PDA

View Full Version : I Can't Seem to Finish a Book.

Chris
06-16-2006, 08:33 PM
I just can't seem to finish books. I start on them, but I am never able to actually complete them.

It was like this all through school, and I always got in trouble for not completing an assignment. I think the only time I've ever managed to get it together, was through my last finals back in 2002. I thank God that I actually found the interest to finish the project. I don't like to think about what would have happened if I didn't.

This has been quite a problem for me, especially since I love reading, and I love books. Reading is a getaway to an estranged, but magical world, and I'd love to actually visit there some time.

Am I the only one who have this problem? I just can't seem to find the interest to finish a book I've started on.

Hawkeye
06-16-2006, 08:34 PM
I see absoutely no point in getting half way into a book and quitting unless the book sucks.

Rye
06-16-2006, 08:34 PM
Unless a book really does not interest me, I read them really quick. I love reading, I do it very often. :)

amratis
06-16-2006, 08:36 PM
Sounds like maybe you're not reading very good books? What books are you trying to read now but cant finish?

Maybe theres something going on in your life right now thats putting your concentration levels down?

G SpOtZ
06-16-2006, 08:40 PM
Personally, I hate books. Can't stand em. They make my eyes and head hurt.

But when I need to finish a book for school or something, I roughly skim through them because almost all the books that schools make me read are not very interesting... at all. However, if I ever do find a book worth reading, I can finish it eventually.

Try this: when reading, and finding yourself not able to finish it, predict what will happen next, or what you want to happen next, whether it be big or small. That's motivation for you to continue reading the book, so you can find out if you're right, and you find out what happens next.

Chris
06-16-2006, 08:40 PM
It doesn't matter which book I'm reading, I'll never finish it. I've managed to actually read the first two Lord of the Rings books, but that was only because I violently forced myself to do so. :D

Everything in my life is fine. I'm content and I always have been. I guess it is just another one of my many issues. I don't know, really. I hope it gets better.

I'm such a moron, I don't know. I can't really help it.

amratis
06-16-2006, 08:44 PM
Dont be silly, how are you a moron because you cant finish a book? It doesnt make you a moron.

Mebbe its just a phase or something?

G SpOtZ
06-16-2006, 08:46 PM
If you're a moron, I'm a single cell amoeba.

Chris
06-16-2006, 08:56 PM
Dont be silly, how are you a moron because you cant finish a book? It doesnt make you a moron.

Mebbe its just a phase or something?
I suppose you're right. Since I've had this problem for most of my life, I doubt it will ever go away.

Resha
06-16-2006, 08:58 PM
I always find the Internet to be a very distracting factor when I'm reading books. But I love them so much I read 'em anyways. ^_^

nik0tine
06-16-2006, 09:05 PM
I hate reading.

Luara
06-16-2006, 09:07 PM
It doesn't matter which book I'm reading, I'll never finish it. I've managed to actually read the first two Lord of the Rings books, but that was only because I violently forced myself to do so. :D

Everything in my life is fine. I'm content and I always have been. I guess it is just another one of my many issues. I don't know, really. I hope it gets better.

I'm such a moron, I don't know. I can't really help it.
you can read my story ^.^

... and youll finish it :) "I promese... MHUAHAHAH":choc2:

McLovin'
06-16-2006, 09:09 PM
http://sparknotes.com

anacacia
06-16-2006, 09:13 PM
I have this problem too. I only read the books by my favorite author (V.C. Andrews!!!).

Don't worry about it. What you should do is find a genre of books that you like, take a peak in them, and see if you like a random page, if you do, then buy the book, or get it from the library. I've also gotten interested in Steven King. His books are really slow in the beginning, but then they are really thrilling in the middle and end.

Maybe you should try these authors. V.C. Andrews may be a little girly though if your not into that stuff...

Hope I helped!!!

