PDA

View Full Version : Changing desktop image in "dos"

Peegee
06-24-2006, 04:12 PM
I know it's possible to map network drives from the command prompt, but is it possible to change the desktop image? If so, how?

I know I know, 'DAFS': I am! But if you can answer before I find it, so much the better, right?

Dr Unne
06-24-2006, 06:19 PM
I know it's possible because every time I reboot a computer at work, the background is reset. There's possibly a registry key that does it or something.

ShunNakamura
06-24-2006, 07:06 PM
Well the registry key in WinXP is, to my knowledge(this is where it is on my computer),
My Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes\LastTheme

Then there is a value called Wallpaper. This is the value that changes when you change your desktop background. However, I have been unable to change the background by changing that value.

There should be a way to do it, but I don't know it off the top of my head. I will keep looking though:P

I know you can use batch files and the like to set it so that any time you boot the background is set to a particular setting(or so I have heard). Is this what you want to do?

crono_logical
06-24-2006, 09:10 PM
I know it's possible because every time I reboot a computer at work, the background is reset. There's possibly a registry key that does it or something.That's most likely achieved through a group policy rather than a command line script.

However, you can use the "reg" command to modify the registry from the command line :p I don't know how you can force the desktop to refresh from the command line though after you've updated the appropriate entry.

Peegee
06-25-2006, 05:11 AM
The reason I ask is because I have a 3rd party 'skin' that I can't edit (or if I have, I forget how I did it).

FYI it's windowblinds.

The way I figure it, if I could add a reg key or script to change the background to something (I'll give the reg key suggestion a try), it would fix the issue in a roundabout way.

edit: nope, the 'lasttheme' is the correct link to my image file. Oh well