PDA

View Full Version : niks FFVI low level, natural magic challenge

Pages : [1] 2

nik0tine
06-24-2006, 03:38 AM
I guess it's time for another challenge, since my FFVII challenge was kind of a flop. It just wasn't all that fun. However, this challenge is turning out to be a blast. I started yesterday and I finished both Terra and Lockes scenarios, and now I am tackling Sabins.

This challenge is summed up best by its name. Low level, natural magic. In other words, I have to stay at the lowest possible level, and I cannot use Espers to learn any magic. This means that for the entire game the only magic that I will have access to is cure, ice, fire, and antdot.

It's already proving to be quite challenging. I had to reset while fighting Vargas once because he managed to kill Terra too early and I wasn't about to waste a precious Phoenix down. Ultros was not easy at all. He beat me a good 8-10 times before I finally finished him off. Tunnel Armor managed to beat me once too. That's alot of challenge for just 2 and a half hours of gameplay.

I just boarded the Phantom Train, and I don't anticipate it being too difficult. I'm just not looking forward to getting so much gil on the veldt. That's going to take some time.

Also, it appears as if I missed a few items and rages along the way. I hope that none of them are so important that it's going to halt my progress indefinetly.

Anyhow, wish me luck guys. I'll keep this thread updated regularily. Also, for any of you who want to try this, I am using this guide (http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/snes/file/final_fantasy_iii_ll_natural.txt) to help me if I get stuck, and to point out the necessary items that I need to get as I progress through the game.

lovehurts
06-24-2006, 04:12 AM
I guess it's time for another challenge, since my FFVII challenge was kind of a flop. It just wasn't all that fun. However, this challenge is turning out to be a blast. I started yesterday and I finished both Terra and Lockes scenarios, and now I am tackling Sabins.

This challenge is summed up best by its name. Low level, natural magic. In other words, I have to stay at the lowest possible level, and I cannot use Espers to learn any magic. This means that for the entire game the only magic that I will have access to is cure, ice, fire, and antdot.

It's already proving to be quite challenging. I had to reset while fighting Vargas once because he managed to kill Terra too early and I wasn't about to waste a precious Phoenix down. Ultros was not easy at all. He beat me a good 8-10 times before I finally finished him off. Tunnel Armor managed to beat me once too. That's alot of challenge for just 2 and a half hours of gameplay.

I just boarded the Phantom Train, and I don't anticipate it being too difficult. I'm just not looking forward to getting so much gil on the veldt. That's going to take some time.

Also, it appears as if I missed a few items and rages along the way. I hope that none of them are so important that it's going to halt my progress indefinetly.

Anyhow, wish me luck guys. I'll keep this thread updated regularily. Also, for any of you who want to try this, I am using this guide (http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/snes/file/final_fantasy_iii_ll_natural.txt) to help me if I get stuck, and to point out the necessary items that I need to get as I progress through the game.
You're awesome for trying this! However I am playing the game now and it is hella hard enough as it is with bolt 2 ice 2 and fire 2...good luck man good luck.:)

Zeromus_X
06-24-2006, 04:14 AM
Good luck nik! I was awaiting your next masochistic challenge! :p

ljkkjlcm9
06-24-2006, 07:28 AM
I've done natural magic before, but I hate running so i never do the low level crap in any game. I NEVER run from battle, ever. I just hate doing it. But when I did my natural magic I didn't go out of my way to level either. In fact I didn't end up using any magic casters in my party for the most part, and didn't do things like Fanatic's tower.

Either way my favorite was beating the game with the 3 WoR required characters, I still plan on going through and beating it with different combinations of people, like with relm but not strago. One thing I did notice after beating it with the 3, then beating it with all of em, those 3 are in most of the little cutscenes, just an interesting little thing.

THE JACKEL

abrojtm
06-24-2006, 08:27 AM
How low is low level? Run from every random battle? Does that mean you will skip a bunch of characters in the WoR in order to avoid exp?

Zeromus_X
06-24-2006, 08:29 AM
I imagine that that'll be alot easier when he gets the Moogle Charm.

Qurange
06-24-2006, 09:20 AM
Actually, it'll get easier--eventually, Terra and Celes learn much more powerful magic.

Just, at much higher levels. They finish out the 1-2-3 progressions, and I forget what Terra has, but I know that Celes gets Meteor.

Mirage
06-24-2006, 12:46 PM
If low-level means sub-20, Terra won't even learn Fire 2.
I've had her learn Fire 1, 2 and 3, Pearl, Flare, Ultima and Merton. Oh, maybe Life 2 aswell, not sure about that.

Slothy
06-24-2006, 12:58 PM
Low level means staying at the lowest level possible. It's possible to have most of your characters below level 10 at the end of the game. You don't get experience from boss fights, so you just have to run from every battle. There is some forced experience in some parts, but if you can force Gau to gain all of it then you can leap him off when you get new characters and his levels don't count towards the party average that determines their level.

Good luck with this. I'm currently trying a low level game whenever I have the time. I'm just at the Veldt in Sabin's scenario right now still getting items and GP, and hopefully a couple more Green Beret's before I'm done. It's pretty slow going since I'd like to stock up on 99 pheonix downs before leaving. I think I only have about 26 right now :rolleyes2.

BustaMo
06-24-2006, 01:16 PM
You're awesome for trying this! However I am playing the game now and it is hella hard enough as it is with bolt 2 ice 2 and fire 2...good luck man good luck.
Same here. I am leveling up to go get Locke in the Caves of Treasures in the World of Ruin. It's a great game, but got its tough points at times. Good luck with your challenge.

Dignified Pauper
06-24-2006, 02:08 PM
someday you're going to commit suicide and i'm going to cry.

Cruise Control
06-24-2006, 03:10 PM
antdot

Ultima Shadow
06-24-2006, 05:53 PM
Are you allowed to use dammaging items?

nik0tine
06-24-2006, 08:31 PM
I'm allowed to use damaging items, just so long as they don't cast spells that I don't already have. The only exception is if I find them in a treasure chest. Anything I find in a chest is fair game, but I can't go and buy a bunch of magical rods and throw them at will.

Zeromus_X
06-25-2006, 12:41 AM
nik...this sounds...nearly impossible. I mean, at least there were certain strategies in FFVIII/IX for those challenges, but this just seems downright...ugh.

I'll still root for you though! :cat:

nik0tine
06-25-2006, 01:05 AM
It'll be hard, but I'm certain that it's possible. Gau's rages should help, and so should Stragos lore. Also, never underestimate the importance of good equipment.

I passed Phantom train. I didn't feel like coming up with an actual strategy for him, so I used a phoenix down. I figure that I'm not going to get many opportunitys like this, so I might as well take them while I can. Rizopaz beat me once too, but he wasn't really difficult at all. So far I've run into at least some trouble with every single boss with the exception of Whelk.

Right now I'm gathering gil in the veldt. It seems that in every challenge you are forced to spend alot of time doing something very tedious and very boring. My goal is 40,000+ gil, and right now I only have 18,000. A few more hours should net me that 40K though.

Edit: The guide I'm using advises me to get three white capes. I already have one. How necessary do you think this is? I'm at 36,000 gil right now, and my goal is 40,000. 2 white capes costs 10,000 and that takes a long time to get. Should I actually buy the two white capes? How long will it be until I have the airship, because if I can hold out on buying these things I will.

Slothy
06-25-2006, 12:07 PM
Hmm, since I'm no farther than you right now I'm not sure. I checked both the other low level faws, and one mentions that you should try and get them and the other doesn't mention them at all. They'd likely be useful since they give an extra 10% magic evade, but whether or not they're necessary until later on I can't say. They certainly can't hurt though, and it never hurts to play it safe. Though I do feel your pain when it comes to raising money on the Veldt right now.

Ultima Shadow
06-25-2006, 02:24 PM
Super Balls will be a life-saver in the world of ruin.

nik0tine
06-25-2006, 07:56 PM
What are super balls and where can I get them?

Well, I've finally finished gathering money on the Veldt. I bought six or so Phoenix Downs so now I have twelve. I think that should do for now. I also did buy three white capes. I just bought all three at different times so it didn't 'feel' like I was really going to have to earn another 15,000 gp. Anyhow, I'm off to finish Sabins Scenario right now.

Ultima Shadow
06-25-2006, 08:27 PM
Super Balls are dammaging items that can be bought in a shop in the world of ruins. They are not cheap, though. Anyways... the dammage they cause is, from my experience, pretty random. It always seems to be more than 1500 dammage but less than 4000, though.

nik0tine
06-25-2006, 08:51 PM
Oh, alright. Thanks then.

Right now I'm battling in Narshe over Tritoch, but I can't seem to make it to Kefka without getting caught by one of the soldiers, which means I have to gain exp. I need a map of Narshe (specifically the area where the battle over the Esper occurs) so I can figure out how to evade the soldiers. Does anyone know where I might be able to find a map like that?

Slothy
06-25-2006, 09:40 PM
Gamefaqs doesn't like linking so I can't just give you a link to it, but if you look at the faqs for FFIII under SNES, the first low level walkthrough by rjpageuk and Crinkles has a rough map done up and an explanation of how to avoid them. It's not as great as something like a screenshot showing the path would be, but it's better than nothing. Just go to section 4.2 of the faq.

nik0tine
06-25-2006, 11:25 PM
Thanks Vivi22. Unfortunately that guide hasn't helped much yet. That 'map' makes no sense to me. :p This looks completely impossible right now and I have absolutely no idea what to do. I can't even make half way across the map without getting into a battle, which means I can't even see my first 'safe zone', let alone get to it. Both guides tell me go down and slightly left until I reach it, but I'm fairly certain that it's impossible if you do that. If anyone has done a low level FFVI challenge before I could certainly use your help right about now. :p

ljkkjlcm9
06-25-2006, 11:54 PM
Thanks Vivi22. Unfortunately that guide hasn't helped much yet. That 'map' makes no sense to me. :p This looks completely impossible right now and I have absolutely no idea what to do. I can't even make half way across the map without getting into a battle, which means I can't even see my first 'safe zone', let alone get to it. Both guides tell me go down and slightly left until I reach it, but I'm fairly certain that it's impossible if you do that. If anyone has done a low level FFVI challenge before I could certainly use your help right about now. :p
if you're using a rom, you could send the save state, either ZSNES or SNES9x cause I have both emulators. I can take a look at it cause I know I've gotten through that only fighting kefka, just been awhile

THE JACKEL

Slothy
06-26-2006, 03:35 AM
I'll try to get around to finishing up Sabin's scenario tomorrow if I can, so if nothing else perhaps I'll be able to give it a go and help you out a bit assuming you don't figure it out first. I kind of overdid it on item buying so that and not playing very often lately slowed me down. I laughed a bit when you said you have 12 pheonix downs. I think I have around 80 right now :lol:.

Dell
06-26-2006, 04:31 PM
Maybe I'm too late but good luck, nik!

nik0tine
06-27-2006, 02:55 AM
Well, I finally did it. To hell with guides. Most guides I consulted were wrong. I found my own 'safe spot'. It worked, but I had to do everything perfectly in order to reach Kefka without bannon getting killed. Whats more is that the other two parties caused me to restart more than a few times because they would engage in a battle just as I was about to reach Kefka, which would then force my primary party to stop right besides Rider. I seriously had about a 1/2 second window of opportunity to reach Kefka before Bannon got captured. Anyhow, I'm going to continue with the challenge now.

-N-
06-27-2006, 11:28 PM
This challenge sounds awesome. I'll be following you. I'll say now that I intend on trying the challenge as well, but I'll probably end up being the old geezer I am and get drunk instead. :p

Anyways, information on Super Balls. It's a magical attack, and it targets randomly and hits multiple times. It always does multiples of 256 as damage each time, but the multiple is chosen either randomly or on some obscure stat formula I don't know. It's also unblockable and ignores all defense.

Sephex
06-28-2006, 12:52 AM
Man, this sounds pretty tough so far. I hope you can make it all the way!

