PDA

View Full Version : What Resident Evil 4 Should Have Been.

Dreddz
06-21-2006, 06:40 PM
Resident Evil 3.5 (http://youtube.com/watch?v=kWpEE_5pDzQ&search=resident%20evil%20)

Video is pretty old now, but does anyone else wish this is what RE4 turned out to be. This looks 10x better than what RE4 turned out like. Why Capcom :(

~SapphireStar~
06-21-2006, 06:50 PM
Indeed it does look better then 4. Would have been nice to have played this instead.
That damm deers head freaked me out :( And those dolls reminded me of Silent Hill. And Hook dude is scary!

Craig
06-21-2006, 06:53 PM
Gotta admit, that does look pretty good. But no way does it beat Resi 4.

Shoeberto
06-21-2006, 06:54 PM
What an awesome Silent Hill clip.

edit: Oh wait.

KentaRawr!
06-21-2006, 06:56 PM
The way the colors change when you get into a battle... o_o creepy. The way it suddenly goes from walking around cluelessly to a battle would have made me poo my pants! :eek:

Tifa's Real Lover(really
06-21-2006, 07:05 PM
tht looked pretty good

SeeDRankLou
06-21-2006, 08:33 PM
That looked good, maybe some of the earlier Resident Evils could have been like that, but Resident Evil 4 is perfect the way it is.

Captain Maxx Power
06-21-2006, 08:53 PM

Nicely summed up on my behalf. Basically this does look way too much like Silent Hill. RE4 was significantly better because it innovated. This just looked way too much like the old-school Resident Evil gameplay. Almost identical infact, apart from the over-the-shoulder shooting (and even that didn't kick in all the time). Let's not forget the Tomb Raider series that lost it's way with carbon copy after carbon copy. It's taken that series seven+ years to redeem itself. RE4 was a much needed changed of pace. What this video shows is just how terribly samey the game could have been.

So in short, this is not a "better" version of Resident Evil.

Wuggly Blight
06-21-2006, 09:23 PM
In view only, some of us think RE4 is garbage unworthy of Resident Evil. One of the original versions of RE4 was released as Devil May Cry instead.

Maxico
06-21-2006, 10:41 PM
Since when did Resident Evil have ghosts?

edczxcvbnm
06-21-2006, 10:56 PM
That wierd ghost things was cool but when it gets a hold of you it becomes retarded. There are videos of Leon fighting that ghost and it is just sad. I was all pumped for that version and was well after RE4...until I saw that ghost video. That kind of ruined anything that could have been.

I did not watch the video posted so I don't know if it has what I am refering to in it.

You tube is a terrible /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gifty site.

Alixsar
06-22-2006, 02:28 AM
The original RE4 looked really cool when they first announced it. The idea of a typical RE but with ghosts and some sort of weird fog or something sounded/looked really cool. However, the video proves that it would not have been very fun. It showcases exactly what was wrong with all of the old REs: boring combat. Throwing molotov cocktails at dolls and occasionally shooting at some ghost/zombie until he sometimes gets hurt and then sort of randomly dies doesn't look very fun. I'm very glad that Capcom decided to not make RE4 into a Silent Hill type game. The final product is much better.

runouni k master
06-22-2006, 04:39 AM
what are you talking about re4 was the best its beter then 0 1 2 3 and any outer game with the name 2 was secound best to me

~SapphireStar~
06-22-2006, 01:09 PM
No, you think RE4 is the best because it was the first RE you played. It was rubbish and Zero and RE 1 and 2 owned it.

Shoeberto
06-22-2006, 07:39 PM
No, you think RE4 is the best because it was the first RE you played. It was rubbish and Zero and RE 1 and 2 owned it.
Zero was all-around received as being very meh. Both in gameplay and, more importantly, story, it falls far short of RE4's.

I mean, really. A man made of mutating zombie leeches?

~SapphireStar~
06-22-2006, 07:59 PM
RE4 didnt have the classic and traditional zombies though. Thats what I dilsiked about it. And I didnt like looking over Leons shoulder as he was killing stuff, Im not use to that. And I was told there was an opinion to change it, but I couldnt as I was playing the game with others.

DudeSon2004
06-22-2006, 09:30 PM
When I first played Resi 4, I thought ''WTF'', but then I battled a lot of Ganados & loved it. I have the originals which are now known as classics but the 4th game was already a classic when it came out.

