PDA

View Full Version : Psychological anime

Roto13
07-04-2006, 01:29 AM
I made this thread to get some ideas about what anime to watch (or manga to read) next. I want one that messes with your mind (Serial Experiments Lain, Perfect Blue, Paranoia agent), so disuss Psychological anime and mange here.

NeoCracker
07-04-2006, 05:00 AM
Like listed Paranoia agent was genious. I've heard good things about Monster, but no real Idea what its about. Also the End of Evangelion is a mind trip. Good stuff this psycological anime.

Sylvie
07-04-2006, 05:16 AM
Samurai Champloo and Cowboy Bebop. Top notch stuff right there.

EDIT: Stuff that messes with you? Paranoia Agent and maybe Ghost in the Shell: Stand alone complex.

Avarice-ness
07-04-2006, 06:45 AM
Paranoia Agent just... that was insane, one of my faves. I think I was more "OMG WHAT IS GOING ON THIS IS INSANE!" on the last episode I watched then the first. x X

Markus. D
07-04-2006, 06:48 AM
Dot Hack//Sign in relation to the Tsukasa shorts, they are dark and gloomy ;_; and they really add a bittersweet dark nostalgia to the anime overall (by them I mean when they flashback to Tsukasa in reality, or just flash to Tsukasa, both are just as grim).

The Anime Cutscenes from Kill Bill Volume 1 *shudders*

I wanna see paranoia agent, it sounds good :D

edczxcvbnm
07-04-2006, 06:57 AM
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is the only one that I have seen that might fit what you are looking for. Probably not though. I have seen Lain and thought it sucked and I skipped Paranoid Agent after a few episodes.

Roto13
07-04-2006, 07:01 AM
EDIT: My poor topic...

DoomAntenna
07-04-2006, 09:21 PM
Maybe Boogiepop Phantom would fit what you're going for. It seemed similar in type to Paranoia Agent. If you watch it, though, watch a few episodes, cause the first one is the weakest in the show.

feona17
07-05-2006, 02:00 AM
Psychological Anime? Meaning what, you have to think deeply to understand some of the things going on?

Roto13
07-05-2006, 04:46 AM
Surrealism, metaphors, general weirdness...

Pauten
07-05-2006, 12:00 PM
Neon Genesis Evangelion - Episodes 25 and 26.
Perfect Blue is a classic. It was the first anime film I ever bought so it holds quite a special place in my heart.

Zeromus_X
07-05-2006, 12:04 PM
I adored Paranoia Agent. Haven't seen Monster, but I've heard it's very good.

And yes, there are ALOT of metaphors in PA. Many. Alot. Although I wouldn't have caught all of 'em if not for the plot being dissected so much by summaries.

Pauten
07-05-2006, 12:10 PM
I adored Paranoia Agent. Haven't seen Monster, but I've heard it's very good.

And yes, there are ALOT of metaphors in PA. Many. Alot. Although I wouldn't have caught all of 'em if not for the plot being dissected so much by summaries.

I have yet to see it, but I've been put off a little by BBFC taking out a hanging scene on DVD 3 or something. I dont like censorship.
Satoshi Kon is awesome.

kikimm
07-05-2006, 04:58 PM
Texhnolyze is something you should check out.

Shoeberto
07-05-2006, 05:37 PM
Maybe Boogiepop Phantom would fit what you're going for. It seemed similar in type to Paranoia Agent. If you watch it, though, watch a few episodes, cause the first one is the weakest in the show.
Definitely. Boogiepop is a great psychological series.

Serial Experiments Lain is good too.

Texhnolyze is something you should check out.
How long does it take that one to start really developing? I watched through probably ten episodes before giving up because it seemed to go so slow.

kikimm
07-05-2006, 05:47 PM
Oh yeah, it IS pretty bad in that regard for awhile. I'm trying to think of the exact episode where it picks up, but it just seems to happen so sublty and out of the blue I'm not sure. Although it never really gets high energy or intense or anything like that, there becomes an actual focus probably around...awhile after the halfway point. Then the real story emerges. Takes awhile though and it's not the greatest thing in the world before then, so I'm not surprised you gave up on it. I stuck with it for the most part becuse I paid money for it. =D

Roto13
07-05-2006, 05:59 PM
Hmm, it's only 13 episodes long, right? I can handle 6 or 7 mediocre episodes. ;)

Thanks for your suggestions. I'm looking into them right now. I also bought the first volume of Monster, but haven't read it yet.

Shoeberto
07-05-2006, 06:10 PM
Hmm, it's only 13 episodes long, right? I can handle 6 or 7 mediocre episodes. ;)

Thanks for your suggestions. I'm looking into them right now. I also bought the first volume of Monster, but haven't read it yet.
Texhnolyze is 26 :P

Lain and Boogiepop are both 13, though.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-05-2006, 06:13 PM
Boogiepop also requires you to read several complementary novels in order to understand the plot of the show. There are a few episodes in there that are entertaining in and of themselves, though.

Roto13
07-05-2006, 06:17 PM

Texhnolyze is 26 :P

Lain and Boogiepop are both 13, though.
Yeah, I know that about Lain. It's my favourite anime. :)

EDIT: Are you sure Texhnolyze is 26? I'm looking at the file list for a torrent of it from Boxtorrents, and it only shows 22 episodes and some DVD extras...

