PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on which FF to play.

ValiantKnight
07-04-2006, 11:23 PM
Sorry if this is in the wrong area, but seemed the right area.

Currently have:

FFOrigins(I + II)
FFIV(paired with Chrono Trigger)
FFAnthology(V + VI)
FFVII
FFVIII
FFIX
FFX
FFTactics

FFDawn of Souls(cousin has DS... might get a GBA)
and not a FF game, but Dragon Quest VIII

At the moment I have interest in playing a 4 BB on normal and/or BB(or Fi)/BB/WM/BM party on easy(for an ultimate party).
I have interest in finishing FFX(Mushroom Rock operation Mi Hen?)

I have interest in maxing all skills to 100 on Dragon Quest VIII(99/99/93/98 party)
Have slight interest in redoing Tactics.

Have a 79/79/79/79 Fi/BB/WM/BM party in Dawn of Souls that has done everything except go deep into lifespring grotto for the last 2 optional bosses.

I - many parties.. always fun and fast to play through. Beaten many times.
II - never got the hang of it yet.. spent maybe 5hrs total playing.
IV - see II, subtract 3 hrs... actually just never had time to put into it or want yet... loads kinda slow if memory serves.
V - see IV...
VI - played 80% of the way through it.. had lvl 50 party and remember going up some long tower for a box of some sort and finding Strago there as well. also going in some phoenix cave as well.... but that was a year ago and lost the save when lost a memory card.
VII - played many times.. maxed alot of materia... beat all optional bosses.
VIII - played many times... also used stat maxing for last playthrough and its fun having most stats 255 :) Invincibility.
IX - played through 2-3 times.. haven't and will not ever try for Excalibur II.. but have done most of sidequests and beat the optioal boss.
X - played perhaps 10hrs... at mushroom rock, operation mihen. Tidus is a little annoying.. but interested in finishing now...
Tactics - Played one playthrough.. Red and Black Chocobos = /hides in random battles early on in first chapter or was it second. Beat most of the sidequests and done most of the game... VERY LONG GAME
Dawn of Souls - Went with my Fi/BB/WM/BM party and found BB to be mega nerfed, so a little let down. need to finish the last two optional bosses, then I think I'll put Dawn of Souls up for good and let it collect dust. Origins is better imo.
Dragon Quest VIII - 99 Hero, 99 Yangus, 93 Third char, 98 fourth char.
Need to max daggers/swords for third, max clubs/fists for Yangus, max Fisticuffs for fourth, and max boomerangs and fists for Hero. beaten all sidequests to my knowledge, but not going to hunt down super rare drop rates.

Just been kinda not sure which game to play lately, and looking for some ideas.
Pop origins in, or DQ8, or finish FFX? Replay FFVI? Start II, IV, or V?

Sorry again if wrong forum.

Leen-Leen
07-05-2006, 05:45 AM
I say finish FFX. However, I haven't played Origins so I wouldn't know. But I like FFX - I think the story line gets a little bit better as you go on. And the ending was pretty cool.

Zeromus_X
07-05-2006, 06:30 AM
I would finish X. Bar Tida's irritating VA, it's a great game. At least play it once.

Is your FFX the PAL version or the NTSC version?

ValiantKnight
07-05-2006, 06:35 AM
NTSC

Zeromus_X
07-05-2006, 06:38 AM
Aw. :( Well, no Dark Aeons for you then. You still have Nemesis though...well, if you care about the uber-bosses anyway. Don't worry, the main game isn't very long at all, so you can finish it quickly. Just don't mess up on the Sphere Grid...

Sefie1999AD
07-05-2006, 10:31 AM
I'd suggest you to finish FFX since that game is still unfinished. The PSX versions of FFs 4-6 are very annoying because of the loading times and the overall bad conversion, so I wouldn't recommend playing them. When you've beat FFX, you may want to give FFII DoS a chance. The battle system has been made less tedious than in the Origins (although the action-cancel bug/feature doesn't work anymore), I prefer the translation of DoS to the Origins' translation, there's some new extra features too and the game isn't really easy like FFI DoS. I think FFII DoS is actually quite hard, and the Souls of Rebirth extra dungeon is extremely hard.

ValiantKnight
07-05-2006, 07:37 PM
I've heard a lot of good things about IV as well.
I'll give II a shot tho.
I do remember the load time on VI, I think I was almost to the final dungeon but was leveling up or something... or finishing sidequests.

feioncastor
07-05-2006, 11:39 PM
Okay, let me explain something to you.

Final Fantasy Tactics is the best game to ever the words "Final Fantasy" in the title.

However, if FFT is not your bag, you are REQUIRED to finish FF6. It is my second favorite game, ever (behind FFT of course).

And I dont' see how you couldn't get into FF4. I loved it! But I guess, to each his own.

No joke, though. Finishing FF6 is what you are going to do.

ValiantKnight
07-06-2006, 06:08 PM
Barring the graphics are of FF1 WSC/Origins quality, I should have no reason to not get into FFIV... (yea i guess I am a little of a graphics hog in old age). I was just worried about the load times on battles.. FFVI had some slowness to it.. noticable slowness. To tell the truth.. I think it had alot of story at the beginning and I wanted to get into fighting and buying equip and such... and that was taking too long. Then I think I got FF9 or Tactics or something and put it down... but I can't remember.

Never said FFT was bad :) its just LONG
IMO one of the best thinking RPGs of all time.. was a real chance of death alot of the times in that game. Wonderful betrayl story too.

Tavrobel
07-07-2006, 12:09 AM
Finish up FFX and FFII. But don't buy FFX-2.

Also, obtain an Emulator and ROM for FFIV, V, and VI if you hate the load times. You'll have to start over, but it shouldn't hurt that much. However, you might be shocked at the drastic change in difficulty between FFIV original and FFIV on Chronicles.

Shiny
07-07-2006, 12:14 AM
I would finish X. Bar Tida's irritating VA, it's a great game. At least play it once.

Then turn down the volume and just read the subtitles. I agree, that you should finish playing Final Fantasy X, but it's up to you.

Hambone
07-07-2006, 05:23 AM
I reccomend FFVII or FFX.

ValiantKnight
07-07-2006, 03:23 PM
Is Chronicles FFIV easier than original?

Think i'm burned out on 7 and 8
Beat them 5 times or so each... and not much left to do in them.

Tactics is a lovely game.. just so long....
IX I could play again but its close to the "burnt" status of 7 and 8

Tavrobel
07-07-2006, 04:12 PM
FFIV Chronicles is FAR more difficult than FFIV on SNES.

boys from the dwarf
07-07-2006, 04:26 PM
first i think you should finish all of the ones in your possesion then get a snes and play FF3 or wait fot the DS version. FFTA is quite good but not as good as most FFs.

Dreddz
07-07-2006, 05:07 PM
Finish FFVI first.

silentenigma
07-08-2006, 05:10 AM
Finish FFVI first.

Dell
07-08-2006, 09:07 AM
Replay FFVII or Play CC and KH.

Don't finish X because Tidus will cause you a mental problem

Rengori
07-08-2006, 09:47 AM
Finish FFVI first.
Than immediatly afterward FFIV. Once you get past the Magnetic Cave it gets far more interesting.