PDA

View Full Version : do you think the junctioning system is flawed?

snakebyte91
07-04-2006, 03:54 PM
i was in another thread today and saw many people thought the junctioning system was flawed so i started this thread to find out if everyone likes or hate the system.

Shin Gouken
07-04-2006, 04:07 PM
How do you mean it's flawed? If you mean it can be abused to over power your characters then it is no more flawed than the job system, materia system, sphere grid or basic leveling up.

Peter_20
07-04-2006, 04:07 PM
I'm pretty ambiguous, really.
I do like the ability to boost Stats like this, and I love it when I finally stock 100 Full-Lifes and 100 Ultimas for everyone. :heart:
However, I also think it's not very practical, because sometimes you can't use the spells without decreasing some of your Stats. :mad2:

snakebyte91
07-04-2006, 04:18 PM
ok i meant that i dont think it is flawed but there are some people who do

Squall_VIII
07-04-2006, 04:23 PM
I think its fine, true you can bend it to do different things
e.g junction 100 of a magic to your character at a low level then you'll be fighting easy enemys with strong characters) that mite be a bad example but it one I uncovered myself

Lilliputian Hitcher
07-04-2006, 04:28 PM
It's not the juctioning system that's the problem really, it's that they made it incredibly easy to obtain powerful magic that made all of your characters into demi-gods. Not only that, offensive magic did a pathetic amount of damage if cast under normal conditions, leaving it pretty much useless in battle.

So really, the junctioning system was fine; it was the utterly moronic implementation of magic within the game that made the battle system a joke.

snakebyte91
07-04-2006, 04:38 PM
thanks for that now i know there are at least a few people who dont think the junctioning system was rubbish :-)

Qurange
07-04-2006, 05:24 PM
It's not perfect, but I thought it was a very good system, that made a lot of sense in the world.

Captain Maxx Power
07-04-2006, 06:15 PM
As pointed out the system's main flaw was the fact that you couldn't use up any spells without your stats dropping. For people such as myself who generally try to avoid using spells it's not as bitter a pill to swallow. It did allow for quite a bit of customisation of your characters, and finding the right spells to put on the right stats is always quite the juggling act. As with almost every FF battle system there were ways to abuse it (There's not many that come to mind that don't have such loopholes. FF1, 3 and 4 seem to be the only ones. The rest offer some way of overpowering your characters to the point of ridiculousness).

snakebyte91
07-04-2006, 07:13 PM
As pointed out the system's main flaw was the fact that you couldn't use up any spells without your stats dropping. For people such as myself who generally try to avoid using spells it's not as bitter a pill to swallow. It did allow for quite a bit of customisation of your characters, and finding the right spells to put on the right stats is always quite the juggling act. As with almost every FF battle system there were ways to abuse it (There's not many that come to mind that don't have such loopholes. FF1, 3 and 4 seem to be the only ones. The rest offer some way of overpowering your characters to the point of ridiculousness).

if you think how powerful bosses become in most ff games (like x-2 when there is a boss more powerful on the desert island than the boss at the end of the game)its just some people go out and get all the spells they need to power them selves.

Xurts
07-04-2006, 09:37 PM
I :heart: the Junction System

DanteV9
07-05-2006, 12:07 AM
It's servicable, very servicable. Though, it still does has a few flaws.

Zeromus_X
07-05-2006, 06:18 AM
It is flawed. Not even a question. Especially with low levels...

Although I don't understand why people think you absolutely can't cast magic ever. You can cast them, just don't cast 20 in the same freaking battle. It isn't like you can't draw it again/card/refine in some way to get it back.

LunarWeaver
07-05-2006, 06:27 AM
There are many things I don't like about it, but I've played so many RPGs that function the same way I'm glad it's rather different then most are.

Darkwing Bahamut
07-05-2006, 08:00 AM
I can't say I liked the Junction system, but it's something different from the other FF systems. It allows more freedom and customization to your stats.

