PDA

View Full Version : Dilly Dally Shilly Shally

Cyberdemon
07-06-2006, 02:27 AM
Didn't you just want to shoot yourself when they said that in the movie?

Cruise Control
07-06-2006, 02:49 AM
That pisses me off.

Ryushikaze
07-06-2006, 02:57 AM
No. All told, probably the best translation in spoken english. 'Dragging dragging' would be too obvious, and you try coming up with an asthetically pleasing onomatopoeia for dragging in english.

Cruise Control
07-06-2006, 03:51 AM
Bah. I count that as an excuse. What the could have done was say "Hurry the fuck up and stop moping around you lazy bastard!"

Ryushikaze
07-06-2006, 04:02 AM
And thus totally destroy the line, the feel of the scene, and Tifa's character. Good plan. ::rolls eyes::

Cruise Control
07-06-2006, 04:11 AM
I know.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-06-2006, 04:44 AM
English-speaking people aren't in love with onomatopoeia nearly as much as the Japanese are, so directly translating that line was a doomed venture in the first place. They should have just taken the liberty of changing it to something more literal.

Big D
07-06-2006, 06:36 AM
Meh, they did a reasonable job of capturing the intent of a pretty hard-to-translate Japanese term. Sure it sounded a little clunky because they had to double the length of the word, but it fit nicely enough - particularly when Cloud later brings up his emotional "weight loss" on account of "all that dilly-dallying". That was a good bit of translating, I think, since it sounded much less pretentious and emo than the Japanese dialogue, and also tied in with the fact that both Tifa and Aerith has mentioned dilly-dallying to him earlier.

Of course, if they had changed the line to something different, then there'd be about a dozen threads complaining that the evil translators had butchered a really meaningful Japanese colloqualism. Either way, there'd be complaint, so it doesn't matter too much.

vorpal blade
07-06-2006, 10:18 AM
So it was a good translation. Doesn't stop it from being the worst line in the movie. Sounds like something you'd say to a kid. I guess that makes sense and all, but still. It's an awful thing to say.

Marly
07-06-2006, 11:04 AM
I don't see what all the fuss was about. It didn't sound that bad.

BardTard
07-06-2006, 03:55 PM
I haven't seen the english version but I like it. Dilly dally shilly shally. :lol: It sounds funny. Funny things make me laugh.

MageLuingil
07-06-2006, 04:04 PM
It bugged me a little bit, but I agree that it's probably the best translation for the situation. And I don't mind that kind of thing all that much anyway. My brother went crazy over some of the translations in the movie though...

Azure Chrysanthemum
07-06-2006, 05:33 PM
Given what they had to work with they did a pretty good job with the translation.

LunarWeaver
07-06-2006, 06:43 PM
I didn't mind it terribly. And like Big D said "dilly dallying" fits in with what Cloud states later. It would have been strange to say "I feel lighter. Must be all that dragging dragging" or something.

It's kind of like the whole Tidus/Yuna laughing thing to me, I'm surprised at the backlash of it all. If had I to translate it I would have made Tifa say "She's dead, shut the hell up already", so I guess it's good I didn't do the translation.

Slade
07-07-2006, 02:00 AM
"Hurry the smurf up and stop moping around you lazy bastard!"
That line would have been much more suited :jess:

boys from the dwarf
07-13-2006, 10:00 PM
its o.k. they did very well with the translation. i think at the start when yazoo and loz keep on saying "dont cry loz/yazoo." . there are no real annoying line that make me stab myself in this film.

MAS82587
07-13-2006, 10:17 PM
i still think "blah blah blah" would have been 20 times better.

zbonks
07-14-2006, 12:36 AM
I would have made Tifa say "She's dead, shut the hell up already",

Amen its way better than dilly dally shilly shally
but we can't change the lines so we are gonna have to live with it:mad:

Big D
07-14-2006, 01:03 AM
i still think "blah blah blah" would have been 20 times better.But that doesn't carry the message about dithering/dilly-dallying, which was the whole point...

Spawn of Sephiroth
07-14-2006, 02:30 AM
i didn't really care for it much, although i did think it was kinda gay in a way, but i think they could have put something different in there like ssdd.

jesteranimefreak
07-14-2006, 01:56 PM
Look at it this way, rewrite that line and you have to rewrite Reno's explanation of said line. You'd also have to rewrite Cloud's "Must be all that dilly dallying." Before he goes and fights. Rewrites = more money. More money = bigger budget. Bigger budget = bigger headache for Sony. You really want to be responsible for a headache for Sony? :D

Shaun_lawless
07-14-2006, 08:25 PM
i liked that line it left me in knots lol dilly dally shilly shally hahaha!!

DJZen
07-14-2006, 10:22 PM
It would have been MUCH better if Tifa had said "dragging dragging dragging..." because it doesn't sound retarded and it's made up of actual words. Also, the delivery of that line was REALLY bad. *stabs ear*

G SpOtZ
07-15-2006, 12:12 AM
Solution: Learn Japanese and watch the original version. =]

I enjoyed the original version with Japanese much more, anyway. Obviously, you can't translate EVERYTHING from Japanese to English accurately, so some things have to be changed around a bit. I'm half Japanese, so I actually could understand the Japanese version and it's much better and makes a bit more sense. The single line of "dilly dally" didn't bother me that much in the English version anyway... It's just a single line, get over it. =P

DarkLadyNyara
07-15-2006, 06:37 AM
Didn't you just want to shoot yourself when they said that in the movie? Not myself, just the translators. I prefered the "zuruzuruzuruzuru" line to that.

Nakor TheBlue Rider
07-15-2006, 09:37 AM
OMG

THAT line ALONE makes me watch the movie in Japanese with subtitles rather than English Dubs.

That is the exact reason why id rather watch a movie with subtitles than a translation.

It comes across much less "retarded" in Japanese.

Laugh at face of Danger
07-17-2006, 11:37 AM
They'd have been better off saying something like "shut the hell up whining" but the problem with the ddss, i don't even want to write it let alone say it, is its annoyingly addictive and it wouldn't get out of my head for about three days, that drove me to the brink of insanity

Dr. Acula
07-22-2006, 08:39 AM
I haven't seen the english version but I like it. Dilly dally shilly shally. :lol: It sounds funny. Funny things make me laugh.
Rock on! That's like me.
I have the jap version, so to me it's just "zuruzuruzuruzuruzuru"