Ultima Shadow
06-28-2006, 11:41 AM
I remember accidently running into the rider after making it trough all the other soldiers and stuff, twice, in my low-level only. That pissed me off. >_<

Hmmm... you won't be able to MP-kill Atma Weapon. And that is, most likely, going to cause some SERIOUS trouble... later on.

Oh, my precious Atma (Ultima) Weapon! :love:

Edit: Unless you use any of Gau's rages with Rasp, that is. But in that case you would only have one, uncontrollable, attacker.

But that's not all. Atma will probably be nothing compared to the sky battle before the floating island, though. Trust me... THAT is going to be a TRUE pain! So you better be well-prepared for that part.

ff_sweden
06-30-2006, 09:26 AM
But what to do when you meet the Mag Roaders after Magitek Factory?
you canīt run from them

nik0tine
06-30-2006, 10:05 AM
That's probably one of the few times when I have no choice but to gain exp. I believe if I somehow make Gau get all of the Exp. I can throw him off on the Veldt so no new incoming characters end up with levels gained.

Right now I'm just leaving the Veldt again. I was trying to get 4 rages, but I only could get two (angui form and Hades gigas). I'm finally headed back to Zozo, after I buy a few Phoenix Downs with the ridiculous amount of money I now have. (over 60,000 now)

gigames08
06-30-2006, 10:16 AM
... This is quite possibly THE most deranged challenge I've ever seen anyone do. I mean... geez. How the hell are you going to beat Kefka at the end, you crazy, crazy person?

I'd say good luck, but it's probably not going to help much...

ff_sweden
06-30-2006, 10:29 AM
i just wonder, how do you get money. Steal mithril claw from Rhinotaur and sell?

nik0tine
06-30-2006, 05:02 PM
I get money by fighting on the Veldt. You gain no exp there so that's the place I go to gain GP. It's a pain in the ass.

Arwald
06-30-2006, 05:44 PM
What lvl do you think you will have before the end?

ff_sweden
06-30-2006, 07:48 PM
your best attack, is it Scratch with Gau?
anyway good luck

Ultima Shadow
06-30-2006, 09:53 PM
How the hell are you going to beat Kefka at the end, you crazy, crazy person?Kefka won't be his biggest problem, really. Paladin Sheild + other kick-ass evasion armour= 1 almost untouchable character. It's more about evasion than defense. Super Ball spammage= decent dammage. And then, you'll need Dragon Boots (Jump Command) to survive Kefka's "Goner".

The REAL battle will be the sky battle before the floating island.

I'm NOT saying that Kefka will be a pushover, though. Kefka will, in fact, probably be like... the 3th hardest battle in the game. But even so... the sky battle probably be much, much worse.

ff_sweden
07-01-2006, 10:01 AM
So, did you beat Dadaluma?:This fight is fairly simple. Just keep hacking away at Dadaluma, and use Celes for healing when necessary. Eventually Dadaluma will keep calling Iron Fists to help him out, you can kill them quickly with Edgar's Flash or Auto Crossbow. When Dadaluma is nearly dead he'll use a flurry of potions in a row followed by a Safe spell to reduce the physical damage he takes. He'll also start throwing weapons at you for heavy damage. Heal constantly, use Edgar's Tools, Sabin's Blitzes, and eventually you'll win. From a guide

NeoCracker
07-01-2006, 02:29 PM
That's probably one of the few times when I have no choice but to gain exp. I believe if I somehow make Gau get all of the Exp. I can throw him off on the Veldt so no new incoming characters end up with levels gained.

Right now I'm just leaving the Veldt again. I was trying to get 4 rages, but I only could get two (angui form and Hades gigas). I'm finally headed back to Zozo, after I buy a few Phoenix Downs with the ridiculous amount of money I now have. (over 60,000 now)
Only problem is Setzer will gain the levels, as you can't drop off Gau by that point. So are you planning on not using Setzer for a while? I can't think of a time your forced to use him until WOR.

ff_sweden
07-02-2006, 09:58 PM
HELLO is this thread dead? come on Nik0tine tell us where you are now

nik0tine
07-02-2006, 11:51 PM
Hey hey, have patience. I can't play everyday, man. :p

I would have played yesterday, but Neel being here was kind of more important.

ff_sweden
07-02-2006, 11:52 PM
i see, sorry my fault, forgive me

nik0tine
07-08-2006, 03:37 PM
Mild update:

I come back home from Trinidad and Tobago tomorrow so I should be playing again soon.

Zeromus_X
07-08-2006, 07:20 PM
Probably a no-brainer, but have you gotten the Stray Cat rage for Gau? Besides being a kitty-cat, it has that 'Cat Scratch' attack which does alot of damage for early in the game (and of course at low levels.) I have no clue if there's some formula for the damage or something, but it does usually ~700- 1200 damage when I was playing through the WoB on a normal file.*

*No, I'm not doing this challenge with all of you insane people.

lovehurts
07-08-2006, 09:30 PM
Good luck but I dont think that youll be able to make it too far with a low level because

Half the reason you train is to raise your health points so that you can take hits from stronger opponents and keep fighting

And the other half isnt health points but its magic points which youll need too.

Also your attack power at a low level is far far from possible to beat the game....

sorry , but I dont think you can do it I dont think you will make it too far.

Zeromus_X
07-08-2006, 09:32 PM
Well, that is why its a challenge.

However lovehurts, in FFVI there are still attacks that do alot of damage regardless. Many attacks that break through defence (Throw, Tools) and Gau's Rages which can offer power not normally available for the time. And not to mention MBlock raising uber-equipment.

Although it'd be awesome to see a CES challenge with these same requirements...:p

I have faith in nik, even though I too think its pretty insane. Still, he freaking beat Omega Weapon in that one FFVIII challenge, jesus.

lovehurts
07-08-2006, 09:44 PM
Well, that is why its a challenge.

However lovehurts, in FFVI there are still attacks that do alot of damage regardless. Many attacks that break through defence (Throw, Tools) and Gau's Rages which can offer power not normally available for the time. And not to mention MBlock raising uber-equipment.

Although it'd be awesome to see a CES challenge with these same requirements...:p

I have faith in nik, even though I too think its pretty insane. Still, he freaking beat Omega Weapon in that one FFVIII challenge, jesus.

Hmmm. Well I wish him luck.:)

Good luck nik.

NeoCracker
07-09-2006, 05:21 AM
He does all sorts of challanges like this, including the level one Ozma Challange, the low level no junction challange, some ff VII Chalange. He's a challange whore. While these things don't interest me to do, I'm rooting for him. Its quite fun to keep up on his progress.

nik0tine
07-11-2006, 10:52 PM
I'm home now and I've just beaten Dadalama. I gained exp for some reason, but it was a very small amount and nobody leveled. It shouldn't make a difference and if it does it will be the difference of a single level so I don't really care. This challenge will still be hard as hell.

Love Hurts: Trust me when I say that I will finish this challenge.

Zeromus_X
07-11-2006, 10:59 PM
It could be worse. You could turn it into a CES challenge with these requirements. xD Jeez, that'd be horrible.

nik0tine
07-12-2006, 12:16 AM
That actually sounds fun. I think I'll leave a spare save right at the beginning of the WoR so I can try that another time.

Right now, though, I hav to deal with the Opera house. I cannot seem to figure out how to get passed the rats. It's really quite difficult so if someone could help me out I'd appreciate it. I could be stuck on this part alone for quite some time.

Zeromus_X
07-12-2006, 12:21 AM
If you have Gau's Stray Cat Rage you can use that for the Cat Scratch attack, but if that's not working (because you die too quickly?), then I really don't know. You can't summon Espers, right? Hm...

nik0tine
07-12-2006, 01:06 AM
No, no. I have to avoid the battles with the rats. If I touch a rat I get into a battle and I can't run so I'm forced to gain exp. I cab't even make it past the first rat. I'm completely at a loss here.

Edit: I don't think this is possible. There is no pattern to the way the rats move.

NeoCracker
07-12-2006, 01:08 AM
I don't think you can avoid all the rats, I never found a way to do it. You may have to suck it up and take the XP. I'm only able to dodge one of the last rats, but I havn't played in so long I can't tell you how.

lovehurts
07-12-2006, 06:46 AM
This is a very interesting challenge. Im suprised youve made it that far.
Good luck again.:)

If it helps you to do better in the challenge I still say I think the odds are too greatly against you in your challenge.

nik0tine
07-12-2006, 07:29 PM
I don't think you can avoid all the rats, I never found a way to do it. You may have to suck it up and take the XP. I'm only able to dodge one of the last rats, but I havn't played in so long I can't tell you how.According to Necronopticous, as well as another guide, all of the rats can be avoided. It'd be one thing if I was using an emulator, but I'm not. (And good thing, because my computer crashed the other day and now it won't even start!)

If it helps you to do better in the challenge I still say I think the odds are too greatly against you in your challenge.o (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=75168) rly? (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=78007)

Slothy
07-12-2006, 09:57 PM
I'm at the rats as well, and like you, not using an emulator. I know on at least one play through a few years back I got through with only one fight, but it is somewhat random. And of course now that I need to get through with one fight I can't seem to do it. To help yourself out though, let the timer run out once. After that you'll be outside the opera and you can save. After it runs out once you don't have to go through the entire opera scene again. Also, if you can't seem to get past the first rat, leave the room and go back. His position will reset which is especially helpful if he wanders far away. Aside from that though it'll likely take a lot of luck and resets. You may have to suck it up and gain some experience though. Anywhere from 1-3 battles wouldn't normally lead to a level gain there if I'm not mistaken. If you can get by with 3 or less I say take it.

nik0tine
07-12-2006, 10:47 PM
Well, I passed the rats. I decided to take a little experience. I got by with only one battle, and no one leveled up. I don't think that 120 exp is really going to make a difference in the long run.

I've collected all of the treasure in the magitech research facility and I'm busy getting owned by Shiva and Ifrit. They attack fast and hard, so it's difficult to survive. I'll check gamefaqs to see if they have any useful strategies that I may be missing.

Edit: Shiva and Ifrit are down but I just got owned by Number 024.

ljkkjlcm9
07-12-2006, 11:59 PM
I HATE the whole thing on the track in the cart, even at normal levels. I feel bad for you, that part is just annoying to say the least

THE JACKEL

Ultima Shadow
07-13-2006, 12:00 AM
Yay, go Nik! :cool:

If I remember correctly, it's not too long until you get to the Crane!

...and I bet the Crane will be one damn tough battle.

Zeromus_X
07-13-2006, 12:03 AM
nik, what characters are you using? I'd suggest Cat Scratch again, but I'm sure you get the picture. (I really hope you got that Rage.)

Then there's Edgar's Tools (I assume you picked up the Chainsaw in Zozo), and if I'm not mistaken, that's the boss that changes his elemental property, right? Well, does he cast spells too? I guess I'd suggest Runic for that.

This probably won't really help you, but meh. :cat:

Ultima Shadow
07-13-2006, 12:06 AM
nik, what characters are you using? I'd suggest Cat Scratch again, but I'm sure you get the picture. (I really hope you got that Rage.)

Then there's Edgar's Tools (I assume you picked up the Chainsaw in Zozo), and if I'm not mistaken, that's the boss that changes his elemental property, right? Well, does he cast spells too? I guess I'd suggest Runic for that.

This probably won't really help you, but meh. :cat:Some of that guy's most dangerous spells can't be runic'ed, though, if I remember correctly. Such as his quake-attack and Aqua Rake. Atleast I THINK he had those, but I'm not sure if I'm thinking about the right boss. It's been a while...

Zeromus_X
07-13-2006, 12:19 AM
You might be thinking of the boss on top of the Fanatic's Tower.

nik0tine
07-13-2006, 03:50 AM
No, he does have those spells, but he doesnt use them all that often. I beat him on my second try.

