PDA

View Full Version : Comments, and a few Blitzball questions.

ValiantKnight
06-22-2006, 09:38 PM
Possible spoliers I guess.

First of all, not too far in. Won the crystal cup with the jecht shot and venom shot. 2 to 1. Graav sure is tough.
Played another game just after landing at the place after Luca.
Beat some team named Guados... 2 to 1.

For the blitzball questions:

Should I play alot of blitzball right now or should I continue the story to find more areas/players?

Is there any disadvantage to leveling up my current squad?

Are there any recruitable players right after landing here(right after Luca, the game, and 2 new guardians with swords)?

I win games ok by staying away from the other team with Letty and passing far to Tidus, who usually gets a goal, but notice my team rarely wins encounters with opposing teams.. and loses the ball alot if caught. Also we lose even 3 on 1 encounters when the opposing team is on offense(Graav especially). Is there anyway to stay away from the opposing team better to open passing up and stop encounters more, or make my people a little better at handling them?

And now back to the general..
No offense to any FFX fans, but Tidus... can be highly annoying. His little spat with Auron out on the dock where he throws a temper tanturm had me reaching for the remote to mute the TV. Sigh, how much of this do I have to endure? The game is rather fun at times. I'm getting used to the sphere grid, and assume theres no way I can mess it up, which had made me pause before about gaining sphere levels early. It also has some very corny/trying to be funny moments that just... are not funny. Tidus is just too carefree, corny, and strange. He doesn't take any responsibility or act mature at all most of the time.
Aside from my lack of liking for Tidus, the ultra long FMVs that take forever and seem like they could be sped up or shortened.... the blitzball aspect of the game, the sphere grid, and the fighting are ok and enjoyable..
Just the game needs:
less or shorter FMVs
less Tidus talking
more fighting

I can understand the reason for a save sphere every 50 feet. You need them to not have to replay the FMVs.

The story so far is a little confusing... especially with the somewhat bomb dropped by Auron that Sin is Jecht...
Thats a little hard to think of, but I'm sure it'll be clearer later.

Not meaning to be negative, just Tidus' personality is really.. abrasive.
Auron is much more likable... would have preferred him as the main character.... or even Wakka.
Hope Tidus changes later in the game.
Didn't mean to offend anyone or bash or any of that sort, just stating my feelings and opinions. Thanks for any Blitzball help. Sorry if anyone flames me back because they like Tidus. Just merely an observation and how I feel about him.

Tavrobel
06-22-2006, 09:52 PM
Should I play alot of blitzball right now or should I continue the story to find more areas/players?

Focus on the game. The only reason for Blitzball is for Wakka's Ultimate Weapon, a Weaponyou will likely not use until after you beat the game once.

Is there any disadvantage to leveling up my current squad?
Are there any recruitable players right after landing here(right after Luca, the game, and 2 new guardians with swords)?

Not really, but you could miss out on some of the better players, especially Brother (who is a godsend for low level matches). There won't be any majorly recruitable players for the rest of the game. They are either in Luca, or scattered acorss Spira. The teams can be found in certain areas during plot events.

Is there anyway to stay away from the opposing team better to open passing up and stop encounters more, or make my people a little better at handling them?

Not for awhile. You may have to level up before the game becomes any easier. However, Tidus does get a slow speed bonus, but mostly amongst his higher levels.

No offense to any FFX fans, but Tidus... can be highly annoying. Sigh, how much of this do I have to endure?

He's the main character. Take a wild guess.

I'm getting used to the sphere grid, and assume theres no way I can mess it up, which had made me pause before about gaining sphere levels early.

Ohh, no. You can mess up horribly on the Sphere Grid. You'll know how when you DO mess up.

It also has some very corny/trying to be funny moments that just... are not funny. Tidus is just too carefree, corny, and strange. He doesn't take any responsibility or act mature at all most of the time.

Hope Tidus changes later in the game.

Progress some further into the game. Tidus takes on a more mature role, if only for a small part of the game.

The story so far is a little confusing... especially with the somewhat bomb dropped by Auron that Sin is Jecht...
Thats a little hard to think of, but I'm sure it'll be clearer later.

It will be clearer later.

TheSpoonyBard
06-22-2006, 10:12 PM
It'd be worth putting in a few games to win Wakka's Attack Reels overdrive. You can do that in 2-3 games as Attack Reels is won in a Tournament. You can pick up a few decent players in and around Luca.

LF: Tidus (already on team)
RF: Wedge (Luca, right-hand side of the steps leading to the stadium)
MF: Zev Ronso (Luca, Dock 5)
LD: Ropp (Mi'ihen Travel Agency)
RD: Zalitz (Luca, on the right-hand side of the path leading to the Sphere Theatre)
GL: Jumal (Luca, sitting on the bench on the left-hand side of the large monument in the main square)

Those players are better than the Aurochs and you'll find winning games much easier.

