PDA

View Full Version : Work in Progress: Pirate Red Mage.

Zeromus_X
07-03-2006, 02:39 PM
I figured I would use watercolours since my graphite drawings suck so much.

http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i166/Zeromus_X/?action=view&current=WIPPRM.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch1

This is just the outline though...I'll probably paint it later today or something.

Madonna
07-03-2006, 05:04 PM
Several of the larger issues:

Where is that sword pointing? What is it? A [cutlass] (http://www.stanleylondon.com/cutlass.jpg) or a [rapier] (http://www.cashenblades.com/rapier.jpg)? Regardless, your PRM is holding it wrong. For the best of idea how it'd look, either google some pictures of people holding such weapons or imagine yourself holding one and notice how the basket (the guard over your hand) and the cutting edge of the sword faces.

Settle the hat lower on the PRM's head. Judging from the size of the hat, it can settle down on his head, but he'd rather just let it sit unsecured on the very top of his head. The entire hat should come down to cover almost all of his forehead and the brim should just barely leave the eyes visible, most likely. Also, noticeably different brim lengths on the hat on the left and right sides, the feather probably is stitched in, yes, but into the hat itself and not externally with thread as well as the feather possibly being more on the side of the hat than the front; it flows behind him, not swinging out sideways.

Eyepatch. I don't suppose that's a scar running down his face? If it isn't and instead the straps, re-do that. Eyepatches tend to have a y-strap that works out like [this] (http://www.akusui.net/_lynxius/eyepatch-rough.gif), wrapping around the head quite a different way than you have. Not a very good way to do it, just so you know.

Proportions. Yours work, after a fashion. However, the lower part of the torso probably should be slimmer, else he's a chubby guy and I don't think that's what you were aiming for. The arms are of varying lengths which is bad, but the width of both seem to be similar, so you're good on that respect. The hands might need slight enlargement; the one holding the blade seems to melt into the wrist and forearm. Again, a chubby thing, but there should be some more definition regardless. Also, the legs just seem to shoot out to infinity and have no shape; does the PRM have thunder thighs?

Clothes in general. What the heck is happening at the PRM's crotch? Is his left leg ahead of his right, causing that favorable swoop, or what? The coat that the PRM wears also seems a tragedy. I can see why there are those two things jutting out from beneath the belt and that's because they are extentions of his coat, but shouldn't his coat continue around his body, like behind him? The belt and scabbard: add a loop to the scabbard that will secure around the belt; scabbards work best when not simply shoved into a belt, as it presses against the person too much to be of use. You could ditch the scabbard entirely if you chose, however; it's very piratey just to shove your weapons into your belt or sash and forget the protective sheaths. Okay, back to the coat: how does one put that on? If it's a coat, especially one that parts at the bottom as yours does, it probably seperates up the middle for ease of donning. Buttons help, because a simple cut never stays shut when you need it. And then the cape: is it secured just by being sewn into the shoulders and back of the PRM's coat? If so, that's cool; otherwise, it should wrap around his shoulders a great deal and be secured to itself by a brooch, pin, clasp, or the like. Also, figure out how it's falling behind the PRM; you have hints of it as it comes from the left shoulder, but it disappears as it reaches the ground? Of course, it could be that the other end of the cloak/cape is behind the PRM's leg, which works, as long as one shades to indicate so.

Last negative comment/criticism: the PRM's left hand. No. Just no. Hold up your hands and strike the pose that the PRM is in. If that foremost finger is the thumb, then someone has a weird deformity. If you need to, take a picture with a camera in a mirror while doing that pose (maybe two shots, so you can get both hand pictured in position), so you can see how to get a more natural look.

All of that said, I do love Pirate Red Mages and think that it's great that you're drawing one. Hope my input helps and you improve as you practice your art. Arr.

Rengori
07-03-2006, 06:53 PM
On his left hand his middle and ring finger seemed to have switched places, and after looking at my own hand his thumb should lower.

Other than that I like it. It's better than anything I've been able to make for a while.

Zeromus_X
07-03-2006, 07:17 PM
Haha, thanks for the CC. I never really get proportions right, so it's good to know exactly what I need to improve on. :cat: I'll take everything said into consideration.

Edit: I'll probably just start over with a new sketch with all these things into consideration.

Reine
07-05-2006, 12:15 AM
Arr!

Great to see some PRM support!

I was expecting the hat to be over his eyes, and for him to be a bit more stylish (RMs just ooze style :cool:) but in a rugged piratey way

Keep it up!

Owen Macwere
07-05-2006, 11:12 AM
Erm, hehe. well it is so good, I like the hat very much. but his eye look missplaced alittle and his hand is not right, looks as though it is broken anyway it doesn't look like my hand (I suck at drawing hands *_*).
good work just correct his eye, it looks funny.

Zeromus_X
07-05-2006, 08:22 PM
I've done a new version, as promised. (Complete with a parrot. And what pirate would be complete without a parrot?) It isn't done yet, but it's just the outline.

http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i166/Zeromus_X/?action=view&current=WIPPRMII.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch1

I think it's alot better than the first, but I'm a bit iffy on the left hand. I hope it turned out okay.

Owen Macwere
07-05-2006, 08:26 PM
Oh man, this is so good. now I realise he is looking sideway, right? so his eye is not missplaced after all.
good work and the parrot it is so good. and his hand it can turn alittle more better just work on it a bit more ^_~. this one is definitly alot better than the first. he is a real pirate now.

Rengori
07-05-2006, 09:30 PM
I want those shoes all of the sudden. Anyway, work the lace thing on his eypatch, it's still kinda messed up.

Shauna
07-05-2006, 10:14 PM
Yeah, the eyepatch is a little wrong. :) Look at the picture Her Majesty's Agent Umaro linked to under the eyepatch thing. :) That'll show you how it's supposed to be done. :)

Other than that, I like the look of it! ^_^

Madonna
07-05-2006, 11:04 PM
Arr, that be fine work done with plenty of improvement in such a short while! It seriously does look a hundred times better than the last drawing.

To be just a minor nitpick now, because I really think you did a lot: yeah, get those eyepatches checked. The belt looks a little strange because while most everything else has a lot of detail, it does not. And I think your thumb on that left is curving the wrong way if he's holding out a hand to demand booty or whatnot.

Very, very good work. Cheers.

Zeromus_X
07-10-2006, 02:41 AM
Here's the real part two. Some of the watercolours are a bit sloppy looking, I just notice from the maximized picture. The eyepatch is a bit beyond repair...and his face got kinda messed up by my mistake. (Too much water.) He looks a bit more grotesque and menacing, but I suppose that's fitting of a pirate. I added a treasure chest, of all things. I plan on doing the background later, probably a wash or something.

Mr. Lawl
07-12-2006, 10:58 AM
Whenever I draw a Red Mage(Pirate or otherwise), IMO, the most accented feature needs to be the feather. It is the symbol of the mage (to me, anyway) and mine are usually very large. But this is an interesting concept, a pirate Red Mage. I think it was stated earlier, about his hat, which is still a bit off. I do the same thing all the time, like my avatar, for example, I messed it up like twice. Just, I think, move his hat down on his head, and make his belt a lot more prominent, as this is a feature of pirates. It's a good picture though, you should definately keep up the Red Mage stuff!

Red Mage for life!
Mr. Lawl

Owen Macwere
07-12-2006, 11:03 AM
nice colouring. good work. I love the treasure box ^^.