PDA

View Full Version : Video games you thought would be bad but were actually good O_O

The Fat Bioware Nerd
07-01-2006, 10:26 AM
Has there ever been a video game that you thought was going to be bad but it actually turned out to be good? I was a bit skeptical over Jade Empire...But when I actually picked up the game and played it I thought it was fun. I know Jade Empire isn't as good as the original KOTOR or the other Bioware games but it was pretty good considering that it was the first time Bioware decided to scrap the turn-based system and go with live-action.

Zeromus_X
07-01-2006, 10:29 AM
Final Fantasy X-2...was really fun, actually.

drunkymonkey
07-01-2006, 10:52 AM
Final Fantasy 9. I got it as a side Christmas present because on the PS1 there wasn't many games I was actually interested in coming out. It turned out to be my favourite game ever.

~SapphireStar~
07-01-2006, 11:36 AM
Im actually starting to open up to 9 and it has become one of my fav FFs :D

Captain Maxx Power
07-01-2006, 02:42 PM
Can't say that's happened to me, mainly because I rarely spend money on games unless I know for a fact they're going to be good. I have, however, played games that everyone has raved about and I ended up hating.

Emerald weapon
07-01-2006, 02:46 PM
Armored core 2/armored core 2:another age,i thought it was just going to be a typical shoot em' up game,but customising your own robot and fighting others in the arena then doing missions turned out to be a good way to waste a week of your life and i thought armoured core 2 another age was going to be crap because they lost the arena but its actully a bit better than 2 because you get better wepons upgrades etc.etc

sexy yuna
07-01-2006, 02:56 PM
ff7 made me weap many tears

Venom
07-01-2006, 02:58 PM
Its funny I used to HATE final fantasy games until I played X.

Then I didnt hate them.:)

Craig
07-01-2006, 03:38 PM
Oh, that happens to me all the time. I have a money tree, you see. So I'm constantly picking at it's ripe crispy notes to go and buy games that I personally think will be terrible and that I'll probably only play once.

So it's very often that I find a gem among all the crap that I buy.

drunkymonkey
07-01-2006, 03:41 PM
Well, I buy PC Zone, which tells me pretty much all I want to know about what PC games are good to get and which are not. I buy a new PS2 about once, maybes twice a year, and before splashing out on one, I always check this glorious site (www.metacritic.com) to make sure the game I'm getting isn't crap. Generally though, I can decide for myself. I mean I thought Timesplitters Future Perfect because I knew that was going to be ace.

Jessweeee♪
07-01-2006, 05:00 PM
Kingdom Hearts! My friend kept begging me to try it, and one day he just brought it over anyway, and I liked it!

Eminem's_No.1_Fan
07-01-2006, 05:07 PM
FF7 i was only 5 when it came out and i wasn't used to RPG's but when my older sister made me play it i thought it good, now i'm addicted and i get every ff the day it comes out

Rase
07-01-2006, 05:13 PM
I'm with Maxx here. Unless I've played the game in some form or KNOW I'll like it (read: it's part of a series I've always loved), I probably won't buy it, so this rarely, if ever, happens to me. The closest thing was probably Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow, just because I'd never played a Castlevania after IV, and so I was a little skeptical. Of course, it soon passed.

drunkymonkey
07-01-2006, 08:06 PM
Kingdom Hearts! My friend kept begging me to try it, and one day he just brought it over anyway, and I liked it!
I remember getting a new PS2 after my one borked, and I got either that or Ratchet and Clank in a deal. I didn't know which to get (I loved playing the demo of R&C), but eventually I chose Kingdom Hearts. One of the best choices I've ever made.

The Last Ancient
07-01-2006, 08:36 PM
When Covenant came out, I wanted to play it but figured I should play the first one first and wasn't expecting much cause all the reviews were so so. I think the first Shadow Hearts is one of the top ten rpg's ever after playing it and definetly the best in the series.

KentaRawr!
07-01-2006, 08:39 PM
Mr. Driller DS. I expected it to not be fun, but then... oh wait. :(

NorthernChaosGod
07-01-2006, 11:54 PM
I remember thinking that Kingdom Hearts was going to be bad because of the association of Disney with the game, but it turned out to be one of my favorite PS2 game ever.

