PDA

View Full Version : Game Stop and EB games goes to far?

Tifa's Real Lover(really
07-01-2006, 01:23 AM
i was going to sell my ps1 controller when the sign read " as of june 1st we do not take nintendo 64 or playstation games" because they are too old of a console or something, what is the world comming to?

edczxcvbnm
07-01-2006, 01:27 AM
Where they hell have you been? The did this with SNES, NES and Sega a few years ago. It was only a matter of time before they pulled this one also.

Do you know what they do with games they can't sell once they decide to get rid of them? They destroy them instead of dropping the prices down to a level people would buy the stuff.

They suck as a company and as a store. Gamecrazy is crazy better.

DeathKnight
07-01-2006, 01:29 AM
i was going to sell my ps1 controller when the sign read " as of june 1st we do not take nintendo 64 or playstation games" because they are too old of a console or something, what is the world comming to?

That's reasonable. With the PlayStation3 and Wii coming out, making space for PS1 and N64 games is not worth it, unless they have BIG stores.

Besides, if they still have PS1 and N64 games, they'd most likely would like to sell them new for 10-15 bucks, instead of 5.

Reine
07-01-2006, 01:43 AM
EB is an absolute rip off

"Trade in your Ps2 and seven games and get 100$ off a PSP!"

fuck off

"Save a MASSIVE seven dollars!" (Seriously I heard that in the sale ad they were playing in there store)

Sylvie
07-01-2006, 01:49 AM
EB Games is sort of a rip off. I tried trading in a PS1 game and the guy said he would give me a quarter for it. What a bunch of bullcrap. I later sold that game for 10 dollars at a yard sale. I usually don't trade stuff in anyway, I just buy pre-owned games and save money.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
07-01-2006, 01:51 AM
EB Games is sort of a rip off. I tried trading in a PS1 game and the guy said he would give me a quarter for it. What a bunch of bullcrap. I later sold that game for 10 dollars at a yard sale. I usually don't trade stuff in anyway, I just buy pre-owned games and save money.
yea, and they end up selling the game for like x20 the money they gave u

Outer Heaven
07-01-2006, 02:08 AM
GameStop are assholes. I remember I was going to sell like 8 games and they offered me 5 bucks or something like that, and they were year old games and good ones at that. And of course I didn't take it.

My friend sold SRS--racing game, and they gave him like 10 bucks, and few days later they were selling it for 28 bucks.

Roto13
07-01-2006, 02:12 AM
I just buy pre-owned games and save money.
Like, two dollars.

Reine
07-01-2006, 02:17 AM
Yes, EB sells pre-owned games for about 10$ less, even if its ripped and torn, scratched, etc, they'll only reduce it by a measly $10

Ive even bought broken games from them. What the SMURF? Selling broken games?

One thing that takes the cake, is that they were selling GTA San Andreas for 100+, when it had been platinum for several months. Whereas at the other game shops in the mall, it was selling for the correct price: $34.95

I even tested it to see if it was a sticker error, nope, they WERE trying to sell it for its pre-platinum price. And would that not be illegal?

They are bastards. I only buy things there, if I cannot get it at one of the others.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
07-01-2006, 02:18 AM
I just buy pre-owned games and save money.
Like, two dollars.
more like 5, its either a scratched up disk or a brand new one

Malboro_Menace
07-01-2006, 02:24 AM
Yeh EB does suck. I tryed to trade in LOTR 2 and 3 last year and they offered me $4 AUS for 2 and $6 AUS for 3. they were selling pre-owned versions for $35. I then went to Gameswizards and sold em for $15 ea.

I never buy at EB. Its way too expensive there. Places like Big W, Kmart, Target and the sort are good for new games and Gameswizards are even better.

farplaner
07-01-2006, 02:25 AM
Yeah, game shops are truly robbing people on trade-ins. Obviously people are taking their offers, otherwise I wouldn't be able to buy used games from them.

I think it's really insulting to pay upwards of fifty dollars U.S. on a game only to take it back to the store a couple of weeks later and be offered NO MORE than maybe eight bucks in store credit! Or you can take six bucks cash, if you really feel like "touching your toes."

Carmilla
07-01-2006, 02:31 AM
I dont know why everyone doesnt sell their stuff on ebay. Sure its slightly more work to list it and ship it but you will make probably 2x-3x the amount those stores would give you. :mog:

Levian
07-01-2006, 02:40 AM
Trading in anything to a store will always be a rip off, which is why I never do it :p. EB Games is the cheapest store in Norway when it comes to games, though.

