PDA

View Full Version : FFVII PS3 remake the financial side

Sinistrad
06-25-2006, 10:00 AM
Ok, so I know all this "remake on PS3" garbage has got to be getting old, and as I'm new here (hi btw) where do I come off starting a post about it. But here's the thing, I've been thinking about this a lot (haven't we all ;)) and my mind started to wander down the financial track Square would take approaching this, and I wanted tome feedback on what I came up with and this seemed like a good place. So let me know what you think.

By my estimates, Square Enix stands to make over $450,000,000 in sales off of a remake of FFVII. This is assuming that roughly 8 million copies of the original have been sold, and that of the people who own that game, 85% would own a PS3 (or buy one) and purchase a redone FFVII (~7 mil). This also assumes prices of $75 in Japan and $50 in the states per sale, with 2/3 of the sales being in Japan.

Estimated costs for the creation of a PS3 game range from 10 to 15 million dollars with an additional 10 million for advertising. So that's $25,000,000 to make it. That's a lot of money. But the $425,000,000 in profits is a little more. Square Enix currently opperates on a yearly budgent of rougly 80 billion yen (or about 690 million dollars). That means the release of this one game and its sales over say...two years, would be equal to 2/3 of their YEARLY budget off ONE game. My question...why isn't Square doing this RIGHT NOW!?

crayzee gamr
06-25-2006, 03:30 PM
I wish it was for ps2 then i'd buy it. but becuz it is for ps3 I'll stick with the original.

darkchrono
06-25-2006, 05:17 PM
There is no need to remake it when people can still play the game on the current systems (i.e. you can still play playstation games on the ps3 systems).

When they start making games non-playstation compatible then I believe you will see a re-make.

Mirage
06-25-2006, 06:03 PM
I disagree.
THere are plenty of FF7 fans that also are graphic whores. Additionally, there are a lot of people who simply don't like older games because they look crappy. Also, you have a lot of people who are just FF fanatics, or just collectors, who would get it no matter what.

Hambone
06-25-2006, 07:56 PM
There is no need to remake it when people can still play the game on the current systems (i.e. you can still play playstation games on the ps3 systems).

When they start making games non-playstation compatible then I believe you will see a re-make.
Do you have any idea how rare and expensive FFVII is now a days!? I LOVE the idea of a FFVII remake for the PS3. BUT, whether or not I buy it depends on if I have a PS3. $500.00~ Let's see... If I make 9 dollars a week in allowance and stop spending it for a while, I get roughly $200 for my birthday which is at the end of September, $200.00 Christmas, Then I should be able to afford it by... January or February of next year! :D

Mirage
06-25-2006, 08:46 PM
You should just wait for atleast half a year anyway. First, it'll be less bug-ridden. Second, it'll be cheaper.

Hambone
06-25-2006, 08:49 PM
When is it coming out?

Mirage
06-25-2006, 10:13 PM
Lol, its production isn't even official.
Or do you mean the PS3? 17th November this year.

Hambone
06-25-2006, 10:26 PM
Yeah. I meant the PS3.

darkchrono
06-26-2006, 12:05 AM
Well usually when it is still expensive that means that it is still selling well which would mean there is no need to do a re-make of it.

I am sure you can go to a place where they sell used games and get it at a fairly cheap price.

Serapy
06-26-2006, 12:47 AM
Who cares if remake is not much needed? Because this could be a BIG profit for Square-Enix, which can help them developing more FF games.

If you people said "I disagree, remake is not needed", look at this statement. IF the remake of FF7 came out, I'm pretty sure you all will buy it, no matter what :)

darkchrono
06-26-2006, 01:10 AM
Not necessarily. You have to remember that this is a final fantasy website. So you can't assume that just because everyone on this website (or at least the ff7 fans) would go crazy over a re-make that everyone who plays video games (or rpg's) would.

The majority of people who played final fantasy 7 when it first came out (or close to the time it came out) probably do not even play video games anymore.

Don't make the misconception that this website is the entire world.

2of9
06-26-2006, 11:32 PM
i would buy the remake ff7...who wouldnt who last played it? i'd buy another one just incase that 1st disc broke too!

Alive-Cat
06-27-2006, 05:52 PM
It is confuzzling that Square Enix are not making a remake, or haven't yet. That's a hell of a lot of money Square would make out of an FFVII remake, so I think they're crazy for not doing it.

Jessweeee♪
06-27-2006, 10:20 PM
I don't think the ps3 is going to go over so well. First off, $500 is an outrageous price. If I had $500 I'd spend it on something more important. Secondly they'll only have 2 million units available when it's released.

As for a remake, if they made it now, it would be pretty glitchy because they're just getting a hold of the ps3 so it may take awhile to figure out how to avoid that sort of thing.

darkchrono
06-28-2006, 12:57 AM
How much did the ps2 originally sell for.

Hambone
06-28-2006, 08:06 AM
I think $250.00. Yay! I'm getting a PS3 for Christmas! (If they stick to the Nov. 17 release date.) I'll have to pitch in like 250.00 for it though and it's still not gonna be released for a while though, but hey! I'm still getting a PS3! *does PS3 victory dance*

stragee
06-28-2006, 09:24 AM
Actually sin this was already confirmed ...but I have no intentions on buying that overpriced ps3...

http://www.gamersreports.com/grimages/996/1148064887/3/1/gr.image.jpg

Also confirming this was BEST BUY slipping out the release date for it. :P Which the actual date may or may not become reality. But I highly doubt Best Buy would even place anything on their site without *some good resoarce.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3151509&did=2

Okay maybe confirmed is a bit too strong of word to use...how bout all signs are pointing in that direction?