I HATE the whole thing on the track in the cart, even at normal levels. I feel bad for you, that part is just annoying to say the least

THE JACKAL
No kidding. It was annoying, but I managed to pass it with the right strategy. I equipped Gau with a pair of running shoes and a wall ring. If the first battle was just one single enemy I kept everyone alive. After that I killed everyone except Gau and I just sat there while the enemies casted fire/ice/2 on me. It reflected back on them and eventually would kill them. While I was waiting I would use potions and tonics on Gau. At the fifth battle I had to worry about reviving both characters, which was a pain in the ass. However, on my last try I got lucky. I used a phoenix down on Edgar after I there was only 1 enemy left, adn then he attacked gau only. I then used a potion on Edgar and waited for everyones bar to fill. Then I immeidately used a phoenix down and a potion on Locke. Edgar and Locke gained one level, unfortunately. I finished the battle and had to deal with the boss (This was what, the 8th time I'd fought him?)

He was a pain in the ass, but I managed to perservere. The strategies on gamefaqs seemed subpar (or impossible with the way I had everything set up) so I came up with my own. Gau still had the running shoes and wall ring equipped, so he and locke were my non stop healers. Edgar used flash twice and then I attacked one of his arms. When one arm was dead I focused on the body (I found out that I shouldnt kill off both arms the ahrd way:p) when one arm revived I would chainsaw the other arm and kill it, then chainsaw the body again. When that arm came back to life I'd repeat with another flash or two, and from then on the battle was pretty much a repeat of that strategy.

And yes, the cranes are giving me problems. I'm not sure how I'm going to beat them yet, but that corny song that we all know and love is playing in the background right now and it is encouraging me to continue on!

..and so perservere I shall.

Zeromus_X
07-13-2006, 03:53 AM
What strategies have you thought of for the cranes? You can't use rods, so...and do you plan on doing anything with Setzer? (Like, is he useful at all?)

lovehurts
07-13-2006, 04:17 AM
I don't think you can avoid all the rats, I never found a way to do it. You may have to suck it up and take the XP. I'm only able to dodge one of the last rats, but I havn't played in so long I can't tell you how.According to Necronopticous, as well as another guide, all of the rats can be avoided. It'd be one thing if I was using an emulator, but I'm not. (And good thing, because my computer crashed the other day and now it won't even start!)

If it helps you to do better in the challenge I still say I think the odds are too greatly against you in your challenge.o (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=75168) rly? (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=78007)

If I say you cant I know you'll have a little more of an edge on this. If Im going to show an interest in this at all . I might as well not blow the challenge off and just pretend itll be easy...wish you luck as if you are only going to need my consent and a little bit of luck wishing...this challenge will be hard .... I see your challenge and I dont think you can do it. Prove me wrong. :mad2:

ps: I would be impressed if you pull it off. It's "funner" for me to be honest with you towards the challenge...good luck but you CANT do it. :p

I bet you are so ready to do it now....too bad you cant!

NeoCracker
07-13-2006, 05:09 AM
If Setzers H-Bomb counts as fire, the only move that comes to mind of his that would help is the diamond one. I don't think the Chocobos hit the cranes, but I'm not very sure on that. With low levels I'm not sure if he'll be effective at al right now. I'd think you took reflect ring of Gua, as it wouldn't help much only hurt if they bounced off and powered themselves up.

Ultima Shadow
07-13-2006, 01:59 PM
I bet you are so ready to do it now....too bad you cant!As long as he can make it past the sky battle, he can beat this challenge hands down. A low-level challenge is 100% possible, so Nik's should be possible as well. Sure, it IS a big handicap to not being able to use the awesome magics like Life3 and Ultima. And Siren is awesome in the annoying sky battle etc. But even so, I'm sure it's completely possible without them. :cool:

If Setzers H-Bomb counts as fire, the only move that comes to mind of his that would help is the diamond one. I don't think the Chocobos hit the cranes, but I'm not very sure on that. With low levels I'm not sure if he'll be effective at al right now. I'd think you took reflect ring of Gua, as it wouldn't help much only hurt if they bounced off and powered themselves up.I'm pretty sure the H-Bomb is non-elemental. But it's hard to rely too much on the slots, as they are a bit random after all.

Zeromus_X
07-13-2006, 07:26 PM
Actually nik, if you're not using magic (well, any magic to be of use), then are you allowing Echo Screen/Joker Doom?

nik0tine
07-13-2006, 08:35 PM
Actually nik, if you're not using magic (well, any magic to be of use), then are you allowing Echo Screen/Joker Doom?I don't know this game like I do some of ther later FF games. What is Echo Screen/Joker Doom?

NeoCracker
07-13-2006, 08:50 PM
I bet you are so ready to do it now....too bad you cant!As long as he can make it past the sky battle, he can beat this challenge hands down. A low-level challenge is 100% possible, so Nik's should be possible as well. Sure, it IS a big handicap to not being able to use the awesome magics like Life3 and Ultima. And Siren is awesome in the annoying sky battle etc. But even so, I'm sure it's completely possible without them. :cool:

If Setzers H-Bomb counts as fire, the only move that comes to mind of his that would help is the diamond one. I don't think the Chocobos hit the cranes, but I'm not very sure on that. With low levels I'm not sure if he'll be effective at al right now. I'd think you took reflect ring of Gua, as it wouldn't help much only hurt if they bounced off and powered themselves up.I'm pretty sure the H-Bomb is non-elemental. But it's hard to rely too much on the slots, as they are a bit random after all.
True, but otherwise Setzer won't be worth much at all this fight. Though it would probably better to use him as a healer. But when attacking if you know how to use slots well, which I don't, you could probably hit H-Bomb fairly easily.

Zeromus_X
07-13-2006, 09:14 PM
Actually nik, if you're not using magic (well, any magic to be of use), then are you allowing Echo Screen/Joker Doom?I don't know this game like I do some of ther later FF games. What is Echo Screen/Joker Doom?

It has to do with manipulating the RNG (random number generator) that determines what you get for slots. (Slots isn't exactly random in this way, per se.) Different animations can effect the RNG, like Echo Screen's smoke effect. It can help you get three sevens for Setzer's Joker Doom (the insta-death thing.)

I'm not exactly sure how to explain it, so use this link, with info by the programmer who discovered it:

http://masterzed.cavesofnarshe.com/GameDocs/slotfaq.txt

Hopefully you can understand it. I dunno, some might consider this cheating, but I've read guides of low-level games which have used it. I guess it's up to you. But knowing you, I'd imagine you'd want to do things the non-cheap way. :cat:

Ultima Shadow
07-13-2006, 09:47 PM
That's basically like Vanish-Doom, isn't it? So why don't those low-level guides just suggest that instead?

In any case, both are cheap and would probably just ruin the whole purpose of the challenge.

nik0tine
07-13-2006, 11:18 PM
Yeah, that sounds too cheap to me. Lucky 7's is supposed to be "lucky" for a reason. I'll only use it if there is absolutely no other way to progress and there is seldom only one single way to progress through a challenge.

ljkkjlcm9
07-13-2006, 11:19 PM
That's basically like Vanish-Doom, isn't it? So why don't those low-level guides just suggest that instead?

In any case, both are cheap and would probably just ruin the whole purpose of the challenge.
the difference between that and Vanish-Doom is you have to learn magic to do Vanish Doom

I personally have never used either thing and find them both to be stupid

THE JACKEL

Zeromus_X
07-13-2006, 11:56 PM
The same guide I read also suggested Vanish-Doom, so I guess they don't have morals. xD

Slothy
07-14-2006, 03:20 AM
What strategies have you thought of for the cranes? You can't use rods, so...and do you plan on doing anything with Setzer? (Like, is he useful at all?)

Every guide I've looked at says you can't use rods you bought, however any that you find are fair game. Hopefully you waited and got the Thunder rod in Figaro Cave on the second time through (with Celes and Locke) instead of the Tincture when you first went through. One of those bad boys is weak against thunder magic (or at least doesn't heal when you use it) and that rod can do major damage to it. If you missed the rod though or grabbed the tincture, then you're going to have to tough it out. If you have it, then have Gau use Pteradon in a battle before the cranes so he won't be killed by Magnitude 8. I'd also recommend using Stray Cat rage since it has no elemental attacks that would work against you. Aside from that, Locke should definitely heal (he's not much good attacking afterall), and you can decide based on your party what you want other members to do. Setzer might be better at healing, but I'm not sure how much damage his slots will actually do since I'm not there yet. Might be best to have him heal and Edgar chainsaw like there's no tomorrow.

nik0tine
07-14-2006, 06:40 AM
I do have the thunder rod, but I am heading the advice of my guide and I am saving it for the IAF. I just woke up from a rather long ass nap, and I'll be firing my game up again soon.

Edit: aahh! One crane down!! Finally.. Now I can focus the rest of my efforts on just one crane. I think I might finally have this fight in the bag. Thank you Gau.

Double Edit: Yeah, I rock.

Triple Edit: Alright, so I've been on the Veldt for quite some time now trying to encounter a chicken lip (and hopefully an aspik, but I've pretty much given up on ever encountering one of those things)
Is there any way to manipulate what monsters show up more frequently on the Veldt?

I also managed to steal 5 Gaia gears. They should come in handy later, plus they are better than any equipment I have right now anyway.

nik0tine
07-15-2006, 01:24 AM
*Double Posts*

What did I call my challenge again? Low level natural magic? Yeah, thats right, nowhere in that title does it say I can't summon Espers.

Although the guide on gamefaqs restricts it I am not going to restrict myself from summoning Espers so long as I do not learn any Magic. The reason I am doing this is so that I can avoid getting exp. from those bomb-like things in the battle with flame eater. Casting Siren will silence, and obviously, if one is silenced, one cannot blow themselves to smithereens and net me exp.

I will only use Espers, however, if it will prevent me from gaining exp. Espers aren't "technically" magic so I'm not "technically" breaking any rules. Besides, whats the better alternative? Use an Esper for one fight and not level up or follow the rules strictly and level up? I'm definetly going with the former.

Zeromus_X
07-15-2006, 01:30 AM
I don't see anything wrong with it. :p I was wondering if you'd allow that though.

I know there is a way to manipulate the encounter rate, but I don't know how...I'll probably research that until/unless someone else tells you.

Mirage
07-15-2006, 02:59 AM
isn't the encounter rate slightly higher in forests?

nik0tine
07-15-2006, 03:09 AM
There are no forests on the Veldt.

Also, FlameEater is proving to be a very formidable opponent. That is all.

NeoCracker
07-15-2006, 05:28 AM
Aside from Aqua raking him to death and the Ice rod you find, I can't think of much to do against him. Though if your avoiding hitting the bombs altogether, you could try equiping Strago with Ice Rod and keeping everyone else Healed.

nik0tine
07-15-2006, 09:23 PM
The problem with that strategy is that every time you attack him he counter attacks. Usually it's just fire or fire 2 which I can block with wall rings, but occasionally he counters with fireball which wipes my whole party out.

NeoCracker
07-15-2006, 09:55 PM
Get as many Items to increase magic defense as possible then, though I don't think there's many at all yet.

Aside from that I got nothing.

Zeromus_X
07-16-2006, 06:21 AM
nik, the Algorithm faq by Terii Senshi on Gamefaqs might help you encounter certain Veldt monsters. (http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/psx/game/562865.html)

I don't know if it will, but it's definitely worth a read. The 'Veldt' section has all the info.

nik0tine
07-17-2006, 12:39 AM
I'm still having trouble with flame eater. His fireball attack completely wipes out my party. I've only ever survived it once (strago survived with 9 health.) I need help with this.

Edit: Is this even possible?

lovehurts
07-17-2006, 01:22 AM
I'm still having trouble with flame eater. His fireball attack completely wipes out my party. I've only ever survived it once (strago survived with 9 health.) I need help with this.

DOnt give up please nik. YOu survived the attack so that its good actually. Hmmm. DOnt give up. YOu can do this. Ok ,do you have ice weapons. Ummmm what do you have equipted please share. I dont know how much I can help but I will help you as much as I can nik. YOu have impressed me with your progress.

