PDA

View Full Version : NFL Head Coach

Strider
06-27-2006, 07:23 PM
So I was curious to see if anyone else has bought this game yet. I'd say it's alright, I guess, a little tedious at times, but I'm still in the preseason gettin' the boys ready for 17 weeks. Even so, it feels like I spend a ton of time in meetings, which isn't really that fun.

Anyone else got an opinion?

darkchrono
07-01-2006, 07:17 PM
That is why I don't think I will get it and why I don't think this type of sports game will take off. Because the game isn't really about the actual game at all it is about preparing your team for the game.

Some people like that type of thing to a certain degree and for those people Madden offers a mode where you can control that type of stuff (not to the extent that NFL Head Coach does of course) and they can play the game as well.

Maybe possibly this type of game can take off if they give these games some out of this world gameplay. But from what I read on review sites NFL Head Coach has a few pretty big chinks in the armor of its gameplay.

Who wants to spend all that time just preparing your team for the game when your quarterback will consistently go and throw five interceptions a game no matter how well you prepare him.

Strider
07-01-2006, 07:19 PM
On the other hand, it is nice to be able to draft Reggie Bush. :D

edczxcvbnm
07-01-2006, 07:29 PM
I am very interested in this game because I could care less about actually playing the football side of and Madden game(Madden sucks). I always liked doing the owner mode or franchise mode and just trading players around to make a better team and let the computer take them to victory!

I will give this game a shot but I am not dropping 50 bones on this.

darkchrono
07-01-2006, 10:01 PM
The thing about it though ed. is that the trading and drafting of players isn't even the tip of the ice-berg in regards to how deep you have to go to run your team in NFL Head Coach.

You have to run all your practices every single day. You have to run all your meetings every single day. You have to plan out all your practices for any particular day. You have to plan out all your meetings for any various day. You have to plan out the gameplan for the game you are about ready to play. You have to call all your plays from the sideline and watch the computer play it out. You have to make changes to the gameplan during the course of the game.

And that my friend is just the tip of the ice-berg. It probably goes about ten times deeper than that if not more-so.

You see why I said that I don't think this type of sports franchise will take-off unless they put in some killer gameplay.

Strider
07-01-2006, 10:14 PM
Well, you don't have to run every single one, but I notice players get hurt when you start simming that stuff. Andy Lee got hurt and now I need another punter. :(

I really don't bother with anything but calling the games now that I'm in the midst of the preseason and the coaches' meeting every week, but I'm hoping it gets a little more interesting soon.

edczxcvbnm
07-02-2006, 06:57 AM
The thing about it though ed. is that the trading and drafting of players isn't even the tip of the ice-berg in regards to how deep you have to go to run your team in NFL Head Coach.

You have to run all your practices every single day. You have to run all your meetings every single day. You have to plan out all your practices for any particular day. You have to plan out all your meetings for any various day. You have to plan out the gameplan for the game you are about ready to play. You have to call all your plays from the sideline and watch the computer play it out. You have to make changes to the gameplan during the course of the game.

And that my friend is just the tip of the ice-berg. It probably goes about ten times deeper than that if not more-so.

You see why I said that I don't think this type of sports franchise will take-off unless they put in some killer gameplay.

Wait? I have to watch the football game be played? That sucks. I just want to draft, trade, sign, pick game plans, set vending prices, get local contracts, set basics for practice. Calling plays is just beyond me. I might as well get madden.

I started a new game in NBA 2K1...my franchise has 7 players rated 90+ and the other 5 are rated 80+ and I still have loads of cap room. I do tons of trading and sim the season out then start again. 5 straight championships and counting.

darkchrono
07-08-2006, 12:12 AM
Lol, well you might as well skip the NFL Head Coach game then ed.

As what you just described is probably only about 10% of what you have to do in the game.

You're right you are probably better off just sticking with the Madden series from what you just described. Or if you are into college football the new college football game comes out in about a week and half. And it is generally always pretty good.