PDA

View Full Version : The flinch reflex...

SummonerCloud
07-05-2006, 07:16 PM
how would someone reduce,eliminate or even change the flinch reflex(change meanin they reflexively did something else).i just wanna know..heheh.please,either link me or just lemme know.

thanks in advance,
summonercloud.

Old Manus
07-05-2006, 07:46 PM
Remove the spinal cord.

SummonerCloud
07-05-2006, 08:31 PM
funny....but really,i mean some kind of mental/physical training-wise.

as in,that WON'T kill you.
or paralyze you.

Zeromus_X
07-05-2006, 08:33 PM
Well, you'd just have to learn how to not flinch, I suppose. I'd imagine that's rather difficult, being a reflex and all...

Tavrobel
07-05-2006, 08:49 PM
Desensitization to whatever makes you flinch. Surround yourself in it and have it go off whenever you least expect it. Over time, you will flinch less and less. However, this is a long, and sometimes it is forgotten by YOU, and also can set you back if you do it improperly.

Alternatively, you can remove the spinal cord. FAR easier. As you can tell, Old Manus removed his a long time ago. He is flinchless.

Captain Maxx Power
07-05-2006, 09:44 PM
I'd advise against learning not to flinch. It's kinda of a survival mechanism. In certain situations if you don't have it you could, yknow, die 'n' all.

SummonerCloud
07-06-2006, 04:40 AM
as dumb as it sounds,i am into many types of martial arts,and my goal isnt to not flinch,but to not look like a moron doing it.not to look like a wuss but make it look like an active dodge and make it work like an active dodge,block or reversla....any help?

Big D
07-06-2006, 07:10 AM
Hmm. I reckon you should train with a buddy - someone you trust absolutely not to smack you in the head by mistake - so you're more comfortable with forcing yourself not to flinch. Practice parries and evasions over and over, honing them until they're instinctive responses when an opponent strikes at you. Make them into muscle memory, in other words - so that your 'flinch' is actually to evade or block.

For example, a blow toward the head would normally result in a flinch away. Instead, get your training partner to through strike after strike toward your head, but pull them short without actually making contact. Force yourself to do nothing at all, not even blinking, when his hand comes toward your face. Once you can do that comfortably, get him to repeat the same attack, but this time you block or evade it using the appropriate technique.

Remember, though - a flnch can also be important on its own, such as blinking to prevent impact on your eye; and a flinch of a limb or the body can be a good starting-point for a sidestep or counter.

It could also be good to talk to your sensei/instructor/sparring partners about this, too. Experienced practitioners undoubtedly know a few methods for getting around our minds' instinctive reflexes.

xX.Silver.Wings.Xx
07-06-2006, 11:24 AM
If you are used to something happening you won't flinch. If someone stopped short of hitting you over and over again you would sooner or later stop flinching becuase you know s/he won't hit you (hopefully.). It would be near on impossible to teach yourself not to flinch at anything. I wouln't suggest you try anyway. It's a defence mechanism. Just leave it as it is.

Dr.K
07-06-2006, 11:18 PM
I'd personally say flinching is innate i.e. it isn't learned, but 'programmed' as such, into your anatomy. Thus I'd say it'd be very hard, if not impossible to try and 'unlearn' how to flinch. Just imagine trying to stop yourself from smiling every time you found something funny or were happy.
That being said however, alot of intelligent people's posts suggested otherwise - so you never know.

MAS82587
07-06-2006, 11:28 PM
what Tavrobel said is correct. my brother and my flinch reflexes have been cut down some because when we were little kids (7-8) we constantly pretended to hit eachother and over time the reflex wore down some.

SummonerCloud
07-07-2006, 04:08 AM
big d,your reply is what i was looking for.i thank you.

a lot.^^

Mitch
07-07-2006, 04:26 AM
http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/images/rex_kwon_do.jpg

This guy will help

SummonerCloud
07-08-2006, 04:21 AM
I think i want to shoot you.

anyone got a gun?i think that dumb moogle has one....

and by the way,
a dead chompy has better reflexes than him.

Iceglow
07-08-2006, 12:38 PM
You know how whenever something comes towards your eyes you instinctively flinch to protect them and scrunch them up? well I know that I don't do that, I used to but then I just forced myself not to flinch it's a really hard thing to try and not do but now I can actually allow people to touch my eyeballs if they don't back down. It freaks people out and isn't a good idea to start messing with flinch reflexes as they are there to protect you and your body from harm.

SummonerCloud
07-09-2006, 01:55 AM
no,blinkin is ok and i dont want to comletely eliminate it i just wanna be able to turn that flinch into either a dodge or block that doesnt look so stupid.dodges could work just like a flinch i just wanna make it look less idiotic,you know?

jesteranimefreak
07-09-2006, 02:33 AM
Hmmm.... I don't know how much wrestling you use in your training but the flinch reflex has helped me out of some tough spots. If you can get a guy to commit to a shot on your legs and you flinch into either sprawling on top of the guy or counter-stepping in to grab a standing back throw that works real well. Again, I don't know if you use wrestling in your training or not so what I can say would be bumkiss if you don't wrestle. Other than that, I don't know much martial arts.

SummonerCloud
07-09-2006, 02:38 AM
yeh mines more judo tae kwon do aikido,i dunno if thatd help.iall i wanna do is find a way to modify the flinch,at least if i cant change it to block/evade if i can make it not look so stupid looking,lol...