PDA

View Full Version : The Final Fantasy VII Compilation - Yay or Nay?

Vincent Valentine
06-21-2006, 02:05 PM
(Since this doesn't pertain to any one specific game, it seemed more suitable in here. If a staff member deems it the wrong place, my apologies!)

Here's a debate that always gets the blood flowing.

Only a few years ago, the idea of a return to the Final Fantasy VII universe probably completely incomprehensible to the majority to us. For some it was just a decent dream, and for others not returning the world of Final Fantasy VII was the way it should be.

Of course, Square Enix ended up coming out with an announcement that shocked all of us at the time - their plans for the creation of a FFVII sequel movie. Some of us whooped for joys. The rest of us cringed our teeth and waited with nervousness.

Of course, then came the announcments of Before Crisis, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, and Last Order. The fanboy whooping reached ear popping levels, and the cries of distraught old fans echoed in the shadows of the darkest corners of the internet, heard by none except those who could spell and use proper grammar...

:laughing:

It's fairly clear anywhere you look that opinions on the Final Fantasy VII Compilation are very, very mixed by the fans.

Simple put... what are yours?

Dell
06-21-2006, 04:34 PM
This belongs to FFVII Forum?

Yay! I hope there's a sequel in PS3.

DeathKnight
06-21-2006, 04:36 PM
Nay! FFVII is overrated.

Elpizo
06-21-2006, 05:07 PM
Nay. FF VII is good, but nothing oh so special that it would deserve all these sequels and prequels.

DJZen
06-21-2006, 05:52 PM
Meh, I suppose I'd have to care about FFVII to have an opinion on this...

Dell
06-21-2006, 06:00 PM
Meh, I suppose I'd have to care about FFVII to have an opinion on this...

I hear this somewhere...SE wants to make a prequel about Heidegger.:tongue:

Hayabusa
06-21-2006, 06:02 PM
Or you could stop thinking it's a big deal or anything to discuss. FFVII is apart of the series, doesn't matter if you or anyone for that matter likes it or dislikes it. It doesn't matter if I like it or not. It doesn't make it bad, it doesn't make it good.

Ichimonji
06-21-2006, 06:05 PM
I personally don't care what they do. They can keep making spin-offs, or discontinue the series, I don't mind. I'll buying whatever they throw out either way.

Slade
06-22-2006, 04:12 AM
Nay. I didn't mind the sequel, it was actually rather good, but i'm deadly against the milking of FFVII, wether the spinoffs turn out to be good games or not.

Xurts
06-22-2006, 06:20 AM
Nay. I didn't mind the sequel, it was actually rather good, but i'm deadly against the milking of FFVII, wether the spinoffs turn out to be good games or not.
Agreed. One sequel is fine, but doing the whole 4 sequels/prequels is going too far. Square is making FF7 the Mario of the FF series. That is a bad thing.

Aralith
06-22-2006, 06:54 AM
Yay. I for one wanted them to return to the FFVII universe. Of course, I didn't play it way back when like most of you probably did. Truthfully, I didn't start playing it until early 2005, and at that point the stuff about the sequels was starting to come out, and I leaped for joy because I wanted so much more of VII. I'm sure there are die-hard fan out there that thought this in '97 but then realized that one game is the way it should be, but since that was not how it was with me, I'm not entirely certain if my opinion is entirely valid in this thread.

Nominus Experse
06-27-2006, 09:19 AM
A mixture of yay and nay. It seems Square may be... milking the entire FFVII universe to extremes that I find a little unsettling. As someone made mention of, it seems Square is attempting to create a Mario out of FFVII, which bothers me.

However, I would very much enjoy a remake for FFVII, if it was to come out, simply for the improved graphics.

Yet I must make note that such a thing would basically require all of Square to make the game from scratch since it will have to be updated so much, meaning that Square will be making another game... but not really. I'd rather have a new Final Fantasy than an old one revisited, put it that way.

I'm not entirely certain if my opinion is entirely valid in this thread.

And Aralith, I would think that your opinion would mean something, for it was never specified as asking only 'veteran' FFVII gamers. And really, aren't we all slightly biased one way or another, no matter how hard we try not to be?

Xurts
06-27-2006, 11:38 PM
A mixture of yay and nay. It seems Square may be... milking the entire FFVII universe to extremes that I find a little unsettling. As someone made mention of, it seems Square is attempting to create a Mario out of FFVII, which bothers me.

However, I would very much enjoy a remake for FFVII, if it was to come out, simply for the improved graphics.

Yet I must make note that such a thing would basically require all of Square to make the game from scratch since it will have to be updated so much, meaning that Square will be making another game... but not really. I'd rather have a new Final Fantasy than an old one revisited, put it that way.

I'm not entirely certain if my opinion is entirely valid in this thread.

And Aralith, I would think that your opinion would mean something, for it was never specified as asking only 'veteran' FFVII gamers. And really, aren't we all slightly biased one way or another, no matter how hard we try not to be?
I think a remake of FF7 would be great. It would be a MUCH better idea than making all of these spinoffs.

