PDA

View Full Version : Help running Myst on the XP or 2002

Vincent, Thunder God
06-24-2006, 01:29 AM
This is a long shot, but because everybody is so kind and helpful here, maybe I'll get some help :D ...

I'm trying to run the Myst 10th Anniversary Edition on my XP, and it's not even showing up in my disk drive, even though other games are working OK, so it can't be a disk drive thing.

I also tried running it on my 2002, but on there it says it can't run on a 2002, only on a 95. I thought maybe the XP could run it on it's 95 compatability, but it's not even showing up as I load it.

Can someone help me for either system please?

Rostum
06-24-2006, 02:10 AM
Hey I just bought the whole Myst collection recently, too. =) I had no problems with running the original Myst, but I did for Riven (I had to uninstall quicktime 7 and install the quicktime that comes with the games).

The only Myst game I've had to run in compatability mode is Riven, nothing else. And I'm pretty sure you won't get it to run on Windows 2000.

Have you actually installed it? Or you can't even do get to that point?

(BTW. I highly recommend you get Myst IV, Uru and Myst V, they are excellent additions to the series)

Edit: If you look here (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/487102941/m/397102941) and here (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/487102941/m/868102941), you'll see some information from Ubisoft regarding the 10th anniversery release. If that doesn't help maybe try asking on those forums, they helped me to get Riven to run.

Vincent, Thunder God
06-24-2006, 02:26 AM
Have you actually installed it? Or you can't even do get to that point?

On my 2000, an error message shows up that says it's only compatable on the 95.

On my XP, it's not even launching, much less showing up in my actual D Drive!!!

It's really wierd, considering it's supposed to be a re-release, and it's also supposed to run on the XP, not the 95. I also forgot to mention that Riven and Exile came in a bundle with Myst, and both of them have the same problems...

But thanks a lot for your help otherwise. I'll look in the forums, or, if I'm really desperate, I guess I'll have to join.

EDIT: I ended up finding a patch to make Myst run on my Windows 2002. Still no idea what the hell is wrong with my XP, but at least it works on my 2002. Thanks again Omecle, one of your links had another link to a Dutch site, which in turn had the patch!

Rostum
06-24-2006, 03:44 AM
I've never heard of Windows 2002.

And yes, they were released on DVD in a pack, but they are still old games. You really should consider installing the Quicktime that comes on the DVD's of the games when you install them.

You weren't very clear, but when you put in the DVD into your drive, does it autorun or allow you to install? If not, I suspect something's wrong with your drive.

All three of them work perfectly on Windows XP, without patches. Seriously go install Quicktime 6.3 I think it is, that comes on the DVDs, it'll help.

Vincent, Thunder God
06-24-2006, 03:55 AM
I've never heard of Windows 2002.

And yes, they were released on DVD in a pack, but they are still old games. You really should consider installing the Quicktime that comes on the DVD's of the games when you install them.

You weren't very clear, but when you put in the DVD into your drive, does it autorun or allow you to install? If not, I suspect something's wrong with your drive.

All three of them work perfectly on Windows XP, without patches. Seriously go install Quicktime 6.3 I think it is, that comes on the DVDs, it'll help.

I do have Quicktime already, the newest version, but maybe it's like one of your links said, that you need to reinstall the old version to make it work (apparently the Quicktime designers suck at retro-compatability).

As I said from the beginning, the disk does not show up under my D directory on the XP, so there is no way to install anything. It's not my disk drive, because other CD-ROMS are working fine.

Anyway, I'm happy with it just working on the 2002. Something is strange with my XP, even though, as you say, it should work. Thank you again. I'm happy to play it on the 2002.

Rostum
06-24-2006, 04:17 AM
Well you can't run Myst or Riven with Quicktime 7. But for some reason I was able to run Exile with it. That's why I said to install Quicktime 6.3 that comes with the games.

And it is very strange that they won't even run the install when you put them in. There must be something weird going on with your XP (do you have SP2?). I'm sure if you posted in the help forum, someone could help you fix that problem.

Also, I'm pretty sure these games were not built for Windows NT, 2000, and 2002. But if they work well on it, then there's no problems. =) Enjoy the games! They are brilliant, especially Riven.

I defenately suggest Myst IV: Revelations. Such a beautiful game. =)

Samuraid
06-24-2006, 08:32 PM
Myst and Riven use older (Quicktime 2/3) codecs that only come with said quicktime versions. Thus, the best solution is to remove all versions of quicktime you have installed, then install the old version that comes with the Myst games, then install the latest quicktime 7 on top of it. Things should then work correctly for both old and new programs using quicktime.

And as Omecle said, Myst 5/Uru/Myst 4 are completely amazing, as are the previous Myst games in their own right.