PDA

View Full Version : Computer problem

Killy
06-26-2006, 12:11 AM
I have recently rebuild my Grandfather's old computer. Unfortunatly I did not bother to boot it up before "messing" with it, so I have no idea if the problem was created through transport of simply by y fault.

The problem is: the computer will not start up, as in it looks like there is no power reaching the computer.

However, the power cord was taken from another computer since I do not have the original, I assumed these things were standart but if it is not the case, it could be the problem.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: The things I plugged back in are PCI cards (Wireless card, USB ports) and in some other bigger slot, sound card.

Samuraid
06-26-2006, 06:06 AM
Make sure you try swapping in a power cord you know works, just to make sure.

After that, ensure that the connectors from the power supply are securely connected to the motherboard and that the little wire from the from-panel power switch is connected to the correct pins on the motherboard.

If that doesn't resolve the problem, you could try swapping in a different power supply. The problem could also be a bad motherboard, but it's most likely one of the previous things I mentioned.

Killy
06-26-2006, 07:34 PM
After checking the cord, I removed the front panel to see if it was correctly pugged to the motherboard, it was. However to do this I had to unscrew quite a few things to get there. I then noticed that the green power led was lit. I tried the switch again and it worked.

Another problem now...

Is there any known issue with copy and paste in firefox, it works about 1/2 the time but I do not notice such a problem anywhere else.

Samuraid
06-27-2006, 01:45 AM
I don't know if it's a known issue, but I've certainly had problems with it as well. Also, it sometimes enters the search box if you type / or '

Yamaneko
06-27-2006, 01:49 AM
There's a bug in Firefox where it will interpret any keystroke as a search item, even if you're typing within a field. All you have to do is exit Firefox and launch it again and it should be fine.

The copy/paste thing also happens too.

crono_logical
06-27-2006, 12:40 PM
I have an easier way to get around that search bug when it occasionally affects me - remove focus from Firefox's window then return to it (I usually hit the Winkey twice to open/close the Start Menu) - much faster, plus I like to keep my firefox sessions open for the duration of my boot time :p