Topcat
07-05-2006, 01:51 PM
It was a brave move by square because it is different to the battle systems of the games previously but i think it was a good idea, and like so many people have said, if you fully understand it, it works really well. For beginers though it can become difficult, i found when i first played that i relied on my summons most of the time and ingnored the system.

snakebyte91
07-05-2006, 02:03 PM
It is flawed. Not even a question. Especially with low levels...

what do you mean at lower levels? it allows you to give a much needed boost for weak players (instead of them just dieying pointlessly).

Lilliputian Hitcher
07-05-2006, 02:09 PM
Player characters at low levels=enemies at low levels=game significantly easier

snakebyte91
07-05-2006, 02:11 PM
yeah ok....... alright then try playing the game with no junction system see how far you get.

Zeromus_X
07-05-2006, 02:13 PM
If you Junction correctly, the enemies will be very weak. Ex: No comparison between a level 15 Ruby Dragon and a level 100 Ruby Dragon. Power leveling to Level 100 will make enemies even more of a pain. (I know I was surprised when I got nuked to death by Ruby Breath for the first time.)

On the other hand, if you stay at a consistent low level throughout the game, with proper Junctions, and then power level with stat-boosters, you can get as close as possible to being invincible.

Not to say it wasn't an innovative and creative system, it was very good in that regard. I had never seen anything like it, at any rate, and it was very interesting. (Especially as it's a part of the story, as well.) It's just very easy to make the game a joke.

Rocket Edge
07-05-2006, 05:41 PM
I heard alot of people talk of this before, but i honestly thought the junction system was a work of genious. Totally customisable, that was where it was so much fun, and i think it really made ff8.

Shin Gouken
07-05-2006, 06:19 PM
I heard alot of people talk of this before, but i honestly thought the junction system was a work of genious. Totally customisable, that was where it was so much fun, and i think it really made ff8.

Exactly... you can spend so much time drawing magic collecting items and cards to refine into spells and customising your characters. The flaw isn't the junction system... it's simply how easily obtainable all the powerful spells are which can max all your stats instantly.

SeeDRankLou
07-05-2006, 06:22 PM
The junction system itself is not flawed. Your magic junctions to a stat and gives you more power, and you give up some of that power if you want to use your magic, which is refillable. You can customize it to your liking, and there are many ways to do so. I thought it was a great system. What is flawed is the junction system combined with the monster-level-up-as-you-do carding-doesn't-level-you-up system. With this combination, and your ability to refine magic, you can have a full stock of about 2/3 of the magic in the game for each character, including Holy, before you leave for Timber, and be able to junction to every stat on the first screen for all three characters.....and still be at level 7.

Jessweeee♪
07-05-2006, 06:24 PM
I had no problem using the magic i junctioned. it was easy enough to get more.
but i did find it annoying when magic junctioned to my hp or strength got blown away fighting ulty. my HP would suddenly drop to 4,000 and my hits weren't doing much.

I found elemental magic used for attacking useless. They don't do much with a low magic stat, even when it's an enemy's weakness.

Shin Gouken
07-05-2006, 06:43 PM
I had no problem using the magic i junctioned. it was easy enough to get more.
but i did find it annoying when magic junctioned to my hp or strength got blown away fighting ulty. my HP would suddenly drop to 4,000 and my hits weren't doing much.

I found elemental magic used for attacking useless. They don't do much with a low magic stat, even when it's an enemy's weakness.

Even a high magic stat with triple and targeting an enemies weakness was pretty pathetic in terms of damage

Qurange
07-05-2006, 06:53 PM
I didn't have the same problem, and especially if magic is used strategically, it's very, very useful.

What's better for a Tonberry? A bunch of physical attacks, or Triple-demi a few times? And so on.

Shin Gouken
07-05-2006, 07:02 PM
I didn't have the same problem, and especially if magic is used strategically, it's very, very useful.

What's better for a Tonberry? A bunch of physical attacks, or Triple-demi a few times? And so on.

Level 10 + 100quakes junctioned to strength + critical health + renzokuken = one-hit-KO

Qurange
07-05-2006, 07:11 PM
I always thought it was really cheap to abuse the system and overuse limit breaks, though. Then, that'd be the problem with the Junction system, fun as it is; it's really, /really/ easy to, instead of using strategy, use cheap, brute force.