PDA

View Full Version : Sugar-highness isn't real?!

Monster Hunt
06-22-2006, 08:00 AM
I was in Science class a few days ago, going quite crazy (by eating alot of Skittles) so my friend said "Hey, your going sugar high!". Then my science teacher walked up to us and said "Sugar-high isn't real. Sugar is supposed to clam you down apparently". He walked off (we luckily got away with being off task) and my friend and I were stangely shocked, not to mention doughtful.

Damnit! How can this be true!? Is it true? Why does science have to ruin some fun things?!

What's your say on this sad, pointless topic?

rubah
06-22-2006, 08:04 AM
Sugar gives you a short burst of energy because it's easy for the body to process.

Young and pre-teens misuse that as an excuse to act zany and erratic.

Psydekick
06-22-2006, 08:09 AM
OMG i never knew that, does it rly?

Azure Chrysanthemum
06-22-2006, 08:43 AM
Sugar, as I recall, isn't a stimulant, but merely a placebo.

Badge
06-22-2006, 09:02 AM
Check out you bunch of scientists hehe ^-----^
Very snazzy

TinyRikku
06-22-2006, 09:18 AM
OMG THATS TRUE!!?? Whew glad my parents don't know that..I tell them that I'm hyper cuz of sugar lol!! Even though I don't need it lol=^^= GOD I LOVE SUGAR!! :p

starseeker
06-22-2006, 09:49 AM
I find it easier to be hyper if I eat too much food. Doesn't have to be sugar. There's just a lag if it isn't.

Reine
06-22-2006, 10:47 AM
heh, despite having ADHD, im actually never hyper anymore, I still pig out on sugar though...tastes gooood..well, not that good, but I cant bear cereal without tons of sugar.

escobert
06-22-2006, 11:01 AM
Yes I actually saw it on the news yesterday.

Captain Maxx Power
06-22-2006, 11:01 AM
For some unknown reason females seem to be more into the idea of sugar-highness that guys. No idea why, just seems that way.

Jess
06-22-2006, 11:43 AM
If that actually exsisted I'd always be 'sugar high' because I have like 4 sugars in my tea... :exdee:

~SapphireStar~
06-22-2006, 12:55 PM
My brother, godson and cousin are forbidden to drink Coke because it can make them very hyper. I have to have at least 3 fizzy drinks a day cause I know it sounds silly, but I start to feel sick if I dont have any.

crono_logical
06-22-2006, 01:01 PM
Sugar high seems to exist in Aexodens though when they are fed with large amounts of ice cream :p

Reine
06-22-2006, 01:04 PM
xD clout

Jess, i have about 6 spoons in my milo XD (I always brush my teeth after thouhh, its like a gross feeling afterwards)

starseeker
06-22-2006, 01:33 PM
I can't eat anything in the morning if its sweet. I just have bread and milk for breakfast. I'm hungry by break though.

Levian
06-22-2006, 02:23 PM
Give a bloke some aspirins and tell him it's the ecstacy and he'll be wasted in 30 seconds.

Moon Rabbits
06-22-2006, 02:42 PM
My mother works in a group home for troubled children. They're not allowed to have sugar, but salt is more dangerous for them to have (I'm not sure why, none of them are allergic or anything).

And rubah, last time I checked sugar ISNT easy to process. I heard it takes just about every vitamin in your body to do so, as well as causes cancer.

Yay sugar!

EDIT:

Because sugar is devoid of minerals, vitamins, fiber, and has such a deteriorating effect on the endocrine system, major researchers and major health organizations (American Dietetic Association and American Diabetic Association) agree that sugar consumption in America is one of the 3 major causes of degenerative disease.

SOURCE: <a href=http://www.healingdaily.com/detoxification-diet/sugar.htm>Sugar!</a>

FURTHER EDIT:

Give a bloke some aspirins and tell him it's the ecstacy and he'll be wasted in 30 seconds.

E takes 15 minutes to a half hour to kick in, or five to ten minutes if you snort it.

He'd think he was wasted in 15 minutes. :)

Sylvie
06-22-2006, 02:43 PM
My teacher fed me 5 packs of skittles. What a horrible mistake he made.

Rye
06-22-2006, 02:54 PM
I don't get sugar high, despite the obscene amounts of candy that I have on certain occasions. :p

Dignified Pauper
06-22-2006, 03:07 PM
Sugar is actually a placebo, with no real benefits. It's too easily broken down and absorbed and subsequently used by cells before it reaches your brain to cause you to have any sort of "hyper-active" thoughts or actions. In mass amounts, it can cause bursts of energy, but what you get from a soda or candy bar isn't enough.

bipper
06-22-2006, 03:10 PM
Sugar, as I recall, isn't a stimulant, but merely a placebo.

Sugar is not a placebo, but can be used as one. Sugar actually does make you hyper, but not directly. The little jump start of energy gets your body moving - kinda like a er.. jump start does to a car. Your own body does the rest. Sugar will offer a small boost of very short term energy, while your now stimulated body can fuel out the rest.

A placebo cannot have any direct link to an effect. IE - a sugar pill is a placebo often used in medical testing and psycology. It is not a great control, but several consider it to be just that in experiments.

