PDA

View Full Version : Dry dialogues...

Peter_20
06-17-2006, 07:03 AM
I always found the dialogues and conversations in this game to be incredibly short and "dry".
It's hard to really take the chars seriously; it doesn't actually feel like they are a team or anything.
They just talk to each other as if they were full of hate, and were forced to talk or something.
Let me introduce a typical conversation, FF6 style:

"Kefka's Tower is there. The time has come to smash him."
"But we can't reach it. What do we do?"
"Aye, aye, aye..."
"We're gonna use my airship..."
"WHAT? Airship?"
"*nods*"
"..."
"We've got one last chance on this Kefka..."
"How will we enter his Tower?"
"We'll split into groups, and get on him that way. I'd like to put an end to this now..."
"But wait! Let's find the other guys in our party."
"Right. We still have time."
"...Yes."

You get the point.
There's constantly this feeling of them talking because they're forced to do it, kinda like "aw, we can't keep quiet during the whole game, we must say som cool stuff as well - it's such a shame, but oh well..."
I mean, the game is great, and there are some incredibly funny one-liners, but the relation between the chars is, in my opinion, a major failure.

There are other examples as well: why the hell doesn't Edgar seem happy to see his long-lost brother on the Sabil Mountains? "Sabin...?" "The brother's are re-united!" *silence*
Why does Cyan laugh merrily at everything five minutes after the death of his family?
And why doesn't he act a little more surprised when he hears of Leo's death?
And so on.
It's incredibly frustrating, and it hurts the overall atmosphere in this game. :mad:

Roto13
06-17-2006, 05:04 PM
I want a better script, too!

KoShiatar
06-17-2006, 05:55 PM
There were limits for the script in the SNES cartridge. At the time, they probably hardly could have been longer than this.

Mirage
06-17-2006, 11:09 PM
I really doubt the script was big enough to be limited by the cartridge size. There are many things that eat far more space, like graphics or music. Besides, I've seen games that are bigger than FF6. Star Ocean is, for example, it even has voiceovers :p.

Peter_20
06-17-2006, 11:12 PM
I really doubt the script was big enough to be limited by the cartridge size. There are many things that eat far more space, like graphics or music. Besides, I've seen games that are bigger than FF6. Star Ocean is, for example, it even has voiceovers :p.Well, honestly, it WAS made two years later; although I see your point.

Besides, the cartridge size doesn't explain the weird way the chars sometimes fool around.

"Simmer down, sirs..."

You could kinda imagine how Cyan goes like "aheeem, um, yo, simmer DOWN, sirrrs..." :D