PDA

View Full Version : I used to be such a gentleman...

Peegee
07-05-2006, 09:40 PM
piecharthosen I don't think it was you
piecharthosen but supposedly guinea pigs make good eating
piecharthosen and are able to be farmed in mass numbers
piecharthosen when I learned that I thought of you
piecharthosen isn't that sweet?

...and now I say this on a regular basis. Not out of malice of course, but I no longer do all the gentlemenly things I used to do. In fact I look down on people who do it.

What happened? A combination of things, but ultimately it can be summed up as me being more selfish and less selfless (if at all).

How have you changed? And if you are really young, do you want to change?

Captain Maxx Power
07-05-2006, 09:41 PM
What in the name of sweet Caesar's jock-strap are you talking about?

Zeromus_X
07-05-2006, 09:45 PM
I'm generally apathetic towards people, which some would interpret as being 'selfish' or 'rude' if they wanted to. Other than that, I don't act like a little child if that's what you mean.

MageLuingil
07-05-2006, 09:46 PM
I might have been a gentleman once ... maybe. Maybe not.

I always try to be nice to others, in my own, mean way. At least, I like to think I'm nice to others. Hopefully I'm not too nasty :)

drunkymonkey
07-05-2006, 09:48 PM
I'm nice to people who are nice to me. I am horribly dispicable to people who are not nice to me.

But I do do a lot of things that are expected of a gentlemen, such as opening doors for people.

Peegee
07-05-2006, 10:05 PM
can you open a door for me?

If not you sir are sexist!

:D

drunkymonkey
07-05-2006, 10:10 PM
can you open a door for me?

If not you sir are sexist!

:DI open the door for anyone, but I hate it when the person doesn't say thanks.

Those pricks!

Jess
07-05-2006, 11:27 PM
I'm a lot happier than I used to be. I can't remember the last time I was really sad. I'm more self-confident too, and from being a total pessimist I'm starting to try and be optimistic about things. :jess:

I'm not a gentleman. I wonder why.

ScottNUMBERS
07-05-2006, 11:43 PM
Jess don't be so hard on yourself. :( I think you'd make a great gentleman. :)

Zeromus_X
07-05-2006, 11:50 PM
Oh, you mean common courtesy? Oh, yeah, I've got that down. You learn that in kintergarden, I mean come on. I guess people forget it when they become adults or something...

Jess
07-05-2006, 11:52 PM
Jess don't be so hard on yourself. :( I think you'd make a great gentleman. :)
xD

I'm glad to see somebody does, ScottNUMBERS. :jess:

ScottNUMBERS
07-05-2006, 11:54 PM
I doubt I'm alone in thinking this. :rolleyes2

mooglebunni608
07-05-2006, 11:55 PM
I used to be wicked nice and generous and the all around little angel... now my dad complains about me being sarcastic and antisocial and selfish... frankly I don't care. But my parents do...

I'm nice to people who are nice to me. I am horribly dispicable to people who are not nice to me. same here.

Mr. Graves
07-06-2006, 12:02 AM
I think I can relate to what PG is talking about. If you've been giving respect, but find that people don't appreciate it and/or find that other people aren't doing the same to you or other people in general, it makes a person wonder why they bother. I can't say I necessarily look down on people who do it. If they set themselves up to be treated like dirt in response to being a gentleman and showing some semblence of respect, then that is their business. I used to show respect to strangers, but now, seeing as most people around me are generally respectless slobs, I've sort of forgotten the point of doing it at all. It's a shame, but I've found it a necessary evil.

If I have the door held open for me, I would show respect back, however. No reason to run over the still-respectful few.

Captain Maxx Power
07-06-2006, 01:18 AM
I reiterate;

What in the name of sweet Caesar's jock-strap are you talking about?

fire_of_avalon
07-06-2006, 02:09 AM
I haven't changed much in the manners department since I was about thirteen. Basically, every person I meet starts out with the exact same amount of respect. Their actions immediately following my introduction to them raises or lowers the amount of respect I have for them, and this influences the way I behave towards them.

I have common courtesy when it comes to opening doors. If I'm there first, I open the door and let everyone else go in. I hold the door for people leaving behind me. I don't drape my coat over puddles, because they're fun to splash.