~SapphireStar~
06-22-2006, 10:26 PM
but the 4th game was already a classic when it came out.
How so? Because it had the RE label on it?

Necron
06-22-2006, 10:35 PM
I've never seen this video before, but man did it freak me out. There was alot of jumpy moments, perhaps too much for a Resident Evil. But, I gotta say i prefer the original gameplay to the RE4 gameplay, so this could possibly have been better than what RE4 turned out to be. Just my opinion though.

Outer Heaven
06-22-2006, 11:30 PM
so this could possibly have been better than what RE4 turned out to be. Just my opinion though.

I agree.

Levian
06-22-2006, 11:54 PM
I love scary old mansions. Or at least being inside buildings. It's just not scary when it's happening outside.

JaytodaP
06-23-2006, 01:21 AM
Resident Evil 4 is one of my favorite games, if not my number one. I find it a lot more fun blowing people's brains out because i actually have ammo.

Me playing resident evil 0 i think:

Me: Oh /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif, mad zombies.
*pulls out magnum*
ITZ JAKE BITCH
BAM
*walks into next room only to find a boss*
FAAAAAAAAAAACK only 3 bullets?

That has happened before in many other situations and in many other REs. the older ones were more about timing and act and react. how many times have i used too much ammo and said "what are the consequenses of what i have just done?" its more of taking out what you can with your pistol, and wait for lickers/hunters for your shotgun and bosses with your magnum. It was boring trying to find a good place to shoot, fire VERY slowly, back up, and shoot more and then leave the room holding your shoulder. It was also annoying as hell taking damage from an off-screen enemy you couldnt see. RE4 is the best because it breaks away from slow-paced gameplay for a huge thrill ride you'll never forget.

Galbadian Soldier
06-23-2006, 02:46 AM
RE4 had good gameplay(imo) but the story was just S***, and Ashley bugged the hell out of me. I let her die sometimes just because I got tired of "LEEEOOONN!!!" :mad:

Madame Adequate
06-23-2006, 02:49 AM
Both the lines I was planning - "That was awesome Silent Hill footage" and "When did RE get ghosts?" - have already been taken.

Yeah, that look pretty sweet graphically. It also looked pretty boring in gameplay terms. There was no action, and no feeling of danger. It was the same old PS-era RE stuff - put some distance between you and an enemy, shoot it until it gets close, repeat until it dies.

4 might not have been as scary (Though anyone who says THAT hasn't met the Regenerators yet *Shudder*) as this, but I'll put good money down saying what we have is the better option.

I wasn't even affected out by this anyway. Sorry, but I've seen things jump out at you far too often, and I've seen animated dolls far too often. The older REs wouldn't have scared me anyway, except for my phobia of zombies, so... yeah. If I want to be scared I'll go play Fatal Frame.

Millia Billia
06-23-2006, 09:17 AM
Resident Evil 4 was perfection. That looked awesome, and really creepy, but it indeed looked more like something out of Silent Hill or Alone in the Dark. RE isn't about ghostly spirits that come out of walls and try to kill you, so I don't think it would of made a proper RE game. Plus RE4's gameplay blows that away.

It'd be nice as some other Capcom title though.

Giga Guess
06-23-2006, 01:50 PM
I liked it, but that's because I like Silent Hill, and that clip looked SO Silent Hill, it ain't funny. Could be a reason it was dropped IMHO, as I could see many people mentioning that in the Beta tests.

edczxcvbnm
06-23-2006, 03:29 PM
Zero was all-around received as being very meh. Both in gameplay and, more importantly, story, it falls far short of RE4's.

I mean, really. A man made of mutating zombie leeches?

No way. The gameplay was great in RE Zero. It was just the story that sucked. No boxes with the limited space of the other RE games made item management even more of a pain in the ass.

Dignified Pauper
06-23-2006, 03:47 PM
Resident Evil 1 > Resident Evil 2 > Resident Evil 4 > Resident Evil 3.

all really good games. nuff said.