Being a fire-elemental monster makes it incredibly weak to ice attacks, so equip Strago with an Ice Rod and Locke and Terra with any Blizzard swords you have, and just attack Flame Eater physically YOu wont have anything strong enough to break his bomblet attacks. I would use any espers on him that you have. Mind all of your espers in the items and skills that you have. YOu can learn ice without gaining many levels if I remember right....

nik0tine
07-17-2006, 01:36 AM

DOnt give up please nik. YOu survived the attack so that its good actually. Is there any way to get reflect. If you could just get reflect. Hmmm. DOnt give up. YOu can do this. Ok ,do you have ice weapons. Ummmm what do you have equipted please share. I dont know how much I can help but I will help you as much as I can nik. YOu have impressed me with your progress.Haha, don't worry. I will not be giving this challenge up.

I have Reflect Rings on everyone. However, beacuse of the wall rings I cannot damage Flame eater very well because he reflects his Fire/2 spells back at him and heals himself so I'm forced to wait until he runs out of MP. That is a problem in and of itself because I don't have rasp or osmose and the longer I wait the more likely it is that Flame Eater will use Fireball which is pretty much a death sentance.

I'm not sure what to do, but right now I'm formulating a strategy using my only barrier ring. What I plan on doing is this: Equip Terra with the barrier ring before I encounter Flame Eater. I will then get into a battle immediately before flame eater and I'll allow Terra to get killed. Everyone else will run. When the battle is over I will revive her with a Phoenix down. I will not, however heal her. This means that as soon as the battle with Flame Eater begins Shell will be casted on Terra. After that I'll heal her. I will use Locke to cast Siren so the bombs can't explode. I'll kill all of them but one, though. (I'll get exp but I doubt it will be enough to level me up at this point) If I keep both Terra and Strago at maximum HP for the entire battle I should be able to survive fireball and stay alive long enough to revive Locke and Strago if he dies as well. I'll have to be able to do this repeatedly without warning though, so it's going to be tough. Possible, but tough.

I tried this earlier with Strago and it ensured that he would survive the fireball attack. I'm using Terra, however, because Strago already has a slim chance of surviving.

lovehurts
07-17-2006, 01:39 AM

DOnt give up please nik. YOu survived the attack so that its good actually. Is there any way to get reflect. If you could just get reflect. Hmmm. DOnt give up. YOu can do this. Ok ,do you have ice weapons. Ummmm what do you have equipted please share. I dont know how much I can help but I will help you as much as I can nik. YOu have impressed me with your progress.Haha, don't worry. I will not be giving this challenge up.

I have Reflect Rings on everyone. However, beacuse of the wall rings I cannot damage Flame eater very well because he reflects his Fire/2 spells back at him and heals himself so I'm forced to wait until he runs out of MP. That is a problem in and of itself because I don't have rasp or osmose and the longer I wait the more likely it is that Flame Eater will use Fireball which is pretty much a death sentance.

I'm not sure what to do, but right now I'm formulating a strategy using my only barrier ring. What I plan on doing is this: Equip Terra with the barrier ring before I encounter Flame Eater. I will then get into a battle immediately before flame eater and I'll allow Terra to get killed. Everyone else will run. When the battle is over I will revive her with a Phoenix down. I will not, however heal her. This means that as soon as the battle with Flame Eater begins Shell will be casted on Terra. After that I'll heal her. I will use Locke to cast Siren so the bombs can't explode. I'll kill all of them but one, though. (I'll get exp but I doubt it will be enough to level me up at this point) If I keep both Terra and Strago at maximum HP for the entire battle I should be able to survive fireball and stay alive long enough to revive Locke and Strago if he dies as well. I'll have to be able to do this repeatedly without warning though, so it's going to be tough. Possible, but tough.

I tried this earlier with Strago and it ensured that he would survive the fireball attack. I'm using Terra, however, because Strago already has a slim chance of surviving.

That's brillant. This challenge is for geniuses.Good luck. Do you have any espers to call on? Why cant you get terra to transform and attack him the attack would be efficent.

Zeromus_X
07-17-2006, 02:08 AM
Terra needs Magic Points to use Morph, which I don't think he has too many of to be of use.

nik0tine
07-17-2006, 02:11 AM
Well, if I was planning on depleting his HP I could do that. However, I don't do enough damage and the only magic that Terra knows is fire, cure, and antdot. I could use the ice rod I found in a chest but that, according to a guide, is only enough to deplete half of his HP. If he wasn't constantly healing himself with Fire2 it wouldn't be such a big deal, but I can't do enough damage to him before he uses another fire 2 spell.

Edit:I can morph because I can get those magic points on the Veldt. The problem is doing enough damage before I morph and use the ice rod. I think it might be more effective to let him deplete his MP. Does anyone know how much MP a fire 2 spell consumes? What about his fireball attack?

Zeromus_X
07-17-2006, 02:18 AM
Fire 2 costs 20 MP. I don't know about Fireball, however. (Being a monster attack.) Is that the Meteo-esque attack?

Flame Eater:
HP: 8,400
MP: 480 (...)

lovehurts
07-17-2006, 02:18 AM
Well, if I was planning on depleting his HP I could do that. However, I don't do enough damage and the only magic that Terra knows is fire, cure, and antdot. I could use the ice rod I found in a chest but that, according to a guide, is only enough to deplete half of his HP. If he wasn't constantly healing himself with Fire2 it wouldn't be such a big deal, but I can't do enough damage to him before he uses another fire 2 spell.

Edit:I can morph because I can get those magic points on the Veldt. The problem is doing enough damage before I morph and use the ice rod. I think it might be more effective to let him deplete his MP. Does anyone know how much MP a fire 2 spell consumes? What about his fireball attack?

If you could use reflect on him it could work much easier but I dont think that you can.:(

You are thinking like a survyvor . You cant hurt him badly so let him wear himself out of mp 1st then attack. Thats very smart. But his attack kills you...hmmmm. This is tuff.

nik0tine
07-17-2006, 03:10 AM
Fire 2 costs 20 MP. I don't know about Fireball, however. (Being a monster attack.) Is that the Meteo-esque attack?Crap, thats alot of MP to just 'wait out'.

Will a white cape reduce the potency of the fireball attack? If so, I'll give strago a white cape instead of a cure ring, which should ensure that two people survive the fireball attack instead of just one. Although, my barrier ring strategy seems to be working. The problem is that I do not know when fierball is going to occur so I must keep Terra at max HP at all times and I must keep her turn free. If her turn is not free and he casts fireball it's pretty much insta death for me. The balloons will finish her off.

Cruise Control
07-17-2006, 03:30 AM
Not the potency, but it gives a 5% chance of evading it.

Ultima Shadow
07-18-2006, 05:46 PM
It really sucks that there's no Fire-absorbing equipment up to this point in the game. But is there really only 1 singel barrier ring? I thought you could buy those... but that, too, may only be later on.

Anyways... what's your most dammaging attacks other than the Ice Rod? I was just thinking if it would be possible to take him out in one singel sweep and have something more "offensive" than wall rings equiped. But then again... can all your characters survive Fire 2?

Edit: Wait a sec... do you have Zoneseeker? I mean... since you'll already use Siren to prevent any EXP, using another Esper as well can't be that bad, eh? :p

Of course, it would be better if you don't have to do that, I guess.

nik0tine
07-18-2006, 08:51 PM
It really sucks that there's no Fire-absorbing equipment up to this point in the game. But is there really only 1 singel barrier ring? I thought you could buy those... but that, too, may only be later on.You can buy them, but only before you get the airship. I can't get any now, unfortunately.

My most damaging attack other than ice rod is Stragos aqua rake, which does like 200 something damage.

I'm going to play again soon. It sucks not playing on an emulator because I have to go through that stupid "Flames be GONE" scene every single time. :p

lovehurts
07-18-2006, 11:31 PM
It really sucks that there's no Fire-absorbing equipment up to this point in the game. But is there really only 1 singel barrier ring? I thought you could buy those... but that, too, may only be later on.You can buy them, but only before you get the airship. I can't get any now, unfortunately.

My most damaging attack other than ice rod is Stragos aqua rake, which does like 200 something damage.

I'm going to play again soon. It sucks not playing on an emulator because I have to go through that stupid "Flames be GONE" scene every single time. :p

I didnt win the 1st time either I had to train. The flames be gone scene does get old.:p

nik0tine
07-19-2006, 09:17 PM
ugh.. this is so ridiculous. I just fought him again. My barrier ring strategy does work, but it's not all that reliable. Does it only work once per battle? If that's the case then that means Terra cannot die at all during this fight. Also, what happens when Shell expires? I think I need a new strategy.

Edit: Dragoon Boots!!!!

Ultima Shadow
07-19-2006, 10:04 PM
If Flame Eater got 8000 HP, and Aqua Rake only does 200... then I guess it would be pretty much impossible to "take him out in a singel sweep". >_<

I'm not sure how the Shell ring works, but its effect SHOULD be activated whenever Terra's HP runs low. But then again... maybe not. Maybe it really only works once.

What's even worse is that I can guarantee that the sky battle (Air Force) still will be much, much worse.

Yeah, not really a helpful post. xD But then again... I guess it's pretty much impossible to think of something clever unless you're doing the challenge yourself. But I'm counting on you, Nik! You CAN do it! ;)

Zeromus_X
07-19-2006, 10:08 PM
There has to be a way. You've found ways before.

Now what are you Dragoon-ing up? :cat:

nik0tine
07-20-2006, 02:33 AM
Well, I figure if everyone is in the air than fireball isn't going to kill anyone. The problem is ensuring that someone is in the air all the time. I just got back from doing alot of crap so now I am debating as to whether or not I should keep Terra with the Barrier ring to ensure that I can survive fireball if everyone is not in the air, or to give her dragoon boots as well and just make sure someone is in the air at all times.

ljkkjlcm9
07-20-2006, 02:41 AM
can't you give her a barrier ring and dragon boots as your two relics?

THE JACKEL

nik0tine
07-20-2006, 04:21 AM
I AM WINNING!!!

Edit: HE IS OUT OF MP!!!!!!

Double Edit: I win. It was all about those dragoon boots, baby.
However, Terra gained a level. I'm not sure whether I should restart and do it again or to just keep her at level 8.

lovehurts
07-20-2006, 04:46 AM
I AM WINNING!!!

Edit: HE IS OUT OF MP!!!!!!

Double Edit: I win. It was all about those dragoon boots, baby.
However, Terra gained a level. I'm not sure whether I should restart and do it again or to just keep her at level 8..

YES !!! HE DID IT!!! YAH!!!!!:choc2: :choc2: :choc2: :tongue: :tongue: :) :) :) :) :D :D :D :D :D I dont think you should try it again...if you do save that in a back up save.

Zeromus_X
07-20-2006, 05:12 AM
Way to go nik! And dear goodness, no, don't restart, it's only one level. :cat:

Yay!!

Edit: Out of curiousity...how long did it take you to win? :cat:

nik0tine
07-20-2006, 11:45 AM
It took me a few days. Probably like 30 or so tries, possibly more. It was difficult to try more than a few attempts at a time because i had to go through that god aweful "Flames be GONE!" scene.

Varius41
07-20-2006, 04:40 PM
I stumbled upon the thread (being a hardcore FF6 fan and all!) and I thought maybe I could help bring some inspiration/advice/strategies to the scene to help. Just make sure to keep us updated.

And yeah, the air battle getting on the the continent will more than likely send you spiraling into a dismal state of unhappiness. Sorry.

I'll start looking some stuff up for ya tho :P
This challenge sounds so fun I'm going to have to try it once my SNES works again :( or if I can get a gamepad from somewhere maybe ill try a rom... bu playing this game Emulized is definately a SIN!

good luck!

Zeromus_X
07-20-2006, 07:32 PM
I actually meant how long the battle that you won took.

nik0tine
07-20-2006, 09:43 PM
I'll start looking some stuff up for ya tho :P
This challenge sounds so fun I'm going to have to try it once my SNES works again or if I can get a gamepad from somewhere maybe ill try a rom... bu playing this game Emulized is definately a SIN!
Not if you have this. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000ALFCI/sr=8-1/qid=1153428145/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-2912344-6954341?ie=UTF8)

I actually meant how long the battle that you won took.I'm not sure exactly. It probably took around 10 minutes.

