PDA

View Full Version : Help with the COMET spell

psychoden
06-16-2006, 07:39 PM
Comet 2 is a unique spell in FF7 in that it hits 4 times and can be Quadra-Magic-ed.

With a W-magic and Quad-Magic, you can potentially hit your opponent 4*4*2=32 times per turn.

Note that KotR hits 13 times and cannot be Quadra-magic-ed, meaning that at most it can hit 26 times per turn.

This matters the most in boss battles (namely emerald and ruby weapon), where there's only one target for you to hit.

Hence, I have been trying to find a way to crank up the dmg I can get from comet2. I've tried everything from multiple MP turbos, Magic pluses, etc etc, hacking the game to get 255 magic attack etc etc.

The highest dmg I could get was 3000-4000 per hit, compared to the 9999 per knight in KotR.

Is there any way I can get increase the comet dmg to 9999 per hit?

Anything from materia combos to save game editing to memory addresses for the power of the spells will be appreciated.

~psycho

edit: magic, not mp pluses

Masamune·1600
06-17-2006, 04:16 AM
Unfortunately, Comet2 is limited by the statistical parameters of the spell: damage per comet is only 1 7/8 times base, while KotR is (to compare) 5x base. Moreover, while increasing the number of hits, Quadra Magic will also reduce the damage of the hits. Further still, as pertains to the Ruby Weapon fight, KotR is far superior by virtue of its defense-ignoring qualities. This is why it still hits for normal damage against Ruby, while most attacks drop to nearly nothing.

One way to boost this combination beyond the damage you've seen so far would be to use it in conjunction with All Lucky 7s. This is limited by the fact that only Emerald and Ruby can withstand the initial sequence of damage, but your combination combined with 7777 HP would result in 32 hits of 7777 damage against those two foes.

psychoden
06-17-2006, 05:59 AM
Thank you for your kind and generous reply...

I wonder... is there any way for me to change the base, perhaps by editing the game files? : (

I have been crazed by this idea for the past four days!! *Sigh*

If the dmg itself is limited to 1.875xbase, and if it is affected by opp. magic defense, the only way I can see of realizing this dream right now would be:

1) figure out how the game might recognize mag attack beyond 255.

Hope for this is seen from the fact that dmg from a 255 mag-ed, mp turbo-ed Quad-Mag comet2 hits for about 3k-4k dmg each.
Now, a hero drink supposedly increases the character's stats temporarily for the battle. One would think that since a 255 mag attack is at the 'cap,' a hero drink would not have any effect. However, the same character who did 3k-4k dmg before now did more than 6k dmg against the same enemy after 4 hero drinks.

2) change the base dmg value of the comet2 spell.

The only way I can see this happen is by editing the game files, which I am no expert at. Masamune-1600, may I ask where you found the 1.875 value? I might be able to gather some more information through your source...

3) KotR did 9999 dmg w/o the mp turbo. This means that even a 50% reduction in the power of a 5x base spell is still above 9999 when matched with 255 mag.

The significance of this is that if I can get comet2 to somehow ignore the defense, then I might be able to achieve 9999 dmg without any other alterations.

Any suggestions?

~Psycho

starseeker
06-18-2006, 05:01 PM
You're talking about some serious reprogramming here. The magic stat is aways an 8 bit number so it cannot be above 255. Making a spell ignore defence is also tricky. I'm not an expert but that is what I think.

boys from the dwarf
06-19-2006, 06:01 PM
kotr and omnislash are powerful enough already. why do you need a hyper powered comet spell?