PDA

View Full Version : Metal Gear series: Say I'm not the only one

Captain Maxx Power
06-26-2006, 09:53 PM
Please, please, please say that it's not some defect in my system that I abhore the Metal Gear series of games. Playing through them is painful. The gameplay, if you can call it that, is terrible and doesn't compare to the stealth in other games (the Thief series, Deus Ex, heck even Beyond Good and Evil had better stealth sections!). The plot is like a sub-par Steven Segal movie with atrocious acting to boot. What people see in these games is beyond me. I spent two quid on Metal Gear Solid 2 and I still feel ripped off (to put it into perspective I could have easily picked up the penneys on the floor around the shop where I bought it and have had enough funds left over for a Kit Kat Chunky). Maybe I'm missing a trick here, some diamond section that makes these games so damn popular. Or maybe I can shove it alongside the GTA games as series that I'll just never "get".

Kawaii Ryűkishi
06-26-2006, 10:02 PM
It's definitely a problem on your end.

nik0tine
06-26-2006, 10:04 PM
Yeah, I'd say there's something wrong with you. You might want to consider psychological evaluation.

Cz
06-26-2006, 10:13 PM
Or maybe I can shove it alongside the GTA games as series that I'll just never "get".Sounds good to me. I really can't see where you're coming from on this one, but if you don't enjoy the series, that's no problem of mine.

Dreddz
06-26-2006, 10:18 PM
At the end of the day, your the one who misses out. Meh.

drunkymonkey
06-26-2006, 10:21 PM
I didn't like MGS3. It was an innovative game, but the ideas were not implemented well at all. I hope that MGS4 will be a big improvement to satisfy my MGS2 expectations.

Old Manus
06-26-2006, 10:31 PM
PsychiatricUnit4u :mog:

Roto13
06-26-2006, 11:00 PM
Yep. You need help. That's all there is to it.

Sephex
06-27-2006, 02:50 AM
I don't know, I love the games. You don't have to feel obligated to like it just because everyone else does. I never saw the big deal about the Splinter Cell series. Some games just don't mix with some people.

Roto13
06-27-2006, 03:19 AM
I never saw the big deal about the Splinter Cell series.
That's because Spliter Cell sucks.

Madame Adequate
06-27-2006, 03:30 AM

No.

And also: MGS is somewhat overrated, but it is not a bad game by any standard of measurement. And if it's not to your taste, well that's your business, but in all honestly it sux 2 b u.

Sylvie
06-27-2006, 03:50 AM
I've hardly played Metal Gear and I love it. I'd say you got teh problum, dood.

Shiny
06-27-2006, 03:59 AM

No.

And also: MGS is somewhat overrated, but it is not a bad game by any standard of measurement. And if it's not to your taste, well that's your business, but in all honestly it sux 2 b u.
No is correct. Splinter Cell rules! I like the Metal Gear Solid Series, but Metal Gear Solid 3 seemed to be more of an interactive movie then a game.

DeathKnight
06-27-2006, 05:00 AM
Yeah, I'd say there's something wrong with you. You might want to consider psychological evaluation.

NeoCracker
06-27-2006, 06:00 AM
I hated the MGS too, but just cause its my kind of game. Obviously not as much as you though.

Markus. D
06-27-2006, 10:15 AM
whatever snopes your snoper.

whats a snoper?

Malboro_Menace
06-27-2006, 11:52 AM

Too true, too true. Splinter Cell just plain sucks.

I wouldn't know about MGS, never played it. Want to though.

~SapphireStar~
06-27-2006, 11:58 AM
If we dont hear from you in the next few days, we know the Capcom police and the MGS fans have gotten you ... Run.

Captain Maxx Power
06-27-2006, 12:07 PM
EDIT: Decided to remove the previous message since I know someone's going to get ansy about it. In short, I'm none to pleased with the responses in this thread.

Markus. D
06-27-2006, 12:12 PM
some games suck to some, some games have some indaviduals claim fanboyism, which is a lesser thing I say about EoFF.

GOSH its nothing special.

metal gear acid was probably the only fun one for me.

drunkymonkey
06-27-2006, 12:24 PM

Too true, too true. Splinter Cell just plain sucks.

I wouldn't know about MGS, never played it. Want to though.LOL I played a couple of levels on Splinter Cell, and I was like 'when does the fun start?' It just felt clunky and uninspired.

JKTrix
06-27-2006, 02:33 PM
It's all preference. If you don't 'get' a game, it doesn't mean it sucks. I know several people who don't like the Metroid/Castlevania 2D games. They're great games, but just not their taste.
Metal Gear's control system is pretty complex, especially if most of your gaming career is RPGs where you just push one button. I first played MGS2 on my Xbox and hated it, mostly because it was so hard. I came back to it a long time afterwards (after finishing Ninja Gaiden), and had a blast with it.

I'm sure there are more people who don't like Metal Gear, so you're not the only one.

Roto13
06-27-2006, 04:39 PM
It's all preference. If you don't 'get' a game, it doesn't mean it sucks. I know several people who don't like the Metroid/Castlevania 2D games. They're great games, but just not their taste.
You're talking about me, aren't you? :p

YTDN
06-27-2006, 07:07 PM
I don't see why your all so mean. I've never played MGS myself, but if it's not his cup of tea, then that's has choice.

