PDA

View Full Version : Do you rely on the game ratings?

Tifa's Real Lover(really
06-23-2006, 12:22 AM
i dont it because i think there needs to be another rating that mixes in with T and M, i cant rent metal gear solid cuase of "too much violence":mad: its not like a game is gonna change my life or nothing

what do you guys think?

Rostum
06-23-2006, 12:31 AM
It was never really an issue when I was younger, as the violent games weren't very violent. But I believe now, that there are a lot of games kids shouldn't be playing, especially since violent games have become more popular and realistic.

Edit: When I mean 'more popular', I mean a lot of game developers are making more violence, to please the masses, and it's getting to the point that there's no limits.

~SapphireStar~
06-23-2006, 01:16 AM
They are there for a reason, but most parents do ignore the games ratings and buy 18 rated games for their 13 year old child. The abuse my boyfriend has gotten from parents because he has to ask fo ID is madness, he is doing his job and what the law askes him to do, yet they think its ridulous to do so!

Ive never had a problem buying any violent games, but I was IDed for the Kill Bill collection after I had just turned 21, that pissed me off. But its their job.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
06-23-2006, 01:29 AM
its not like a video game is gonna change anybodys lives

~SapphireStar~
06-23-2006, 01:33 AM
Well yes they can because some kids do commit acts after playing games and use them as scapegoats. There was a boy who killed his friend in America to get his copy of Manhunt when it was getting banned and 2 youths used GTA as an excuse when they ran someone over in a car they stole.

The games may have affected the children, or maybe they just used the games so the games companies would get the blame. It happens with movies also.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
06-23-2006, 01:37 AM
ok maybe i said it in the wrong terms, but your parents should know how they kids behave like/reaction

like mortal kombat for example, its not like a kid should go out ripping other kids spines?

~SapphireStar~
06-23-2006, 01:43 AM
Because a fighting game isnt as realistic to them as GTA or say True Crime or The Getaway. Because RPGs and fighting games are set in fictional and out of place areas, kids dont really pay any attention. What scares me is that my 11 year old cousin knows all the Vice City cheats then Tekken ones and would rather beat a civilian or protistute to death then kick some guys arse in a battle arena.

Parents shoudl be looking at the ratings games have, but they dont. Because they see computer games as a source of fun and entertainment and no harm will come to their youngster playing the game. Now with movies, Ive noticed parents being more strict with ratings. Perhaps parents see movies as more of a threat to a childs behavior then a game because games can be colourful and no real people are involved, unlike films.

ljkkjlcm9
06-23-2006, 01:45 AM
violent games do not make kids more violent. In fact it's more often used as an outlet to calm the kid down. Youth violence has steadily DECREASED as games have gotten more violent.

Though the following article is a bit, i guess biased, all the charts and actual hard data is completely true: http://www.gamerevolution.com/oldsite/articles/violence/violence.htm

and as for movies being watched over more, no not true. SOME parents enforce it, others don't care. Mine even encouraged me when I was younger to sneak into movies I wanted to see. If the parent does their job right, there will be no problems. The problem is parents suck and they need excuses.

THE jackel

~SapphireStar~
06-23-2006, 01:47 AM
violent games do not make kids more violent.
Im not saying they do make them violent, but in the past games have been blamed for childrens behaviour and the children use the games as scapegoats and it becomes a media frenzy.

ljkkjlcm9
06-23-2006, 01:51 AM
violent games do not make kids more violent.
Im not saying they do make them violent, but in the past games have been blamed for childrens behaviour and the children use the games as scapegoats and it becomes a media frenzy.
by even bringing it up you're helping to enlarge that media frenzy, if you know as well as I do that it isn't true, then don't bring it up, simple

THE JACKEL

~SapphireStar~
06-23-2006, 01:52 AM
Im just giving my opinion on the matter. I brought it up to answer a question. Im not adding to anything. Its up to any of the posters reading the posts if they decide to act upon it and believe all games are bad and breed violence.

Vermachtnis
06-23-2006, 01:55 AM
I personally ruin the arguement that violent games make people violent. I know I personally play longer than the average gamer. Given that RPGs out number the "violent" ones 5:1, I am one of the most relaxed and docile person you'd probably ever meet.

I agree that how much you pay attention to the Ratings depends on the child and the people that use it as Scapegoats really piss me off to no end.

Zeromus_X
06-23-2006, 02:15 AM
M games are marked that way for a reason. T and below games are really just things with maybe minor language and somebody fighting with someone. :) So there's definitely a major gap between M games and the rest.

And yeah, the games get used as a scapegoat sometimes. Although I don't know why any responsible parent would allow their child to play a game like GTA in the first place. xD Honestly...

