PDA

View Full Version : Ok, I'm having a few problems...

Vincent, Thunder God
06-23-2006, 11:10 PM
Hi, I've got a few questions again. My other thread here is getting old, so I've added a new one.

1. First of all, is there a way to check a sig's size if it has text and an image? I've had it edited a few times, but I've not been told who edited it, and when I fixed it the first time I was pretty sure I had the right size.

2. Secondly, when I tried to suscribe to a thread I just made, a screen showed up saying I wasn't allowed to post or do anything in that thread, but it also specified another username than mine. I've had similar problems like this that were fixed when I logged out and logged in again, but when I did so the same problem was there. I'm not sure if it encompasses posting too, because I haven't posted in it yet (I just made it).

crono_logical
06-23-2006, 11:37 PM
1. You can use the rather nifty MeasureIt (https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/539/) extension for Mozilla Firefox (http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/) to measure exactly what you see on screen :p Oh wait, you're using Internet Explorer 6 that has some sort of Yahoo addon crap on - I guess now's your chance to upgrade to a superior web browser at the same time :p

2. I have no idea at the moment. Rather, I'm too busy/lazy to investigate right now since I'm working on other bits of the forums :p Could well be your current lousy browser messing up your cookies - goodness knows what that Yahoo module thing is doing to your browsing.

Vincent, Thunder God
06-24-2006, 12:07 AM
1. Oh wait, you're using Internet Explorer 6 that has some sort of Yahoo addon crap on - I guess now's your chance to upgrade to a superior web browser at the same time

Actually I'm using Rogers Yahoo's browser at the moment. I have no choice in the matter because it's my mother's PC, and she refuses to use Mozilla, even though I agree with you completely about which is better...

Thanks for trying to help anyway.

EDIT: I've found that I have the same problem (the second one) with all threads now, can someone else please help me?

Levian
06-24-2006, 02:35 AM
1. A line of text is like 13-14 pixels high. Not more than 15 anyway. You can see this by checking pixel size of a small image (a smilie works nice) and compare to the text. :p

Vincent, Thunder God
06-24-2006, 03:58 AM
1. A line of text is like 13-14 pixels high. Not more than 15 anyway. You can see this by checking pixel size of a small image (a smilie works nice) and compare to the text. :p

Thanks Levian. Meat Puppet helped me out with the pixels as well, but thanks to both of you. I think I'll just use text for my sig from now on. That should be good for question 1.

Now my suscribitions are not working at all (question 2 from before), even from my user controls. If anyone has any tips I would be very thankful.

starseeker
06-24-2006, 10:51 AM
Get rid of Yahoo. It would probably help.

crono_logical
06-24-2006, 11:42 AM
That browser uses Internet Explorer internally - it's just been repackaged, much the same as AOL does to their customers.

Have you tried logging off, clearing out both your cookies and cache completely (using Internet Explorer's method, since it's the same browser internally anyway), then logging back in?

As for your parents refusing to install Mozilla, well, there's still a solution to get around that :p Get Portable Firefox (http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/browsers/portable_firefox) and extract that to some hidden folder of your choice, and use it from there - no installation technically needed. It's designed originally for putting on a USB key so you can use your same settings and the browser on any machine, including ones you can't install stuff on, but it works just as well in this instance too :p

Vincent, Thunder God
06-26-2006, 02:00 AM
That browser uses Internet Explorer internally - it's just been repackaged, much the same as AOL does to their customers.

Have you tried logging off, clearing out both your cookies and cache completely (using Internet Explorer's method, since it's the same browser internally anyway), then logging back in?

As for your parents refusing to install Mozilla, well, there's still a solution to get around that :p Get Portable Firefox (http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/browsers/portable_firefox) and extract that to some hidden folder of your choice, and use it from there - no installation technically needed. It's designed originally for putting on a USB key so you can use your same settings and the browser on any machine, including ones you can't install stuff on, but it works just as well in this instance too :p

Yes, I've tried logging off and back on after deleting cookies, no luck still. If it's any help, the username I keep getting with this problem is: $bbuserinfo. It's affecting all subscriptions, even my user control panel, and now it's even affecting editing my usernotes. I'm fed up with it.

As for hiding files, I've been doing that far too much lately. As harmless as it is, I have a strong conscience, so I really don't want to have to do that anymore.

Samuraid
06-26-2006, 06:09 AM
Ah yes, that error screen. That does need to be fixed.