PDA

View Full Version : The Adroginous adrogiony of Magic-users in rpg games.

Markus. D
06-17-2006, 09:32 AM
If you didnt know what a magic user is... here is a bland preview of one: http://youtube.com/watch?v=KEukKLFlEYI&search=Ragnarok%20Battle%20Offline

We all like magic in some form of element or way.

the magic users in all games are somewhat overpowered even with weak armour (self buffing) and can vary alot from Simple Spammer (Donald Duck from KH1 was an example) to Long Charge, giant explosion of people everywhere (also known as Nukeing).

I have always found Water/Ice has always had the prettiest spell animations. and sometimes games even put in uberistic effects like... Freezing the enemy/ies.

but I also have a likeness for Buffing paty mates and such... but the continuous upkeep of them becomes tedious.

so, Ice FTW :D

ps: Sorry if I havent included an element.

edit: forgot a poll >_>

Zeromus_X
06-17-2006, 12:41 PM
Mages suck in all the Star Ocean games...but are terribly overpowered in Valkyrie Profile, humorously.

Wait, are you asking us how we feel on Spellcasters, or what are favorite element is? 0_p;

Wind ftw.

Of course, in most RPGs, mages are outclassed by melee fighters, but not all of them. But what game is it that you're displaying, it looks kinda cool.

Markus. D
06-17-2006, 02:36 PM
yes, how you feel, and your'e faveorite way they can be used.

like, healing etc... or the ever popular Fire.

Elite Lord Sigma
06-17-2006, 02:51 PM
I hate the stereotype in video games where mages either have to be A. a woman, or B. an old man.

I Took the Red Pill
06-17-2006, 03:53 PM
Healing magic is oh so useful in any game usually. But for a traditional element, I like fire.

Mirage
06-17-2006, 04:57 PM
Mages suck in all the Star Ocean games...but are terribly overpowered in Valkyrie Profile, humorously.

Wait, are you asking us how we feel on Spellcasters, or what are favorite element is? 0_p;

Wind ftw.

Of course, in most RPGs, mages are outclassed by melee fighters, but not all of them. But what game is it that you're displaying, it looks kinda cool.

From what I know about SO3, mages can be quite good for stunlocking and stuff :], aswell as long distance nuking. Laser Beams, Deep Freeze, Explosion <3. You just gotta pump that INT.

escobert
06-17-2006, 07:49 PM
FIRE!!

Moon Rabbits
06-17-2006, 07:51 PM
Pretty water and ice magic!

Reine
06-17-2006, 08:14 PM
Ice. Always been my favourite, always will.

KentaRawr!
06-17-2006, 08:14 PM
Magic makes no sense. Sun controls heat, and heat + appropriate substance = Fire. Having a spell that directly goes to fire makes no sense! And what about wind? Water makes wind. The Moon makes water make wind. Having a spell go directly to wind or water makes no sense! And don't get me started on earth.

Anyways, in RPG's, fire is always the most useful one besides healing. Who would attack someone with a gust of wind or a bucket of water? :tongue: But something about Ice just makes me wanna use it. Perhaps it's because the Barta spells were the best spells in PSO PERIOD. :p

Skyblade
06-17-2006, 08:22 PM
Magic makes no sense. Sun controls heat, and heat + appropriate substance = Fire. Having a spell that directly goes to fire makes no sense! And what about wind? Water makes wind. The Moon makes water make wind. Having a spell go directly to wind or water makes no sense! And don't get me started on earth.

Anyways, in RPG's, fire is always the most useful one besides healing. Who would attack someone with a gust of wind or a bucket of water? :tongue: But something about Ice just makes me wanna use it. Perhaps it's because the Barta spells were the best spells in PSO PERIOD. :p

A lighter or matches make fire, even though they don't use the sun. A fan makes wind. A fire hose makes water. Refrigerators make ice. A large enough explosion could create an earthquake.

Magic is just a faster and more efficient way of manipulating the elements.

If they add in status effects, Ice is easily the best, since it usually slows or completely freezes the enemy. Fire's just nice if you're fighting undead.

KentaRawr!
06-17-2006, 08:29 PM
A lighter or matches make fire, even though they don't use the sun. A fan makes wind. A fire hose makes water. Refrigerators make ice. A large enough explosion could create an earthquake.