Bipper

Loony BoB
06-22-2006, 03:11 PM
E takes 15 minutes to a half hour to kick in, or five to ten minutes if you snort it.

Dunno, people have a psychological tendency to think that they're under the influence of all sorts of things long before they actually are under the influence - particularly with alcohol, although I'm not sure on anything to do with ecstacy.

As for sugar highs, I don't know about what sugar does to you, but give me some Pepsi and a bag of Skittles and you'll probably see me being pretty hyper, at least on some level.

Old Manus
06-22-2006, 03:47 PM
All I know about sugar is that it tastes nice and that it is bad for your teeth

Moon Rabbits
06-22-2006, 03:48 PM
I've found that sugar has no effect on me. I drink an energy drink (ie. Red Bull, BAWLS) I don't get "aware", I get ridiculously hyper any annoying.

<3 chugging 3 cans of redbull.

DeathKnight
06-22-2006, 03:50 PM
Sugar gives you a short burst of energy because it's easy for the body to process.

Young and pre-teens misuse that as an excuse to act zany and erratic.

Science teacher Ms.Rubah knows what she's saying

rubah
06-22-2006, 07:54 PM

Dunno, people have a psychological tendency to think that they're under the influence of all sorts of things long before they actually are under the influence - particularly with alcohol, although I'm not sure on anything to do with ecstacy.

As for sugar highs, I don't know about what sugar does to you, but give me some Pepsi and a bag of Skittles and you'll probably see me being pretty hyper, at least on some level.
Or chocolates.

With staticky wrappers.

Yamaneko
06-22-2006, 07:59 PM
In America, first you get the sugar, then you get the power, then you get the women.

Shoeberto
06-22-2006, 07:59 PM
You guys really believed that there's such a thing as a sugar high? Wow. Take no offense, but that's the dumbest thing I've heard lately.

It's a psychological effect. You think "I have sugar! This should get me hyper!" so you get hyper. The concept of the sugar high is something that has absolutely annoyed me for years because people seem to be so convinced that it's real, but it's obvious that they're just being fake about it all.

Vincent, Thunder God
06-22-2006, 10:09 PM
It really depends on the person. Some people are activated by sugar, some are calmed by it, and for some it just has no effect. It can really be affected by your tolerance to sugar's energy boost.

You did that? That's so mean!

Kawaii Ryűkishi
06-22-2006, 10:38 PM
Did you know that moths circle light sources as a result of natural angular flight path instincts? They're not actually "attracted" to the light.

Everything you know is wrong, of course.

Chris
06-22-2006, 11:28 PM
I kinda have a craving for soda, so I make sure to drink some everyday. I guess I'm addicted to the sugar somehow. It most definitely is a "real" high.

Vincent, Thunder God
06-23-2006, 01:22 AM

Is there ever a post you make that isn't blatantly negative?

Anaisa
06-23-2006, 01:51 AM
I've never believed in sugar highs. An those stupid parents who try an blame their obnoxious child's behaviour on them having lots of sugar. It's blatantly obvious their kids are stupid brats whether they consume food or drink with high levels of sugar in it or not.

Jojee
06-23-2006, 02:15 AM
I am never affected by sugar high either :3 I eat tons of sugary junk foods and stuff and I'm still the same ;) I'm also not affected by caffeine but I looooove frappuchinos (best blend of caffeine and sugar!), so someone please post a post now that states caffeine highs are fake~

Kawaii Ryűkishi
06-23-2006, 02:46 AM

Is there ever a post you make that isn't blatantly negative?That isn't necessarily a negative statement. And stay on-topic, please.

Zeromus_X
06-23-2006, 03:12 AM
Only if I drink soda, which isn't very often, I get a 'jump-start' as was described.

Very interesting, still.

Xaven
06-23-2006, 04:38 AM
I do believe sugar highs can be real--to an extent. Everybody's body chemistry is different. For some people, sugar (as well as many many other substances) can have an extreme effect. For others, it may have no effect whatsoever.

Though, yes, I really can see how so many people fake being on a major sugar rush (most even get themselves to believe it). I know there are people whom sugar really kicks their system into 10th gear, but they hype that's created around it is simply annoying.

Personally, sugar has little effect on me. Even after chugging down 32 sugar packets at Disneyland, there wasn't much to say for it. Though, I'm sure my pancreas still hates me. I'm sorry pancreas. ;__;

Give a bloke some aspirins and tell him it's the ecstacy and he'll be wasted in 30 seconds. Pity how true that is.

I kinda have a craving for soda, so I make sure to drink some everyday. I guess I'm addicted to the sugar somehow./QUOTE]
That would be the caffeine in it. Caffeine is addictive, you know.

[Quote=Aisles!]I've found that sugar has no effect on me. I drink an energy drink (ie. Red Bull, BAWLS) I don't get "aware", I get ridiculously hyper any annoying.
That would mostly be the caffeine. :3

I have to have at least 3 fizzy drinks a day cause I know it sounds silly, but I start to feel sick if I dont have any. I believe you've addicted your body to caffeine. This is exaclty what happens to people who drink lots-ish of coffee (or their body is sensitive to caffeine) who abruptly stop one day. You really should try cutting back. Your pancreas hates you.