Jessweeee♪
07-05-2006, 05:47 PM
I remember thinking that Kingdom Hearts was going to be bad because of the association of Disney with the game, but it turned out to be one of my favorite PS2 game ever.

It did get unbarably corny sometimes, not just the disney, but luckily you can skip it in KH2.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-05-2006, 05:53 PM
Eternal Darkness, kind of. The waves of positive press it received were enough to convince me to buy it, but then there was a period of at least a week afterwards where I would just look at the back of the case and cringe at those ugly Canadian character designs. Once I actually started playing, though, it proved to be every bit as excellent as it had been hyped to be, mongoloid protagonists aside.

bipper
07-05-2006, 05:56 PM
Advent Rising. Buggy as hell, but still a good fun game.

Germ Hamee
07-05-2006, 09:20 PM
Katamari Damacy. Who would have guessed that rolling a ball around would be fun?

Medi
07-05-2006, 09:26 PM
I had heard a lot of bad things about Metroid II - RoS, but it's so fun and one of my favorite video games. I also thought Metroid Prime and Kingdom Hearts would be awful. I thought Metroid in 3D was a horrendous idea, but that turned out well. With Kingdom Hearts, the Square-Disney collaboration sounded stupid, but I found it quite enjoyable.

Edit: I didn't think too highly about Final Fantasy IX when first reading about it either. God, how ignorant I was...

Alixsar
07-05-2006, 09:46 PM
SaGa Frontier II. I know everyone in the world hates it, but I like it.

Erdrick Holmes
07-05-2006, 10:09 PM
Shadow the hedgehog.

I Took the Red Pill
07-05-2006, 10:16 PM
Maximo: Ghosts to Glory

Dreddz
07-05-2006, 10:46 PM
Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo and Warzard :cool:

black orb
07-05-2006, 11:32 PM
>>> Tales of Destiny 2.

Slade
07-06-2006, 12:49 AM
Kingdom Hearts. My first reaction was 'What the crap are they thinking!' I perchased it anyway to give it a shot and really, REALLY enjoyed it. It's not my favorite game, but its very awsome :)

Erdrick Holmes
07-06-2006, 01:05 AM
Was Warzard ever released on a console in a country that doesn't speak Japanese?

black orb
07-06-2006, 02:31 AM
Kingdom Hearts. My first reaction was 'What the crap are they thinking!' I perchased it anyway to give it a shot and really, REALLY enjoyed it. It's not my favorite game, but its very awsome :)
>>> It was the opposite for me, I bought the game because of all the KH hype and I had my hopes for it, then I played it (tortured myself) for a couple of days and never touched the game again..
Anyways, my little brother loved it and played it so it wasnt a total waste of money..

Cruise Control
07-06-2006, 02:48 AM
Red Faction. Greatest FPS EVER!

Moon Rabbits
07-06-2006, 02:56 AM
Kingdom Hearts, Okage, both Katamari games.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
07-06-2006, 04:00 AM
Another video game I was skeptical, over is Paper Mario 2...I didn't think it would be a good, video game but I saw GameSpot's video review, and that convinced me to buy it. I loaded the tiny disc, into my GameCube, I started play it and I had a fucking blast! Paper Mario : The Thousand Year Door was fun!:) A lot of people out there say that Paper Mario 2 sucks, and they're right; it does suck...It sucks so much that I couldn't stop playing, it until I defeated, the final boss.:)

DoomAntenna
07-06-2006, 06:49 AM
I never expect ff games to suck, I assume they're awesome, so none of those have positively surprised me. I did misjudge World of Warcraft, though. I didn't think I'd like it much, but I gave the trial version a shot. Then it ate me. It's the most addictive game I've ever played, and pretty fun too. Thanks to it, I still haven't finished ff9 :(. Though I'm working to amend that, cause ff9 is fun.

drunkymonkey
07-06-2006, 10:32 AM
Red Faction. Greatest FPS EVER!That was the opposite to me. I didn't like the look of Half Life (I played the demo and found it scary), so I played Red Faction instead. What a steaming pile of smelly turd. It was bloody awful. The multiplayer mode was alright though, as long you played lobby.

And now, I love Half Life.