ValiantKnight
06-22-2006, 10:18 PM
but I can pick them up right now? immediately after blitzball becomes available?

Tavrobel
06-22-2006, 10:21 PM
If you can pay their salary, anywhere from 1 to 1000 gil (not sure about the max salary) per game hired, then yes. I'm not sure about the restrictions of players (8 on a team) or cutting contracts short.

ValiantKnight
06-22-2006, 10:23 PM
ahhhhh ouch... money not something I have alot of now....
Hmm will see. thanks.

TheSpoonyBard
06-22-2006, 10:28 PM
Going with the players I suggested you'll need 860 gil per game for the whole team. You can pick them up as soon as you touch the save sphere on the Mi'ihen Highroad, right after Luca.

ValiantKnight
06-23-2006, 12:19 AM
Dont think there are any spoilers...

Played a little in a tournament(never could spell it... )
Beat the Ronsos... very slow...... 3 - 0
Beat the Kilika team.... weak stats? 5 - 0
Played the Al Bhed(sp?) team... Sheesh! all of them have 10+ block, 9+ attack, and although their scorers are pretty weak, they aren't gimp. To top it off they all are pretty fast.. so no break aways. Overtime and Letty finally got a venom pass off to Tidus through 1 defender who got poisoned.... Tidus right at the goal with 1 defender and does Jecht Shot..... finally goes through... Nimrook is insane. 1 - 0 in overtime.
Al Bhed should stand for "ultimate defense" or similar.... never seen such a strong defensive team. All of them make Graav look like an amateur.

Team won the tourney and won attack reels.
Team is level 6-8 except wedge who is 3.
I had picked up Wedge, Zalitz, and Jumal for 5 games... they all have 1 left.
About out of money and guess I'll have to let them go.

And what did you mean by it can prevent me from getting Brother?
So its bad to play Blitzball at this point and I should revert to my earlier save.... or its ok and keep going from here?

TheSpoonyBard
06-23-2006, 01:11 AM
The Al Bhed are the most difficult team to contend with at low levels, with the Goers in second place.

And what did you mean by it can prevent me from getting Brother?
Nothing can prevent you getting Brother. I think Tavrobel meant if you level up lots now you'll miss out on Brother's domination of the field at the low levels. There's nothing to worry about though.

So its bad to play Blitzball at this point and I should revert to my earlier save.... or its ok and keep going from here?
If you've already won Attack Reels then carry on playing. There's no need to start over from your previous save.

Renmiri
06-23-2006, 05:25 AM
To get gil and toughen up your characters follow Mi'hen's highroad fighting fiends (talk to everyone, they will give you expensive stuff) then, when you reach the travel agency double back and return to the beginning of the road. Do that at least once, twice if you have the patience. You will thank me later ;)

PS: Oh and make sure you keep any soft and stone-proof weapon / accessory you get/ buy. You will need it soon after....

ValiantKnight
06-25-2006, 08:15 PM
I'm getting used to the sphere grid, and assume theres no way I can mess it up, which had made me pause before about gaining sphere levels early.

Ohh, no. You can mess up horribly on the Sphere Grid. You'll know how when you DO mess up.

Kinda confused by this.
My assumption that you just go around the pre laid out grid, filling in everything, and thats it...

Is there some factor that messes it up, as in a limited amount of key spheres, or activating a wrong sphere or ?

ie.. can "messing up" the sphere grid be fixed with getting more spehre levels....

I have the NTSC version I believe.. since I bought it a year or two ago at Gamestop.

Eiko Guy
06-25-2006, 10:52 PM
you wont mess up the spheregrid you'll mess up on the sphere grid by going the wrong way it happened to me i went the wrong way on lulu's sphere grid i finally beat the first seymour on my third playthrough then i beat him on the other games with sparechange

ValiantKnight
06-26-2006, 03:38 PM
ah so its just misdirection/backtracking.

Tavrobel
06-26-2006, 04:36 PM
ah so its just misdirection/backtracking.

If you don't fight enough, you could run out of Spheres.
If you go backwards, that's not a terrible thing. But it does waste time.
If you accidentally unlock something, you could be going on the wrong path.
If you attempt to teach Lulu Ultima before the end of the game, you might be wasting your time.
If you try to backtrack with Yuna enough to teach her Auto-Life, oyy geez do you need help.
And other stuff.

As I said, you'll know it when you mess up. Otherwise, just keep doing what you are doing.

Dell
06-26-2006, 05:11 PM
Lulu can learn Ultima faster with the help of Kimahri. You only need about 4 Level 4 Key Sphere, Return Sphere and Black Magic Sphere.
But that's when you get the sphere (You are still in Mi'ihen, right?)
You have to continue to the story to get more better item/sphere/weapon/armor.

I definitely agree with you, Tidus is way too annoying!