PDA

View Full Version : Eon 8

Captain Maxx Power
06-30-2006, 11:16 AM
The clock is ticking...

http://www.eon8.com/

If you want some background info about this site, then check here;

Eon 8 - The Investigation (http://eon8theinvestigation.ytmnd.com/)

Thoughts? Personally I think it's a PR stunt for a movie/TV series.

drunkymonkey
06-30-2006, 11:28 AM
The clock is ticking...

http://www.eon8.com/

If you want some background info about this site, then check here;

Eon 8 - The Investigation (http://eon8theinvestigation.ytmnd.com/)

Thoughts? Personally I think it's a PR stunt for a movie/TV series.
I reckon it's another I love Bees.

Shoden
06-30-2006, 11:33 AM
oh noes, we're going to die. Thanks alot Maxx.

Captain Maxx Power
06-30-2006, 11:38 AM
oh noes, we're going to die. Thanks alot Maxx.

Hey don't blame me. For once the downfall of mankind can't be attributed to something I've done.

Shoden
06-30-2006, 11:49 AM
I haven't even got my plans finalized yet and this comes along, this really bites.

drunkymonkey
06-30-2006, 11:52 AM
>>You are correct, this is not a terrorist act, nor is it a hoax.<<
>>It is not affiliated with video games or movies.<<
>>Think on what the map signifies<<
>>Think on what the time and date represents from the history of this country.<<
>>Use your head, everything is part of the_[LF P$X419<<
ES-12 02129BB8610611052592E26B383800618943025315F869E4E1F094710124429EB
1032872F519090F57E4137B61487B4E2430033E04614360930041B22E537E151E
B7536794B63BF90EF37F9B1477F89307B7F3432822519221E061F83701412F80B
84143E1257

from a forum post.

bipper
06-30-2006, 01:47 PM
damn it! I still don't care. I want to make a mysterious ticker so the nets freaks out... and whereever there are links to the gov't sites, there is always a link to anime-enlgand and such. Whatever.

Bipper

Lost Number
06-30-2006, 01:53 PM
ES-12 security investigation. They got the lingo.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
06-30-2006, 05:38 PM
Never fear, the supersleuths from YTMND.com are on the case!

drunkymonkey
06-30-2006, 05:40 PM
If they can't do it, no-one can.

Freya
06-30-2006, 05:42 PM
Those ytmnd kids will solve it first. Then they can save the world.

HAHAHHAHAHHAHA:D

mooglebunni608
06-30-2006, 05:44 PM
the count is over?

KentaRawr!
06-30-2006, 06:16 PM
It was nice knowing you guys. I'm going to play Mario Kart before the WORLD ENDS! ...

This is quite peculiar. You know, with all the things going on in the world. Iraq... North Korea...

I bet Loony BoB is trying to destroy the world. He'll mess with the satelite test to somehow make it hit the center of the earth using super aiming techniques of doom. Then, the world will go kaboom! But he kept a very safe thing intact. And safe. Which is the EoFF Server! EoFF Will rule the world! But, there is no world to rule. So using chunks of the earth, we'll make the first space-station to ever be built by man. Then, we'll rule the NEW WORLD! But who will make the space station? Why, we will! Loony BoB will give us super space suits that make us invincible to explosions. But HOW will we make the space station? He'll give the glue some space suits too! =D

But that's just my theory. >_>

Edit: Huh. The clock, instead of N and random letter, is now set to 10 Hours. Guess that means we'll rule the world in 10 hours.

Zell's Fists of Fury
06-30-2006, 06:36 PM
<a href=http://talbfij.ytmnd.com/>Indiana Jones has something to say about eon8.</a>

Zeldy
06-30-2006, 06:42 PM
I don't believe a word of it.
The world was meant to end on the 6.6.06 but Oh! Look! We're still alive!

StarChild
06-30-2006, 06:52 PM
I think it was made by a cult

Xaven
06-30-2006, 11:10 PM
I think they're going to explode the internet.

Samuraid
06-30-2006, 11:45 PM
Hahahahahh! What a joke. They are hosted at theplanet.com on a rented dedicated server running an outdated version of PHP. :p

It's simply a publicity stunt.

