PDA

View Full Version : Star Ocean Series

Crossblades
06-17-2006, 02:33 PM
Recently, interest has sparked within me to play a Star Ocean game. Which one should I buy and play first and why?

Mirage
06-17-2006, 04:49 PM
I personally started with SO3, but that's because I didn't really know skulls about the series prior to that. If you haven't played either of the games, I would recommend starting at the first of them. you'll get references and in-jokes better, and other stuff <,<. That's what I would do atleast.

Lon611
06-17-2006, 05:51 PM
don't play the ps2 one. waste.

Mirage
06-17-2006, 11:04 PM
Nort a waste at all, in my opinion. Sure, the plot twist was dodgy, but otherwise it's all good.

Zeromus_X
06-18-2006, 12:44 AM
Don't know why people feel the need to bash the plot of SO3...don't really understand.

Either of them are good, but I'd have to say playing them in order would be good, probably build more nostalgia. SO1 and 2 are very different then SO3. (Not as advanced battles, more customization, and then SO3, more advanced battles, less customization and frustrating Item Creation.)

Of course, if you play them all anyway...:mwahaha:

Edit: There's actually 'Star Ocean: Blue Sphere' for the Game Boy Color, a sequel to Star Ocean 2, but besides importing or emulation, probably wouldn't be able to play it. You'd want to play SO2 before playing that anyway.

Edit: Yeah, you'd definitely get the references if you played them in order. Especially with costumes.xD

~SapphireStar~
06-18-2006, 07:19 PM
Star Ocean:The Second Story cause I havent played the SNES version and the PS2 version was horrid. Second story allows you to chose which of the 2 lead characters you want to play as.

Mirage
06-18-2006, 07:56 PM
Um, SNES and PS2 version doesn't really make sense. It's not one game with several versions. It's several games with one version each. Except SO3, where the Directors Cut can be counted as a newer version of the original.
Why was SO3 horrid?

Dignified Pauper
06-18-2006, 09:10 PM
um, none of them are required to play the others. I started with the Second Story for Playstation and loved it. The PS2 TTEOT just has bad system implements, from battle to invention, i couldn't stand it. I've yet to beat it because of which.

the SNES version translation is only sub par and some items are left untranslated, but it's okay. I haven't beaten it, but it's a worthy game to play. The story is sub-par, but it is at least entertaining.

Mirage
06-18-2006, 10:52 PM
I like the battle system in SO3 much more than SO2 <,<. It's more fluid and I find controlling the charactes easier. Plus that the battle doesn't stop while spells are being cast.

Zeromus_X
06-19-2006, 03:14 AM
It's great you all love SO2, but you actually can like the other games too. It's quite possible. Yes, SO3 got rid of many customization options, and IC is too over-complex. But there's no way you can honestly say that the first two games had a better battle system, especially SO2, which was just button mashing. (SO1 was more active, because of the movement cursor, which required you to move fast, and think fast.)

Actually, the games are quite connected, but not directly. Still, if you play them in order I believe you'll really appreciate the nostalgia, references, and evolvement of the series, and enjoy it as a whole.

I like the battle system in SO3 much more than SO2 <,<. It's more fluid and I find controlling the charactes easier. Plus that the battle doesn't stop while spells are being cast.

"Tear into pieces!" xD

Dignified Pauper
06-19-2006, 04:50 AM
i don't like the fury gauge of the battle system in SO3, nor do i like the fact that if you run out of MP, you die. maybe that is my biggest beef with the game. Further, once you get the use of Orichalcum, the game is a breeze, sadly. Further, there isn't that much magic, or at least where I am. This saddens me.

Zeromus_X
06-19-2006, 04:58 AM
Guts/Fury was implemented so that you don't spam your attacks over and over again like the first two games.

MP Killing...well, that's up to you. I'm pretty indifferent on it. At least it provides something to keep you on your toes.

Don't worry, you'll get plenty of magic-users by the late game, and Fate and Nel learn plenty of spells. Of course, like the first two games, spells aren't really that great. They're okay in this game, but are far outclassed by melee attacks/killer moves.