~Anacacia

~SapphireStar~
06-16-2006, 09:17 PM
The reason I dont finish books is because I come to a slow part of the book and start another one. Im reading about 7 different books at the moment!

anacacia
06-16-2006, 09:18 PM
Thats happened to me. I put a book down and then I found a different one, and then I put that one down... and etc. It just kept going. Then I found out I was reading so many books... I had to restart them all!!!

Venom
06-16-2006, 09:21 PM
Weird, I cant seem to start a book.

Zeldy
06-16-2006, 10:18 PM
Im like that. I have phrases when I'll either read a book or draw, or play a certain game etc.

Ive started so many gamecube games and left them unfinshed.

My phrases are so annoying, I have them with EVERYTHING.

Dreddz
06-16-2006, 10:23 PM
I get a headache after 2-3 pages.

Aurey
06-16-2006, 10:26 PM
If I'm supposed to read a book, I'll read it all, no problem. If I force myself to start a book and it's terrible, I stop reading. That's why I usually only usually read books that interest me in some sort of way.

I had to read Cue For Treason this year. When I wasn't reading or writing chapter summaries, I was complaining about how awful it is. Ugh, so terrible.

-N-
06-16-2006, 10:53 PM
Use a rewards system. Behavioral psychology, yeah, but it definitely works.

Vincent, Thunder God
06-16-2006, 11:25 PM
I just can't seem to finish books. I start on them, but I am never able to actually complete them.

It was like this all through school, and I always got in trouble for not completing an assignment. I think the only time I've ever managed to get it together, was through my last finals back in 2002. I thank God that I actually found the interest to finish the project. I don't like to think about what would have happened if I didn't.

This has been quite a problem for me, especially since I love reading, and I love books. Reading is a getaway to an estranged, but magical world, and I'd love to actually visit there some time.

Am I the only one who have this problem? I just can't seem to find the interest to finish a book I've started on.

1. Improve on your general reading skills and the speed of your reading will increase, so you will finish the read quickly.

2. Try to pick books that you will enjoy a lot all the way through. It's a good idea to start with a book you know will be an addictive read.

3. Start with short books and work your way up to the long ones.

4. Keep a good schedule of reading... try to get a few chapters in each week. You'll lose interest as you lose your schedule.

Levian
06-16-2006, 11:30 PM
Chris and BoB Should Team Up and Capitalize First Letters of Words in Every Thread Title. :tonberry:

Craig
06-16-2006, 11:31 PM
Maybe you just find reading boring. I know I do.

Ki Ki
06-17-2006, 02:22 AM
I used to have that problem! You just need to find a genre you're interested in Chris! For me it's romance all the way! n____n
I think what you should do is go back to the author that wrote the last book you were actually interested and managed to finish and find more of his/her books.
Like me for example! Right now I'm only able to finish reading Georgette Heyer's novels and I refuse to read anything but her!

Christmas
06-17-2006, 02:32 AM
Read comics instead.

MageLuingil
06-17-2006, 02:47 AM
There's only been one book I haven't been able to finish so far, and that's because it wasn't worth reading. I can't stand leaving a story half-finished, personally. It drives me crazy.

ZeZipster
06-17-2006, 02:48 AM
I had the same problem. Then I went back to Dr. Seuss and all was merry again! :)

Fonzie
06-17-2006, 04:45 AM
Maybe you have A.D.D?

Moon Rabbits
06-17-2006, 04:51 AM
Read Perks of Being a Wallflower. It's short and one of my favourite books. I read it in a day due to it's short length and the awesome writing style and story(ies) told.

Chris
06-17-2006, 12:56 PM
Maybe you have A.D.D?
Nah, I'm just restless that is all. I've always been restless. I can't sit still, I need to have something interesting going on.

Thanks for all the advice.

=)

Luara
06-17-2006, 02:31 PM
whats a.d.d??

still...read mine book ! youll like it ^.^ and you dont even have to worry about finish it, because its not finished yet..lol