Tifa's Real Lover(really
06-23-2006, 02:19 AM
M games are marked that way for a reason. T and below games are really just things with maybe minor language and somebody fighting with someone. :) So there's definitely a major gap between M games and the rest.
why did halo get an M rating? the contents in that game plays just like a T rated game, except maybe the langauge is a little rougher....

Zeromus_X
06-23-2006, 02:22 AM
Not all the ratings are accurate of course. (Forgive me for my generalizing, but that's what I've noticed of all the games I've played of those ratings.)

DeathKnight
06-23-2006, 03:20 AM
I don't. But ALOT of people rely on what other people say 'bout the games which I think is pathetic to the 559th power.

kidney / theif
06-23-2006, 05:51 AM
I don't.
They're just a games.

KentaRawr!
06-23-2006, 06:16 AM
I do, simply because I know that my Mom does. She would never ever let me play a very violent game. :p

Rostum
06-23-2006, 06:57 AM
I believe the ratings do serve a good purpose, and it's up to the parents to decide what their children should see or play.

Edit: Also, I'm going to have to discredit that article someone posted above. All he's doing is assuming the drop in crime rates (the facts) with the sales of video games (his opinion).

ljkkjlcm9
06-23-2006, 05:06 PM
no see the fact is the crime rates for youth have dropped even with the more violent games out there, so the violent games do not make kids more violent, it's not that hard to figure out.

THE JACKEL

AdVenT
06-23-2006, 05:09 PM
The rating system is a load of bull. I've been playin the GTA games for a couple of years now and they haven't affected me in any way.
*Runs outside and steals a car*

Venom
06-23-2006, 06:25 PM
I play them for myself before I make any kind of judgement.

MecaKane
06-23-2006, 06:41 PM
Just get your parents to buy it for you, cripes!
I don't recall having any trouble with ratings when I was younger, but they weren't that important then.

Erdrick Holmes
06-23-2006, 07:12 PM
Just get your parents to buy it for you, cripes!

Kid- Mommy, can you buy this game for me

Mom- What's in it?

Kid- Random killing people, running over hookers with cars, and smurfing girls and kill them afterwards

Mom- Why sure, Roddy.

Ratings are just a mark on the box to me. A game with gore and crap bothers me much as a game where a blue hedgehog grabs gold rings and fights evil robots.

Roto13
06-23-2006, 07:19 PM
I think they could be a very useful tool for parents, if parents weren't such tools themselves.

fantasyjunkie
06-23-2006, 07:31 PM
No, I do not. Sometimes the ratings are just dumb. For example Dead or Alive 4 is rated mature and I haven't found anything in it that is unhealthy for my daughter. I play every game my daughter does so I know what is ok for her and what isn't. She plays San Andreas but I had a talk with her on what is real and what isn't. She hasn't turned to a life of crime yet :D

XxSephirothxX
06-23-2006, 07:46 PM
If I was a parent, I probably would. I enjoy the GTA games, but I wouldn't want a young child playing them. Once I knew my kid was mature enough to play a videogame and not think it's okay to go on a murderous rampage, I probably would have no problem with it.

However, since I'm not a parent, I could care less about the rating system. Hopefully Penny Arcade's help with the new ad campaign will raise awareness about the ESRB, though; I don't like the idea of the government taking over and enforcing their own, likely stricter, system.

MageLuingil
06-23-2006, 07:52 PM
I don't rely on the rating system, since it really depends on the game; there are some M-rated games I enjoy, and other's I wouldn't want to touch. However, the rating system is there for a reason, and people should at least recognize that. It bothers me to no end that some parents ignore the rating system on games altogether.

In my opinion, the ratings serve as a decent benchmark to give a general idea of what the game will be like. Naturally, the game shouldn't be judged by the rating alone, but I don't think the rating should be ignored altogether either.

YTDN
06-23-2006, 08:03 PM
http://www.zestuff.com/images/d_111.gif

Dreddz
06-23-2006, 08:03 PM
EDIT - No.

Roto13
06-23-2006, 08:56 PM
I dont take them very seriously, but I do look at reviews just to see if the game I intend to buy is worth my money. I have bought games that have had terrible reviews, and still loved.
I'm pretty sure we're talking about content ratings, like the ESRB.

JaytodaP
06-24-2006, 04:05 AM
Im 13. My parents dont give a crap ubout what i play. Why? because im not a friggin idiot. My dad laughs when i play GTA. I feel no need to run around stealing cars and killing people. My mom cares more for some reason. Ive played worse games than Blitz the League but she told me I could only play it at my dads house which doesnt make sense because im still playing it. I snuck God of War past her though;)