Ultima Shadow
07-20-2006, 10:53 PM
Yay for you, Nik! And did you kill any more bombs than necessary? I mean... if you did it all correctly, then Terra will level up no matter how many times you try. So it could just be that she got some unecessary EXP from some earlier battle etc. In any case, 1 level for 1 character hardly matters at all so it's nothing to worry about, really.

lovehurts
07-20-2006, 11:50 PM
I want his autograph! NIK ! NIK! NIK!NIK ! NIK! NIK!NIK ! NIK! NIK!NIK ! NIK! NIK!NIK ! NIK! NIK!NIK ! NIK! NIK!NIK ! NIK! NIK!NIK ! NIK! NIK!NIK ! NIK! NIK!NIK ! NIK! NIK!NIK ! NIK! NIK!NIK ! NIK! NIK!NIK ! NIK! NIK!NIK ! NIK! NIK!NIK ! NIK! NIK!

nik0tine
07-22-2006, 03:05 AM
Alright so the IAF is even more ridiculous than flame eater. It also kills me that I have to gain levels, but whatever. I'll be happy when this is over. I haven't even made it to Ultros yet! :p

Ultima Shadow
07-22-2006, 10:57 PM
Well, it IS the toughest battle, after all (guaranteed). But even so, there has to be a way. How's it going so far? What strats are you using at the moment and what's killing you all the time (Absolute ZERO, I guess?) etc.

nik0tine
07-23-2006, 12:29 AM
The only problem is absolute zero. Right now I have everyone with running shoes and Terra uses Siren as soon as the battle starts. I have Gau rage Aspik, but I'm considering taking them out normally and have him rage chicken lip. Everyone has gaia geears equipped so he will be constantly healing me. I have strago healing or jumping when he can.

Ultima Shadow
07-23-2006, 12:36 PM
Yeah, thought so. After all, it's an instant-kill move that's being used far too often. Especially in the very begining of a battle. >_<

Just curious... do you have that Rhino-something Rage with Gau that constantly casts Life 3?

nik0tine
07-23-2006, 05:08 PM
Actually, I think I do have that rage. Isn't it called Rhinotaur? Perhaps I should try using that.

Slothy
07-23-2006, 08:07 PM
Rhinox actually (like the Beast Wars character). I've never used that one before, but since other rages don't use Gau's MP to cast spells, wouldn't you just end up with the same "not enough MP" message the monster gets, or will the spell actually work for Gau? I suppose the easiest way to find out is to try.

Ultima Shadow
07-23-2006, 09:12 PM
Rhinox actually (like the Beast Wars character). I've never used that one before, but since other rages don't use Gau's MP to cast spells, wouldn't you just end up with the same "not enough MP" message the monster gets, or will the spell actually work for Gau? I suppose the easiest way to find out is to try.It works. They can't cast it because they lack MP. Since Gau doesn't waste any MP when casting spells during a rage, he CAN cast it.

I don't think I used it during the first part of the sky battle, but if I remember correctly, I did use it during the battle after Ultros. I think the Rhinox absorbs thunder-based attacks. And if i remember correctly, that boss use a lot of thunder-based attacks. So by having Gau in Rhinox-rage, he become pretty much unbeatable as he absorbed most of the attacks and constantly casted Life 3 on himself.

nik0tine
07-24-2006, 02:59 AM
Well, I made it all the way to Air Force today and then got slaughtered before I even got one move off. I have no idea when I'll be done with this. It seems like it could take weeks.

lovehurts
07-24-2006, 03:04 AM
Well, I made it all the way to Air Force today and then got slaughtered before I even got one move off. I have no idea when I'll be done with this. It seems like it could take weeks.

YOu can do it!!! When this is over you deserve to get laid! YOU CAN DO THIS NIK!!! YOU CAN DO IT!:D

nik0tine
07-24-2006, 03:12 AM

YOu can do it!!! When this is over you deserve to get laid! YOU CAN DO THIS NIK!!! YOU CAN DO IT!:D
I hate to break it to you, but beating a Final Fantasy challenge is not going to get me any poon tang.

Ultima Shadow
07-25-2006, 04:56 PM
Got any further in the battle? Reached Ultros?

Varius41
07-26-2006, 05:31 AM
I hate to break it to you, but beating a Final Fantasy challenge is not going to get me any poon tang.

lol... not any you want, anyways!

nik0tine
07-26-2006, 09:48 PM
I almost made it to Ultros again yesterday but I died on the 6th fight. This is nearly impossible.

Ultima Shadow
07-26-2006, 10:20 PM
Well, atleast there won't be any worse battles than this one (guaranteed). Once you beat air force, the worst part of the challenge is over and done with. Atma may be be pretty tough as you can't rasp, but hardly anything compared to this. And once you're in the world of ruin, you can buy Super Balls etc. If you can beat the air force, you can and will beat this entire challenge.

nik0tine
07-26-2006, 10:49 PM
I just can't wait until this portion of the challenge is finished.

lovehurts
07-28-2006, 12:27 AM
I just can't wait until this portion of the challenge is finished. Keep fighting COWBOY! You can do it! :D

nik0tine
07-28-2006, 04:35 AM
Oh yeah, I should let you all know that progress is going to slow because I am now back in school.

bipper
07-28-2006, 05:25 PM

I think he was offering? :p

nik0tine
07-31-2006, 10:26 PM
I think this is fucking ridiculous. I've only ever made it to Ultros once. This is nearly impossible. I know it can be done and I'll do it eventually but Jesus. This isn't even fun anymore. Shads, how long did this take you? Also, were you using an emulator? This would be easy as hell if I could save state my way through this but I can't.

Zeromus_X
08-01-2006, 02:06 AM
What are your best rages at the moment? I still recommend Stray Cat, unless Rhinox is important above all else.

nik0tine
08-01-2006, 06:28 AM
I'm using Aspik to fight these fuckers, since it can use Giga Volt which completely decimates these guys. (One hit kill for a single target attack)

lovehurts
08-01-2006, 09:03 PM
Play naked and you will win.

nik0tine
08-01-2006, 10:29 PM
Bipper knoes!! :p

lovehurts
08-01-2006, 10:33 PM
Bipper knoes!! :p

:p

I bet he does. He probabally plays while the dogs and cats are in the room at the same time.

Good luck Nikotine. You are very resourcefull and wise. You can do this challenge.:)

Bipper Im just playing with yah head.

Ultima Shadow
08-07-2006, 03:34 PM
I think this is smurfing ridiculous. I've only ever made it to Ultros once. This is nearly impossible. I know it can be done and I'll do it eventually but Jesus. This isn't even fun anymore. Shads, how long did this take you? Also, were you using an emulator? This would be easy as hell if I could save state my way through this but I can't.

Sorry for being so late with replying, but I went to Portugal for a week so I haven't been able to use the internet for a while.

Anyways... I didn't use an emulator, but unlike you I could learn any spell as the "no magic" rule wasn't in the low-level challenge I did. Now, magic isn't of all that much use in the first few battles anyways (it's NOT useless, though), but it helps against Ultros and the battle after Ultros. So basically, once I mannaged to get past those annoying Absolute Zero-spammers it was much easier for me than it probably is for you.

If I remember correctly, I won the first or second time I got to Ultros. And during the battle after Ultros, I only won thanks to Gau and his Rhinox rage, as all the other characters died and Gau just kept getting healed by all the thunder-elemental attacks.

But enough about that... because as you already know, the real problem are those Absolute Zero-spammers... and it's really pretty much all about luck when you fight those **** bitches. You'll have to strike before they do and use Siren before they use Absolute Zero. If you have any speed-boosting equipment, I'd recomend equiping it to your fastest character and have Siren equiped to that character as well. But even then, you won't be able to strike first every time. So you'll just have to pray that they won't use Absolute Zero as often as they usually do. Seriously... it's all about being lucky during this part, and then don't mess up once you reach Ultros.

You've made it to Ultros before, so you can do it again. Try to be as prepared as possible for the Ultros battle, though, so you won't die once you finally reach Ultros again. Do you have any Thunder Rods etc? (probably not, I guess >_< )

Cruise Control ^_^
08-07-2006, 03:44 PM
I doubt it, because that would cast magic he doesn't have acess to. And I thought he was against that.

nik0tine
08-07-2006, 10:21 PM
Sorry, but I haven't played in a few days. School makes me a very tired person.

To answer your question, I have two thunder rods, but I can only use one of them, (The one I picked up in that cave, to be precise) and I am saving it for the battle after Ultros.

Also, you said that gau was absorbing all of the thunder related attacks. Is that beecause the Rhinox rage absorbs thunder?

Varius41
08-08-2006, 12:21 AM
Yes, when Gau rages to rhinox he also (should) gets the thunder elemental absorption.

Ghost can cast Bolt 2, if that helps at all... Don't think it will do enough damage to be able to take out multiple enemies though, so giga volt is probably still your best bet. Also, I dunno if the fact that he casts it in a rage is against the "no magic you dont have access to" thingy.

nik0tine
08-08-2006, 01:18 AM
It's not. The monster "naturally" has that magic. When gau rages as that monster I am not casting magic, he just 'naturally' has it. Terra can use cure because she naturally has it, so Gau can use whatever magic he can via rages, because those monsters naturally have it.

I think I'm going to try this again in a few minutes.

Slothy
08-08-2006, 02:37 PM
Just to comment on Varius41's post; Ghost casts fire, whereas the rage Hazer casts Bolt 2. I don't know, it might be useful in the Ultros battle. I've used it before in some boss battles and it's been one of the more damaging attacks I have when he actually uses the spell. It might be worth trying if you really have a hard time with Ultros.

nik0tine
08-08-2006, 08:31 PM
Ultros is not giving me a hard time at all. In fact, he's proven to be pretty darn easy the one time I fought him. Equip everyone with Gaia Gears and have gau rage something that casts quake. It hurts both chupon and ultros while healing your party to full every time. Combine that with Zoneseek and you pretty much can't lose.

Ultima Shadow
08-09-2006, 05:07 PM
So you made it to Ultros again and beat him this time? What happened next (in the battle after Ultros)?

nik0tine
08-10-2006, 11:52 PM
No, unfortunately I didn't make it to Ultros again. :p

nik0tine
08-21-2006, 11:02 PM
God damnit, I made it to Ultros again today and died over a stupid mistake. I'm not happy.

Zeromus_X
08-22-2006, 02:11 AM
Just think...once this is over, nothing will ever be this mindlessly frustrating ever again. :cat:

nik0tine
08-22-2006, 10:14 PM
I'm fighting Ultros right now!

Edit: Holy /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif that was a close one. Ultros used tentacle and then chupon used fireball immediately. Terra and Locke both died and Gau had 41 hp and was in a rage status. To make things worse, he was in float status from a previous battle which meant that his quake spell wouldn't heal him. Gau uses quake anyway, and lo and behold! I won!

Now, if I can just beat that smurfing air force... I'm going to go with the Rhinotaur rage, I think. Your strategy had better not fail me, ultima shadow! :p

1) Okay. The battle just started and Locke got off the first attack. He's summoning ZoneSeek. My next two moves should be terra morphing and throwing the thunder rod, while gau rages rhinox.

2) I've gotten off those attacks and air force has taken 6500 damage from the thunder rod. Gau has also casted life 3 on himself. Does anyone know if this smurfer absorbs fire? if not, I'm throwing my fire rod at him too.

3) Terras turn comes around again. She throws a fire rod and...

HOLY JESUS I FUCKING WIN! GOD DAMNIT I WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!! WIN WIN WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lovehurts
08-22-2006, 10:18 PM
YOu have to be more beast than ultroS!!!

nik0tine
08-22-2006, 10:39 PM
YOu have to be more beast than ultroS!!!

Might want to check my last post. (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showpost.php?p=1847931&postcount=150)

Tavrobel
08-22-2006, 10:57 PM
nik, you're so goddamn sexy.

nik0tine
08-22-2006, 11:03 PM
nik, you're so goddamn sexy.
:D

I'm so damn happy about this victory. So happy, in fact, that it doesn't really bother me that I have to make it through the floating continent without encountering a single Ninja. Twice.

lovehurts
08-22-2006, 11:09 PM
WOW !!!! YOu really should have been laid by now for this. Im sure some chicks that play ff-6 would be willing...;)

I am impressed Nik, I am ...

