PDA

View Full Version : Something I've always been confused about...

Dr. Casey
06-26-2006, 04:45 AM
Did the world used to be black and white? I mean... in every old picture I've seen, there's no color at all. 0_o

Psychotic
06-26-2006, 04:52 AM
Yes, Dr. Casey. Yes it did.

To add a topic, what things have you always been confused about?

(oops accidentally closed this. Pretend you didn't notice. :D)

Jojee
06-26-2006, 04:54 AM
Aww this reminds me of a comic in my Calvin & Hobbes book! ^-^ I would scan it but have no access to a scanner right now~

Calvin: How come old photographs are always black and white? Didn't they have color film back then?

Dad: Sure they did. In fact, those old photographs are in color. It's just that the world was black and white then. The world didn't turn color until sometime in the 1930s, and it was pretty grainy color for a while, too.

Calvin: That's really weird.

Dad: Well, truth is stranger than fiction.

Calvin: But then why are old paintings in color?! If the world was black and white, wouldn't artists have painted it that way?

Dad: Not necessarily. A lot of great artists were insane.

Calvin: But... But how could they have painted in color anyway? Wouldn't their paints have been shades of gray back then?

Dad: Of course, but they turned colors like everything else did in the '30s.

Calvin: So why didn't old black and white photos turn color too?

Dad: Because they were color pictures of black and white, remember?

---

I love Calvin & Hobbes <3

Edit: It's so much better if you see Calvin's expressions :(

SammieBabe
06-26-2006, 04:56 AM
I've come to the conclusion that there are, in fact, stupid questions.

Thank you for clearing that up for me, Dr. Casey...:)

mooglebunni608
06-26-2006, 05:03 AM
no, it wasn't black and white. It was orange and purple. I think it's changed for the better.

Hambone
06-26-2006, 05:15 AM
I've always been confused by the fact that cockroaches can live for 9 days without a head! :D

Roto13
06-26-2006, 06:33 AM
I'm not good with apostraphies. Well, I am, but not when there's an "s" attached.

Reine
06-26-2006, 06:57 AM
I have always been confused as to why im so charismatic, despite the fact that im a boring person in reality.

mooglebunni608
06-26-2006, 07:13 AM
I've always been confused by the fact that cockroaches can live for 9 days without a head! :D
yeah, I've wondered the same about chickens XD

DeathKnight
06-26-2006, 08:08 AM

Slade
06-26-2006, 08:34 AM
So your telling me that it WASN'T black and white back in the old days?

My parents LIED to me? :cry:

Christmas
06-26-2006, 10:50 AM
Only white no black. Until someone unleash black out of the box.

Old Manus
06-26-2006, 10:52 AM
Just like gravity didn't exist until Newton discovered it.

EDIT: Actually... (http://uk.gamespot.com/ps2/adventure/okami/index.html?q=okami)

Captain Maxx Power
06-26-2006, 11:41 AM
Yeah it was. But we all got around to colouring it in with felt tips and crayons a while ago. If you use a rubber you can actually rub colours off people. Go on, give it a try.

drunkymonkey
06-26-2006, 07:41 PM
I used to think like that when I was a very small child. I wonder if there would still be race riots...

Dixie
06-26-2006, 07:45 PM
Aww this reminds me of a comic in my Calvin & Hobbes book! ^-^ I would scan it but have no access to a scanner right now~

Calvin: How come old photographs are always black and white? Didn't they have color film back then?

Dad: Sure they did. In fact, those old photographs are in color. It's just that the world was black and white then. The world didn't turn color until sometime in the 1930s, and it was pretty grainy color for a while, too.

Calvin: That's really weird.

Dad: Well, truth is stranger than fiction.

Calvin: But then why are old paintings in color?! If the world was black and white, wouldn't artists have painted it that way?

Dad: Not necessarily. A lot of great artists were insane.

Calvin: But... But how could they have painted in color anyway? Wouldn't their paints have been shades of gray back then?

Dad: Of course, but they turned colors like everything else did in the '30s.

Calvin: So why didn't old black and white photos turn color too?

Dad: Because they were color pictures of black and white, remember?

---

I love Calvin & Hobbes <3

Edit: It's so much better if you see Calvin's expressions :(I have that comic in one of my books. I miss Calvin and Hobbes.

I've been confused about math. I still don't know why Pi is 3.14...

Yuffie514
06-26-2006, 08:07 PM
no. i have um, tannish-like skin.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
06-26-2006, 08:18 PM
I believe there were shades of grey back in the roaring twenties. I am also inclined to believe that some olden pictures had different tones of black and white (i.e. some had a tint of brown or blue in them).

What confuses me as of the last minute is
Is Dr. Casey a real doctor?

RPJesus
06-26-2006, 08:31 PM
It used to be black and white. :eep: But, oooaah, then suddenly it wasn't good enough (with me cockney stylings)! No, colour was good, an' the oal black and white was forgotten (along with burlesque and suches).

We're traitors. Traitors to the old ways! But now we have, fighting for the respect of those old times, The Hives (http://img.timeinc.net/teenpeople/images/2005/access/120605_hives320.jpg)! 'Black and white in a world of colour'! They're still living in the 30s, and I'll be damned if they aren't Gods for that!

Moon Rabbits
06-26-2006, 08:50 PM
I've come to the conclusion that there are, in fact, stupid questions.

Thank you for clearing that up for me, Dr. Casey...:)

SammieBabe made me giggle. A+!

Dignified Pauper
06-26-2006, 08:54 PM
Only white no black. Until someone unleash black out of the box.

I CRIED ALOUD WITH MERRIMENT AND MIRTH!

i used to think that there were little men that lived in the electricity wires and that transformers and traffic lights were cities.

Resha
06-26-2006, 08:57 PM
I'm always very confused about the words to "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" :confused: I can never, EVER get it right. :/ I have a strange mangled version of my own, though.

drunkymonkey
06-26-2006, 08:58 PM
I believe there were shades of grey back in the roaring twenties. I am also inclined to believe that some olden pictures had different tones of black and white (i.e. some had a tint of brown or blue in them).

What confuses me as of the last minute is
Is Dr. Casey a real doctor?
Of course.

Tavrobel
06-26-2006, 09:00 PM
:(I have that comic in one of my books. I miss Calvin and Hobbes.
Calvin and Hobbes is the greatest comic ever.

I've been confused about math. I still don't know why Pi is 3.14...

Trigonometry ftw. Everyone hates Radians and anything that has to do with it.

I've been confused about alot of stuff throughout life.

Tasura
06-26-2006, 09:34 PM
There was a movie about a black and white world, and when people got an orignal idea or inspiration they got coloured in, and ahted by the black and white people =/

Jojee
06-27-2006, 05:58 AM
Right now I'm kinda confused about where that thread about infared saunas went... :p That was pretty weird and amusing.

eestlinc
06-27-2006, 06:06 AM
it got moved, perhaps.

i first thought of that great Calvis and Hobbes cartoon as well.

Mitch
06-27-2006, 06:15 AM
I just generally walk around confused a lot

Doesn't mix well with exams

Leeza
06-27-2006, 06:33 AM
And I always thought that the world used to be Sepia. :cat: