PDA

View Full Version : Prologue - Nobuo's best composition ever?

Peter_20
06-19-2006, 01:10 PM
Right now I'm listening to the FF4 version of Prologue, and I must say it's damn touching.
There's something about the melody that just - hypnotizes me, and it almost brings tears to my eyes.
It's so simple, yet so incredibly melodic.
And when it's played during the preparation for the final battle, it DOES bring tears to my eyes.

In my opinion, this melody blows everything else into the water; it defines the whole FF series so perfectly. :)

Laa, laa, laa, laa, LAAAA, laa, laa, laa, la-la-laa, laa, laaaa, laaaa...

fire_of_avalon
06-19-2006, 01:52 PM
*moves to Video Game Music forum*

Psychotic
06-20-2006, 04:07 AM
Of the recurring songs, I prefer "Final Fantasy" myself.

EDIT: Ah, never mind. Same song, I got it confused with another one. Yeah, this song is definitely his best.

Zeromus_X
06-20-2006, 06:43 AM
'The Prelude' (or 'Prelude', or what-have-you) is very touching, as is 'Final Fantasy'. They are instantly associated with the FF series, if only because it's used in so many of 'em.

I like FFIV and VI's the best, followed by FFVII's.

Sefie1999AD
06-20-2006, 08:05 AM
Of the recurring songs, I prefer "Final Fantasy" myself.

EDIT: Ah, never mind. Same song, I got it confused with another one. Yeah, this song is definitely his best.

Yeah, Prologue and Final Fantasy are the same song. That song has been called so many things during the FFs, here's a list of (most of) them:

FFI - Opening Theme
FFII - N/A
FFIII - Opening Theme
FFIV - Prologue (also plays in the song Epilogue)
FFV - Final Fantasy
FFVI - Ending Theme
FFVII - Staff Roll
FFVIII - Ending Theme
FFIX - Final Fantasy (plays after Melodies of Life)
FFX - N/A
FFX-2 - N/A
FFXI - N/A
FFVII AC - End Credits
FFXII - Final Fantasy
FF Concert 2002 - Final Fantasy
FF More Friends Concert - Final Fantasy

I think it's a very beautiful song and a great, suitable main theme to the series, although I think Uematsu has done better songs too, such as One-Winged Angel or Melodies of Life. However, it's quite hard to beat the medley song "Melodies of Life ~ Final Fantasy" in FFIX OST (the Japanese version) and FFIX: Uematsu's Best Selection (the English version). Melodies of Life + Final Fantasy = FTW. :thumb:

Zeromus_X
06-20-2006, 08:37 AM
So are we talking about the Prelude (theme that plays during start menu), or Final Fantasy (song that plays when they cross the bridge, and credits of various games.) Sorry, I'm a bit confused.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
06-20-2006, 08:52 AM
Final Fantasy (song that plays when they cross the bridge, and credits of various games.)We're talking about that song. It's more commonly known as Prologue.

Zeromus_X
06-20-2006, 10:19 AM
Oh, I see. Thanks.

Sefie1999AD
06-20-2006, 11:14 AM
Final Fantasy (song that plays when they cross the bridge, and credits of various games.)We're talking about that song. It's more commonly known as Prologue.

It's funny, since it's called Prologue in only one FF, and it plays more frequently during the ending than during the beginning. "Final Fantasy" seems to be the name SE is using about the song at the moment.

Peter_20
06-20-2006, 01:29 PM
Melodies of Life + Final Fantasy = FTW. :thumb:Final Fantasy + Theme of Love + Terra's Theme + Aeris' Theme + Eyes On Me + Melodies of Life + To Zanarkand FTW. :D
Wow, Nobuo is way too good... :thumb:

Laguna
06-20-2006, 02:37 PM
Final Fantasy is a fantastic theme. I love the rendition of it in the credits for FFVIII.

Sefie1999AD
06-20-2006, 04:56 PM
Melodies of Life + Final Fantasy = FTW. :thumb:Final Fantasy + Theme of Love + Terra's Theme + Aeris' Theme + Eyes On Me + Melodies of Life + To Zanarkand FTW. :D

That combination of yours doesn't exist, sorry. Melodies of Life + Final Fantasy is a real medley played in FFIX.

EDIT: Oh, you were referring to them as different songs while I was referring to MoL ~ FF as one song, and I thought you were doing the same. Never mind, my bad then. :)

Peter_20
06-20-2006, 04:57 PM

That combination of yours doesn't exist. Melodies of Life + Final Fantasy is a real medley played in FFIX.Combination? I was just talking about a bunch of good songs. :cool:

crono_logical
06-20-2006, 06:26 PM
Prelude's another good recurring melody I like in the FF series :p

Kawaii Ryűkishi
06-21-2006, 10:23 AM
I really liked how Prelude and Prologue were worked into important story scenes in FFIV instead of just being relegated to the "select file" screen and credits. It was also the game that expanded Prelude beyond the opening jingle and made it an actual song.

boys from the dwarf
06-21-2006, 07:07 PM
the prelude is definetly the best FF tune that has been used in most FFs. its a shame theyve dropped the tradition in some of the later ones. i bet that prologue is the FF anthem and most fans salute whenever they hear that tune. it is such a great track.

Chris
06-28-2006, 01:06 AM
The Main Prologue is a masterpiece. I love how it "screams" Final Fantasy whenever I hear it. It is the defining music piece for all of the Final Fantasy games.

:)

UltimaMasamune
08-30-2006, 06:08 AM
my favourite version of it is the one from FF3 because of the added stuff in the begining

vorpal blade
08-30-2006, 10:32 AM
Prelude is great. Final Fantasy is awesome. I also like One Winged Angel, Melodies of Life, Suteki da ne, Celes' theme, Aeris' theme and a whole bunch of others. But Prelude and Final Fantasy are just awesome. It's a shame Uematsu isn't doing the series anymore...
Though he is doing the (out of place, according to Playstation Magazine) ending theme for FFXII.

Breine
08-30-2006, 04:20 PM
I don't know if it's the best he has ever written, but it's very good. I was surprised to learn that he only took a couple of minutes composing it... That man is a pure genius musically.

Goldenboko
08-31-2006, 01:50 AM
Isn't it also refered to as the Crystal Theme?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-31-2006, 02:17 AM
Yes, but only as a nickname used by fans.

Goldenboko
08-31-2006, 02:21 AM
Yes, but only as a nickname used by fans.

Oh (I like calling it Crystal Theme it does seem fitting)