PDA

View Full Version : Shadow of The Colossus!

Croyles
06-28-2006, 11:56 PM
I played this game a couple of months ago, and oh my god it is brilliant!
Its a really simple game, its just 16 (or 18? i dont remember) boss fights and everything else is just travelling in between. There is virtually no story, and the end just makes you go "wtf??!!", but its still really good.
The boss fights are magnificent and you really have to work hard to find their weak points everytime. They take around 20 - 40 minutes each without restarting. You dont understand how long it took me to beat the final boss though!
Its not just fun, the game is beautiful. Even though while your not fighting all your doing is travelling, you get to see the huuuuge country and the movement of the horse is just brilliant.
It might not be your type of game, it definitely was mine though.

Who else has played it?

Venom
06-28-2006, 11:59 PM
A friend of mine let me borrow it, But It got kinda boring seeing as it was mostly traveling.

Psychotic
06-29-2006, 12:09 AM
It's alright. The travelling bit, while somewhat interesting at first, gets pretty old quickly. The gameplay is extremely limited, to be honest, although some may claim that it is innovative, and therefore superior, although I would argue that innovation does not necessarily equal brilliance.

The boss fights very clever, and tricky. I loved the battle in the desert against that flying worm thing, that was fantastic. :D However, a couple of them do get tedious, such as Colossus number nine, where you have to lure a huge beast which constantly fires insanely powerful lasers onto some geysers, and it moves at 1mph.

The plot is very good, although it only really only unfolds at the end. The sound and the graphics are both sublime too.

After hearing it hyped as the greatest thing in all creation, it was something of a let-down, but if you ignore the hype, it's a fun little game. It does have absolutely no replay value (As you know how to kill every single colossus) though, so I'd recommend renting it.

Croyles
06-29-2006, 12:15 AM
Yeah it doesnt have any replay value really, and the travelling can get tiring, but I still love it simply for the boss fights, the music, and the general feel to the game.
With a patient gamer like myself, I really enjoyed the game as more of an artistic experience than a pick-up-and-play sort of game. I just get goosebumps when I fight those bosses, especially that desert one Psychotic mentioned.

Everyone told me that the colossi were huge before I played, but you'll be surprised how huge no matter what!

EDIT: Just found this review. It sums it up perfectly I think:
http://uk.gamespot.com/ps2/adventure/wandaandthecolossus/review.html?page=1&q=&q=

Tidus Andronicus
06-29-2006, 12:46 AM
Definantly an awesome game, in both gameplay and artistic graphics... makes me wanna go back and play Ico.

Too bad my PS2 memory card was stolen... -_- so now i dont play my PS2 much anymore.

Croyles
06-29-2006, 03:49 AM
I kind of figured not long through playing it that Wander (the main character) wasnt doing himself any good by killing the colossi. When Dormin said at the beginning that there may be a price to pay, I was thinking of what it could mean. If you look at Wander's face after beating a couple of colossi he looks like a zombie, and thats not just bad graphics

-N-
06-29-2006, 05:20 AM
What, a spoiler tag in Shadow of the Colossus? xD

I loved this game. It's so epic and magnificent. I would have died to get a shot at composing the score to this. The battles are amazing and unbelievable, and they stretch the limits of imagination. In each of the last few battles I would die at least once just staring at the colossus. It's like Myst plus magical boss fights. God those fights are insane.

Running around the world is the other half of the joy. I was never much into video game immersion but it was impossible to resist with this one. The visual detail is so amazing. And there are a few little sidequests to help you out as well, although on Normal difficulty its not really necessary to win. But the sheer thrill of riding on the back of a galloping horse and rotating the camera ever so smoothly and seamlessly to view with wide eyes the vast landscape was priceless. It was the perfect prelude to my hiking adventures.

I heard absolutely no hype about this game at all. Necronopticous let me borrow the demo, and he was raving about it but I dismissed it because he's a loony bin, but turns out this time he was right and I loved it.

Germ Hamee
06-29-2006, 08:36 AM
Running around the world is the other half of the joy. I was never much into video game immersion but it was impossible to resist with this one. The visual detail is so amazing. And there are a few little sidequests to help you out as well, although on Normal difficulty its not really necessary to win. But the sheer thrill of riding on the back of a galloping horse and rotating the camera ever so smoothly and seamlessly to view with wide eyes the vast landscape was priceless.