EDIT: And it is hosted at theplanet, contrary to what YTMND says. The DNS is at bbhosts.net, which is also hosted at theplanet, which is in Dallas, TX.
http://whois.domaintools.com/67.18.245.244
http://eyesonff.com/samuraid/eon8.png

Shauna
07-01-2006, 01:12 AM
The first site won't work for me. :(

Levian
07-01-2006, 01:19 AM
Yeah, doesn't work for me either. Did the timer run out or something? Speaking of hoaxes, what ever happened to Toby and Bernd?

Tasura
07-01-2006, 01:21 AM
The timer wasnt going to to run out for at least 4 more hours, i think they got taken off the host :p

Edit: ITs back up now, and 3 and a half hours left on the timer.

Reine
07-01-2006, 01:47 AM
If this is true, then I am a red mage

Psychotic
07-01-2006, 02:01 AM
Hurray, viral marketing!

Oh, and ten bucks says the site crashes due to extreme traffic when the timer finishes.

Summoner
07-01-2006, 02:58 AM
Explained? I found this while looking up the site earlier today.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eon8

And, to the one who said that, .06.06.06 was probably just a coincidence. Just because it's the cursed number doesn't mean that the world is going to end on that day. If it's not a publicity stunt, then read the bit on the shuttle and Fruit Flies. That may make sense. I'm not sure, though.

Lindy
07-01-2006, 03:00 AM
It's viral marketing for the Phantom, you clods.

Psychotic
07-01-2006, 03:42 AM
http://www.loki7.com/countdown.html

OH MY GOD GUYS I FOUND ANOTHER COUNTDOWN!!!

And if you ask me, this one is an entirely more frightening prospect.

Moon Rabbits
07-01-2006, 04:07 AM
It's a viral marketing campaign I think, hopefully an ARG because I <3 ARGs.

Hoax or no, it's still a scary concept and website.

* An error page asks for the user to resort to "C22:S13 in your handbook". This can be interpreted as a Bible reference, Chapter 22, Section 13. The most seemingly relevant passages are shown below.
o Book of Enoch:"And thus has it been from the beginning of the world. Thus has there existed a separation between the souls of those who utter complaints, and of those who watch for their destruction, to slaughter them in the day of sinners."
o Book of Revelation:"I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and last, the beginning and the end."
o Book of Numbers:"The next morning Balaan got up and said to Balak's princes, "Go back to your own country, for the Lord has refused to let me go with you.""
o Book of Samuel (1):"Saul said to him, "Why have you conspired against me, you and the son of Jesse, giving him bread and a sword and inquiring of God for him, so that he has rebelled against me and lies in wait for me, as he does today?""
o Psalm 22, Line 13: "Roaring lions tearing their prey open their mouths wide against me."
o Isaiah 22:13: "and behold, joy and gladness, killing cattle and killing sheep, eating flesh and drinking wine: 'Let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we will die.'"
* The eighth eon is related to the seven periods of ancient Jewish apocalyptic literature[3]. At the end of the seventh day would come a new, eternal eon (the eighth), which is often interpreted as the end of the world.
* The ending time is that of Canada Day and the 72nd anniversary of the Night of the Long Knives, the night that Hitler assassinated all his political rivals.

The world ends on Canada day :( And I had a potluck to go to!

Freya
07-01-2006, 04:12 AM
So 49 minutes on my computer left before the world ends. My sister will only let me and my bro and law access it on one of the computers so she says, "If it is something i dont want all three to get messed up." It's a scary concept if you think about it. But watch it'll be something stupid. Like some stupid product.

Moon Rabbits
07-01-2006, 04:19 AM
Huzzah, someone else is mildly scared by the concept!!

Anyways, it's shaping up to be an ARG. And I'm excited, cuz I never get in on ARGs when they first start, and by the time I do they end.

If anyone else is interested, www.eon5.com looks related in an ARG sense.

Sleuthing around on Unreality I found out that some people have been seeing red dots appear on the deployment tracker in their general geographic area after visiting.

Creepy!

Millia Billia
07-01-2006, 04:28 AM
Wow, whatever this is, it's truly an internet phenomenon that will remain as a meme in net history. Every single last site based community I've visited in the last four hours is talking about it. Assuming it doesn't mean the worlds about to end like some people seem to think.

I must admit, the map covered in red dots is a tad creepy. As is some of the information found in this Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eon8).

