PDA

View Full Version : Doesn't it annoy you.....

Badge
06-20-2006, 10:43 AM
Ever since FF7:AC there seems to be so many more FF7 fans who think they know everything there is to know about FF7. A few people I know watched the film before me and are like yeah its amazing, then i ask have you played the game and they say no or i haven't finished it. It narks me cus I spent over 70hours completeing the game(and then another 2 times) and the film is a nice treat for my hard work grrrrrrrrr. What do you think?

Ki Ki
06-20-2006, 12:29 PM
Well erm, you definitely don't have to get ANGRY at them over that.
Not like anyone forced you to play the game first then watch the movie.
Besides, I'm sure watching the movie after you play the game puts you in a much better perspective over the film so for those who didn't play the game, it's their loss. THEIRS.
It's not like people have all the time in the world to play the game anyways. :goofy:

~SapphireStar~
06-20-2006, 12:30 PM
If people havent finished the game or even started it yet, it doesnt make them bad people. It can be annoying when someone who watches the movie thinks they know all the characters inside and out. And they understand the plot perfectly ... I dont think so. I found it easier to understand the movie because Ive been playing 7 for a good few years now. But just ignore them.

Laguna
06-20-2006, 01:00 PM
Hmm, I'd say AC is for people who have played FFVII. Looking at it as a film student, it's riddled with flaws when you take it as a stand alone film. It's very much a fans film :p

That's not to say newcomers won't enjoy it. At the end of the day it doesn't bother me at all really. I enjoyed it, and that's the important thing to me.

Twilight Edge
06-20-2006, 04:52 PM
I watched AC four months ago and completed the game last month.Watching AC at first did give me a weird feeling of "something's missing" because at that time I was only halfway through the gaem.Then,I completed the game and re-watched AC and it gave me a feeling that I know everything better "Oh,it's like this like that".

It's indeed annoying when a non-gamer or a halfway-through gamer thinks he/she knows everything just because they watched the movie,but that point alone dosen't make them bad people.

And yeah,it's TOTALLY A FAN MOVIE instead of a STAND ALONE MOVIE.

starseeker
06-20-2006, 05:44 PM
Yeah, a friend borrowed my copy of AC and she said she could understand most of it. I did warn her that bits were difficult to understand without playing the game. She wasn't even aware it was a game sequel. On its own, AC is just plain weird.

Shiny
06-20-2006, 06:16 PM
I don't think it really matters since most of the people I know who've seen the movie either haven't played FF7 or don't appreciate the goodness that is FF7. I just ignore those people, because it's hard to explain something to someone who won't understand it anyway. But I agree that AC was definately a treat for FF7 fans. But it's also exposulure. My friend who's never played 7 is now going to buy it after seeing the movie. :)

LunarWeaver
06-20-2006, 07:31 PM
If Advent Children gets somebody interested in Final Fantasy VII the game when they weren't before, then I would pat them on the back and congratulate them on joining the club not yell at them.

Dr.M
06-21-2006, 06:55 AM
why do you take it so seriously? sure, its a great game and a worthy sequal but why be so jugdmental to thos who haven't played ff7. to be honist, i have not played ff7 and i have seen ff7ac. i live in australia so its not easy to find ff7 in a eb games, they don't order it anymore. and im not allowed to buy items off the net. i do understand the story. and if i could get ff7 the game, i would play it, but i can't. and it helps that one of my friends is obssed by ff7 even tho she dosn't have it either.

escobert
06-21-2006, 09:52 AM
Seeing as I just watched the film for the first time about 45 minutes ago, I'd say if you hadn't played the game then why watch the movie. YOu have no understanding of what's going on really and it would seem random people just appear to help left and right. I lvoe the game so I think the movie fit weel. altough I wish it were longer.

Markus. D
06-21-2006, 01:56 PM
well... now we get another amount of info coming from DoC.

Laugh at face of Danger
06-21-2006, 05:09 PM
I agree nearly fully. My friend was banging on about AC and she ahdn't even played seven before. To make her pay for her henious crime i gave her the game and forced her to play through the whole of Midgar in my presence (it took the whole night and most of the day after). It does really get on my nerves, because then they ask, "Who's Sephiroth?" "Who's Jenova?" "Who's that cool guy?"

And even worse? When they comment on their new favourite character based on how cool they looked - you couldn't do that in the game! They had about three pivots in their entire body! *angry* Phew, that did get out a lot of pent up energy...!

But yeah, it gets me annoyed too

Hayabusa
06-21-2006, 05:39 PM
I agree with you and understand what you're saying - because they probably won't understand a lot of it even if they "think" they understand it. With the vocabulary and all. BUT - I think it's good if the movie then draws them in, has them seek out and play FF:VII and then lead them into FF all together- That would be good - But people who JUST see the movie and say "It's awesome" - I just think...you have no idea though, HOW awesome it would be to you if you knew so much more. But, it is awesome though! :)

Summoner
06-22-2006, 02:34 AM
I agree with what's being said here. I hate it when people take part of somethnig, like AC, and think that, just because they know what happened there, they either think they know everything that happened or they bash the rest of the series because that one thing is better. I myself will admit that I haven't played FFVII, but I read what happened on Wikipedia so that I wouldn't be completely lost when I watched the movie. I had already known some things, such as Aerith/Aeris getting killed, but I had to read what it was all about. I already know what happened at the end, even if the details were a little vague. I don't think that I know everything there is to know about AC, though, from reading up on FFVII on Wikipedia and other sites, I feel that I know that characters pretty good. But I'm not a master on the plot or anything. After I play the game (maybe even the compilation) and I have no more plot questions, THEN I'll say "alright, I've mastered FFVII". But only after I've mastered the games and I completely understand their plots and characters in and out.