That's what I have to say about all that "annoying traveling". This game was a JOY to explore. Everything was so beautiful, so real. The first twenty minutes of the game, I spent just moving the horse around, gawking at how well he's animated.

The only thing I didn't like about it was that STUPID LITTLE FRIGGEN BULL colossi. Oh my god, what an annoying little pest!

Captain Maxx Power
06-29-2006, 11:01 AM
SotC is a fantastic game, in the sense of it's cinematic interpretation. It's not the sort of game that you can play again and again (I rarely play DVD's more than once personally). However to explain just how good it's presented, my dad, who usually can't stand computer games, actually sat and watched me play the game for almost an hour. He hit the nail on the head when he said it was like watching an epic, with the tiny underdog taking on these giantic, seemingly impossible-to-kill behemoths. The plot is quite depressing in a way. I nearly always felt bad when I killed a Colossi, especially the one's who didn't attack me first. I definately want to go and play Ico at some point in the near future, since it's a kind of sequel to this game and seems to focus on the presentation of the game rather than the playability (not that it ignores it you understand).

Kawaii Ryűkishi
06-29-2006, 11:21 AM
I think it's a game you can play again and again. Besides the sheer joy of simply progressing through the main quest, there are numerous other incentives, such as beating the game in Hard Mode, acquiring all the time attack items, maxing out Wander's health and "grip gauge," and even just exploring the landscape. I'd already played the game three or four times before I noticed that huge scary tree atop Colossus #10's lair.
a Colossi"Colossi" is plural.

Captain Maxx Power
06-29-2006, 11:36 AM
It's me accent.

Dreddz
06-29-2006, 01:03 PM
I was pretty disappointed, while the game was great, it was no where near on the level that Ico was.

Carmilla
06-29-2006, 09:36 PM
I hated the game.
After running around for about 40 minutes desperately trying to find something to do, and something to fight, i sold the game.

:choc2:

Eminem's_No.1_Fan
06-29-2006, 09:44 PM
I played this game in the shop and i got really far but then the shop was clocing so i had to go:cry: .
it's still a really good game and the graphics are excellent.

Croyles
06-30-2006, 12:38 AM
I hated the game.
After running around for about 40 minutes desperately trying to find something to do, and something to fight, i sold the game.

:choc2:

You only need to point your sword and it shows you where you need to go duh. Duh. It should only take 5 minutes to get there.

Carmilla
06-30-2006, 02:53 AM
I did that. Duh. Not all the paths to them are cut and dry straight. :mog:

Moon Rabbits
06-30-2006, 05:04 AM
I've wanted to play it for awhile now.

Wasn't it made by the team that made ICO?

Germ Hamee
06-30-2006, 10:04 AM

This is what games like FFX do to people. =(

Yes, it's from the Ico people, and has more to do with Ico than just that.

Eminem's_No.1_Fan
06-30-2006, 01:07 PM

This is what games like FFX do to people. =(

Yes, it's from the Ico people, and has more to do with Ico than just that.

what do you mean?

Croyles
06-30-2006, 01:43 PM
I dont know, i found the paths pretty straight forward (not bragging here)

FlyingCow
06-30-2006, 01:47 PM
Man i loved this game but it got boring when u could beat it in 1 day;)
I f**kin hate the last Colossus.

DK
06-30-2006, 01:59 PM
The plot is quite depressing in a way. I nearly always felt bad when I killed a Colossi, especially the one's who didn't attack me first.

Yeah man, I felt bad for them when they died. They hadn't done anything, this random little punk jes' came up and started stabbing their weakpoints, and then they died. They always sounded so sad, too.

While the battles and the exploration and the world it was set in were all totally top notch, just the lack of any story points in the game to tie everything together was a big downside for me. Even if all it was was a little bit more explaination in the temple after you'd killed one, it would have just helped carry the game along. I thought after about the 5th colossus where it was just 'kill it, spawn at the temple, get told where and go again' sort of thing, the lack of any story started to hurt it. There were so many questions about the game and about the world we were playing in that would have been nice to know the answers to, but there was none. If there was, I would say this would have easily been my favourite game of all.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
06-30-2006, 02:23 PM
There were so many questions about the game and about the world we were playing in that would have been nice to know the answers to, but there was none.That's one of the most attractive aspects of the game to me: it has a genuine sense of mystery and wonderment.

Croyles
06-30-2006, 08:16 PM
It leaves it to your imaginations somewhat.

Necronopticous
06-30-2006, 08:25 PM
I am partial to the backwards Latinapanese, personally.