PDA

View Full Version : Do Red Hats Fit Fedora's Head?

bipper
06-19-2006, 07:50 PM
I was a little currious on the exact relationtion between Red Hat and Fedora. Are they very interchangable, as far as most installs go (common directry structures (package placements) etc)

Just currious, as it looks like I will be having to dive into the world of redhat (its been a few years) and I am *NOT* wanting to pay for any kind of a development license. Therefore, I would like to replace one enviroment with Fedora (if they are similar, if not, I will stick to slack).

Thanksabunle.

Bipper

crono_logical
06-19-2006, 07:53 PM
I was under the impression Fedora Core was the non-commercial version of Redhat but otherwise virtually the same, but I might be wrong :p

bipper
06-19-2006, 07:54 PM
That is what I am thinking cl_out :)
I am looking this up, but it has been lonley with out a linux thread in here :) so... yeah.

Bipper :p

Flying Mullet
06-19-2006, 07:58 PM
Linus is just a myth made up by the Microsoft haters when they have nothing better to do. :yellowkin

bipper
06-19-2006, 08:01 PM
Linus is just a myth made up by the Microsoft haters when they have nothing better to do. :yellowkin

Linux is a real operating system. Unlike what you really ARE talking about, which is clearly JAVA ;)

Scripting language!:D

Bipper

Yamaneko
06-19-2006, 08:04 PM
Both are RPM-based distros so you won't have many problems interchanging packages between them. I believe FC5 comes with Gnome as the default DM and Red Hat comes with KDE as the default. I'm not really sure if Red Hat comes with a package management system like pirut/pup in FC, but both distros should use apt-rpm as a means of updating and installing packages, although the FC community uses the yum command mainly.

Basically the big difference between Red Hat and FC is that Red Hat is targeted to the business sector and FC is targeted to the home user.

bipper
06-19-2006, 08:08 PM
So of I am developing programs for Red Hat, the file system for both distros should be similar? I mean, with mysql, persay, will the conf file go the the same directory if installed (direct from dis) on both systems?

I know it is kinda a nit picky and specific question, but it is important, as we do not have nix savy users; so the consistancy would help in guide writing and such.

Bipper

crono_logical
06-19-2006, 08:15 PM
I'd have thought you could make the application you're developing work with any distro, and pick up the various locations it needs which change between distros at run time :p Unless it's exclusively for that one distro's structure :p

bipper
06-19-2006, 08:23 PM
pretty much propietory. Why make it cross platform when the task is machine specific.

Plus, I am working with people whom are not all that familiar with linux, so I am going to stick with consistancy. Unless of course I find out that consistancy is not that consistant, than I might as well train em on slack (which will happen eventually anyways) and then we can have our consistancy constantly!

Bipper

Dr Unne
06-19-2006, 08:30 PM
Is this for work? I was under the impression that you shouldn't be using Fedora for anything other than beta-testing or personal "I don't care if it breaks" systems. I don't think Fedora is under any kind of guarantee not to break horribly or change drastically between releases.

I wouldn't even use Gentoo on a production box. It just breaks way too often to rely upon it for work. At least it does given the way I abuse it. But I love it personally, because my hobby computer serves an entirely different purpose than my work computer. For a production box I'd at least pick a distro whose purpose is not bleeding-edge testing.

bipper
06-19-2006, 08:35 PM
Thing is, they have a red hat one year license left, and I don't want them to have to purchase another license, or whatever for just a small production box. I would program in fedora and export to red hat. Well, ideally.

I am completley comfortable with using Slackware across the office no problem. As I long as I build it and do a good job on my set up, I have extreme confidence on it. I had one box running a mud for 3 years that carried about 70 players across a minimal dsl line :) I have confidence.

Either way, the Micro$oft product in place do not offer anything in the form of stability, or back up in some cases (it seems).

Still, that is very good information to bring to my attention. :) thanks Unne.

Bipper

Yamaneko
06-19-2006, 09:06 PM
FC probably doesn't come with any proprietary software either, so you'd have to update your repositories or build your own RPMs to get stuff like official Nvidia or ATI drivers, Flash, mp3 decoding, and other formats. I'm betting Red Hat comes with that already.

All Linux distros run on the standard ext3 fs (good for stablity) and reiserFS (good for transfering big files, less stable), so you won't have a problem there. Directory layout should be the same too; /etc, /lib, /opt, /proc, /usr, etc. As long as you use the same RPM build it should extract the files to the specified directories.

bipper
06-19-2006, 10:41 PM
Hrm, I have run across a few linux distras using Hans's journaling filing system and a few other off the walls, but I did mean structutre, gotta keep my lingo straight sorry. I think that answers all my questions thus far.

Thanks guys

Samuraid
06-21-2006, 03:16 AM
As far as I know, Fedora is to consumer Red Hat what CentOS is to RHEL. Both Fedora and CentOS are based on Red Hat's commercial products and both offer a similar OS with no paid support and extra proprietary software.