, 07:21 PM
Lots of people think The Lord of the Rings is great indeed, but why?
What do you think? :)

I personally think it's the hopeless struggle of the small and "meaningless" people; I think it's great that two relatively fragile hobbits enter into The Black Land - completely alone - and actually manage to fulfil their impossible mission.
It kinda makes you believe anything is possible. :heart:

The backgrounds are cool as well: everything ever mentioned in the books has been narrated in detail in various other books by Tolkien. :cool:

Rikku_Yuffie_girl
06-16-2006, 07:50 PM
I think its the story line its awesome not too long but not short :D :D plus u can really get into the story makes you care whats going on

Resha
06-16-2006, 07:55 PM
Tolkien is like -- a god. He's put so much detail into Middle Earth and crafting out its story, that it's like a real world in itself. The history of men, Elves, lands in Middle Earth. I mean, I always feel like I can curl up with The Silmarillion and just get completely immersed in Middle Earth.

The struggle of small versus big is also very beautiful; it's uplifting, and yet there's always this meaningful, almost tragic -- yeah, well, it is tragic because Frodo shouldn't have left ;___; -- undertone to it.

I'm like a total LoTR geek so I went and bought copies of JRR's notes/drafts, which were (I think) edited and published posthumously by his son, Christopher Tolkien. The very fact that -- I'm using "Volume 9, Sauron Defeated" as an example -- JRR rewrites one chapter in the book out something like three times, because the dirction of Mount Doom or something doesn't fit in properly just shows. :D

Not to mention how his characters always have these blatant qualities about them, which makes it so much easier to empathise with them and recognise them. It's all so authentic.

Ah, I'm off on a tangent. But they're beautiful. Great stories, with depth and detail. Some people say it's boring, but it thrills ME!

Chris
06-16-2006, 08:06 PM
I've only read the first two books, and I loved them. I wasn't really that interested in the Lord of the Rings until the movies were made.

I went to see the first movie, and I was floored. I had never seen anything like it before; everything seemed so life-like: from the amazing backgrounds to the stunning settings. I was awestruck.

I'm planning on reading the last and final book, but it is too hot at the moment to actually sit down and read through a book that enormous. I love Lord of the Rings.

Oh yeah, the movies are perhaps some of the most atmospheric I have ever seen.

Lychon
06-16-2006, 08:52 PM
It's great because of the excellent execution of fantasy in a fantastical universe.

-LYCHON

~SapphireStar~
06-19-2006, 01:38 PM
It was an excellent book and Peter Jackson did a great job in creating Middle Earth and its characters. It was made believeable and was just amazing.

Tavrobel
06-19-2006, 03:17 PM
It's great because of the excellent execution of fantasy in a fantastical universe, yet it has the semblance of basic human emotions and common actions and struggles, that is able to resonate with readers of nearly any age that are able to read it the way through.

I always feel like I can curl up with The Silmarillion and just get completely immersed in Middle Earth. And read it fifteen times in a year. For fun.

Shoeberto
06-19-2006, 03:18 PM
I think its the story line its awesome not too long but not short :D :D
Not too long? I'd like to know what version of the book or movie you were using 'cause they both ran a little long to me x.o

I can't comment on the books because I found them to be terribly boring.

The films, however, were mostly effective due to Peter Jackson's directorial style, which presented everything in such a way that you could feel it. The Uruk-hai (fanpeople correct my spelling 'cause I'm sure that's wrong) being manufactured in the depths of that trench was presented as frightening and gritty; the elves were presented as soft and comforting before the fellowship set out on the big adventure. Cinematically, it was all done beautifully.

Skyblade
06-19-2006, 03:54 PM
The movie was not a success because of any one factor. It was amazing because of all the work that was put into every aspect of it.

First, we have the world, it's history, and it's plot, and for that we can only thank J.R.R. Tolkien for everything he put into it. He originally created the languages, and he built Middle Earth to have a world which his languages could live and interact in (what more would you expect from a linguist?). This may not seem like a winning formula for a novel, but it wound up fantastic. He put so much detail into the world, yet still came across with a compelling plot.

Second, we have the actors. The selection of the various actors was executed perfectly. Each of the actors played their characters flawlessly. We can understand where Boromir was coming from, with his desire to help his country and please his father. We can watch the growth of Legolas and Gimli's friendship. The actors gave this performance their all, and it payed off.

Third, we have the details of the special effects. WETA Workshop worked so long and hard on making every detail as authentic as possible, and, when they had to use computer graphics, they made sure that they were as high quality as everything else. Every prop they worked on until it was right, even if though you might never see it. Things were built not just to look good, but to fit the purpose for which they would have been used.

These are only a few of the things that made this movie so awesome. I'd list more, but I have to go watch it again. TTFN!

fantasyjunkie
06-20-2006, 08:57 AM
I love the books because the characters had lots of witty dialouge, for example when( I believe it was Pippin) one of the hobbits wanted to take a shortcut that led by his favorite tavern and Frodo said no because they would get drunk there and that "short cuts make long delays so they must avoid that route at all costs". Little things like that just added flavor to the series.
As for as the movie goes, I liked them because they were done in a very serious mood with very serious music. Not at all camp. To this day my favorite part out of all 3 movies is the very beginning of the first film which had the narrative. Very well done!

Captain Maxx Power
06-20-2006, 11:26 AM
LotR's is great primarily because of the vast amount of facial hair involved, and feet hair.

escobert
06-20-2006, 11:41 AM
and armpit hair.

~SapphireStar~
06-20-2006, 12:45 PM
I guess also the thing that impressed me was not only the make up, set design and OST, but how Jackson created the hobbits sizes. I was very impressed with that.

Reine
06-20-2006, 01:08 PM
There were no Red Mages in it. Therefore, it doesnt get much loving from me.

Zell's Fists of Fury
06-20-2006, 05:12 PM
It didn't have enough robots either.

I Took the Red Pill
06-20-2006, 05:23 PM
Tom Bombadil friggin' made that series.

kidney / theif
06-20-2006, 05:37 PM
The special effects.
But I don't really like LoTR, so.
:cat:

Del Murder
06-21-2006, 04:25 AM
Fantasy setting. Heroic and diverse characters. Epic story full of adventure and action. Ingredients for success.