Skyblade
06-27-2006, 07:24 PM
Well, I only played the original Metal Gear, and the gameplay on that one was pretty terrible (not really surprising, really). But I haven't played any of the others, so I'm not sure how the games might have improved once they got to Metal Gear Solid and the later games.

Levian
06-27-2006, 08:34 PM
I only ever tried Metal Gear Solid, and I found it somewhat boring. Which is why I never tried any of the other games in the Metal Gear series. GTA series I like, though.

drunkymonkey
06-27-2006, 08:35 PM
I don't know what's not amusing about shooting melons, hiding people in lockers, throwing them from large heights, making guards pee themselves, and kicking young women in the face. It's just awesome.

But GTA is an excellent game too. Specially Vice City. Best one in the series by far.

Roto13
06-27-2006, 08:40 PM
I didn't like the original Metal Gear Solid, either. But I did like MEtal Gear Solid 2. I also liked the remake of 1, The Twin Snakes. :)

Outer Heaven
06-27-2006, 08:48 PM
I don't know what's not amusing about shooting melons, hiding people in lockers, throwing them from large heights, making guards pee themselves, and kicking young women in the face. It's just awesome.

Thats one reason why I still play Metal Gear Solid.

But enough about the MGS series what about the Metal Gear series, the originals!!!???

They totally blow MGS away!

drunkymonkey
06-27-2006, 08:54 PM

But enough about the MGS series what about the Metal Gear series, the originals!!!???

They totally blow MGS away!LOL. I haven't played them, but if they were anything like the Gameboy Colour version, they sucked.

Outer Heaven
06-27-2006, 08:57 PM

They totally blow MGS away!LOL. I haven't played them, but if they were anything like the Gameboy Colour version, they sucked.

Of course they are like Gameboy. But they are fun!:D

Reine
06-28-2006, 03:17 PM
I found the game boring, and the controls crap.

So im with you Maxx.

Craig
06-28-2006, 03:56 PM
guyz dis iz a srius situsion y r u al bein so crzy

KentaRawr!
06-28-2006, 05:20 PM
You're talking about me, aren't you? :p

Yep. You need help. That's all there is to it.

I agree with everyone else. It's not like it's a bad game, it's just that you don't like it. :p

Croyles
06-29-2006, 02:05 AM
I could never get into MGS, the third one just screamed "Hey watch these japanese movies and buy these japanese foods, while your at it go visit japan and meet the great japanese people. Dont forget to try the Ramen!"

I dont hate it, I just dont find it very interesting.

I love Splinter Cell, but i can only play them once, they have no replay value for me.

Dignified Pauper
06-29-2006, 02:13 AM
http://litwack.org/wp-content/uploads/Metal_Gear_NES_ScreenShot2.jpg

<3

NorthernChaosGod
07-02-2006, 12:04 AM
Definately something wrong on your end there buddy. :cool:

Elite Lord Sigma
07-02-2006, 06:59 AM
Heh, I really don't play stealth-action games...except for Second Sight, which is currently lost at my friend's house. But anyway, I'm sure you aren't alone, Captain. I really don't get why GTA is so popular myself, along with possibly Gauntlet.

GTA: Grab gun, go on shooting spree, get killed by cops/helicopter, wake up in hospital, repeat

Gauntlet: Kill, and kill, and kill, and kill!

Lawr
07-03-2006, 02:33 PM
GTA is fun because you can take out your anger
on the people.

If you like Splinter Cell. Get help.
If you are a Pirate Red Mage but hate MGS anything. Get more help.

Big D
07-06-2006, 06:13 AM
I can see why people mightn't like the MGS series, though it's one of my personal favourites. Not playing the games in order could be problematic, though - playing MGS2 first plunges the player right into an on-going plot that's too heavily linked to the original MGS, and it's also (in my opinion) a little pretentious and fond of its own complexity. MGS3, while with a more separate story, is intended as a prequel; it also has more complex gameplay than the earlier titles.

DK
07-06-2006, 06:20 AM
Pretty much your loss at the end of the day, 'cause the MGS games have all been extremely enjoyable to me, even if MGS2 totally went to crap in the last hour or so of the game.

drunkymonkey
07-06-2006, 10:34 AM
The best part of MGS2 was Snake's mission, by far.

Madame Adequate
07-06-2006, 01:04 PM
Pretty much your loss at the end of the day, 'cause the MGS games have all been extremely enjoyable to me, even if MGS2 totally went to crap in the last hour or so of the game.

No wai! That part was the best! I did the last part of the game like six times to try and make sense of it! How's that for replayability?

DK
07-06-2006, 02:12 PM
I made sense of it, I just thought it was stupid. It had been so promising with the Katana, too. :(

Alixsar
07-06-2006, 10:53 PM
100% your loss.

Shoeberto
07-06-2006, 11:14 PM
No is correct. Splinter Cell rules! I like the Metal Gear Solid Series, but Metal Gear Solid 3 seemed to be more of an interactive movie then a game.
That's the feeling I got from MGS, both the original and remake. I thought maybe it was just over ambitious developers making the characters longwinded in the remake, so I tried the original, and it still was very much movie-like.

The gameplay is so good, but they just don't feature enough of it compared to how much story they throw to you in terms of cutscenes. It's a lot like Xenosaga in that regard, but with actually enjoyable gameplay, so it's a pity that they spend so much time giving you cutscenes as opposed to actually allowing you to play the game.