Eminem's_No.1_Fan
06-27-2006, 11:40 PM
I think its a great idea they should make one for 8 as well, and maybe even 9

the_lunchbox
07-08-2006, 06:12 PM
I personally don't care what they do. They can keep making spin-offs, or discontinue the series, I don't mind. I'll buying whatever they throw out either way.

Vincent, Thunder God
07-08-2006, 06:21 PM
Nay. I have this terrible feeling that the rest of the FF 7 compilation will be just as bad as Advent Children. FF 7 was a masterpeice, and Advent Children was just a sell out. Where was the excellent storyline? All I saw was eye candy.

And, sadly, I think that the pending games will also abandon the original qualities of FF7, just to make some quick cash of material lacking in real substance.

Xurts
07-08-2006, 09:14 PM
Nay. I have this terrible feeling that the rest of the FF 7 compilation will be just as bad as Advent Children. FF 7 was a masterpeice, and Advent Children was just a sell out. Where was the excellent storyline? All I saw was eye candy.
Square obviously couldn't make AC's storyline as good as the original FF7 because they couldn't make the movie as long as the game was. FF7 was at least 50 hours long and AC was only 1.6 hours long. I thought the movie was excellent considering how long it was.

Zeromus_X
07-08-2006, 09:41 PM
It's great that SE is making more money, but it's still rather irritating. For one, this ruins any imagination as to what happens after the events of the game (and the '500 years' afterwards), but it also gives us a new perspective on the events in the game. Still, some of these seem unnecessary. (Really, a Turks Mobile Phone* game? Well, if you want...) And it was awesome seeing the whole gang 'reuniting' in the movie, if only for once. (And Kitten Sith!*)

Still, more Kitten Sith is a good thing. I'm buying DoC just to see Kitten Sith and Yuffie-witten again! :cat: :love:

*What is it like a PSP game? Meh, you understand what I mean.

*"Cloud-san is a real man!" xD

Ryth
07-12-2006, 09:21 PM
Nay. FFVII was alright, not amazing, it doesn't deserve all these sequels and prequels, I wouldn't of minded a remake or (or maybe even "and") ONE sequel, but with Advent Children, Before Crisis, Crisis Core, and Dirge of Cereberus it feels like FFVII is being milked dry. It's unsettling.

Xurts
07-13-2006, 01:19 AM
Nay. FFVII was alright, not amazing, it doesn't deserve all these sequels and prequels, I wouldn't of minded a remake or (or maybe even "and") ONE sequel, but with Advent Children, Before Crisis, Crisis Core, and Dirge of Cereberus it feels like FFVII is being milked dry. It's unsettling.
Exactly. 7 is no better than any other FF, except of course X and X-2.

cloudbuster7
08-09-2006, 01:32 AM
yay AND nay, well basically only because i like fvii a lot, it's my favorite ff, but i don't like when good games get super popular then all these people come in and start thinking they know everything. KINDA like ffx but not totally

Distain
08-09-2006, 05:25 AM
Yay. I for one wanted them to return to the FFVII universe. Of course, I didn't play it way back when like most of you probably did. Truthfully, I didn't start playing it until early 2005, and at that point the stuff about the sequels was starting to come out, and I leaped for joy because I wanted so much more of VII. I'm sure there are die-hard fan out there that thought this in '97 but then realized that one game is the way it should be, but since that was not how it was with me, I'm not entirely certain if my opinion is entirely valid in this thread.

Took the words right outa my mouth. Plus, I havent played Before Crisis, Crisis Core, and Dirge of Cereberus, so it dosent seem as beaten to death to me as the people who have played all fo them.

chronic_Maniac
08-09-2006, 05:27 AM
You know what they say, If you don't get it right on the first try. Try try try again. It seems that the game had some holes in it to the point people were stunned. This leads them in hopes for maybe a remake or perhaps an alternitive. These sequals are there to show people that yes SE got it wrong the first time and if you arn't saticfied with the story as it is then watch these and maybe then you'll be done and move on with your lives. FF7 wasn't there to hold you in your dreams forever.

Aralith
08-09-2006, 04:32 PM
The only thing I'm worried about with the all the new stuff coming out is, as someone mentioned earlier, if the storylines of these new games will be the same. We can only hope that Square doesn't pull a Matrix Trilogy on us and start feeding us s*** just for the money. I know some of you think that this has already happened with AC, but I found it a rather enjoyable movie.

cloudbuster7
08-12-2006, 03:07 AM
i thought AC kicked major ass. but what i think people want to see, and play, is a new game. not DC or a third person shooter for that matter, or a remake of ffvii. from what i hear from most people, they think the idea of DC is lame. people want to see cloud strife and sephiroth (and tifa). the only thing i hope for is that crisis core will be kick ass. but personally i wish ac was a game.

Vyk
08-12-2006, 10:15 AM
I would say yay, as I love that world more than the others and would gladly like to see more of it. But unfortunately I'm slightly disappointed in what I've gotten of the sequals so far. I adored Last Order. But AC could have had more meat to it. Everything else I'm just waiting and seeing. I loved FF7 but I don't consider myself a fanboy. So it doesn't bother me how it goes. But I'm glad to have the oportunity