PDA

View Full Version : Smaller PS2

Erdrick Holmes
06-26-2006, 05:03 AM
Im thinking of investing in a slimline PS2, but I need some info on it. I heard it has a flip top for inserting discs like the PS1. Does it have that, and is it spring loaded like the PS1's top? Meaning I don't have to have it turned on or plugged in to open it?

Im trying to know this so I can use boot discs on it to play import games on it without having to use slide tools or 3rd party flip tops like on the old PS2 to use swap magic.

Reine
06-26-2006, 05:05 AM
Ah, yes, it does have a lid like that. So thats what you meant in chat.

I havent tested one to see if it can be opened without being powered up

Ichimonji
06-26-2006, 05:17 AM
It is a flip-top lid and it doesn't have to be powered up to have it opened. The slim PS2 is a good investment, as it works so much better and smoother than the bulky PS2. No more bugs to be worried about, all the media will work fine. However it does heat up quicker than the bulky PS2, but that's really nothing to worry about at all. You can leave the slim on for 24 hours straight and nothing will happen.

Kirobaito
06-26-2006, 05:45 AM
I'm also thinking of investing in a slimline. My current PS2 that I've owned for 5 years has started Disc Read Error-ing again, for the third time, and Sony won't fix it for free this time and I don't want to risk completely screwing the thing up by opening it. Do the new ones do that as often as the old ones do? I can get past the problem by Diagnosis every time I want to play a game, but that's a real hassle, and it's only $130. Is it worth getting a new one just for this?

EDIT: Apparently, the flip-down lid allows you to clean the lens without voiding your warranty or opening the thing up. Is that true? I never owned a PS1, so I'm not up to date on these things.

Reine
06-26-2006, 05:58 AM
Im getting my silver slimline mainly for the LCD screen attachment, and because my silver bulky one is starting to bug out. Being able to play the PS2 in the lounge where the fireplace is, being able to play it next to this PC....that will be awesome..

Samuraid
06-26-2006, 06:22 AM
Im trying to know this so I can use boot discs on it to play import games on it without having to use slide tools or 3rd party flip tops like on the old PS2 to use swap magic.
Yes, one of my roommates has a slimline PS2 and he uses a swap disc with it flawlessly.

Dreddz
06-26-2006, 01:35 PM
Stay with the original PS2, both consoles are pretty much the same but the smaller version heats up alot.

Tidus Andronicus
06-26-2006, 01:55 PM
Yah, if you have the original, keep it. It works better, and runs games better... and doesn't overheat as much. Even if they laser needs to be cleaned, you can always buy a laser lens cleaning disc (its like a CD with a brush on it xD)

The original version is easier to mod too, if I remember correctly... Which makes it more valuable in the homebrew days to come.

Reine
06-26-2006, 01:55 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_2

Shows the lid right there...

~SapphireStar~
06-26-2006, 05:00 PM
My brothers got one, he adores it and said its perfect if your going to a friends house with it cause it takes up no room in your bag and isnt heavy as the bigger PS2. I may get one because my old PS2 is dying.