Badge
06-23-2006, 05:24 PM
And even worse? When they comment on their new favourite character based on how cool they looked - you couldn't do that in the game! They had about three pivots in their entire body! *angry* Phew, that did get out a lot of pent up energy...!

Very good point!

*~Angel Wing~*
06-25-2006, 03:06 AM
My friend who's never played 7 is now going to buy it after seeing the movie. :)
Yeah...I think we're thinking of the same person. :D I let her borrow Advent Children, and even though she was a little confused cuz she never played FFVII, she still really enjoyed it. Actually, her younger brother didn't like Final Fantasy at all, but after he saw some of the great battle scenes in Advent Children, he thinks Final Fantasy is pretty cool now. :cool:

But I do agree it's annoying when people think they know everything about a character/game, and they haven't taken the time to play the game and fully understand the storyline and concepts, when YOU did. :mad:

General Beranger Stone
06-27-2006, 09:21 AM
Ever since FF7:AC there seems to be so many more FF7 fans who think they know everything there is to know about FF7. A few people I know watched the film before me and are like yeah its amazing, then i ask have you played the game and they say no or i haven't finished it. It narks me cus I spent over 70hours completeing the game(and then another 2 times) and the film is a nice treat for my hard work grrrrrrrrr. What do you think?

I understand.

Bearofu
06-27-2006, 09:25 AM
That's just being awfully selfish over a pointless thing. That's just childish.

Griff
06-27-2006, 01:05 PM
Actual conversation I had about a month ago with my friend Brandon:
Brandon: Hey Griff, you have most of the FF games right?
Griff: Yeah
Brandon: They look pretty cool, can I borrow one?
Griff: Sure, I'll let you borrow ten, it's pretty easy.
Brandon: Does it have Vincent in it, he was so cool in AC?
Griff: No, that's seven.
Brandon: Can I borrow that one instead?
Griff: sure, whatever.

And every day since then he would tell me where he is in the game and ask "how far am I from Vincent now?" Fanboyism at it's finest

Strawberry_Mew
06-29-2006, 06:43 AM
I can understand abou that but everyone has their own option I spent about 99 hrs on the game one of my most fav's :3

Moon Rabbits
06-29-2006, 06:47 AM
Actual conversation I had about a month ago with my friend Brandon:
Brandon: Hey Griff, you have most of the FF games right?
Griff: Yeah
Brandon: They look pretty cool, can I borrow one?
Griff: Sure, I'll let you borrow ten, it's pretty easy.
Brandon: Does it have Vincent in it, he was so cool in AC?
Griff: No, that's seven.
Brandon: Can I borrow that one instead?
Griff: sure, whatever.

And every day since then he would tell me where he is in the game and ask "how far am I from Vincent now?" Fanboyism at it's finest

Fanboys make me hot in the pants.

vorpal blade
06-29-2006, 09:32 AM
Regarding the conversation, i suggest that you wait for Brandon to finish the game before telling him how to get Vincent.
And i agree with the starter of the thread. One should not be called a FFVII fan unless he/she has played the game. Am I a fan? Yes, because I've been playing the game for nearly 10 years now, beat it 3 times (I'm sure that's a small number compared to some of you) and seen the movie twice (first in English, then in Japanese). I will probably buy DOC despite the horrendous 3/10 score taht a magazine taht i recently read gave it. Just watching the movie doesnt make you a fan. PLay the game, then maybe we'll talk.

Zeromus_X
06-29-2006, 09:35 AM
I don't even know why anyone would even see the movie without first playing the game...that doesn't even make sense.

At any rate, I don't even believe in these things anymore.

Bearofu
06-29-2006, 11:56 AM
You can't tell some if he/she's a fan or not. Someone liked Vincent in the movie; how can't he/she be called a fan of him then?

Like, I've only heard one complete album of Iron Maiden, but I consider myself as a fan. Who has the right to argue with that?
Ever since FF7:AC there seems to be so many more FF7 fans who think they know everything there is to know about FF7. A few people I know watched the film before me and are like yeah its amazing, then i ask have you played the game and they say no or i haven't finished it. It narks me cus I spent over 70hours completeing the game(and then another 2 times) and the film is a nice treat for my hard work grrrrrrrrr.So basically you're annoyed because some people liked the film, but have not finished the game. Sorry, but that's ridiculous.

leonheart_blade
06-29-2006, 03:43 PM
I've never played FF7, I've watched the anime, and seen the movie, but never played the game. I've done reasearch on it and all that junk. But I've never played the game. I hate not having a Playstation. On contarary, I personally don't think I know the characters inside and out. I still don't know some of their names. It's an ok movie. I like it, but I still think it could've done better. I say that more towards the fact of what I have learned and what I know about movies all together. Why I don't like it as much has nothing to do with the game. I understand getting mad at people who never played the game and claim they know everything, but don't get mad at everyone who hasn't played it. AC is for anyone who wants to watch it. It's just a movie.

Roto13
06-29-2006, 07:55 PM
If someone who hadn't played the games claimed to understand all of the little nuances and metaphors in the plot, I'd get a little annoyed with them.

That is, if Advent Children was more than a flash-a-thon.

NorthernChaosGod
07-03-2006, 04:09 AM
Yeah, it does. But not too much, because afterall, I'm the one who benefits from not being stupid like them.

Cannibal Corpse
07-09-2006, 12:18 AM
I know Exactly what you mean
in the school year, there were these stupid kids in my class and they always were talking about FFAC and how great it was even though they haddent even played the game! WTF! They told me they didnt even understand most of.They thought they knew all the characters and s***,pisses me off. They weren't the ones that were waiting years and years for it to come out. They DO NOT deserve to watch that amazing movie :mad2:

This is one of the reasons why people in general piss me off