YOu are very resourcefull and have taken a basically no win situation and turned it into a winning victory.

Zeromus_X
08-23-2006, 12:07 AM
Will you marry me Congratulations! :) :cat:

Moon Rabbits
08-23-2006, 01:46 AM
If you had that much trouble fight Ultros then I'd wonder about the possibility of finishing this challenge.

You're gonna have to do alot of thinking/strategizing/throwing with Shadow to finish this challenge ^.~

For Kefka you're gonna need ALOT of Flame Shields (Absorbing Merton). Although, Kefka's angel/god form using Ultima may just very well be unavoidable/unbeatable.

Also, regaining Strago in the WoR is going to be HARD. MagiMaster won't go down to easily with just the organic magics.

I looked at a few low level FAQs, but they all use magics from Espers (Life3 etc.) so they're no help to you.

Good luck. I'm surprised you've made it this far.

EDIT: I decided to try this challenge also. I hope you don't mind~

Zeromus_X
08-23-2006, 01:58 AM
You may've looked at this before, but just in case. (http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/snes/file/final_fantasy_iii_ll_natural.txt)

Moon Rabbits
08-23-2006, 03:42 AM
Nevermind, I decided to try a speed run instead of this challenge. :}

nik0tine
08-23-2006, 04:06 AM
Will you marry meyes ma'am.

If you had that much trouble fight Ultros then I'd wonder about the possibility of finishing this challenge.
Ultros wasn't the problem. I beat him 2 out of the three times I fought him, and I only died because of a careless mistake. The hard part was getting to Ultros.

Nevermind, I decided to try a speed run instead of this challenge. :}Boo!

And getting through the floating continent isn't easy either. You can't run from Ninjas, so if you encounter one it's game over.

Tavrobel
08-23-2006, 04:09 AM
Twice.

Naked?

nik0tine
08-23-2006, 04:23 AM
yessir.

Ultima Shadow
08-23-2006, 11:26 AM
Your strategy had better not fail me, ultima shadow! :p

Luckily (for me), it seems like it didn't fail. :laughing:

See? You can always trust old uncle Shads! xD

Anyways... good job, nik! You've made it past one hell of an annoying bad-ass battle.

Next up (other than the Ninja's), is Atma. And because of your lack of Rasp, it's probably going to be another bad-ass battle. But... it probably can't even be compared to the sky battle. So I'm sure you won't be stuck on Atma for too long. ;)

As for the Ninja's... well... as long as you encounter a Ninja + something else, you can just kill the Ninja and THEN run. Just a good thing to keep in mind. But I'm sure you already knew that. Good luck!

nik0tine
08-23-2006, 02:43 PM
you can just kill the Ninja and THEN run.Hard.

Ultima Shadow
08-23-2006, 03:50 PM
you can just kill the Ninja and THEN run.Hard.True.

But just in case you didn't know. I mean... if you've got more than half-way and encounter a Ninja + something else, it's always better to give it a try than just starting all over. :greenie:

bipper
08-23-2006, 04:11 PM
Magic is not natural Nik0. Your logic is fail. :mad2:

boys from the dwarf
08-23-2006, 07:03 PM
wow. that battle took some real persistence. congratulations and good luck BTW how will you beat later bosses and enemies on such low levels? im sure theres a strategy for these but some enemies probly have attacks that will wipe out your party. how do you do it?

bipper, your grammar is fail :p.

lovehurts
08-23-2006, 07:22 PM
What levels are you? I want to know.

nik0tine
08-23-2006, 10:36 PM
What levels are you? I want to know.Gau is at a higher level than any other characters. He's at level 13. Terra is at level 10, Locke is at 9, and everyone else is somewhere in between 7 and 10.

Edit: I've just made it to the first save point in the floating continent.

Double Edit: I'm battling Atma and I appear to be winning.

Triple Edit: Atma Weapon was defeated on my first attempt.

lovehurts
08-23-2006, 11:40 PM
What levels are you? I want to know.Gau is at a higher level than any other characters. He's at level 13. Terra is at level 10, Locke is at 9, and everyone else is somewhere in between 7 and 10.

Edit: I've just made it to the first save point in the floating continent.

Double Edit: I'm battling Atma and I appear to be winning.

Triple Edit: Atma Weapon was defeated on my first attempt.

Yes, that is rather impressive NIk.:)

Zeromus_X
08-24-2006, 12:30 AM
What did you do against Atma*?

Enjoy the World of Ruin. ;)

*I'll let it go this time.

nik0tine
08-24-2006, 12:34 AM
I beat Atma with a combination of wall rings, dragoon boots, and the Bomb rage. Everyone had a wall rings, so every time Atma used flare (which was about once every other turn) it would reflect off of my characters and deal 500+ damage to him. Shadow would throw when he got the chance, but everyone mainly acted as a healer. Once Atma entered his "second" attack phase I had Terra and Shadow jump and left locke to die. Gau absorbed flare star because of his bomb rage, and terra and shadow were always in the air when that attack came around. He wasn't difficult in the least bit.

And no, I did not use any cheap tricks if that's what your getting at.

Zeromus_X
08-24-2006, 12:38 AM
Of course not, I just wanted to know your strategy. :cat:

Cruise Control
08-24-2006, 01:10 AM
Are you going to get Gogo? I would think it would be useful because it would be like two Gau's, seeing how Gau is your greatest asset.

nik0tine
08-24-2006, 01:14 AM
Are you going to get Gogo? I would think it would be useful because it would be like two Gau's, seeing how Gau is your greatest asset.

I'm recruiting Gogo just so I can hear his theme song.

Ultima Shadow
08-24-2006, 06:57 AM
Wow, I REALLY overestimated Atma. Thought he would be tough without rasp, but I guess rasp wasn't even necessary at all. xD

And in the World of Ruin, you'll be able to get those Super Balls. :cool:

boys from the dwarf
08-24-2006, 09:04 AM
i still dont understand how you can do this on such low levels with barely any magic. this is seriously impressive. you must be a great strategist.

bipper
08-24-2006, 02:05 PM
he hax0rs the rom. :mad2:

lovehurts
08-24-2006, 02:10 PM
he hax0rs the rom. :mad2:

You're just jealous of his large very large manly-ness.

Cruise Control
08-24-2006, 02:21 PM
You're just jealous of his large very large manly-ness.Do I detect a penis joke?

lovehurts
08-24-2006, 02:26 PM
You're just jealous of his large very large manly-ness.Do I detect a penis joke?

I'll leave you to your own imagination.

Cruise Control
08-24-2006, 02:56 PM
You're just jealous of his large very large manly-ness.Do I detect a penis joke?I'll leave you to your own imaginationI'm amazed you managed to turn that around.

EDIT: Manually constructing Quote pyramids is harder than it sounds.

bipper
08-25-2006, 06:15 PM
Oh but I AM jealous of his masculinitynessity.

Moon Rabbits
08-25-2006, 06:30 PM
this (http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/snes/file/final_fantasy_iii_ll_natural.txt) might interest you.

bipper
08-25-2006, 06:39 PM
this (http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/snes/file/final_fantasy_iii_ll_natural.txt) might interest you.
if the link worked, it might :love:

lovehurts
08-25-2006, 07:00 PM
Oh but I AM jealous of his masculinitynessity.

I know its been said before bipper but you are a legend at EOFF:p

Id want to vacation in youe head for one day just to see what goes on in there. Brillant. Your post are actually worth reading....

Jowy
08-27-2006, 09:06 AM
Hmm, interesting. I'll give it a shot.

*cackles*

nik0tine
08-28-2006, 03:05 AM
This is annoying. Escaping the floating continent is proving to be very, very difficult. I didn't bring the right party members.

Moon Rabbits
08-28-2006, 04:56 AM
if the link worked, it might :love:

GameFAQs totally started being bandwith-whore-stoppers so just copy and paste the link~ it works then.

nik0tine
09-02-2006, 11:00 PM
I know it's possible because the guy on Gamefaqs did it but I seriously have no idea how to make it out of the floating continent. There is just not enough time to kill all of the naughties that you encounter.

Ultima Shadow
09-10-2006, 04:15 PM
Do you have the Sprint Shoes, atleast?

nik0tine
09-10-2006, 09:46 PM
Yes, I do. They help quite a bit. It's a pain in the ass to keep trying this because of the ridiculously long scene I get beforehand. I'll have it eventually though. Don't worry.

nik0tine
09-11-2006, 11:30 PM
I've come up with a new strategy, but it's still quite difficult to execute. I equip everyone except Terra with Wall Rings (she gets two earrings) and I fire1 my whole team. It deals about 600 damage to the naughties per turn. If she is 'morphed' it will deal 1200, but she can only use morph once.

I wonder though. Would it be better to equip terra with two earrings or one earring and one hero ring?

Jowy
09-11-2006, 11:36 PM
Two earrings give a higher magic boost than one earring and a hero ring.

nik0tine
09-12-2006, 03:38 AM
Are the battles with the naughties 'forced' or are they 'random' encounters? If they are random, what determines the rate of encounters? It was suggested to me that I heal after every four steps and that would reset the counter. However, this does not work. I have, however, discovered that I can manipulate the encounter rate, I just don't know how I did it. If there is some way that I can prevent one or two battles with these fucking naughties I won't have any problems escaping the floating continent.

Even if the naughty battles are forced, how do I manipulate the encounter rate?

Zeromus_X
09-12-2006, 04:12 AM
4.45.5 Escape from the Floating Continent

Party members: Celes; Optional: Terra, Locke, Edgar, Sabin, Cyan, Gau, Setzer,
Mog, Strago, Relm
Opponents: Naughty, Nerapa
Lores: Condemned, Roulette

Monster formations:
Naughty (always)

You have six minutes, 6:00, to get off the Floating Continent. Goddess
energy naturally takes on the form of monsters, and you have to plow through
these newly born entities to reach the end (which is also the landing point
of a particularly big sparkle, AKA a particularly powerful new creature).

Preparation: You're still covered in Wall Rings if you listened to my advice.
Keep them on! If Celes joined your party just now, give one to her as well.
The Wall Rings protect from the ICe 2 spell the Naughty enemies cast, and it
will be nice to have against the boss here as well.

Naughty enemies are a pain because they take time to defeat and you can't run
from them. They're about wasting time, and they're fairly competent at it.
Their attacks include Battle, !Hit, Ice 2, Blizzard, and Cold Dust. Sadly,
they can use Cold Dust on the first turn, disabling a character. If you hit
them with a Magic spell, they have a 33 % shot at using Mute (Note: this is NOT
the Spell Mute; it's a monster attack with the same name, animation, and
effect. Delightfully useless). When you Imp them, their next turn will be spent
on de-Imping themselves and using Escape.

Since Celes is a mandatory character and she'll be above level 14 unless
you were really going for an LLG, she'll know Imp. I suggest you use it. If
Celes if frozen beforehand and nobody else knows the Imp spell, just take
advantage of Naughty's weakness to Fire, Lightning, and Pearl. L.4 Flare works
on him as well, so if Strago is around, he'll be able to do quite some damage
with it. Sprint Shoes are great in any situation with a timer; while you
shouldn't need them, they cut back the time you spend walking.

Walk on, and the ground will crack underneath you. You'll make a surprised jump
and can continue. Behind you, the part you just walked on falls off. Dangerous
/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif, this dungeon! Walk on, another crack, another part breaks off behind you.
Walk on. Another crack. If you go to the featureless part below you now, a
small part will come off. You'll want to press on, though. You now reach for
a small plateau with a blue orb on it, but when you get near it the ground
cracks beneath you. Should you now simply continue, the part you'll need to
reach the blue orb will fall off. Go around the gap here so you can grab the
treasure: an Elixir. Now you'll see the big sparkle: go over to it and prepare
yourself.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4.45.6 The battle with Nerapa and Exit

Nerapa
Level: 26, HP: 2800, MP: 280
Absorbs: Fire, Nullify: Poison, Wind, Earth, Water Weakness: Ice, Lightning,
Pearl
Special: !Hit: Battle x 1.5
Sketch : !Hit (rare), Battle (common)
Vulnerable to: Death, Condemned, Berserk, Muddled, Stop
Attacks: Battle, Fire 2, Fire 3, Condemned, Roulette, Fire Ball

Vanish/Doom: No
Immunity to Clear status.