Old Manus
06-23-2006, 03:52 PM
Resident Evil 4 was an awesome game. I fail to see how people say it is rubbish, even if it doesn't have much to do with the previous Resident Evils. Go and play FFX-2 instead.

edczxcvbnm
06-23-2006, 04:46 PM

Pfffffft

Resident Evil 4 > Resident Evil 3 > Resident Evil 1 > Resident Evil 0 > crappy RE gameboy color game > lots of other stuff > Resident Evil 2

Dreddz
06-23-2006, 04:58 PM
Resident Evil 2 > edczxcvbnm

edczxcvbnm
06-23-2006, 05:03 PM
Resident Evil 2 > edczxcvbnm

Coming from you the opposite must be true. edczxcvbnm>everything:tongue:

Dreddz
06-23-2006, 05:06 PM
The opposite would be Resident Evil 2 < edczxcvbnm

edczxcvbnm
06-23-2006, 05:07 PM
The opposite would be Resident Evil 2 < edczxcvbnm

But I had to add some spice and zing to it :D

Madame Adequate
06-23-2006, 06:29 PM

Pfffffft

Resident Evil 4 > Resident Evil 3 > Resident Evil 1 > Resident Evil 0 > crappy RE gameboy color game > lots of other stuff > Resident Evil 2

No. RE2 = second best in the series.

Dreddz
06-23-2006, 07:30 PM
RE2 has always been the best in the series. While the others are good, RE2 is on another level to them.

edczxcvbnm
06-23-2006, 07:31 PM
I seriously rank RE2 right below REZero. It didn't really add anything new to the series. It was good but RE3 built upon everything with dodging, quick reaction things, quick 180 turns. It was solid and brought the series to the next level. RE2 didn't add much to the gameplay.

RE4 - Faster paced, more action,behind player camera view.
RECV - 3D enviornments, swinging Camera and non-linear gameplay
RE:0 - two people at the same time and gets rid of item boxes
RE - The original...there for it is original

What did RE2 do that was so much better than the above to add to the general gameplay of the series? I can't think of anything hence the low ranking.

Dreddz
06-23-2006, 07:50 PM
I could come up with a long explaination why RE2 is the best in the series, but Im tired. It dosent matter whether the game does anything new to the series, I found it more enjoyable than the other games, and Im sure others do as well. Simple as.

edczxcvbnm
06-23-2006, 09:42 PM
Oh...in that case it probably is below the RE gameboy color game.

Dreddz
06-23-2006, 09:52 PM
It probably is, Gaiden was awesome :D

edczxcvbnm
06-24-2006, 12:04 AM
Hellz yeah it was. Greatness in 2D has been achieved like never before.

Millia Billia
06-24-2006, 03:06 AM
Resident Evil 4 > Resident Evil X > Resident Evil 2 > Resident Evil 0 > Resident Evil REmake > Resident Evil > Resident Evil 3 > Resident Evil Survivor

LunarWeaver
06-24-2006, 03:23 AM
I love rooms where you can't see, locked doors, bad camera angles, horrible puzzles, and lots of walking. This game would have been my dream come true.

Necron
06-24-2006, 01:02 PM
I love scary old mansions. Or at least being inside buildings. It's just not scary when it's happening outside.

Exactly, when your outside, you can basically see all the enemies that are about to try and eat you, so you don't jump as often. And you just don't get that sense of claustrophobia when you're outside, which is very important.

Madame Adequate
06-24-2006, 01:44 PM

Exactly, when your outside, you can basically see all the enemies that are about to try and eat you, so you don't jump as often. And you just don't get that sense of claustrophobia when you're outside, which is very important.

Any game which can't make being outside scary is lame and the makers need to watch a few good horror movies. Getting inside is good. The enclosed space can work to your advantage, if you have any smarts.

Actually, it'll be better once the next generation comes in, with more draw distance and smarter enemies who can see you from further.

Millia Billia
06-24-2006, 03:33 PM
What's scary and what isn't is subjective and will vary from person to person. I didn't find any of the RE games scary at all, just awesome.

Moon Rabbits
06-24-2006, 03:34 PM

Truly!

Croyles
06-29-2006, 02:31 AM
From what ive seen of Resident evil 5 (the one coming out sometime), I think it will be a combination of old school Resident Evil and Resident Evil 4, which I like. The good old zombies are back, but fast as hell!

