PDA

View Full Version : Something wrong with my PS2?

Silent Warrior
06-20-2006, 08:26 AM
This hasn't turned into a real problem YET, but if it's a bad omen, the sooner I know about it the better. Ok, here we go.

Yesterday I was playing Ace Combat 5 (now, don't you go laffin' at me). All of a sudden, as the debriefing was supposed to be loaded, there seemed to be a read-error. Like, chug-chug, whirrrrrr, chug-chug, whirrrrrrrrrrrrrr (or as close to that as a PS2 can sound). Nothing happened, sort of a lock-up, and there was nothing for it but to turn it off (I could eject the tray and all, it wasn't THAT bad). This has happened a few times before, all this year.
This didn't happen with FFX, and that disc has seen more use than AC5. More extended use too, for that matter - I can only bear so much arcade action before my head feels thoroughly trashed. The only other disc(s) this has occurred with is Xenosaga 2 (maybe 1 as well, but I don't remember that), and that uses Funny Discs(tm) - double-sided DVDs with 9Gb storage-capacity. I heard those are supposed to be a bit of a gamble.
My PS2 has been in my possession since... Well, before FFX EU was released, anyway (bought new for a lot of money). Back when I was still a teenager, I believe. :hourglas:

Levian
06-20-2006, 01:09 PM
Yep, still not a real problem yet, but later you might have to open up the PS2 with a screwdriver and blow and wipe a little. Jus' be careful though, the lens is fragile.

Silent Warrior
06-21-2006, 07:58 AM
Roger that. But... I don't see any screws?? Bah! Oh well, that's a headache for another day.