Joker Doom: Yes
Fire Ball and Roulette both mess with the RNG. Who are you kidding? Trying to
obtain Joker Doom for Nerapa is like spending large sums of cash on learning
how to make your own solar-powered shotgun with poisoned slugs so you can take
care of your rodent problem.

The big sparkle's name is Nerapa. He gets 10 out of 10 for style, but minus
one billion for good thinking. I mean, here you are, with a timer quickening
your pace, and he thinks it's a good idea to cast Condemned on the party.

It's like: "If I give them TWO timers simultaneously, they'll have to move
TWO times as fast!" If this is what Japanese logic is all about, I fail to see
how they even managed to make this game work. Then again, it *is* the most
bugged game currently mapped, so I guess that still doesn't say much.

Anyway, being a pompous annoyance "Mwa ha ha you can't run!" and after casting
Condemned on the party, he will now try to attack you. I very much doubt he
won't be looking like a kitten that just came out of your microwave at this
point, but let's give this guy some credit and assume that he's still standing.
He can use Battle, Fire 2, Fire 3, and Fire Ball. Very spooky. Fire 3 actually
hurts a bit.

Now HERE'S a hoot: If you hit Nerapa with six Fight commands, he'll use
Roulette. Next to the fact that Roulette can actually take Nerapa himself down,
the mere thought that Nerapa could even survive six Fight attacks is laughable
by itself. You'd need a Heal Rod or a rat-flail or something in order to pull
that off.

Anyway, back to not insulting this guy into submission (although you could).
He's weak to Lightning AND Ice AND Pearl. He's also Floating. Just make sure you
keep in the back of your mind this guy is inherently Reflective, which means
you'll need to resort to your skills and summon attacks. There are literally
hundreds of ways to off this guy, and they're all very easy. Gau's Rhodox Rage
can enSnare him for a one-hit KO, as can a fatal Chainsaw attack. Bouncing a
few Rasp spells off yourself will kill him. Bouncing a Doom spell off yourself
will kill it. You can confuse him; you don't get any more pathetic than that.
Just use your strongest attacks, be it Giga Volt, or AuraBolt, or Gem Dust, or
what have you. Nerapa has 2800 HP. If you played your cards right, you were
doing 2800 in one attack back there against Atma Weapon.

Once you've beaten Nerapa, you can walk over to the edge and the Blackjack will
appear under you.

The airship's below.
Jump!!
Wait!!

But Shadow is still back there!

If you choose to Jump!!, the entire Floating Continent will come crashing down
with Shadow on it and you will never, ever see him again.
If you choose to Wait!!, you'll do nothing and you'll get the option

Jump!!
Gotta wait for SHADOW...

every time you walk up the ledge. You'll want to keep standing there. He might
still show up. And he does, once the timer hits 0:04 Shadow will appear, make
a smart remark in the middle of the Tempest of Destruction and Doom you find
yourself in, and will jump down on the Blackjack with you. If you were goofing
off in the menu during 0:04 he still appears if you get out of it between 0:04
and 0:01, but if you wait until time runs out you're just going down.

So, Shadow was going to sacrifice himself to save the planet.

Only:
a) he doesn't sacrifice himself and
b) the planet isn't saved.

In the next cutscene, a lot of bad things happen. Congratulations. You try to
rally in the Esper troops from behind the Sealed Gate; you send them on a
murderous rampage. You try to talk peacefully to them; you deliver them
straight to Kefka. You try to stop Gestahl; you destroy the world. A competent
bunch of heroes, these Returners. Real smart.

Planet: I'm apocalypsing!

As a side note, due to a bug you now receive the equipment of the generic
Moogle Kamog, one of the Moogles that helped you rescue Terra way in the
beginning. This means you win a Boomerang and a Buckler. For free!

This is the end of the World of Balance walkthrough. You can go to the second
half by using this URL:

http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/snes/file/final_fantasy_iii_l_2.txt

It doesn't seem like they're forced.

I don't know about manipulating the encounter rate (such a 'Cure trick' works for Final Fantasy II), but do you have Imp? Is Celes at that low a level?

nik0tine
09-12-2006, 04:21 AM
Celes is half that level. She's at level 7. In fact, nobody is above level 10 except Gau.

I don't want to go through this fucking dungeon again, but how do I get level 4 flare?

Edit: Wait a fucking minute I can summon Ifrit! And Maduin!! And I'll use shoat to petrify the boss in one hit if I ever make it that far.

Double Edit: and I can summon carbuncle, which means I don't need the wall rings and I'll deal more damage to the naughties. I have to be careful with my MP consumption, though. I want to save some tinctures for the WoR.

Zeromus_X
09-12-2006, 04:35 AM
+++++++++++++++
+ L.4 Flare +
+++++++++++++++

Rage Sketch Control Muddle Charm
-----------------------------------------
Apokryphos | X * 25% * |
+---------------------------------------+
Mag Roader (brown) | X |
+---------------------------------------+
Trapper $ | X * 25% 25% * |
-----------------------------------------

* Will have to hit the Veldt to use ability on enemy.
$ Strago can encounter it only on the Veldt.

Uses in battle
--------------
Apokryphos: Uses randomly as counterattack (to non-fatal hits) if only 1
monster remains.
Dark Force: It's random in a large script, so be patient.
Dueller: Uses randomly. With only one normal attack round in its script,
you won't wait long to see this.
Goblin: Uses randomly if there is only 1 monster remaining.
Red Dragon (#): Uses randomly every 80 monster timer increments (which amounts
to roughly 42.67 real-time seconds).
Trapper ($): Uses randomly.

$ Strago can encounter it only on the Veldt.
# Will be missed entirely if you don't bring Strago along.

I found the info on Lv4 Flare, but it seems you've found a better strategy. :) :cat:

Edit:

Celes is half that level. She's at level 7. In fact, nobody is above level 10 except Gau.

Holy smurf. 0_o;

nik0tine
09-12-2006, 04:44 AM
Holy smurf. 0_o;They could have been lower if I had known what I was doing. :p

Edit: It's amazing how frequently a lone apokrypos will show up on the floating continent. In fact, it seems like the only time it doesn't show is when I specifically want it to! How very lovely this makes me feel.

nik0tine
09-16-2006, 09:16 PM
*double posts*

Thanks to Zeromus_X I am now able to make it to Nerapa with ease when I make good use of the level 4 flare spell, in conjunction with the tactics I was already using.

The problem now, is Nerapa. He can actually, you know, kill me. By the time I get to him I have only about a minute remaining, a minute thirty seconds tops. I can't seem to kill him fast enough. I can just rely on Edgars chainsaw to kill him, but that isn't much to rely on. I do not have the break blade, and it doesn't appear as if Shoat works on this boss.

Does anyone know of any way to kill this thing in one hit? If the break blade works, why doesnt shoat work? Or, does shoat only work some of the time? Any information any of you can give me on this boss would help tremendously. I'm downright sick of the floating continent and I just want to move on.

Reyamoka
09-17-2006, 02:48 AM
Oh my god, you managed to make it this far. I worship you now. <3 However I've only played FFVI once, and I'm too busy to attempt a challenge so I can't really help. Good luck though.

Zeromus_X
09-17-2006, 02:52 AM
It seems like you'll just have to keep on trying (and I'm sure that's the last thing you want to hear after going after this for so long, but I'm sorry :().

The Break Blade is very well hidden on the stairs up to that No. 24 guy in the Magitek Research Facility, so don't feel bad that you missed it.

Doom isn't an option, so I guess you'll just have to keep trying with the Chainsaw and Shoat. :( :cat:

nik0tine
09-17-2006, 04:20 AM
So shoat can miss?

Whats worse about all of this is that after I beat Nerapa I'm forced to battle with one more naughty. I haven't beat Nerapa yet but I know this is true because I ran out of time and it took me back to field. I tried to run to the end and before the time ran out I ran into another battle. This is going to be fucking tough. I'll have to kill nerapa on my first shot.

Of course, the first time I made it to Nerapa I did kill him in one move. I lost anyway though. What a fucking pain in the ass.

Ultima Shadow
09-17-2006, 05:28 PM
I guess you just don't have the time to kill him the normal way... but his HP is really low, atleast. I guess it's still pretty much impossible to make it in time... but if you equip everyone with a wall-ring and reflect some magic at him... nah, I don't know. But if you somehow can hit him for 1000 dammage, you only need to hit him 3 times, as I think he got something like 2500-3000 HP.

Still, I guess praying for an instant-kill with the Chain-Saw is the best option, since you can't afford to waste more time than necessary.

In any case... good luck! :cool:

I'm actually half-stuck myself, in my SO3 challenge, at the moment. >_< (not anymore)

nik0tine
09-22-2006, 10:52 PM
How important is it that I save Shadow, do you think? I can pass the floating continent IF I do not save shadow. What do you guys think?

Zeromus_X
09-23-2006, 04:47 AM
Well, he has Throw, which if I recall, ignores defense, so I wouldn't know if that would be something to consider.

Ultima Shadow
09-23-2006, 10:04 AM
How important is it that I save Shadow, do you think? I can pass the floating continent IF I do not save shadow. What do you guys think?Doesn't saving Shadow just take like an additional 1-2 secs anyways, though? You choose "wait", then "wait for Shadow"... and as long as the timer's under 4 sec, he'll come and that's it. Atleast that's what I remember. :greenie:

Anyways...

As much as I'd like to say that Shadow kicks ass, there's far more useful characters for this challenge. With that Tack-Star thingy, Shadow can do about 1500-2000 dammage, if I remember correctly. But once you've got to that point in the game, there's much more powerful attacks and useful abilities for other characters. Not to mention that it can be a pain to get enough of those Thack-Stars. I still used Shadow in my normal low-level, of course, since he's my fav. But when it comes down to it, I'd say his only big bonus is his additional evasion thanks to Interceptor, which of course can be really useful at times. Also, the fact that he can use stuff like "Shadow Edge" to futher increase his evasion is good too... but that doesn't affect Magic Evasion, which usually is much more important. All in all I'd say he's a decent or half-assed character for this challenge. He's far from useless, but there certainly IS better ones, like Terra and Celes etc.

nik0tine
09-23-2006, 09:11 PM
I'm still undecided as to whether or not I want to save Shadow. I have another question though. Do you think a low level, natural magic CES challenge is possible? I think I'm going to give it a shot.

Ultima Shadow
09-23-2006, 09:59 PM
I'm still undecided as to whether or not I want to save Shadow. I have another question though. Do you think a low level, natural magic CES challenge is possible? I think I'm going to give it a shot.Well... in the final battle, you'll pretty much have to rely on Terra or Celes equiped with the Paladin Sheild and the Force Armor (this will give them a magical evasion that's so high it becomes impossible for all blockable spells to even touch them), and all the other characters will pretty much just be "support". In this challenge Terra and Celes won't be able to spam Ultima's... so the attack power of your other characters may actually count more than it did in my case. Even so... all you'll really need in order to win the final battle is that one singel "survivor". Because without a character with an extremely high magic evasion, you're pretty much screwed. And the other characters will most likely die a whole lot.

In other words, as far as the final battle goes, I'm sure CES is possible. The big problem, however, would be your way to the final boss where you'll have to divide your party into 3 groups. Beating all the bosses that you'll encounter with the other 2 "non-survivor" characters will most likely be a pure hell.

NeoCracker
09-24-2006, 01:37 AM
Oh how I missed these challanges.

nik0tine
09-25-2006, 04:00 AM
Well, I kept a seperate saving in the WoB incase I need Shadow. (or regret losing him)

Now I'm attempting a low level, natural magic CES challenge. I have a solo Celes at level 7 attempting to make it through Figaro castle. With only 140 HP it's gonna be tough. :p

Edit: Beginning the battle with the tentacles now.