DoomAntenna
07-05-2006, 10:18 PM
You're supposed to read some books in order to understand Boogiepop? Well that explains why I had some trouble following the chronology. I just looked up a timeline for it and watched the show. What books are you supposed to read?

XxSephirothxX
07-06-2006, 12:47 AM
I'd go with Evangelion and FLCL, and, to a lesser degree, RahXephon. It's not as psychological or out there as the other two, but it's just so damn good. Perfect Blue was awesome, definitely. And also, if you want a fantastic manga, read Berserk. It gets pretty freaky about a dozen volumes in, but it's kickass in general.

feona17
07-06-2006, 01:45 AM
I'd say FLCL.. and maybe even Witch Hunter Robin. I watched that show over twice, before I completely understood some of the underlying things that were going on. I liked it. It was dark, and interesting.

Markus. D
07-06-2006, 01:48 AM
Psychological Anime? Meaning what, you have to think deeply to understand some of the things going on?

perhaps Psychological Engaging animes?... and ones that can be twisted and have you make you think once you have stopped watching it.

just general wierdness.

Roto13
07-06-2006, 01:57 AM
Witch Hunter Robin isn't really what I'm talking about. I've seen it, and I liked it, but it was pretty straightforward.

LunarWeaver
07-06-2006, 02:15 AM
RahXephon is pretty good...fairly NGE-like but it spins into its own flavor most of the time. It's not really Paranoia Agent psychological but it does dip into the crazybin now and then.

jesteranimefreak
07-06-2006, 02:46 AM
the standard mind fuck anime is NGE. It took me forever to get to the understanding that I have with it now.

black orb
07-06-2006, 03:02 AM
>>> I used to watch lots of these kind of animes but now they bore me to death I dont like them anymore.

K-chan
07-06-2006, 03:04 AM
Akira, now THAT was kinda strange. I only remember a few things from it, like the old-children (forgot what they were really called). I do remember it got pretty out-there at times.

If you want something that's just plain strange and psychotic, watch Cat Soup. I swear, I nearly had a brain aneurism watching that. : P The creators were probably on acid or something when they made it.

The Summoner of Leviathan
07-06-2006, 03:29 AM
Since you have already named Eva, I would say Elfen Lied. Many of the characters do have some sort of psychological problems. It is only 13 episodes long. Since my memory is foggy *links to wiki info*

Elfen Lied (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elfen_Lied)

Azure Chrysanthemum
07-06-2006, 04:36 AM
Try Kino's Journey, that one seemed suitably trippy from what I saw.

A girl, a talking motorcycle, and a bunch of strange stand-alone plots.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-06-2006, 04:40 AM
The plot of Kino's Journey isn't particularly obscure like those of these other shows are. It is, however, really, really good, and you should watch it anyway.

Lilliputian Hitcher
07-06-2006, 04:51 AM
Azumanga Daioh is more fucked up than all of these put together.

Probably

Tasura
07-06-2006, 05:59 AM
Azumanga Daioh is more smurfed up than all of these put together.

Probably

Thats because Azumanga Daioh had no real plot, and if it was there, it is not psychological in any sense, now ummm *browses externals*

Ergo Proxy is a bit mindbending, and still coming out, Groove Adventure Rave is somewhat, with the main characters (one of them at least) having no memory, Soul Taker is just messed up, Noein probably is, with alternate dimensions and time travel.

DoomAntenna
07-06-2006, 06:39 AM
If you're willing to try RahXephon, check out Fafner in the Azure. It won't physically hurt your brain, but it has a pretty complicated plot and a lot of interesting ideas to entertain it with. I would definitely classify it as 'psychological'. (Starts out pretty straightforward though). It's currently one of my favorites.

~SapphireStar~
07-06-2006, 04:53 PM
Perfect Blue, Legend of the Overfied (excellent!) Akira and Elfen Lied are the ones that spring to mind. They really were really what the f**k ...

Lilliputian Hitcher
07-06-2006, 04:55 PM
Elfen Lied wasn't that much of a mind fuck; it was just really, really violent.

~SapphireStar~
07-06-2006, 05:00 PM
Elfen Lied wasn't that much of a mind smurf; it was just really, really violent.
To me it was a ... mind smurf due to the fact that it was like cutey animation and suddnely Lucy pulls off someones head. Tha kinda shocked me cause the colours were bright and it didnt seem like a dark anime. But man, its great.

boris no no
07-06-2006, 08:28 PM
As mentioned very early on Monster is a fantastic psycho thriller
Quick what about - A talented young Japanese surgen in Germany has it all, talent, a great carrier, and engaged to the head of the hospitals daughter. All this changes when he goes against orders and operates on a young boy who had been shot in the head. The boys twin sister witnessed the shooting as well as the murder of the parents. After this his life is torn, he loses his position and his girlfriend. Until more murders take place...all surrounding the boy and his sister....
:D
Its a rather long series though, 74 episodes and you'll have to download it as its not been licenced for dubbing yet. But seriously, its well worth the long download time as its bloody fantastic!

Other animes to look out for
Evangelion
Elfen Lied (another great series, first episode 20 odd people die by having their limbs ripped apart :D)
Perfect Blue
Trinity Blood (I've never watched it all but been told its got a great ending. Its hard to watch but worth while)
Paranoia Agent

Cannot think of any at the moment but I'm sure I'll remember some more ^^