PDA

View Full Version : CPU cooler fan problems

Carl the Llama
06-17-2006, 06:34 PM
ok here is the thing... my CPU cooler fan is working intermitently and it keeps stopping, and obviously this is a problem, when it stops i rotate it a few times and it starts working again, also obvious this isnt going to work in the long run but i was wondering what i could do (if anything) to make a slightly better solution untill i get my new fan on friday my CPU is the Pantiom 4 (R) 3.00GHz any help would be greatly apprishiated

Yamaneko
06-17-2006, 06:42 PM
In your bios are you sure you haven't set some sort of fan control option? It seems strange that it could still spin, but stops. If it really is the fan, while you're waiting for your new one, keep your computer in a cool place, maybe have it next to a fan or better yet, an AC. Check the temps (I'm guessing your bios have temp readings) regularly and make sure they don't go over 75C or so. Although a GPU can handle really high temps into the 100's C (not recommendable), a CPU should run much cooler than that.

Carl the Llama
06-17-2006, 06:55 PM
no I didnt touch my BIOS, i was in the middle of playijng WoW and it just suddenlyswitched off, so i took theside pannel off and turned the computer on and the fan just sat there doing nothing and it was also very hot, so i let it cool down then turned it on (all the while watching my fan and nothing still happened so i told this to a friend of mine and he said that it was probly the pads on the fan that had worn out

Samuraid
06-17-2006, 08:26 PM
When fans wear out, they tend to run slowly or stop intermittently. It's a good thing that you are considering getting a new fan. (make sure you use some good thermal paste if you replace the heatsink as well as the fan.)

As for using the computer until then...Make sure the heatsink is clear of dust and see if you can open the side of your computer case and place a larger fan directed into the case. It may cool the CPU and other components enough to run the computer. You probably want to check the temperatures on your CPU consistenly though as Intel CPUs should not exceed 71° C, as written in the Intel specification for Prescott series CPUs.

If you have an Intel motherboard, you can install the Intel Active Monitor ( http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/active.htm ) to get a realtime view of CPU/system temperatures and power supply readings.

Carl the Llama
06-17-2006, 08:46 PM
ok thanks... a friend came over and (Ithink) managed to sort it out been useing it 19:20 (i checked) and it hasnt stopped once, also i have checked the Temprature alrert thing in my BIOS so if it does over heat it will tell me right away, also even tho he managed to fix it i will be going to get a new fan... it never hurts to be cautious and on that note... does any of you know where i can get a new CPU cooler from... iv tried maplan but they dont have anything suitible my cooler is 3 inches fyi thanks in advance for any help

Samuraid
06-17-2006, 09:25 PM
www.newegg.com

Make sure you get the right type of CPU cooler (depending on if your CPU is socket 478 or socket LGA775).

o_O
06-18-2006, 03:09 AM
For the record, it's not always bad for your fan to be stationary when your computer's on.
If you have an AMD64 system, your motherboard may support Cool 'n' Quiet, which causes the fan only to spin when it is needed.

Yamaneko
06-18-2006, 04:18 AM
The CPU fan should always be on, I think. The cooler the better.

Carl the Llama
06-18-2006, 07:55 PM
its ok i took my fan off and looked at the company that made it, then typed in JMC 80mm cooler fans on google and found what i was looking for right away, all for the bargin price of £6.87 inc shipping from america

crono_logical
06-18-2006, 08:42 PM
My fan only turns on when it needs to, such as when I run the CPU at 100% load for a minute or so, otherwise it doesn't :p

starseeker
06-18-2006, 09:16 PM
I know I'm overworking my main computer when the fan goes on. It usually gives me a fright.