But if you really hate the game, you can just return it and buy something else.

Edit: If you think Orichalcum is bad...then you need to try Boots of Prowess. :P

Mirage
06-19-2006, 10:50 AM
I think MP kills balances the game more, mages can stand more mental rape than melees. It works good with the "the body can't live without the mind" thing :)
Orichamcum and Boots of Prowess is post-endgame stuff. It takes a good deal of time and money to get, and is pretty much needed against the overpowered optional bosses. No one forces you to get them for beating the main boss, in fact, you're not even likely to invent and refine all that stuff on your own the first time through.

~SapphireStar~
06-19-2006, 05:32 PM
Why was SO3 horrid?
I wasnt fond of the battle system, I got frustrated and bored after being stuck on the same planet for ages, the characters annoyed me and I didnt enjoy the music.

Um, SNES and PS2 version doesn't really make sense.
Why doesnt it? Ive never played the SNES version, only the PS1 and PS2 games.

Mirage
06-19-2006, 06:00 PM
Because it's not a different version of the same game. They are 3 different games.

~SapphireStar~
06-19-2006, 07:06 PM
I say version instead of installment. I have played the PS1 and PS2 installments then. Happy?

anacacia
06-19-2006, 09:03 PM
I only played one of them, SO3. It was too long for me, and I got really frustrated at it. But thats just personally me. If your really into those puzzles that don't really go anywhere, then go ahead!!!

Zeromus_X
06-19-2006, 11:05 PM
I got frustrated and bored after being stuck on the same planet for ages

Oh, you mean like the first two games? xD

Mirage
06-19-2006, 11:38 PM
I say version instead of installment. I have played the PS1 and PS2 installments then. Happy?
Yes :D.
And well Zeromus. In the other two you actually had a proper reason for being on an underdeveloped planet. In SO3 you're just kinda stuck there cause you can't help it :p.

Zeromus_X
06-20-2006, 06:49 AM
Yeah, I guess that's true...still, it shouldn't be that surprising to spend time on one in a Star Ocean game. (I guess we all can't play 'em all.)

*This is spoilered, and may ruin the entire series. You've been warned.*

SO1- You live on it! And...go back in time.

SO2- You...teleport there. For no clear reason. Rena lives on it in the first place.

SOBS- They all meet there.

SO3- Crash land. Twice! xD

That's not to say they didn't all had funky plot-twists either.

SO1- Oh, you cured the disease. Now we need to go fight an evil superhuman on the planet Fargett. Tough luck!

SO2- Holy crap, your world got destroyed. And you have to fight ten super-powerful cyborgs. It's like ten Jies, with religious allusions! xD

SO3- It turns out the whole universe is really a simulation. And it's gotten 'too real', so it must be destroyed. As if superhuman cyborgs with religious allusions weren't enough, now you have to fight God. Go figure.

~SapphireStar~
06-20-2006, 12:41 PM
Oh, you mean like the first two games? xD
No because I never played the SNES one and I enjoyed the PS1 game as you had a choice of characters. I didnt like being stuck on the medievil planet for ages in SOS3 because it did get boring.

Mirage
06-20-2006, 12:44 PM
You had a choice of characters in SO3 too, kinda :p. Nel is optional, and so is Roger. Both can be aquired on Elicoor.

Zeromus_X
06-20-2006, 01:46 PM
I was talking about being on an underdeveloped planet. It isn't a surprise. Claude being transported to Expel isn't 'expected' either, just like Fate crashing on Vanguard/Elicoor. Furthermore, you do have a choice in characters on SO3, there are four optional characters. At least they don't all just ask you if they can join and you have one chance to recruit them, and not all of them are practically useless. (Noel, Ernest, etc.) At the least, not so far outclassed that they might as well be useless.

~SapphireStar~
06-20-2006, 02:08 PM
Furthermore, you do have a choice in characters on SO3, there are four optional characters. At least they don't all just ask you if they can join and you have one chance to recruit them, and not all of them are practically useless. (Noel, Ernest, etc.) At the least, not so far outclassed that they might as well be useless.
I meant choice of character as in choice of lead character, not ones that can join your party later.