Wuggly Blight
06-29-2006, 11:26 AM
It does look better then RE4, and I hope RE5 is actually horror this time around and not bad action anime. Call me old fashioned, but when I buy horror, I expect horror (When I read the FF12 review, I saw the words "More action packed!" and was out off, I want a RPG thank you, not tomb raider.), Ive even heard some forums calling for putting in terrorists in instead *sigh* Silent hills better at the moment anyway, its managed to keep a continus and progressive storyline where as RE stopped its storyline awhile ago and went with "Presidents daughter has been kidnapped" crap with no prgression of the story, and SH maintains its horror atmosphere. RE4 didnt even have as much geography accuracy as previous games, the buildings actually had a real layout not a bunch of long random corridors with a huge void of space between them, and the buildings being one lone line. RE1 remake is the coolest, 1 was the best and the remake make it even better though 2 is fairly good, also in how it progressed the story of Umbrella.

Moon Rabbits
06-29-2006, 04:33 PM
Silent Hill's storyline is actually very inconsistent.

Silent Hill 1 and 3 are connected, As in, Heather being Harry's daughter Cheryl; as well as the continuation of the Holy Woman storyline

And Silent Hill 2 and 4 are very, very vaguely connected, There is a very minor character in Silent Hill 2 (I believe he is only mentioned in a note?) who is in fact the main villain of Silent Hill 4

You could play any Silent Hill (other than 3, really) and the storylines would make perfect sense because they have no major connections to eachother other than the concept of Silent Hill. Except 3, that is heavily related to 1.

Zell's Fists of Fury
06-29-2006, 06:25 PM
Silent Hill's storyline is actually very inconsistent.

Silent Hill 1 and 3 are connected, As in, Heather being Harry's daughter Cheryl; as well as the continuation of the Holy Woman storyline

And Silent Hill 2 and 4 are very, very vaguely connected, There is a very minor character in Silent Hill 2 (I believe he is only mentioned in a note?) who is in fact the main villain of Silent Hill 4

You could play any Silent Hill (other than 3, really) and the storylines would make perfect sense because they have no major connections to eachother other than the concept of Silent Hill. Except 3, that is heavily related to 1.
Oh, they're all related to each other greatly. They each expand on the TOWN of Silent Hill which is what the games are about, not the characters within the town.

Although I don't know why you brought this up in a Resident Evil thread.

Moon Rabbits
06-29-2006, 08:00 PM
Wuggly mentioned the progression of the Silent Hill storyline.

Madame Adequate
06-29-2006, 08:08 PM
Silent hills better at the moment anyway, its managed to keep a continus and progressive storyline where as RE stopped its storyline awhile ago and went with "Presidents daughter has been kidnapped" crap with no prgression of the story

I assume you're talking about some spin-off Resi game for the DS or something? Because there was plenty of stuff for the overall plot in RE4.

Wuggly Blight
06-29-2006, 08:26 PM
Magical mind control and a kidnapped presidents daughter (that got old 30 years ago), 75 hours later. nothing new. Memos that cover whats just happened, no atmsophere ending in Using Amercia to take over the world. No progression in the story at all, and no master storyline at all. At least silent hill kep both its game plot and master series plot on track and progressive, what little RE4 had was all out of game anyway.
RE4 is the worst horror game I have ever played,

Madame Adequate
06-29-2006, 11:53 PM
Magical mind control and a kidnapped presidents daughter (that got old 30 years ago), 75 hours later. nothing new. Memos that cover whats just happened, no atmsophere ending in Using Amercia to take over the world. No progression in the story at all, and no master storyline at all. At least silent hill kep both its game plot and master series plot on track and progressive, what little RE4 had was all out of game anyway.

So you've not played any of the Silent Hill games, then? Or the other REs? Or the Fatal Frame games? In fact, I think RE4 must be the only such game you've played, if you can say that with a straight face.

Oh, and if you have a problem with 'magical mind control' there are several hundred species of insects you may want to have words with.

LunarWeaver
06-30-2006, 12:00 AM
I thought the gameplay itself was a white-knuckle scary in Re4... so I love it for that... Silent Hill is just atmosphere scary. That's not bad either, but fun+scary is better then walkingaround+scary in my book. I do like Silent Hill stories and settings better though. Hopefully they re-ripoff Resident Evil so I can have a Silent Hill where I'm scared and I get to shoot something too. And no more completely abstract puzzles where I can't move forward in the game unless I use a toothpick on a jar of jelly to make a key.

Wuggly Blight
06-30-2006, 11:23 AM

So you've not played any of the Silent Hill games, then? Or the other REs? Or the Fatal Frame games? In fact, I think RE4 must be the only such game you've played, if you can say that with a straight face.

