PDA

View Full Version : Learning How to Play the Guitar

Mythra
06-19-2006, 12:03 AM
Just got my first guitar yesterday (BC rich warlock ;)). I'm at a loss for what to start doing really, and while I'm going to take lessons they won't start for at least 2 weeks from now. I was just wondering what I could do until I start taking lessons. I know some people are self-taught but I learn better if I have someone there showing me how to play. So if any seasoned guitar players on here could give a beginner some helpful pointers, I would greatly appreciate it. btw, I'm starting out on a electric guitar.

Venom
06-19-2006, 12:14 AM
Do you know how to read tabs?

Mythra
06-19-2006, 12:23 AM
Kind of. My friend tried explaining them to me one day at school and today I looked at a page explaining them even further. I would say I have a basic understanding of them.

Zell's Fists of Fury
06-19-2006, 12:24 AM
Find a list of chords on the internet and start learning the basics of those in the next two weeks.

Mythra
06-19-2006, 12:29 AM
Ok I'll start with the chords then thx. My only problem is I can't get my guitar in tune. The amp pack I bought came with a tuner, but everytime I try to use it, it always acts real funny. For instance, I'll pick the string I'm trying to get in tune, the little red light will come on telling me its not in tune, so I turn it to get it in tune, and nothing seems to happen, or it will go all the way to the right or left (on the LCD of the tuner) and barely ever hit green. So right now, tuning is my biggest problem besides knowing how to play.

Venom
06-19-2006, 12:57 AM
Ok I'll start with the chords then thx. My only problem is I can't get my guitar in tune. The amp pack I bought came with a tuner, but everytime I try to use it, it always acts real funny. For instance, I'll pick the string I'm trying to get in tune, the little red light will come on telling me its not in tune, so I turn it to get it in tune, and nothing seems to happen, or it will go all the way to the right or left (on the LCD of the tuner) and barely ever hit green. So right now, tuning is my biggest problem besides knowing how to play.

There are alot of different kinds of tuning as well. Like dropped down to a D or a C. Or Standard or drop B.

Mythra
06-19-2006, 02:24 AM
Think until i get more used to it, I'll just do the standard tuning

Momiji
06-19-2006, 02:11 PM
I think that the most important thing to have when you learn to play a guitar, or any instrument for that matter, is patience. A lot of my friends picked up an instrument and thought they could be good at it on the first try, and they gave it up soon after.

Next, I would suggest getting some tabs, but make sure they're easy. I mean, you can't just start with something like Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin. I would suggest getting some songs by simpler bands such as Fall Out Boy, My Chemical Romance, or Green Day, even if you don't like them... I say this because many of their songs contain simple music to play.

And last, practice is really really important. Practice a lot...and I mean a LOT.

Well that's all I have to say...hopefully I was of some help.

Badge
06-19-2006, 02:45 PM
Yeah practice makes perfect ^----^ as for your tuner it might be faulty or you are tightening the strings too much or too less at a time. Go to any guitar shop and they will show you how to do it :)

Venom
06-19-2006, 03:31 PM
You mentioned earlier you had a Warlock, What kind is it? Cause the one I started off with was the Bronze Warlock that had one pickup and I still love playing it even now.:love:

nik0tine
06-19-2006, 06:17 PM
Just remember one thing: Men with balls play in standard tuning.

About the tuner though. Are your volume knobs turned up?

Old Manus
06-19-2006, 07:29 PM
Perfect your smashing the guitar into the floor before anything else - this is important

Kirobaito
06-19-2006, 07:35 PM
I'm probably not the best person to ask, because I play almost exclusively acoustic and prefer fingerpicking (I hate using the pick).

I taught myself how to play, from chords (both regular and power) to special fingerpicking licks to how to fingerpick properly. I had to practice for 2+ hours a day to do it, but I did it.

Since you'll be taking lessons, I suggest before going there learn a bit of musical theory. I don't know how much music background you have, but learn the difference between a D7 and a Dmaj7 (hint, the D7 contains a C, the Dmaj7 contains a C#). Learn about minor keys and your circle of fifths. Learn about capos, if you should so choose to use them (I use them religiously), and what they do and how to use them properly.

Cz
06-19-2006, 08:26 PM
If you're starting out, I'd recommend playing unamplified (or at least without any effects) for a while. Most amps will come with a built-in overdrive channel, and while using it might cover up some of your mistakes, it will harm your technique in the long run. Play on a clean setting until you've got the fundamentals right, since it's easier to hear where you're going wrong, and correct yourself accordingly.

KB's right about learning some musical theory, too. There's no use racing up and down the neck if you're playing out of key. It might not be the most thrilling thing in the world, but try and learn at least some basic theory before your lessons start.

Mythra
06-19-2006, 09:48 PM
Ok thanks alot for the help everyone, its greatly appreciated :) To reply to Venom's earlier post: yeah its from the bronze series, but I think it has 2 pickups instead of 1.

LunaticPandora37
06-20-2006, 03:13 AM
Just got my first guitar yesterday (BC rich warlock ;)). I'm at a loss for what to start doing really, and while I'm going to take lessons they won't start for at least 2 weeks from now. I was just wondering what I could do until I start taking lessons. I know some people are self-taught but I learn better if I have someone there showing me how to play. So if any seasoned guitar players on here could give a beginner some helpful pointers, I would greatly appreciate it. btw, I'm starting out on a electric guitar.

my friend uses that in our band. it sounds nice. i have a jackson king V...:D :D :D i love it (gf says more than her...which isn't true...keyboard is questionable)...

anyway...um...a good thing to learn is how to drop tune if you like metal...which i assume that you do...why else buy a BC rich...pitch by ear will do help you soo much...cuz a lot of new metal songs are in drop C or drop D....also another thing to learn is the circle of fifths...music theory will help you no matter what instrument you decide to play...sides for drums...

Venom
06-20-2006, 03:25 PM
my friend uses that in our band. it sounds nice. i have a jackson king V... i love it (gf says more than her...which isn't true...keyboard is questionable)...

Does your Jackson V have the sharkfin inlays?

LunaticPandora37
06-21-2006, 03:01 AM
my friend uses that in our band. it sounds nice. i have a jackson king V... i love it (gf says more than her...which isn't true...keyboard is questionable)...

Does your Jackson V have the sharkfin inlays?

I wish...

i'm not much of a guitar player...i can play but nothing too specatular...some SOAD songs, and other random stuff