Double Edit: This is probably not possible.

Zeromus_X
09-25-2006, 04:19 AM
Oh, so you passed the FC? Congratulations nik! :) :cat:

Well...good luck with the rest. :( :cat:

nik0tine
09-25-2006, 05:36 AM
Oh, so you passed the FC? Congratulations nik! :) :cat:

Well...good luck with the rest. :( :cat:

I could have passed it a long time ago had I decided not to save shadow. :p

Ultima Shadow
09-25-2006, 09:54 AM

TENTACLE RAPE!!!

...Erm, anyways... how did the battle go?

bipper
09-25-2006, 06:59 PM
lol nik0; you are more nutts than I though (which makes your really fucking nutts)

nik0tine
09-25-2006, 10:49 PM

TENTACLE RAPE!!!

...Erm, anyways... how did the battle go?
Well, it started out with Edgar using bio blaster and then getting whacked for about 80 damage. Celes healed him and then she got whacked and it killed her. I tried to bring her back but they used poison on Edgar and that was it. It also appears as if there is no save point in the basement of figaro castle. Please tell me I am mistaken.

Zeromus_X
09-26-2006, 12:52 AM
I don't believe there is one, nik. :(

Yeah, I always kill them with Bio Blast when I kill them. This is alot harder though...wouldn't it be better to just complete the game minus the CES requirements the first time like this, and then, once you beat the game, try a CES challenge? Because this just seems super difficult. Not to bash you or anything, but I'm surprised you've made it this far. 0_o;

PSyladine
10-03-2006, 05:12 PM
suppose if you were really patient you can hold out for Cele's desperation move, its a 1/16 iirc, and you have to go half a minute in battle before it will work.

sucks without sabin. but with runningshoes you win out against 1/2 the special attacks. Amulets take care of the other. maybe something with Fenrir round one...dunno good luck mate!

Ultima Shadow
10-03-2006, 10:24 PM
In the worst case, I guess you should just go back and get Sabin. You could make it a CESS challenge. :p

The tentacles got 4000-7000 HP each. How much dammage do you with Bio Blaster?

nik0tine
10-03-2006, 10:36 PM
In the worst case, I guess you should just go back and get Sabin. You could make it a CESS challenge. :p

The tentacles got 4000-7000 HP each. How much dammage do you with Bio Blaster?
About 80. :p

I already went back and got Sabin. I'm just going to finish this challenge as is for now. I might come back later and attempt a CES challenge. I'm In Daryls tomb right now and I'm not certain how to beat Dullahan.

Jowy
10-03-2006, 10:38 PM
Just crank out the Debiliator until Dullahan is weak against Pearl, and go hogwild with one of Sabin's Dragon Claws. It's how I've always beaten him on regular playthroughs.

Ultima Shadow
10-04-2006, 06:57 AM
Runic is your friend.

nik0tine
10-04-2006, 10:34 AM
How often does he use Absolute Zero? Does runic trigger it? The majority of the battle he was doing nothing but physical and magical attacks. I began using runic and after I had absorbed somewhere between five and ten magic attacks he used absolute zero and wiped me out. Is there any way to prevent that? Can he be silenced, perhaps?

Ultima Shadow
10-04-2006, 11:17 AM
Well, I runic'ed and rasped away all his MP, so that he only could use physical attacks. But then again... you don't have rasp, which is a problem.

As far as I know, his attacks are all just completely random. I guess you could try without using runic and see whenever he use Absolute Zero or not, though. With wall-rings equiped, his other magics shouldn't be a problem. Just like Air Force, you must avoid Absolute Zero at all cost. So if it really is runic that causes him to use Absolute Zero (which I doubt, though) you better avoid using it. I'm not sure whenever he can be silenced or not.

Siegfried
10-05-2006, 01:06 AM
Isnt absolute zero an ice attack...causing a person with a ice shield to absorb it as hp...if u have two then Celes and Edgar are the people i would give it to

nik0tine
10-05-2006, 02:10 AM
The only thing is that I don't have an ice shield, and I don't think they are available to me at this point in time.

Siegfried
10-05-2006, 02:38 AM
ure right...u get that at Mt. Zozo right after that, for some reason i thought u got it at the Magitek factory, so...ummm....u could...:mog: :mad: try to do near death attacks till u get lucky....:confused:

Jowy
10-05-2006, 05:47 AM
Hm, actually.

I believe at this point in time, it's possible to have perfect, or near perfect Mblock Celes, so this is your ace in the hole for a bit of a boost. Go to the colloseum, bet the Soul Sabre from the Tentacle fight for a Falchion, Falchion for Flame Shield, Flame Shield for Ice Shield. With the proper equipment, you should be able to go through every battle.

ulukinatme
10-05-2006, 06:06 AM
Came across this thread while lookin' for FFVI maps, hopin' to make a NWN module using them :) Just thought I'd say congrats so far nik, you've gotten farther than I ever have on a low level walkthrough, and only natural magic too! I'm pretty experienced in low level WoB because I like to keep my characters as low as possible to reap huge Esper bonus rewards later (Like 120 Magic Power on Setzer for evil, evil Fire 1 attacks :D ). I never went farther than the WoB though, but I've felt your pain up to that point. While I did learn some magic (Not much, since it was only through boss fights), I offset that by not using Gau much if ever. Anyway, keep up the work, I can only imagine what those WoR boss battles will be like :(

Ultima Shadow
10-05-2006, 02:11 PM
Hm, actually.

I believe at this point in time, it's possible to have perfect, or near perfect Mblock Celes, so this is your ace in the hole for a bit of a boost. Go to the colloseum, bet the Soul Sabre from the Tentacle fight for a Falchion, Falchion for Flame Shield, Flame Shield for Ice Shield. With the proper equipment, you should be able to go through every battle.
Wrong. You can't go to the colosseum until you've got the air ship. And you get the air ship right after this boss battle.

Also, to perfect Magic Block, you need Force Armor and the Force Sheild/Paladin Sheild.

Jowy
10-05-2006, 03:09 PM
http://www.returnergames.com/worldbooks/ff6/ff6wor.jpg

Yep, that sure looks like you can't get there by walking alright.

Also, I specified 'near perfect', I'm well aware the Force/Paladin shield is required for that setup. :)

PSyladine
10-05-2006, 04:21 PM
flame shield just as good; nullifies instead of absorbs :) plus you can win it easier with the loot from the tomb, maneater for the Outsider and Dragon Claw from the Presenter (if you beat him...:mad: )

alternatively have edgar do the colosseum battles and pray for chainsaw instant death :D

good luck~

Ultima Shadow
10-05-2006, 05:39 PM
http://www.returnergames.com/worldbooks/ff6/ff6wor.jpg

Yep, that sure looks like you can't get there by walking alright.

Also, I specified 'near perfect', I'm well aware the Force/Paladin shield is required for that setup. :)Meh, I was SURE that stupid ruin was on that continent below. >_<

Sorry, it's been a while since I played this game so my memory needs to be refreshed, I guess. :p

But I'm NEAR completely sure that the Magic Block won't even be NEAR perfect with just the Ice Sheild, though. :greenie:

Jowy
10-05-2006, 05:40 PM
Enhancer, Mystery Veil, White Dress, and two earrings should make it around 100% though. The Force/Paladin shield tops it off at 129%.

Ultima Shadow
10-05-2006, 08:29 PM
Enhancer, Mystery Veil, White Dress, and two earrings should make it around 100% though. The Force/Paladin shield tops it off at 129%.Earrings does not affect Magic Block, only Magic Power. THAT much I remember, atleast. >_<

White Dress grants Magic Defense and Magic Power, but not Magic Block. And I actually checked this time. xD

So... Enhancer, Mystery Veil, White Dress, and two earrings should make it around 40%.

Enhancer= +20%
Mystery Veil= +10%
Celes natural Magic Block= Around 10%

With the Ice Sheild, it's around 50%

White Cape adds +10% each, though. So if you add 2 of those instead of Earrings, you'll get 70%. Still not close to 100%, and even less 129%, though.

PSyladine
10-05-2006, 09:32 PM
Zelgaddis' FAQ recommends just runic until dullahan is near 0 mp, then equipping soul sabre and ending it. attack just provokes dull.

this means not getting the shield tho.

Jowy
10-05-2006, 09:38 PM
oh yeah, I did use White Capes. xD

nik0tine
10-06-2006, 01:07 AM
Wrong. You can't go to the colosseum until you've got the air ship. And you get the air ship right after this boss battle.Actually, I can get to the colloseum before this battle. It's not worth it to give up my soul sabre, though. I'm going to need it for alot of future battles.

I haven't played in a few days. I'll take dullahan out tonight.

Jowy
10-06-2006, 01:11 AM
You could go through a longer series of battles and go ThunderBlade > Ogre Nix > Soul Sabre. Those can be bought back. You could get three more Soul Sabre's if need be as well.

nik0tine
10-06-2006, 01:34 AM
Excellent idea!

Siegfried
10-06-2006, 01:39 AM
YAY, For once my idea might actually work! Huzzah!

nik0tine
10-06-2006, 03:22 AM
I smashed Dullahan pretty easily. If you don't do anything but runic, he won't use anything but magic, so I just depleted his HP and then used the soul saber to finish him off.

Now I'm gathering money from cactrots. I didn't know they gave so much freaking GP! I'm just glad I don't have to fight on the Veldt anymore. :p

Ultima Shadow
10-06-2006, 12:46 PM
I smashed Dullahan pretty easily. If you don't do anything but runic, he won't use anything but magic, so I just depleted his HP and then used the soul saber to finish him off.
See? Runic IS your friend after all. xD

If I remember correctly, you can just go and pick up whichever character you want in any order now... so what do you intend to do next?

nik0tine
10-07-2006, 01:25 AM
I'm not exactly certain what I'm going to do now. I'm going to try to pick up as many characters as I can without having to go through any large dungeongs. That way I can hopefully get Mog before getting a character like Locke. I don't want to deal with the phoenix cave, really. The only problem with getting mog first is that he is at a higher level than everyone else and his level will factor in to everyone elses.

PSyladine
10-07-2006, 04:44 PM
given the party levels you've stated it should not make much a difference, or if a difference, of one or two levels at the most. plus mog gives the almighty moogle charm.

seems the game is won, its now just equipment collecting and mop up...good job! :cool:

boys from the dwarf
10-07-2006, 08:26 PM
wow. i would never do a challenge like this. i can only think of one harder challenge that is actually probably possible.

same as this but in the WoR you only use celes,sabin,setzer and sabin.

what is your plan for beating this challenge. where do you intend to go and what sidequests, characters and when will you go to kefkas tower?

nik0tine
10-07-2006, 08:36 PM
I will enter Kefkas tower after I have collected all of the characters and beaten all of the optional bosses. I also intend on beating two Tyranos and a bracheosaur before entering the tower. I will reset my game after I win, of course, so I don't earn any exp.

PSyladine
10-08-2006, 01:26 PM
I know you prohibited yourself from store-bought rods; there are 2 enemies you can steal rods from, both are in Narshe (go figure). The first is so rare as to be ungodly; in the WoB, and the other in the WOR. Both have IceRods to steal. i don't know if you consider that fair game or not, but it's there ;)

nik0tine
10-08-2006, 11:59 PM
I know you prohibited yourself from store-bought rods; there are 2 enemies you can steal rods from, both are in Narshe (go figure). The first is so rare as to be ungodly; in the WoB, and the other in the WOR. Both have IceRods to steal. i don't know if you consider that fair game or not, but it's there ;)
Oh yes. I most certainly do.

PSyladine
10-09-2006, 04:06 PM
If you still have a WOB save, its the 'security checkpoint' room in the Narshe mines. You can get back there through the rear of Arvis' house...anyways its a rare fight, and the steal is rare...it's Spectre. Might be nice in the fight against Nerapa if you wanted to rescue Shadow.

In the WOR, it's in the Narshe ice fields, the Wizard enemy. they also have a fire rod steal. just watch out for the Ice Dragon :rolleyes2