PDA

View Full Version : New Super Mario Bros. Impressions

Sephex
05-16-2006, 07:58 PM
Holy ****ing s*** is this game awesome. I didn't know how much I missed a traditional 2D Mario game (models are in 3D, but the game plays form a 2D perspective). So far, Nintendo seemed to have put minor elements from most Mario games and threw them all in this game. For example, you can climb and hit fences like in Mario World. A lot of Mario 64 stuff has been thrown in the mix as well--and it works like magic. You can triple jump if you are running fast enough, you can butt slam, and you can WALL KICK! I already avoided dumb ass pit deaths because of this! Take THAT old Mario games robbing me of my precious lives! I can wall kick now! Some new moves are the ability swing across vines. You can even slide along cliff edges or hang off of them!

Like the original Mario, the two main power-ups are the normal Mario mushroom and the fire flower. However, I have come across a couple of interesting new powers. There is a mushroom that makes you as big as the screen practically (Mega Mario), and you can literally crush everything in your path. There is a mushroom that makes you very tiny (Mini Mario), but you can float jump and get into hidden areas because of that. There is also a blue shell power-up. While you dash, you can have Mario go inside the blue shell and slide around to your hearts content!

The good old world map is back (think Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World). To open pathways to some of the power-up houses (one that lets you win lives and the other gives you a chance at a normal or special power-up), you have to spend five big coins that you can find in every level (three coins to find per level).

How is the touch screen used? Well, there is an indicator that tells you how far along you are in each level. Also, much like Super Mario World, you can have power-up on reserve in case you get into a jam (if you win a special power-up like a Mega Mushroom, it will stay there untill you use it instead of it being overtaken if you touch a fire flower). I am sure the mini games (little more on that later) will use it more.

Like in Mario 64 DS, there are mini games to play. I haven't checked them out yet, but if they are half as fun as the ones in M64DS, then I will be happy. You can also play against a friend (who would be controlling Luigi) in specifially designed levels. Also, haven't had a chance to check that out yet.

Overall, this is an excellent game. I can see this easily becoming one of my favorite DS games!

http://www.1up.com/media?id=2751206&type=lg
http://www.1up.com/media?id=2751199&type=lg
http://www.1up.com/media?id=2751194&type=lg

KentaRawr!
05-16-2006, 10:15 PM

It's out? :O

Well, I know what I'm buying with my allowance.

Rengori
05-16-2006, 10:25 PM
Screw you FFXII! I'm spending whatever money I get on this first!

Roto13
05-16-2006, 11:37 PM
You know, I was on the fence about buying this one, but now I think I'll pick it up tomorrow. Thanks. :)

Markus. D
05-16-2006, 11:46 PM
I am fine with FFXI.

besides... some powers practically let you uber through it...

DeathKnight
05-17-2006, 02:59 AM
*dies* this game is insanely GREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAT, it's 3D...but 2D...get it????.....it's fucking awesome! Man, Mario and Luigi haven't looked this good since the Super Nintendo days:D

:mario::luigi:

Venom65437
05-31-2006, 06:11 AM
I got this game and beat it tonight. Overall, it's a pretty good game, lots of fun. It wasn't much of a challenge however. The final battle is pretty interesting.

Anyway, good game overall, with lots of levels. I didn't bother to play through all of them as I usually beat a game first then go back and do that, so I still have replay value.

I do think it's a neat touch how the screens switch places when you warp underground.

Giga Guess
05-31-2006, 01:35 PM
I'm buying a DS for this!

Flying Mullet
05-31-2006, 01:40 PM
It looks pretty amazing from the screen shots I've seen. I just don't want to get a DS because they're not backwards compatible with the original gameboy games. :cry:

Giga Guess
05-31-2006, 01:44 PM
But I doubt if it'll be long before they can be emulated.

Ultima Shadow
05-31-2006, 02:24 PM
Dude, that looks hot. I've thought about buying a DS anyways... but now I'm sure that I'll get one. :cool:

~SapphireStar~
05-31-2006, 03:57 PM
Its very tempting to get but Im short of cash at the mo :(

Gau Dude
05-31-2006, 08:11 PM
I could just download the old "Super Mario World" SNES ROM, but hell... 3D!!

I don't have a DS. Actually, I don't have any console. I'm lucky to have this COMPUTER. But hell, this looks so... SWEET!

KentaRawr!
05-31-2006, 09:04 PM
I picked up the game, and I must say, this game rocks. It's so easy and simple, yet so fun. The fact that it's easy is hardly a dissapointment to me. n.n 2D Mario Side-Scrollers = Perfect handheld games.

eestlinc
06-24-2006, 11:39 PM
I just bought this game and it is so cool. I like how Mario talks to you.

Ichimonji
06-25-2006, 12:10 AM
I love it. It's very fun and addictive. The level design in some places are pretty clever too. I'll admit that the game is easy to perfect, but there are but tricky Star Coin locations.

My favourite ability is probably Mini-Mario, and probably the most useful ability in the game (Besides the Fire Flower of course) as you mostly need this ability to get a lot of the alternate exits and Star Coins. Shell Mario is a very annoying ability as it's a little hard to control, and you don't need it nearly as often. Giant Mario is very useful for getting 1-ups, but not useful if you need to go down a pipe to get to a secret part of the level, as it destroys everything in its path. Wall-jumping is an incredibly neat technique to have in a Mario game; I find myself using it all the time. Lastly, the Fire-Flower makes this entire game ten times easy than it should be.

I was a little disappointed in the lack of actual in-game minigames for items, but the rest of the game makes up for that. The selection of worlds are pretty good, but the bosses are incredibly easy, which I don't mind because Mario is known for having easy boss battles.

Besides the actual game, the 1-Player minigames are extremely fun. It also uses the Stylus really well. I have never played Super Mario 64 DS, but I'm told these are the same minigames from that title. Also, the 2-Player mingame is pretty fun, and can get very intense.

Overall, this is a magnificent game. To not play this game would be to miss an excellent Super Mario experience.

Roto13
06-25-2006, 12:24 AM
I just bought this game and it is so cool. I like how Mario talks to you.
i c wut u did thar

Anyway, it's an awesome game. I'm still playing it, after all this time. :)

Crossblades
07-15-2006, 09:58 PM
It's an awesome Mario game!:D

Rostum
07-16-2006, 01:46 AM
I really like this game. =D

Sylvie
07-16-2006, 03:29 AM
I was debating on buying this, I think I'll buy it sometime.

Rengori
07-16-2006, 03:32 AM
Buy it, it'll be the best $25-35 dollars you'll spend on a DS game.

Cruise Control
07-16-2006, 03:32 AM
Its OK...