PDA

View Full Version : Buying a system just for DoS?

ValiantKnight
06-19-2006, 06:38 PM
I've been kinda interested in playing DoS to see the 4 new dungeons and all the new stuff, but I don't have a GBA, just a PS, PS2, SNES and a PC atm.(sold the N64 to someone, NES broke)

I may have a Gameboy collecting dust somewhere that my friend left over here he claims.

However, do you think its worth it to buy a GBA or whatever I need to play FF: DoS, or should I stick with FF: Origins that I own for the PS.

I have beaten FF1 about 6-8 times with different parties. Easy mode and Normal Mode. I have a 99 master and enjoy his supreme defense.

anyway back on topic. Do you think FF1:DoS warrants buying the system to play it on, and if so, where is the cheapest I could find something to play it on.

I've found DoS for 24.99, but can't find a system that plays it for less than 90$

Thats a bit steep for one remake of a game I already own.
But are the extras worth it?

Flying Mullet
06-19-2006, 06:41 PM
I think it would be worth it, but that's because you can currently play FFI, II and IV on the GBA and will be able to play FFV and VI on the GBA in the near future.

ValiantKnight
06-19-2006, 07:31 PM
any idea on where to find a GBA cheaply or whatever that new DS... ? is that plays GBA games.

Flying Mullet
06-19-2006, 07:36 PM
Yes, the DS plays the GBA games, but it will not play the old Gamboy and Gameboy Color games. You can find them real cheap at any used game store or ebay.

DJZen
06-19-2006, 08:11 PM
GBA and DS both have an awesome library of great games, so you wouldn't have to buy either JUST for DoS. Here's a few reccomendations for both:

GBA:
Gunstar Super Heroes
Final Fantasy IV Advance
Shining Force: Ressurection of the Dark Dragon
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
Metroid Fusion
Castlevania series

DS:
New Super Mario Bros.
Final Fantasy III (when it comes out)
Puyo Pop Fever
Kirby: Canvas Curse
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrows
Pheonix Wright: Ace Attourney
Trauma Center: Under the Knife

Not that you have to go on a spending spree or anything, but they're all good options for your consideration. Now, you have to know a few things about compatibility...

GBA: Plays all GB, GBC, and GBA games, as well as the e-reader.
GBA SP: Plays all GB, GBC and GBA games, but the e-reader doesn't fit.
GB Micro: Only plays GBA games.
DS: Plays DS and GBA games only.
DS Lite: Same as above.

Just keep that in mind before trading anything away.

Hayabusa
06-19-2006, 08:23 PM
DoS is cool but just remember that Origins on the Playstation is way more difficult then the GBA version - if you want a fun enjoyable time with FF1 I would then say yes, go ahead and get it - I have it - and use it frequently- FF2 more than 1 - I got it recently - I had to pay $25 for the game. But yeah, It's cool - And like the latter, FF5 and FF6 will be avaliable for it as well. So, I don't know- I would say yes! But it is super easy- But fun! :)

ScottNUMBERS
06-19-2006, 10:50 PM
I would definatly go for it, but that's coming from someone who bought Xbox360 just to play FFXI.

You could just get the emulator for GBA from the internet and ROMs of all the games you want, and for free too.

Captain Maxx Power
06-20-2006, 12:06 AM
I think it would be worth it, but that's because you can currently play FFI, II and IV on the GBA and will be able to play FFV and VI on the GBA in the near future.

The reason above is why I bought a GBA. Well, that and the fact that it was going for 18 quid and I'd have been out of my mind to pass it up.

Roto13
06-20-2006, 12:28 AM
m u l8

ValiantKnight
06-20-2006, 12:58 AM
Cousin has a DS.

He says itll play GBA games... so gonna give it a try.. Heading out to Gamestop to grab DoS.

Vincent, Thunder God
06-20-2006, 02:18 AM
Yes, the DS plays the GBA games, but it will not play the old Gamboy and Gameboy Color games.

Yeah, it's too bad it's not completely retro-compatible. If it was I might even consider buying it to have a good handheld that I can completely retroplay on.

ValiantKnight
06-20-2006, 05:50 AM
Went with Fi BB WM BM

WM had more HP than fighter for a good while.
Guess its Wa and Mo now, not Fi and BB.

BB did better damage than Fighter for a good while... but his armor isnt increasing like it should... seems odd.

Lvl 14 in elfland and blackbelts armor isnt 14 when unequipped.
Think its like 8 or something.
Gonna borrow it when he goes on vacation.. and buy a GBA when I can find one or a DS if i can get the money. For now tho he had to go.

Did I mention exp comes very easily in this version...

Reine
06-20-2006, 07:39 AM
I have a GBA SP, a GB Micro, and soon, a DS Lite.

Along with my PSP, all the handhelds I'll need for a long time

Flying Mullet
06-20-2006, 12:43 PM
Went with Fi BB WM BM

WM had more HP than fighter for a good while.
Guess its Wa and Mo now, not Fi and BB.

BB did better damage than Fighter for a good while... but his armor isnt increasing like it should... seems odd.

Lvl 14 in elfland and blackbelts armor isnt 14 when unequipped.
Think its like 8 or something.
Gonna borrow it when he goes on vacation.. and buy a GBA when I can find one or a DS if i can get the money. For now tho he had to go.

Did I mention exp comes very easily in this version...
Yes, the GBA version is EXTREMELY easy. You level up a lot easier and the stats have been "re-balanced" so having a white mage with more hit points than a fighter isn't unheard of anymore, yet still rare.

ValiantKnight
06-22-2006, 05:19 PM
Any idea why they seemingly nerfed black belt's defense?

I mean I always liked him and all, and getting to level 50 his 50 defense was ok. getting to 99 on origins it was real good, made him seem very useful... Now with 1 defense every 2 levels it seems, he's even worse.

I'm wishing I took a ninja. His fists are still strong, but i'm going to have to keep him in a ruby armlet and proring for a long time, maybe forever.

**edit**
Ok, after leveling 32-43 on the Eye.... Blackbelt/monk does 10hits for 330~ damage.
He has 45 damage listed for fists vs I think he would have 90 in origins.
In origins he would be doing around 1000 damage at this level.
His defense is 24 when unequipped, not 43.
I think I will have to pass judgement on black belt in DoS... he quite frankly... and I'm sorry for saying this... sucks. Unless he just magically starts to gain super atk power or defense later on.. his attack will never outpace warrior's at this pace, and his defense will barely overtake mages at 99.

In origins he could hit 20 times for 6000 damage or so, and have a 99 armor.
Now he's gonna hit 22 times~ for 800 damage or so, and have a 56~ armor.

/vote no for black belt in DoS.
/vote yes for Ninja... who probably would be hitting 300s vs my master's 350s now. And who would have 60 armor I believe with ice armor and ice shield and mithril helm?

Oh well, lessons learned.
Time to go for the sea shrine and the waterfall and that faerie.

Well in the mid 60s, and playing on my cousin's DS.

Beat Whisperwind Cove once so far.... pretty hard in the 30 levels, tho the first 25 were cake... except the bosses.

Its an ok version.. the normal part of the game is very easy. They took the silver sword out of elfland I see.

I'll go back over and beat Fire and Water extra dungeons, then I'll be done I guess. Not sure if i'll buy a GBA or just keep sharing the DS yet.

Fi, BB, WM, BM
and don't bring a BB.. Fi is better in this game. At best at 99 BB might do 2x fighter's damage... and still won't beat his armor. They really gimped him.

Please don't double post, use the edit/delete button instead.

~Void