XxSephirothxX
07-01-2006, 04:00 AM
They typically will give you a third of what they'll sell the game for. Yes, it sucks, but that's capitalism for you. It's not like we get to buy everything wholesale.

MecaKane
07-01-2006, 04:11 AM
Do you know what they do with games they can't sell once they decide to get rid of them? They destroy them instead of dropping the prices down to a level people would buy the stuff.

It costs money to use up store space for things selling for $2 each.

Roto13
07-01-2006, 04:29 AM

Considering it would take about an hour to sell out of $2 games, it's still better then destroying them.

Reine
07-01-2006, 04:43 AM
Or they could give them away as some deal, give them to some other shop, ANYTHING. Why destroy them?

Outer Heaven
07-01-2006, 04:52 AM
...Because they're not that bright.

Erdrick Holmes
07-01-2006, 05:42 AM

Hmm, yet the EB games and Gamestop still has shelves and bins for Sega Genesis and NES games. I see them there every week I go there. :rolleyes2

fantasyjunkie
07-01-2006, 06:18 AM
EB games does suck big time. Only reason I shop there is that I work for Barnes and Noble Bookstore and we get a 15% employee discount there since we own those guys. If it wasn't for the discount though, I would never go there.

KentaRawr!
07-01-2006, 08:33 AM
Huh. The Gamestop at the Mall we go to seems fine. Sure, they attempted to sell us Star Fox Assault, but the pre-owned games are, quite surprisingly, in very good condition.

Zeromus_X
07-01-2006, 08:37 AM
I don't really buy things there often, only reserve things. Even then, I never turn in used games because I'd have to turn in like eight of them for one new one. xD Yeah, but I guess they have to make money.

Markus. D
07-01-2006, 10:02 AM
I become an EB games wh0re when they have there 50% off sale on <3

Reine
07-01-2006, 11:09 AM
Those so called sales are jusst selling extra stock, all the good stuff remains normal, and the crap is reduced in price..only once did I get a good thing out of one of those sales...my PC controller, and my C&C pack (RA2, YR, Tiberian Sun and Renegade)

~SapphireStar~
07-01-2006, 11:35 AM
Why sell them?! Why oh why?! Old school consoles are the best man!

drunkymonkey
07-01-2006, 01:10 PM
It's happened in the UK as well. GAME don't take in any PS1 games (leaving classics like Final Fantasy and all the other excellent games unbuyable) anymore. GameStation do a tiny used collection.

It's a sad fact that while music and films you will always be able to buy, games are not like this. Old classics will become rare myths, and we'll forget all about them. I heard PS3 Online will allow you to download PS1 games for a price, but I want the actual box and I can't buy online.

To me, it is disgraceful.

NeoCracker
07-01-2006, 02:12 PM
I think its just the area you guys are in. Here to buy used games EB is the second best place to go. I've only heard of a couple times the games didn't work, and they replaced those copies here. Gamecrazy is the local rip off here. Their used games for ones that are new here are only dropped a couple bucks, compared to EB at about a five dollar drop. And games don't fly off the shelf at low prices. EB has MAd Maestro for 4 or five bucks, five copies. They've been their a few months. Trade ins yes, EB is the worst, CD world here, which i beleive is local but I'm not sure, is the best place to trade them in. They give you more money than anyone else does.

MecaKane
07-01-2006, 04:30 PM

Hmm, yet the EB games and Gamestop still has shelves and bins for Sega Genesis and NES games. I see them there every week I go there. :rolleyes2
Yes, and those cost money. The percentage of the floor space the bins take up, out of the rent/heat/light bills, employee time spent ringing in the games that do get sold, sorting them, doing inventory, if the store still makes a profit on the sale after all of that, they're doing good, if they're not and it's cheaper to get rid of them that's when they're a bad business. :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2

KentaRawr!
07-01-2006, 05:34 PM
I always get good deals with their sales. Like their buy one get one free sale. :choc2: The hard part is finding one used game that's over $20 and one that's under $20. We almost got Devil May Cry 3 + Kirby Canvas Curse, but we suddenly turned dumb and got Devil May Cry 3 without Kirby. :(

Madame Adequate
07-01-2006, 07:56 PM
I don't know how many Slackers stores there are, but there's one in St. Charles in Missouri and it is fantastic. It has a large catalogue of games right the way back to the Master System and NES. <3

Otherwise just use the internets. I don't trade games in very often anymore, unless there's something I really want and I have no other money.