Tasura
07-01-2006, 04:31 AM
X21-B and X13600 are genes =P

Moon Rabbits
07-01-2006, 04:34 AM
Wow, whatever this is, it's truly an internet phenomenon that will remain as a meme in net history. Every single last site based community I've visited in the last four hours is talking about it. Assuming it doesn't mean the worlds about to end like some people seem to think.

I must admit, the map covered in red dots is a tad creepy. As is some of the information found in this Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eon8).

QFT.

I'd like to make something that gets as famous as this.

Me being the ARG follower I am was sleuthing <a href=http://forums.unfiction.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15629&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45>Unreality</a> again. The linked post has some really smart ARG/Codebreaker players who decripted some of the codes the website gives you...

66B5FBEEA7 US Dept of Defense adv.11072-int.pentagon.mil
B43138A32E US Dept of Defense adv.11083-int.pentagon.mil

alerts.intranet.cia.gov
mail02.qst.sandiego.fbi.gov
rnd.106gbq.pentagon.mil

I second the Shocked

I bet the site set off some kind of Homeland Security thing, due to its mysterious nature, and the fact that it's logging all of it's visitors and is pinpointing locations on a map of the world. I think at this point I might step back and see what other people think. I haven't been involved in enough games like this to know if I should be worried. Smile

Roogle
07-01-2006, 04:49 AM
http://www.loki7.com/countdown.html

OH MY GOD GUYS I FOUND ANOTHER COUNTDOWN!!!

And if you ask me, this one is an entirely more frightening prospect.

http://www.eyesonff.com/roo/countdown.html

This one should ease your fears.

disapointedchild
07-01-2006, 05:00 AM
it just hit zero on my computer and now i am being redirected somewhere.

Psychotic
07-01-2006, 05:02 AM
Oh, and ten bucks says the site crashes due to extreme traffic when the timer finishes.:strut:

Thanks, Roogle. :love:

EDIT: According to the good folk at Something Awful, it said this:

{eon8} Complete
As of July 1st, 2006, the E8 Project has completed.
The purpose of this project was to determine the reactions of the internet public to lack of information.

History
The domain eon8.com was chosen, as it is short, easily remembered, and eon9 was already registered.
It was originally posted on www.msfn.org, but was promptly removed as 'spam'. It was enough time for it to be copied to other forums throughout December 2005.

Results
We were amazed to discover that the site was instantly linked with terrorism, simply for the fact that it seems mysterious. Evil was the number one first impression people had of the site, in spite of the fact that there are no threats on the site. The only thing Eon 8 says is "We don't want you here". Nothing else.
Other less disappointing opinions were social experimentation (which was correct), James Bond movie viral marketing, and promotions for video games.
For many people, being faced with a countdown timer was an instant reason to try to shut down or hack the site. This is a worrying reaction, that if someone doesn't understand something they must destroy it. As a result, the servers have been hit quite hard these last few days, but luckily 99% of the 'hackers' could easily be described as 'l4me n00bs'.
Another worrying example of paranoia was how quickly people would jump to conclusions, such as telephoning the registered owner of a dog seen in a photograph on a server that hosts a page that links to eon8.
Surprises
The folks at Unfiction.com were the most resourceful and inventive, they successfully managed to decrypt several of the 'codes' on the site, forcing them to be re-encrypted using more secure methods.

FAQ
What about eon5.com?
Nothing to do with us. Pure coincidence, but worked in our favor.

What about the 8th eon being the end of the world?
We picked Eon 8 because Eon 9 was already taken. We didn't know about the significance of this. Eon is a cool sounding word!

Why July 1st?
We didn't know how long it would take to get the word out using our subtle promotion methods. We allowed over 6 months.

What do the codes on the site mean?
They're mostly randomly generated integers encrypted with md5, but with certain letters removed and replaced. The Logs page is simply based on the current timestamp, encrypted and modified. You can't decrypt them, they really are random numbers.

What is the Deployment Map?
They're dots placed over major cities and several random locations, it was done mostly from memory. The random gif filename is an added touch to force a slight delay on loading, which looks more impressive in Internet Explorer, but not as much in Firefox.

What's the password?
There isn't one. If you did somehow manage to get in, you'd see an empty folder with a single text file that says "This is a decoy folder. Please connect to the internal secure network".

Can I see your website statistics?
Yes, click here.

Are you anything to do with Scientology?
Did you see anything talking about a Free Personality Test or Xenu? Use your brain.

Who are you, really?
The most I can tell you is I am a 23 year old web designer from Florida named Mike. I can't narrow it down anymore than that. When I say 'we', I really mean 'me'.

Conclusions
People take things too seriously and panic over the most trivial things. But at the same time there are many people out there who think things through without jumping to conclusions. You can't let pointless speculation rule your lives and force you to live in fear.

In Closing
Thanks to everyone who kept things interesting, especially to the folks at unfiction. Sorry there is no ARG for you to play, but at least you had fun while it lasted.

Click here for one Final Message from Eon 8 (apparently this message is Monty Python's Always Look on the Bright Side of Life)

BE HAPPY
THE END
Sincerely, x21b

...if that's true, this guy is a genius. The entire internet just got owned.

Freya
07-01-2006, 05:09 AM
Oh, and ten bucks says the site crashes due to extreme traffic when the timer finishes.

I owe ya 10 bucks but i R poor so i cant give any, want a :cookie: instead?

Moon Rabbits
07-01-2006, 05:10 AM
Yep. Crashed, won't redirect me to whatever the surprise was.

:} Darn.

Tasura
07-01-2006, 05:10 AM
lol, ive gotten to the main site and clicked the reveal the truth link, adn it was a blnak page

Edit: that happend with the main site a couple of times, a refrsh fixes it, expcet fo rwhen the server crashes

Acid Raine
07-01-2006, 05:13 AM
So how much time is left? My janky computer wont let me on at ALL.

mooglebunni608
07-01-2006, 05:14 AM
I can't get to the site anymore T_T

Freya
07-01-2006, 05:15 AM
HAHAHAHA funny i thought it might be something like that. But yet i still was suspicious.

mooglebunni608
07-01-2006, 05:22 AM
We were amazed to discover that the site was instantly linked with terrorism, simply for the fact that it seems mysterious. Evil was the number one first impression people had of the site, in spite of the fact that there are no threats on the site.
No duh.
Little red dots over major cities = scary.

Acid Raine
07-01-2006, 05:24 AM
Im not scared! There is no dot ANYWHERE near where I live! Makes me almost glad I moved from London to Nebraska! AHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Tasura
07-01-2006, 05:26 AM
Tehres actually a dot near my uni =P

Psychotic
07-01-2006, 05:28 AM
OK, I finally got through to this page (http://www.eon8.com/deployed21b.php), and yep, what I posted was there, as well as a picture.

EDIT: Yep, the final message is Monty Python's always look on the bright side of life. :laugh:

Tempest
07-01-2006, 05:30 AM
I can't get to that site. :(

Agent Proto
07-01-2006, 05:36 AM
It's down. I never paid any attention to that site. So it didn't bother me. I did get interested, but nevertheless, didn't pay much attention. :D So I win for not being fooled.

Tasura
07-01-2006, 05:36 AM
Pfft, I liked my theory more

Moon Rabbits
07-01-2006, 05:53 AM
Best ending ever. The internet did just get owned.

Acid Raine
07-01-2006, 05:59 AM
So its over? Talk about anti-climactic....

Tasura
07-01-2006, 06:03 AM

Its been over for an hour.

Acid Raine
07-01-2006, 06:05 AM

Its been over for an hour.
Well like I said, Ive never seen it.

drunkymonkey
07-01-2006, 10:46 AM
Tell you what, that was a very convincing experiment.

Samuraid
07-02-2006, 12:29 AM
http://eon8.klibbnisse.net/deployed21b.asp

As I said before, a complete publicity stunt. They could have done a much better job of it. :p

Zell's Fists of Fury
07-02-2006, 01:29 AM
http://eon8.klibbnisse.net/deployed21b.asp

As I said before, a complete publicity stunt. They could have done a much better job of it. :p
What are you talking about?
I wouldn't call it a publicity stunt. What are they publicising? More of an experment, like they say on the web site. And a highly successful one at that. Look at all the buzz surrounding it. Do a better job? I think they did a good job as is.

Tavrobel
07-02-2006, 02:29 AM
The Internet got pwned.