Zeromus_X
06-28-2006, 09:32 AM
No, it was never confirmed.

Anyway, I'm sure there are enough fans that would buy a remake, as there are people that utterly dislike the game. I certainly am not going to buy a PS3 right at launch, especially if it's so expensive and with inevitable first-release bugs, etc.

vorpal blade
06-28-2006, 10:45 AM
I thought the PS3 was $600 (but that might just be the entire PS3 package, with the chrome thingy). I'm not getting one for a few years, at least. I will get one, tough (need FFXIII!)
And while a PS3 FFVII would make a huge amount of money, it would also cost a huge amount of money and time. And given the recent onslaught of FFVII titles (AC, DOC, CC, AC) there's little doubt in my mind that we'll all see a remake eventually, but we'll have to wait a while. A long while. And I would reserve a copy the second I can.

Hambone
06-28-2006, 11:55 PM
I'm gonna be a retard and buy the PS3 right when it comes out because... honestly, I can't take the wait any longer. Besides, there are probably gonna be a lot of great PS3games besides the FFVII remake. (which probably won't even be released) So, pity me.

Sinistrad
06-29-2006, 08:30 AM
PS2 launched at $300 with nothing but a controller and still sold a rediculous number of units, and this was coming off of a time when people were used to paying less than $200 for a new system such at the Playstation, the N64, and Dreamcast. (The PS2 launched over a year before XBox and Gamecube. And yet...they saw record sales. If I were Sony, I'd look at that, and think much the same. A $600 price tag isn't going to make a difference to the people that want it. And the fact is, they're expensive to make. It's not like Sony is making money off the console. So, minimal lost sales with opening price, and more people will buy it as the price drops. It's just too bad for us that Sony doesn't have the backing capital Microsoft does to take a huge loss on each system they sell...

And that's why Microsoft is evil.

Sinistrad
06-29-2006, 08:36 AM
Oh, also, tack on another $23,000,000 to profits in my original post. Apparently PS3 games will be $60 in the US. o.O!

Hambone
06-29-2006, 08:39 AM
Eh? $60!? MAN! Oh well, looks like I'm gonna own about 10 games for it then. or not. i'm loaded in allowance right now and all I have to do is keep saving. it shpuldn't be much of a problem.

starseeker
06-29-2006, 09:23 AM
Just to point something out. VII is neither rare nor expensive. I picked up my copy second hand for a fiver (£5).
The issue is with how long the remake would take to make. I think it was quoted as taking 5 years because there is more detail, which requires more people and more time to do.

Marly
06-29-2006, 08:42 PM
They're selling new copies of VII for £16 on amazon.co.uk. Wouldnt say that's too expensive.

I hope they make a remake of it, though I doubt they will. I don't think they will make too much money from it, yes, fans of the game will buy it, and maybe some others, but I can't see it attracting buyers by huge numbers.

Hambone
06-30-2006, 12:54 AM
They're selling new copies of VII for £16 on amazon.co.uk. Wouldnt say that's too expensive.
I just checked to see if that was true. It says used and new from $65.00. :confused:

Silent Warrior
06-30-2006, 07:00 AM
For the PC-version, it isn't necessary. There are fan-made 'patches' that bump the resolution, higher-fidelity fight-models have been made to appear on the world-map and on those 2D pre-rendered locations. There's also a hack for changing the music to MP3, or whatever plug-in you want to borrow from Winamp.
I guess it's a different story for the PSX-version, but this is where the PC really shines. :tongue:

Marly
07-06-2006, 01:07 PM
I just checked to see if that was true. It says used and new from $65.00. :confused:

Errr....unless I'm thinking of the wrong thing? http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00004UC4G/026-0835810-4610034?v=glance&n=300703

a whole pound cheaper than I orignally thought.

Hambone
07-06-2006, 06:33 PM

Errr....unless I'm thinking of the wrong thing? http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00004UC4G/026-0835810-4610034?v=glance&n=300703

a whole pound cheaper than I orignally thought.
Oh. I don't use amazon. u.k. I'm American.

RyanML
07-07-2006, 01:59 AM
it would be good if they did remake it, ill be honust when i first started playing ff7 like 3 years ago i couldnt get on with it because of the graphics ... take the piss whatever i dont care, but not long back i got over it and played it and did enjoy it, if it was remade with awesome graphics it probably would be the best game ever.. and i certainly would buy a copy

Black Magician
07-16-2006, 07:52 AM
alright i talked w/ a guy frm an eb store, and he told me: "square-enix sends out 1000's of e-mails everyday 2 people who ask about this remake and they all say no." but he only was a dude who worked at eb, so... it was probably a lie....

Dr. Acula
07-24-2006, 08:58 AM
If they DO remake ff7 on ps3, I'd like them to add in more choices. I mean, before Aeris died you could go on a date with either Aeris, Tifa, Yuffie, or even Barret (from what I've heard) but when Aeris died the whole concept of these choices did too. I reckon you should still be able to flirt with Tifa or Yuffie and go on dates with them!!!