Magic is just a faster and more efficient way of manipulating the elements.

A fire hose doesn't make water, silly! It just pushes it. A fan pushes wind, just like water, but can it make a gust of wind like an ocean of water can? I don't think so! :p And matches don't make fire. Rubbing the match against something makes it heat up, and the tip of the match is the appropriate substance. So hah!

Azure Chrysanthemum
06-17-2006, 09:56 PM
Usually in games I use healing magic, and occasionally some of the blasting spells. Lightning is the one I tend to go for, although Ice generally has good animation.

In tabletop though, oh man. Imprisonment wins.

Tavrobel
06-17-2006, 10:11 PM
I think characters that are primarily magic-users are overrated, unless they can learn Meteo or Bahamut like Rydia can. A warrior with magic is ftw. Green haired magic-users are automatically not overrated.

As for elements, I'm a fan of Ice (primarily), Water, and Wind. Mostly Ice, for the slowing effect that most games give. Water is good for mostly anything, and Wind brings down the aerial monsters and the ground monsters.

Even my Pokemon are as such.

And "fire" itself is a plasma. The substance from which you make it from literally has its electrons forcefully ripped off. That's why fire is so destructive and appealing. Once you use it, you can't get it back. Anything can make fire; if you make it move enough.

Mirage
06-17-2006, 10:42 PM
As for elements, I've always preferred lightning. Gravity-based spells also generally look cool, but they are rarely useful. Healing magic is not something I'd go without either. It's particularly nice to have on fighters, who wouldn't use their MP on attacking anyway.

Zeromus_X
06-18-2006, 12:39 AM
So...what game is it. _L_;

I'm also a fan of water. And yes, White Mages. And...Time Mages. I do like mages, even if they would be outclassed. (Outclassed doesn't necessarily equal bad.)

In SO3 they're alot better...too bad there's only two of 'em. (Unless you count Nel, who's like both.)

Mirage
06-18-2006, 02:00 AM
Fayt is as much of a hybrid as Nel though, except he's got more offensive magic and no healing. Unless you use a scroll.

Madonna
06-18-2006, 05:07 AM
http://www.akusui.net/_lynxius/suikoden_truewind175.png

Lawr
06-18-2006, 05:49 AM
Lightning Wind and Darkness or Gravity.

I like shocking and blowing things up also gravity and tornados.. Pshh...healing...curaga...

Fire is for wimps who forgot their lighters at home.
I can pee my own tidal waves.
And that game is Ragnarok Online.

Vermachtnis
06-18-2006, 05:56 AM
I love Ice magic. Although, it's probably because I'm a huge fan of status defects like Poison and the such. No reason wasting energy harming the enemy when they can do it themselves. You can save that Rusty Knife for when you go to prison for murder.

Markus. D
06-18-2006, 06:24 AM

BZZZZZT.

it is Ragnarok Battle Offline (*paying for a korean game*), sorta like half simplified Guilty Gear with RPG elements.

My faveorite water spell is from an old arcade D&D game (Mage was clearly he only good class in that game) Leviathen appears and it begins raining, its pretty.

Lawr
06-19-2006, 03:09 AM

BZZZZZT.

Rofl.

Alixsar
06-19-2006, 03:50 AM
Clearly, Magic Missile is the best spell ever. Clearly.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
06-19-2006, 03:52 AM
What's the deal with this thread's title? I guess you were shooting for "androgyny," but I don't see what that has to do with the actual topic.

bipper
06-19-2006, 04:55 PM
I am partial to healing magic and wind magic, myself. Face the facts, magic < Melee, and will always be :)

Bipper

Markus. D
06-19-2006, 05:17 PM
What's the deal with this thread's title? I guess you were shooting for "androgyny," but I don't see what that has to do with the actual topic.

eh, just liked the gist of the words.

speaking of which, sorry I typoed it. >_>

you get that alot with me.

edit: Alixsar I forgot, you are SO very VERY correct.

farplaner
06-20-2006, 01:57 AM
Yes, the "questionable gender" of mages...that makes sense.

Mages don't have to be second to melee or any other...it would be cool to see a game where mages are the monsters. I mean harnessing the powers of nature, or even the universe should result in some major destruction- much more than a couple of fists.

I might have to start a new SO3 file...I'm in the mood for some cancel bonuses. :radred: