PDA

View Full Version : Digipak CDs.

Chris
06-27-2006, 04:14 PM
A lot of older CDs are being re-released as Digipak, but for what reason? I have quite a few Digipak CDs but I find them terribly impractical.

You slide the CD out of the Digipak, but the CD always scratches on the inside of the Digipak.

Sure, the covers look a lot better, and you don't have to change the cover when it's broken, but is the sound better than regular CDs? I can't really tell a difference.

Samuraid
06-28-2006, 01:16 AM
Digipaks don't scratch CDs. They have a normal plastic CD spindle and shell glued to the cardboard.

The real offenders are the cardboard/paper sleeves; those scratch CDs. (not including Tyvek sleeves)

Chris
06-28-2006, 01:26 AM
Digipaks don't scratch CDs. They have a normal plastic CD spindle and shell glued to the cardboard.

The real offenders are the cardboard/paper sleeves; those scratch CDs. (not including Tyvek sleeves)
I have a couple of those as well. But I thought both of them were called "Digipaks?" But just different kinds.

I hate those, but I still buy them for the covers.

:(

Samuraid
06-28-2006, 02:50 AM
Digipaks are specifically what I mentioned before. Some people do refer to the fancier cardboard sleeves as digipaks as well, but they really aren't. (At least not that I know of, and I've worked at a CD manufacturing broker before and helped package digipaks)

Yeah, I personally like the sturdy jewel cases, but a few CDs I've purchased have been in the sleeves and now the CD surface has some wear and tear. :( I guess aesthetic sells better than practical. The album art does look pretty though.

jrgen
06-28-2006, 05:33 AM
I love digipaks. They look much better than jewel cases and they don't break as easily.

eestlinc
06-28-2006, 06:21 AM
i don't see how the digipak would affect the sound quality of the recording.