PDA

View Full Version : DS not a Gameboy?

Erdrick Holmes
07-02-2006, 10:40 PM
Nintendo made it official that the DS isn't a gameboy system. Does anybody know why they decided not to call it a Gamebody?

Also, does anybody know if Nintendo plans on making a new handheld with the Gamebody moniquore?

Tifa's Real Lover(really
07-02-2006, 10:48 PM
this was very old news

Griff
07-02-2006, 10:48 PM
it can play GBA games, it's a gameboy. No corporate suit can tell you otherwise.

Dreddz
07-02-2006, 10:55 PM
The Gameboy name has ended already.

Roto13
07-02-2006, 10:58 PM
Nintendo called it their third pillar (Game Cube and Game Boy Advance being the other two) but that was probably just in case it failed. They didn't want any bad publicity attached to the Game Boy name.

DanteV9
07-02-2006, 11:46 PM
What will then the next game boy be like? Amazing graphics, but just one screen and no touch screen features? I think Nintendo has gotten themself into quite a fix.

Craig
07-02-2006, 11:53 PM
It's just a name.

DanteV9
07-02-2006, 11:57 PM
Are you talking about "Game boy" or "Nintendo DS"? Either way, they're not just names, they are pillars, as roto13-ness said.

Craig
07-03-2006, 12:06 AM
Are you talking about "Game boy" or "Nintendo DS"? Either way, they're not just names, they are pillars, as roto13-ness said.

I'm talking about the fact that the word Gameboy is just a name, and it doesn't make a difference whether the current Nintendo handheld is called DS or Gameboy because it would still be the same.

DanteV9
07-03-2006, 12:21 AM
I'm talking about the fact that the word Gameboy is just a name, and it doesn't make a difference whether the current Nintendo handheld is called DS or Gameboy because it would still be the same.

And that's just what Nintendo did NOT state. They've annouced that the Nintendo DS is a new pillar, a new series of consoles, which means that the Nintendo DS will most likely have a sequel. Therefore, the Game boy series will also continue. Or end, we don't know yet.

Captain Maxx Power
07-03-2006, 12:30 AM
I already told you. It's not a GameBoy. It's a GameMan!

And to be honest Nintendo is determined to move away from the whole kiddy-market exclusive schtick they've had going on the past few years. Having a product stamped with the word "Boy" just smacks of the little urchins.

MecaKane
07-03-2006, 02:44 AM
It's not a gameboy because it's called a nintendo DS.

Roto13
07-03-2006, 03:23 AM
It's not a gameboy because it's called a nintendo DS.
^^^ Exactly. It's not a Game Boy any more than a PSP is a Game Boy.

Reine
07-03-2006, 04:03 AM
Its just the next Nintendo handheld to me

Erdrick Holmes
07-03-2006, 04:36 AM
Attention: Everybody. I know that it's not called a Gameboy, I just want to know why they don't call it a gameboy? It can play GBA games but they still don't call it a gameboy. I just hope they make another handheld with the 'Gameboy' name, it'd give them a bigger boost in sales.

Carl the Llama
07-03-2006, 08:17 AM
so what would you have them call it? the Gameboy Super Advanced? the DS just sounds better and besides like Maxx Power said, Gameboy makes you think of little kiddies, and maybe they (being Nintendo) wanted to attract an older generation of players and wanted to shed theiryounger generation image and giveing it a new name would help to do so.

DanteV9
07-03-2006, 12:29 PM
so what would you have them call it? the Gameboy Super Advanced? the DS just sounds better and besides like Maxx Power said, Gameboy makes you think of little kiddies, and maybe they (being Nintendo) wanted to attract an older generation of players and wanted to shed theiryounger generation image and giveing it a new name would help to do so.
Mmm, seems logical. Even though Nintedo haven't said it, they have got to be annoyed over the fact that they're the "kiddy company".

Angi-Kaiser
07-03-2006, 02:59 PM

I think that they are less of trying to shed the kiddy side, and more of trying to make it suitible for alll ages (thus their "Casual gaming" approach). Unlike som e systems (cough*Playstation/Xbox*Cough), they are trying to include hardcore gamers, casual gamers, and kids, not whoring there systems out to Blood-and-gore games just to get some blood-thristy gamer to buy their system. Sorry for that rant (had to get that out).

JKTrix
07-03-2006, 04:19 PM
The Gameboy brand will continue, but I doubt we'll be seeing another 'Gameboy' for quite some time. There were brief talks about a 'Gameboy Evolution' even after the DS was launched, but I really don't see Nintendo mentioning anything about it until at least 2 more years.
The DS is going incredibly strong. Part of its success is due to the 'Gameboy' brand, even though it's not labeled 'Gameboy'. 'Nintendo,' as a brand, is more recognizable than 'Gameboy'. The DS, however, was made to go in a different direction than the Gameboy. So that kind of makes me wonder... is 'Gameboy Evolution' gonna be more of the same? Hmmm....
I'll be quite fine with my DSes for a while.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-03-2006, 05:07 PM
I just hope they make another handheld with the 'Gameboy' name, it'd give them a bigger boost in sales.The DS has sold nearly 20 million units in about a year and a half on its own merits. I doubt having the Game Boy label would have made too much of a difference.

eestlinc
07-03-2006, 06:34 PM
Yea, and the DS is awesome whereas the Gameboy advance is less awesome. Besides, how do you think girls feel? Wat about Gamegirl?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-03-2006, 06:40 PM
Don't ask (http://image.lik-sang.com/images/large/ps2-trance-vibrator-rez.jpg).