PDA

View Full Version : The english media going loco over the world cup

Emerald weapon
06-29-2006, 03:28 PM
Am fed up with the way the english media are making out how amazing they are and how easy its going to be to win the world cup,please dont assume am only annoyed because am scottish because i aint racist,but the commentaters in the english games are full of themselves,they act like england have already won,dont get me wrong england are a really good team and having a good chance of taking home the world cup,but if it does happen we will not hear the end of it,ahmean look how long it took for england to calm down after the ruby world cup,imagine wat its going to be if they win.Please leave your comments and please no racism against my country,i want this to be a debate not an argument

~SapphireStar~
06-29-2006, 04:04 PM
The commententaters talk like that cause they are simply supporting England. They wouldnt talk that passionatly about another country and I doubt another country would talk about us so passionatly. This only happens every 4 years, football is a huge passion of this country and people do get excited about it, even the commentaters.

Lost Number
06-29-2006, 04:41 PM
For the duration of the world cup we have to endure the English walking around thinking they already have the cup won. Well, shock horror, if they get put out, its someone elses fault. Like, they will blame Rooney or some such. Or the referee. Or the scots. And if they DO win, we wont hear the end of it for ANOTHER 40 years.

DK
06-29-2006, 04:49 PM
Err...I dunno what media you're paying attention to but pretty much every time I turn on to a game or read an article about the English team, virtually every man and his dog is saying how England have underperformed so far and need to raise their game in order to have any chance of progressing further in the WC. No one can sit there and say anything like that because England haven't played to potential at all.

Resha
06-29-2006, 04:58 PM
I think poor England come in for a hell of a lot more flak from their supporters and the media than they do praise. (What Kyono said, really.) And even if they are binging on joyously, so what? They're being patriotic. :p Leave them be. It doesn't do anyone any harm unless they come and insult your team...and honestly, I don't think they're too bothered with that at the mo'.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
06-29-2006, 05:39 PM
I'm not sure about this. I was rather fed up of how the media was making such a big deal about Wayne Rooney's fitness before the World Cup started, it was virtually like everytime I watched the news they were updating us with information about his silly broken toes. The last time I remembered them going so far on such a topic was when the Pope was ill.
Anyway the analysists I've been listening too seem to be offering advice or talking technicalities on how England can perform better, pointing out key players and how to utilise them. Maybe you're interpreting this incorrectly as a sign that we are too proud and boasting what good players we have. One things for sure the media are definetly not saying how easy it is to win the World Cup. There have been much praise from our own football experts about other countries that are still in the draw.

Lost Number
06-29-2006, 07:09 PM
OK, I was too hasty in that analysis. It is more the english PEOPLE who are arrogant, running around like they already won. Not all of them, by no means, But enough.

Emerald weapon
06-29-2006, 07:20 PM
I just meant the media,heres another point,say i players has a bad game,the media comes down on him like a ton of bricks but when he scores WOOBOY! look whos the medias little star,this actully happend to david beckham at the start of the world cup,he didnt play well in 1 group match then in the next game he scored so that england could go through to the quarter finals,then the media were like''aaw who else but david beckham eh?hes the 1 who is gonna get us the cup!!''it just irritates me how the media covers the world cup

Bart's Friend Milhouse
06-29-2006, 07:27 PM
I just meant the media,heres another point,say i players has a bad game,the media comes down on him like a ton of bricks but when he scores WOOBOY! look whos the medias little star,this actully happend to david beckham at the start of the world cup,he didnt play well in 1 group match then in the next game he scored so that england could go through to the quarter finals,then the media were like''aaw who else but david beckham eh?hes the 1 who is gonna get us the cup!!''it just irritates me how the media covers the world cup

valid point

Doomie
06-29-2006, 07:30 PM
Impossible. Enagland won't win the World Cup!

Madame Adequate
06-29-2006, 08:09 PM
Impossible. Enagland won't win the World Cup!

It belongs to The Vatican.

Mirage
06-30-2006, 01:37 AM
Just FYI, all european media go loco over the world cup. It indeed is annoying.

Psychotic
06-30-2006, 01:44 AM
I'll tell you why the media build up England's chances.

Would you rather read a story saying that your team are great, and that they have a real chance of success, or would you rather read one saying they're a bunch of no-hopers and we might as well give up now? Most people would chose the former.
OK, I was too hasty in that analysis. It is more the english PEOPLE who are arrogant, running around like they already won. Not all of them, by no means, But enough.And the Brazilians, Argentinans, Italians, Portugese, Dutch and the Spanish. It's not arrogance, it's showing belief. Again, which is better: For one month, believing that maybe, just maybe, your team can succeed, ending with one day of despair, or one month being a whiney git, complaining about how crap the team are, ending with one day of smug "I told you sos"?

If you want to call that arrogance, then to me, arrogance sounds more enjoyable.

Hawkeye
06-30-2006, 01:52 AM
The World Cup is going on right now?

Lost Number
06-30-2006, 02:09 PM
OK, I was too hasty in that analysis. It is more the english PEOPLE who are arrogant, running around like they already won. Not all of them, by no means, But enough.And the Brazilians, Argentinans, Italians, Portugese, Dutch and the Spanish. It's not arrogance, it's showing belief. Again, which is better: For one month, believing that maybe, just maybe, your team can succeed, ending with one day of despair, or one month being a whiney git, complaining about how crap the team are, ending with one day of smug "I told you sos"?
But then we have to endure 4 years of them saying how they should have won.

radyk05
07-01-2006, 08:40 PM
well, the brits lost to portugal today.

Psychotic
07-01-2006, 08:47 PM
Nope, the English did.
But then we have to endure 4 years of them saying how they should have won.Or a month until the Premiership season starts.

Emerald weapon
07-01-2006, 10:03 PM
well its over and done with now,shame i thought they would have least made it into the semi-finals

Raebus
07-02-2006, 10:32 PM
Heres another idea, be proud of them for getting that far instead of wishing for more.

DanteV9
07-02-2006, 11:29 PM
I've never really understood english media. They are just... nuts. I mean, look at what they write about Sven Göran Eriksson(hey, swedish manager, wooo!) and now Wayne Rooney because he got a red card. Sure, I can see their irritation and disappointment in all that, still can't they just realize that Wayne's got a bad temper? I think they should be proud of their team because they play good, yet happy that they don't have a team like we sweds have.

chrisfffan
07-27-2006, 11:10 PM
well we got knocked out on pens as usal but we will allways have a better team than the scots they are bitter and jealous.