Zeromus_X
06-20-2006, 02:09 PM
Oh, I see.

Mirage
06-20-2006, 02:19 PM
Most JRPGs don't have that option though, including SO1 (I'm pretty sure), so that's more of a bonus than a norm.
Actually, I see a pattern here. SO1: You start with an UDP character. SO2: You can choose between an UDP and DP character. SO3: You start with a DP character.

~SapphireStar~
06-20-2006, 02:30 PM
Oh, I see.
Apologies for me not being clearer.

Dignified Pauper
06-20-2006, 05:29 PM
BTW: Did anyone ever figure out the connection to that first planet that transported Klaude to Expel in SO2?

Peter_20
06-20-2006, 06:49 PM
I started with Star Ocean: The Second Story.
I totally LOVED the atmosphere in Arlia! :love:

I Took the Red Pill
06-20-2006, 07:09 PM
I'd go with the Second Story. I played the original for the NES and thought it was boring. TTEOT was decent, but I just liked SS better.

Zeromus_X
06-20-2006, 11:39 PM
Mirage: SO1 did have optional characters, using the same system as SO2. ("Can I join? But even if you refuse, there'll be another person you can get.") Cius-> Ashlay Ashton-> Opera/Ernest, etc.

DP: I don't believe there actually is...well, unless somebody knows. :confused:

Mirage
06-20-2006, 11:52 PM
I was talking about a choice between two main characters now.

Dreddz
06-24-2006, 10:10 PM
Play SS first, I wouldnt bother with SO3.

Reine
07-10-2006, 12:28 AM
Personally. I like SO3 the most.

Anyway, the first is rather excellent, and there are a crazy amount of characters you can choose from, almost all of them seem to be optional. The difficulty isnt as hard as the second and third games, but thats just what ive heard, im stuck on this mountain atm.

The second is awesome, one of the better RPGs you can get, imo. Very difficult and challenging, with fun combat, and the bonus dungeon is excellent. There are also two higher difficulties to unlock, as well as a music test (Great feature in any game, should be standard on all games) However, I found it not as fun to play as SO3. It mostly consisted of pressing L1, R1 and the occasional X if your playing as a fighter, and opening the menu and spamming the best spel if your a mage.

SO3, was my first one in the series that i had played (I had watched a lot of SO2 at my mates house, and was totally awed by watching him fight Indalecio Limiter Off (I had never seen such a powerful boss before), and upon seeing this game in the shops, I mainly bought it to piss off mymate xD As hed been wanting it ever since hearing of its existence. I thought it was a wonderful game for the most part, although Elicoor 2 does get tedious. The music isnt that awesome (What were you expecting, FF quality?) but its not bad either, and the story as enough to keep me interested, and I must be the only one who wasnt annoyed at the plot twist later on. Just like the first two games, you never really know who the final boss is gonna be, as theres no set villain for most of the way through all three games. The battle system in SO3 was superb,imo, probably the best real time battle system ive ever played, its way up there with Tales of Symphonia and Tales of Eternia. It also has the awesome Vs. Mode, which is a 2 player fighting gme where you have the game characters beating each other up, its awesome :D

The sound and music collections in SO1, voice clip collections in SO2 and Battle Trophies in SO3 are quite awesome, and the effort required to get em all is rather mad, but the things you unlock are worth it, imo

There isnt too much of a link between the games, aside from all being in the same universe, and in SO3 thees an awesome Dictionry that tells so much info about the history of the game world (If you look carefully theres references to other SO games in there) If only the FF games and other games had such dictionaries..

All in all, this series is one of my favourite series, trust tri-Ace to deliver when it comes to gameplay!

Zeromus_X
07-10-2006, 02:01 AM
I love how the SO3 dictionary hints at the stories of the first three games in the Dictionary. xD

Roak Entry- SO1
Expel Entry- SO2
Edifice Entry- SO: BS

ValkyrieWing
07-26-2006, 04:41 AM
Personally, though I did enjoy TTEOT, Second story was just mush more entertaining for me. Besides, Ashton is AMAZING