Oh, and if you have a problem with 'magical mind control' there are several hundred species of insects you may want to have words with.

Woah woah dont soil yourself its a game. I have played other games and by far RE4 is the worst horror game yet for me. Someone doesnt like it, get over it.
How can you have words with a insect? Magical spores that can magically turn into some mind control parasite all magically controlled by Saddlar? The whole "Presidents daughter has been kidnapped! shoot your way threw a long line of generic baddies to save her!" got old along time ago. The layout of the game was bad, no geography seen is previous games just one long path, even the castle was one long corridor into space, the builders must of been bad as theres like 60 meters of unused space between the rooms. There was no horror at all, that was the most dissapointing part.
The Merchant was all well and nice, but not resident evil.
Most of the very little story it did have, or any chance for a story progression happened out of game, It seemed they just threw in generic badass enemies just for the sake of it.
Music score, lame. Does not build the atmosphere as it used to.
Design. Boring, not much to do and so many chances to build a horror atmosphere that was wasted.
Ada was cool but Im sure one of the girls out there can tell me how easy it is to do backflips and use a grapplehook in a cocktail dress and high heals.
The Matrix doesnt wash with this generation, I expect so much more then running up the walls shooting and performing 400 feet jumps.
Little background of the games story was given, its not very scary if you dont know anythings happened. Though some woodcuttings was shown at the end if you had the pacience to watch.
Devil may cry is slightly better and parasite eve is far superior to this rather dated game, Silent Hill far outshines it.

Madame Adequate
06-30-2006, 02:48 PM
How can you have words with a insect? Magical spores that can magically turn into some mind control parasite all magically controlled by Saddlar?

See that's the point I was making. It's not magical. Many species of insect use communication methods we're not familiar with, or just barely coming to understand, to 'speak' to each other in surprisingly complex ways. Not in the same exact way as RE4 shows, but it's a piece of fiction - it's allowed some artistic license.

The layout of the game was bad, no geography seen is previous games just one long path, even the castle was one long corridor into space, the builders must of been bad as theres like 60 meters of unused space between the rooms.

Yeah this is what makes me think you've not played the previous RE games. The only one of those with remotely plausable geography was the original, and there are still plenty of areas in and around the mansion I don't find likely.

There was no horror at all, that was the most dissapointing part.

I agree with this, mostly. Regenerators were pretty scary, but aside from that it was more oriented towards action than suspense and horror. That said, there wasn't that much horror in RE2 or 3, unless you have an inherent fear of zombies like I do. Those games weren't scary either. RE games never have been. Silent Hill, Fatal Frame, and so forth; they are all a lot more 'horror' than Resident Evil. That doesn't necessarily make them better games.

Wuggly Blight
06-30-2006, 05:55 PM
When RE1 first came out, there wasnt that much Zombie horror games really, or even playable game horror, That aided in making it scary for its day, that and we was all much younger back then.
I would say a horror game that contains horror is really better.
Also, Zombies are cool. they make anything cool.
Regenerators was the "scarest" Monster on the game they made me jump at first, and DAMN annoying. though sometimes its more take you by surprise then scary.

anacacia
06-30-2006, 06:07 PM
I'm not sure I am really interested in Resident Evil 4. Personally I was never into the series. I am more of a Fatal Frame and Silent Hill person myself. I loved the first Silent Hill. It was good, not the best voice acting, but it was fun.

I mean, I hardly know anything about Resident Evil, but if you ask me a question about Silent Hill I can answer it. I am right there, I mean... seriously.

I just got interested in the series of Fatal Frame, I thought I would try that because I finished the Silent Hill series so far. It is hard... but I do have a problem with Fatal Frame 2... How in the hell can you press an 'A' button on a PS2 controller??? I was in front of a door... and it told me to press the 'A' button... then I had to quit the game... and... I restarted so many times, and never could find the 'A' button on the PS2 controller!!!

edczxcvbnm
07-01-2006, 12:32 AM
The only thing horror about Resident Evil has always been the lack of Ammo and the decisions you have to make to survive. Other than that the games have never been scary at all. Not being able to see around the corner made you scared to go around it because Zombie could be right there. That element was removed from 4 and was never present in Silent Hill anywhere.

RE is a different type of scary than Silent Hill and it has to do with gameplay and not story or atmosphere.